Options

'Dragonball' Movie on Track: What the Fuck, Chow?

• Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Aroduc wrote: »

I don't think I ever wanted to see Jackie Chan dressed as Chun-Li.

I feel like my childhood was felt up in a church.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Kyougu wrote: »
    MikeRyu wrote: »
    Kyougu wrote: »
    The set pictures, the ones with Goku...he looks so plain.

I hate to say it but I agree. I hope they don't turn Goku into a nerdy socially awkward teenager. He needs to be a happy go lucky country bumpkin.

Here's the pics for anyone wondering.
    dbzmex1.jpg

I'm guessing they won't go with a tailed Goku either.

O_o :|D:

Mr Bubbles on
  • Options
    DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm just waiting to see what Piccolo looks like

DanHibiki on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    DanHibiki wrote: »
    I'm just waiting to see what Piccolo looks like

Hopefully it's more then just Spike with a turban.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    WienkeWienke Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I just got this awful feeling that this is gonna be Dragonball meets Smallville. Which was Superman meets Dawson's Creek.

So therefore this is Dragonball meets Dawson's Creek.

D:

Wienke on
    PSN: TheWienke
  • Options
    Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I really hope this is good, but after seeing those pictures of Goku, I've lost a little heart.

But I don't see why everyone is all upset about them making it not fit into the DB 'storyline' since all of the animated movies don't either.

Edit: Best friend has been cast, a 'nerdy know it all'. And apparently this is a trilogy.

Mr Pink on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Krillin is a know it all, but nerdy?

I can forsee this being either okay, or so bad it's good.
    I have a few ideas that would make those screenshots not so painful, but it's a stretch.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    alivatnaalivatna Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Well, he does kinda have a nasally voice in the dub. But that's about as far as the nerdy thing goes.

alivatna on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Krillin is a know it all, but nerdy?

I can forsee this being either okay, or so bad it's good.
    I have a few ideas that would make those screenshots not so painful, but it's a stretch.

It's not Krillin.

It's a new character, name "Teto."

Christ.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Whaaaaat.
    Why do they even need to do that?

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    There's a post on that blog about the hair.
    Justin Chatwin wont wear a wig because his hair is "already like Goku's".

What? If the image on the previous page isn't before make-up, I'll crack. I mean, come on, young Goku's hair was about the height of his torso!

On a brighter note, though:
    Most of the female characters (both lead and extras) will have unique hairstyles. Most notibly Emmy Rossum, Bulma, will wear a blue wig.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I have no words for how bad this is looking.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    whitey9whitey9 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    If Stephen Chow directed, I would be the first person in line. As it stands, I'm going to be at home eating Captain Crunch.

whitey9 on
    llcoolwhitey.png
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm probably going to see this in theatres. I have to have hope.

If it sucks, then I'll just print off a copy of the DVD release's cover art and stick it on a Freeza Saga box set. It'd be better for all involved.

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Whaaaaat.
    Why do they even need to do that?

Maybe they want to increase the human element in the saga. After all, 3/4 of the DB cast is either an alien or a humanoid of sorts (Tien's third eye, whatever the hell Chiaotzu is supposed to be). There's always this hollywood bullshit about how audiences never connect to the non-human characters, even if they're the leads. Hence why Sam got more screentime despite everyone and their mother telling him to move the fuck over and let Optimus have the spotlight.

That said, I hope this guy isn't a literal substitute for Krillin. I demand my lovable noseless bald monk who holds the record for most deaths overall (5 if you're wondering).

And you guys best brace yourself for whatever they do for Goku's hair, because there's no way they're going to do a literal recreation.

Which is too bad, because I would have loved to see them attempt Raditz' hairdo. O_o

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    They should just CG in all the hair. Problem solved. Also, what the fuck, live Dragon Ball.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    5 deaths.... hmm.
    Died in the Vegeta/ Nappa fight... died in the Namek saga from Freeza... died fighting Cell and Buu?
    I tink I might have to rewatch this series, because my 12 year old memories are not serving me well.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    PbPb Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    5 deaths.... hmm.
    Died in the Vegeta/ Nappa fight... died in the Namek saga from Freeza... died fighting Cell and Buu?
    I tink I might have to rewatch this series, because my 12 year old memories are not serving me well.

I thought he survived the Vegeta fight, and died when the first Saiyan came to Earth.

Pb on
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    According to Wikipedia he died in Dragonball by a henchman of Piccolo Daimao (evil Piccolo I'm guessing). He then got whacked by Freeza (triggering the rage needed to go Super Saiya-Jin by Goku). He gets killed and eaten by Buu.

That's three. Did he die in the movies?

devoir on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Pb wrote: »
    5 deaths.... hmm.

I thought he survived the Vegeta fight, and died when the first Saiyan came to Earth.

No, he definately died in that fight. I think. Because he had to go to King Kai? Or was that just everyone else?

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    Mmmm... Cocks...Mmmm... Cocks... Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    5 deaths.... hmm.

No, he definately died in that fight. I think. Because he had to go to King Kai? Or was that just everyone else?
    I remember it being a trio of Tien, Yamcha and Chaozu(butchered?) Krillian might have after being killed by Freiza to kill time or something, I dunno. But he survived Vegeta because I remember him laying there battered and bruised. Thumbs up and all that.

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited December 2007
    5 deaths.... hmm.

Everybody else. He was the one that ended up throwing Goku's spirit ball.

Aroduc on
  • Options
    Thadeus SurgeThadeus Surge Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I dout there will be very many people who will be happy with this movie. I really hope that i am wrong.

Thadeus Surge on
  • Options
    AnimeleeAnimelee Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I wish it was good. I was optimistic for Transformers, then I saw Megatron. Still optimistic. Then I saw the movie, and it was just shit. Thank god for the cartoons (the new one starts on Wednesday!)

I was optimistic for this. So optimistic, that my brother and I started watching Dragon Ball again last week (this time in its original Japanese), as well as playing the crap out of Tenkaichi 3 for the Wii.

We're still watching Dragon Ball (then Dragon Ball Z in original form!), but this movie is looking worse and worse.

I thought this would be the revival of Dragon Ball [Z]. I was hoping -- even though there was zero chance of it happening -- that the awesomeness of the movie would inspire Akira Toriyama to continue the manga. After all, GT was a [non-canon] piece of fanfic-like shit, and Z is the true ending, and I'd love to see Akira continue the manga, thus spurring a new anime series.

I know, I know, the chances of that are next to zero, but still... I thought this movie was going to rock. Like someone earlier said, it's looking to be Dragon Ball meets Dawson's Creek.

Hopefully Christopher Nolan will come along in ten years and reboot the movies!

I know what some of your are thinking: "Dude, you haven't even seen a trailer yet! Shut the fuck up!"

Well, I have one word for you: Teto.

Animelee on
    universeah3.jpg
    Pokeymanz: 4081 1995 6825 (If you add me, let me know! :D)
  • Options
    gabrielzerogabrielzero Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    devoir wrote: »
    According to Wikipedia he died in Dragonball by a henchman of Piccolo Daimao (evil Piccolo I'm guessing). He then got whacked by Freeza (triggering the rage needed to go Super Saiya-Jin by Goku). He gets killed and eaten by Buu.

That's three. Did he die in the movies?

He got killed in GT by Android 17. And it was lame.

Poor Krillain

gabrielzero on
    Roleplay Adventures <--- If you like to role-play , then this is the forum for you. ^_^
  • Options
    Inglorious CoyoteInglorious Coyote Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    5 deaths.... hmm.

He died fighting Radditz ( he held him while Piccolo blasted them both), and was rasied just in time to fight Nappa and Vegeta.

Inglorious Coyote on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Wienke wrote: »
    I just got this awful feeling that this is gonna be Dragonball meets Smallville. Which was Superman meets Dawson's Creek.

So therefore this is Dragonball meets Dawson's Creek.

D:

oh god. I remember the last time I checked up on the show, they were introducing some superhero teenager team, with a bunch of kid versions of some superhoes . Naturally, I was like "What is this shit, Teen Titans?"

Of course, my friend who is a total snob about it, says ot me "Well no, it's not a valid cmoparison becasue the group is not the same and there's no robin and blah blah blah I completely missed the fucking point."

I really need to make more friends.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    edited December 2007
    5 deaths.... hmm.

He died fighting Radditz ( he held him while Piccolo blasted them both), and was rasied just in time to fight Nappa and Vegeta.
    What? That was Goku, I thought we were talking about Krillian here?

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    About Krillin (and this is purely from memory, big fanboy here).

Dragonball:

1. Killed by Tamborine, King Piccolo's henchman.

Dragonball Z:

2. Killed by Frieza.

3. Killed by the Androids in Trunks' future (this counts since Trunks' timeline was never changed, he only created an alternate timeline where everyone but Goku survived).

4. Eaten by Boo, killed when Boo blows up the whole planet (well actually, I'm unclear if he was trapped along with Piccolo, Goten, Gohan, and Trunks, but regardless, he died anyway).

Dragonball GT:

5. Killed by Android 17.

Also, Krillin might actually be tied with Chiaotzu for most deaths overall. Let's see here.

Dragonball:

1. Killed by King Piccolo.

Dragonball Z:

2. Sacrifices himself to destroy Nappa (and only dented his armor a little).

3. Killed during Trunks' timeline by the Androids.

4. Killed by default when Boo destroys the earth (note, this event also guarantees all other mortal characters have died at least once, not counting anyone born afterwards like Pan, and one other character who never died even once in the whole series. Take a guess who).

Since he never dies in GT, Krillin has him beat by one additional death. Good job! ^_^

• Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    According to Wikipedia he died in Dragonball by a henchman of Piccolo Daimao (evil Piccolo I'm guessing).

Daimo was actually Piccolo's "father". Daimo had been locked away in a bottle of sorts for a long time, until Pilaf and his henchmen set him free. He then proceeded to try to take over the world with his henchmen (all named after musical instruments btw)seeking out the Dragonballs. Krillin dies after the second tournament, which sets Goku out to get revenge.

Man, I'm sure it's been said, but Dragon Ball is just so much fucking better than Z. And I'm a fan of Z.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    noir_blood wrote: »
    According to Wikipedia he died in Dragonball by a henchman of Piccolo Daimao (evil Piccolo I'm guessing).

Daimo was actually Piccolo's "father". Daimo had been locked away in a bottle of sorts for a long time, until Pilaf and his henchmen set him free. He then proceeded to try to take over the world with his henchmen (all named after musical instruments btw)seeking out the Dragonballs. Krillin dies after the second tournament, which sets Goku out to get revenge.

Man, I'm sure it's been said, but Dragon Ball is just so much fucking better than Z. And I'm a fan of Z.

I see Piccolo Junior as being more of a clone than a son. He's always been treated as pretty much the same character especially with the Kame stuff.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    MikeRyu wrote: »
    noir_blood wrote: »

I see Piccolo Junior as being more of a clone than a son. He's always been treated as pretty much the same character especially with the Kame stuff.
    Well with asexual reproduction it's all pretty much the same, yea?

Mmmm... Cocks... on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Technically he's a clone, but King Piccolo does refer to him as "my son". This also serves to give Piccolo Jr a clean slate, since he doesn't kill any humans or do anything too evil before the Raditz fight. So basically he's kind of a resurrected offspring.

By the way, it seems that Mai has been cast for the movie, which is pretty surprising given what a minor character she is in the series. Perhaps they'll switch gears and make her King Piccolo's henchwoman instead of Pilaf. I just wonder if Shou will still be her partner. No word yet on any of the animal characters.

• Options
    noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Technically he's a clone, but King Piccolo does refer to him as "my son". This also serves to give Piccolo Jr a clean slate, since he doesn't kill any humans or do anything too evil before the Raditz fight. So basically he's kind of a resurrected offspring.

By the way, it seems that Mai has been cast for the movie, which is pretty surprising given what a minor character she is in the series. Perhaps they'll switch gears and make her King Piccolo's henchwoman instead of Pilaf. I just wonder if Shou will still be her partner. No word yet on any of the animal characters.

A ninja dog is far too good of an idea to have in this movie. He should have his own.

noir_blood on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Well unfortunately, he wasn't much of a ninja. He had that dog whistle, but that was about the only notable thing he did.

But still, dog in a ninja suit. Yes, put him in.

• Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    4. Killed by default when Boo destroys the earth (note, this event also guarantees all other mortal characters have died at least once, not counting anyone born afterwards like Pan, and one other character who never died even once in the whole series. Take a guess who).

Since he never dies in GT, Krillin has him beat by one additional death. Good job! ^_^

Everytime I think I know who hasn't died, I remember that they did.

The only one I can think of is that rabbit king or whatever from Dragonball, that Goku sent up there to make candy or whatever. But technically, the moon did get blown up.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

Would that be Mr. Satan, btw?

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Mr. Satan was never killed I believe.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Deviant HandsDeviant Hands __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    You know why its hard to make anime movies? Because anime by default is a style that is fucking cheap as it is gimmicky, and when you translate it to live action it just becomes ridiculous and unwatchable. Just awful. What's next, live action Naruto or Pokemon?

Deviant Hands on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Mr Satan is the correct answer. Lucky bastard managed to survive the entire series without dying even once.

But then again that is why he's Earth's greatest hero.