Options

'Dragonball' Movie on Track: What the Fuck, Chow?

• Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited December 2007
    God why won't this movie die?

Live action anime does not work.

I beg to differ.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4EPXdF2bEPY

Aroduc on
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Aroduc wrote: »

I beg to differ.

as good a movie as City Hunter was, it was not a good City Hunter movie.

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    ege02ege02 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    Dragon Ball Z...

I enjoyed the original ones.

ege02 on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited December 2007
    Lanz wrote: »

I beg to differ.

as good a movie as City Hunter was, it was not a good City Hunter movie.

:whistle: City Hunter! :whistle:

Aroduc on
  • Options
    Alucard6986Alucard6986 xbox: Ubeltanzer swtor: UbelRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Every day I wonder what the progress is on that NGE movie. Because I have a lot of optimism that it'll be a great adaption, based on the excellent concept art that's been thrown around for years.

Uhhh, what?

Development hell is development hell and has no bearing on the quality of the project. This includes everything from atlas shrugged to indy 4.

Alucard6986 on
    PSN: Ubeltanzer Blizzard: Ubel#1258
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Every day I wonder what the progress is on that NGE movie. Because I have a lot of optimism that it'll be a great adaption, based on the excellent concept art that's been thrown around for years.

Uhhh, what?

Development hell is development hell and has no bearing on the quality of the project. This includes everything from atlas shrugged to indy 4.

I'm not sure I'd even call NGE's status "Development hell" just yet. Aside from promises of "big news" in the fall a year or two ago that never developed, and the fact that we haven't heard much about it lately doesn't speak badly to me for a project that was tenatively dated between like 2009 and 2013 or so (last I heard at least).

It's feasibly a long long time to wait, but I wouldn't call this true 'development hell' for another half decade.

That said, keep writing Weta.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    QuazarQuazar Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    According to Hollywood Reporter, Jamie Chung (Samurai Girl) has been cast as Chi Chi in Fox's Dragonball adaptation. Stephen Chow will produce the film, which will feature Justin Chatwin as Goku and James Marsters Piccolo.

-aintitcool

So they'll get an asian to play Chi Chi, but not Goku? At least they're not completely excluding the notion of foreign actors. I haven't seen Samurai Girl, but it sounds like they want Chi Chi to have a few fighting scenes (which she does get in Dragonball, until she Moms up and becomes incredibly lame in DBZ).
    The Saiyans are an ape-esque race from another planet. They don't look Asian. Nappa is proof of that.

Quazar on
    Your sig is too tall. -Thanatos
    atl7hahahazo7.png
    XBL: QuazarX
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Forar wrote: »
    Dragonball Z?

Give me Robotech and NGE live action, or give me death!

Isn't there a live action Robotech movie in production? With Tobey Maguire starring and producing?

Kyougu on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

I beg to differ.

See what I could do is link to the Cutie Honey Live action adaption.

I won't though because it violates the Geneva convention.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

I beg to differ.

Even more proof!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FEd-lhbj1gQ
    Only kinda more serious but not really.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    043043 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    043 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kk9fGI90qdM

I heard the movie was balls except for the action sequences, but well... isn't that what DBZ is like anyway?

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Kyougu wrote: »
    Dragonball Z?

Give me Robotech and NGE live action, or give me death!

Isn't there a live action Robotech movie in production? With Tobey Maguire starring and producing?

Both are in the earliest of early forms of pre-pre-pre production, I believe, with the NGE one at least having some concept art done a few years back, and comments from Weta about getting a lot of mail about it.

Robotech was just picked up by a company Tobey Maguire owns (or something) and yes, he's expressed interest in a roll, "Rick Hunter" I'd assume.

Which I'd be fine with.

I think he could also pull of Max Sterling, who is my favourite character from the series, but it'd probably just be too close to Peter Parker for his liking (that is to say, it'd just be him playing the same role without having to put on a Spider-Man outfit).

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kk9fGI90qdM

I heard the movie was balls except for the action sequences, but well... isn't that what DBZ is like anyway?

There's a lot of those kinds of movies out. They have a shitty plot(like massive green diarrhea kind of shitty) but the action is beyond awesome.

shadowless sword
    Ninjas that shoot shurikens like they were AK-47 rounds, and it had the pirates of the carribean in the beginning for some reason.

dragon tiger gate
    Based on a manga, and it's got that boss from Garou: Mark of the Wolves as the main bad guy.

There's also "a chinese tall story" which is basically the chinese Dragon Ball (Journey to the east... or west... the one with the monkey king that dragon ball was based from). However the plot is the most bizarre thing ever. I couldn't find a trailer that would have made any kind of sense... just to give you an incite on how strange it is: they managed to fit a UFO and Spider man in to a movie about ancient Chinese mythology.

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

Uhhh, what?

I'm not sure I'd even call NGE's status "Development hell" just yet. Aside from promises of "big news" in the fall a year or two ago that never developed, and the fact that we haven't heard much about it lately doesn't speak badly to me for a project that was tenatively dated between like 2009 and 2013 or so (last I heard at least).

It's feasibly a long long time to wait, but I wouldn't call this true 'development hell' for another half decade.

That said, keep writing Weta.

Remember Cameron wanting to do Battle Angel? That was announced what, way back in 1991?

Live anime adaptions take a while, that's the sad truth. I'm hoping some progress is being done on the Eva movie, or that the success of the DB movie helps speed up these other projects.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    oh god

casshern was so awful

I was just staring in disbelief near the end when the castle turns into a giant (horribly animated) robot that starts stomping a horribly animated army

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Youtube or it didn't happen.

For that matter, I'd like some clips on the live Death Note as well. I've heard bad things, and yet the promotional pictures look awfully cool.

• Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited December 2007
    Youtube or it didn't happen.

For that matter, I'd like some clips on the live Death Note as well. I've heard bad things, and yet the promotional pictures look awfully cool.

Huh? All accounts I've heard are that, aside from radically changing the resolution of the first half (where the movies change to an ending instead of going into the orphanage crapola), the two movies were very well done.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Hmm, that's not what I heard, although I've only read brief impressions. Crappy CG for the Shinigami, along with several plot changes, including
    Light being a good guy.

• Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Hmm, that's not what I heard, although I've only read brief impressions. Crappy CG for the Shinigami, along with several plot changes, including
    Light being a good guy.

You've heard vastly wrong, the Shinigami looks as great as something that unworldly looking could in a live action movie.

The plot changes work well, unless you are so completely invested in the original that any changes are bad.

Also
    Light is just as manipulative and bad, the initial Ray Penbar stuff is almost perfectly emulated and the first movie ending just cements it.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Well I've been interested in checking it out regardless. Any word on a US release?

Also, I read one comment in aintitcool that WB was interested in doing a live NA Death Note movie. This wouldn't surprise me even a little, as DN is tailor made for live adaption and would gain a large american appeal, being one of those modern remakes of Japanese horror movies (even though DN is more of a thriller, but there are horror elements).

• Options
    edited December 2007
    And we have our Bulma.

Emmy Rossum
    35632.jpg

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Wow.
    She's cute.

Insert Oolong image here. :lol:

• Options
    aesiraesir __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    smart move having it based on DB instead of DBZ. The fights arent so unrealistically silly in DB. Much more plausible for live action.

aesir on
  • Options
    MuragoMurago Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I wonder if the movie will have dragonballs...

or cloud nimbus...

or oolong...

or if goku will have a tail...

he should have a tail i think.

I really hope he has his extending bow staff.

Murago on
    Check out www.myspace.com/scarborough -- tell me what you think!
  • Options
    SilvoculousSilvoculous Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    aesir wrote: »
    smart move having it based on DB instead of DBZ. The fights arent so unrealistically silly in DB. Much more plausible for live action.

Agreed, I want to see some actual martial-arts shit, not overly-bulged muscles and energy beams tearing up random-ass giant valleys.

I retain that this movie has the potential to be awesome, in a silly kind of way.

Silvoculous on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    aesir wrote: »

Agreed, I want to see some actual martial-arts shit, not overly-bulged muscles and energy beams tearing up random-ass giant valleys.

I retain that this movie has the potential to be awesome, in a silly kind of way.

you forgot to mention the training and powering up that would take up 75% of the movie.

Though it does diminish the odds of Vegeta saying "OVER 9,000!"

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    It's being reported that Master Roshi has been cast.

He will be played by Chow Yun Fat...

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Bullcrap.

• Options
    edited December 2007
    Kyougu on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited December 2007
    I demand Sammo Hung as Yajirobe. DEMAND IT.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    That's....

What?

I have no idea if this is a terrible idea or an awesome idea. Fat playing an aging old man with a beard and a turtle shell who hits on 16 year old girls?

Man, the photoshops that must be going on right now. Someonel link them once they appear.

This I approve.

Also, Jackie Chan has to be in the movie, somewhere. He was one of Toriyama's biggest influences in the series (Jackie Chun!), so they have to find a small role for him somewhere.

• Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    That's....

What?

I have no idea if this is a terrible idea or an awesome idea. Fat playing an aging old man with a beard and a turtle shell who hits on 16 year old girls?

Man, the photoshops that must be going on right now. Someonel link them once they appear.

This I approve.

Also, Jackie Chan has to be in the movie, somewhere. He was one of Toriyama's biggest influences in the series (Jackie Chun!), so they have to find a small role for him somewhere.

Don't Jackie Chan and Stephen Chow not get along very well? Having Chan in it at some point would be pretty great though.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    So it turns out there's a blog keeping tracks of this movie.

http://www.dragonballmovieblog.com/
    This particular set is for "Unitech High School" where Goku will take classes. According to the site, the license plates of all the cars say "City Of The Future", while the cars themselves run on "solar cells". In the scene being shot, Goku is ridding a bike when the yellow sports car hits him.

There are so many things wrong with this statement it isn't funny. I know liberties must be taken, but making Goku a highschool student is NOT one of them. It completely ruins Goku's well-meaning personality (the guy's a hick, literally. Never been to no school, just keeps on the trainin') but it also removes one of the major differences between him and Gohan (he's the smart one).

I suppose Bulma will be his teacher, or Senpai (the latter would be more accurate since she is a college student at the start of the series).

• Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    With every news report about this movie, another piece of my soul dies.

Is Chow Yun-Fat starving? Does he need money to fuel his crack habit? Why would he do this?

Quoth on
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Wow.

This is a surprising turn of events.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    The set pictures, the ones with Goku...he looks so plain.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

I hate to say it but I agree. I hope they don't turn Goku into a nerdy socially awkward teenager. He needs to be a happy go lucky country bumpkin.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    MikeRyu wrote: »

I hate to say it but I agree. I hope they don't turn Goku into a nerdy socially awkward teenager. He needs to be a happy go lucky country bumpkin.

Here's the pics for anyone wondering.
    dbzmex1.jpg

I'm guessing they won't go with a tailed Goku either.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    These could just be pre-makeup pics.

I hope.