Options

'Dragonball' Movie on Track: What the Fuck, Chow?

• Options
    FCDFCD Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    You know why its hard to make anime movies? Because anime by default is a style that is fucking cheap as it is gimmicky, and when you translate it to live action it just becomes ridiculous and unwatchable. Just awful. What's next, live action Naruto or Pokemon?

Well, there certainly is a lot of crap anime, but there's also still quite a bit that is decent, and that even gets adapted into live-action fairly well. I've heard good things about the live-action Death Note movies, for example.

FCD on
    Gridman! Baby DAN DAN! Baby DAN DAN!
  • Options
    BedigunzBedigunz Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Mr Satan is the correct answer. Lucky bastard managed to survive the entire series without dying even once.

But then again that is why he's Earth's greatest hero.

Yea but he didn't even show up until the end of the Cell Saga. After that he did get lucky during the Buu saga, then GT took place on planets he wouldn't be on in the first place.

But what about Oolong, Roshi, or Mr. Popo (I never watched DB and don't really remember the Buu saga)? Did they die at some point?

Bedigunz on
    cdmAF00.png
    Coran Attack!
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Bedigunz wrote: »
    Mr Satan is the correct answer. Lucky bastard managed to survive the entire series without dying even once.

But then again that is why he's Earth's greatest hero.

Yea but he didn't even show up until the end of the Cell Saga. After that he did get lucky during the Buu saga, then GT took place on planets he wouldn't be on in the first place.

But what about Oolong, Roshi, or Mr. Popo (I never watched DB and don't really remember the Buu saga)? Did they die at some point?

When Buu blew up the earth they all died.

And about anime not working live action, I disagree. Hell, look at Stephen Chow (The only reason anyone still has a slimmer of hope in this thing), his movies have tons of anime sensibilities and work very well. Hell Shaolin Soccer could have easily been a live action version of Captain Tsubasa with some reworking.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Shaolin Soccer was indeed fantastic, but my heart belongs to Kung Fu Hustle.

kungfu-709031.jpg

Quoth on
  • Options
    MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I really hope that Chow is more than a token producer. If the director can bring some of his special effects laden fighting style from The One, tempered by Chow, and given a little of his goofiness it could work.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    What's next, live action Naruto or Pokemon?

You say this as if a live action Pokemon movie wouldn't be absolutely fantastic.

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    You know why its hard to make anime movies? Because anime by default is a style that is fucking cheap as it is gimmicky, and when you translate it to live action it just becomes ridiculous and unwatchable. Just awful. What's next, live action Naruto or Pokemon?

What are you talking about?!?!? Live action Pokemon would be FUCK AWESOME!
    Just look at what Could Be!!!
    Oh....god.... I am going to see these things comin' at me in my sleep...
    171648HmOL_w.jpg
    135579mrTQ_w.jpg

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So, I got my little brothers Budokai Tenkaichi 3 for Wii for Christmas (and so far have played it more than them), and not having played any DB game previously, I notice two things: 1) This is fun. 2) This is the anime. Very accurate Dragonball experience. If they can make the movie close to it like that, it'll do quite well.

Not saying they should cel-shade the actors or anything, though it'd be an idea....

SabreMau on
  • Options
    Deviant HandsDeviant Hands __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    So Goku drives a car in this movie? And goes to school?

Deviant Hands on
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Well to be fair, the episode that Goku and Piccolo go to get their driver's license is a great episode.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    "Give me the wheel!"

"Are you sure?"

"Give me the wheel!!"

"...Okay."

(karate chop)

"Here you go. ^_^"

And we have the bonus of Piccolo in civilian clothes. I love this episode so much.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    Deviant HandsDeviant Hands __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    kdrudy wrote: »
    Well to be fair, the episode that Goku and Piccolo go to get their driver's license is a great episode.

Yes but it was great because they were uncommon guys being pigeonholed into a normal situation.

Deviant Hands on
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Dichotomy wrote: »
    What's next, live action Naruto or Pokemon?

You say this as if a live action Pokemon movie wouldn't be absolutely fantastic.

Considering the iron tight grip nintendo has on the anime this is probably not that far from being true.

At the very least the pokemon would look right. Also honestly who fucking cares if they miscast Ash? Cries of "He's not stupid enough!","CHIGGA-WHA!? he chose type advantage over pikachu?"or "He clearly hasn't huffed leadpaint for 12 years!" would clearly not be made.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Whenever I think about a Pokemon movie, I imagine that scene in the tall grass from Jurassic Park II.

But instead of velociraptors, they're Scyther.

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Whenever I think about a Pokemon movie, I imagine that scene in the tall grass from Jurassic Park II.

But instead of velociraptors, they're Sceptile.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2008
    The only thing I hope they don't screw up is that if they decide to use the armor that Piccolo wore all the time in Z. I mean come on, that was some badass armor.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Armor? You mean the purple karate suit and the pointy-shoulder cape? I wouldn't call it armor.
    I know it was weighted and such, but he normally took it off for fights.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    When Piccolo took the armour off, you knew he was getting serious

Dichotomy on
    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    The only thing I hope they don't screw up is that if they decide to use the armor that Piccolo wore all the time in Z. I mean come on, that was some badass armor.

Given that Goku uses hair gel and there's a character named TETO I'm thinking the badass Namek armor is going to be ignored.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    FyreWulff wrote: »

Given that Goku uses hair gel and there's a character named TETO I'm thinking the badass Namek armor is going to be ignored.

Not to mention that it seems that the Piccolo they're basing on this is from DB, who didn't wear the same thing.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I wonder how many more casting announcements they have to go. I mean, with the movie coming out this year, they've got to be a ways through production already.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    SabreMau wrote: »
    I wonder how many more casting announcements they have to go. I mean, with the movie coming out this year, they've got to be a ways through production already.

Is it this year?

Oh god I thought I had more time .

King Riptor on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    So, I got my little brothers Budokai Tenkaichi 3 for Wii for Christmas (and so far have played it more than them), and not having played any DB game previously, I notice two things: 1) This is fun. 2) This is the anime. Very accurate Dragonball experience. If they can make the movie close to it like that, it'll do quite well.

Not saying they should cel-shade the actors or anything, though it'd be an idea....

Actually, something like what "A Scanner Darkly" pulled off would be rather neat to see.

(A Trailer if you need to see what I'm refering to.)

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Kung Fu Hustle is on right now.

Stupid Chow, giving me brief glimmer of hope for this eventual abortion of a movie.

I'm wondering if the Tenkiachi tournament will have a role in the movie, due to recent set pics
    setdbz4.jpg
    setdbz3.jpg

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

Is it this year?

August 15th, 2008 is what they say. So there'll probably be teaser trailers or at least posters within the next few months.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Everytime I hear about this movie all I can think about is that horrid "Fist of the Northstar" live action movie that was done a long time ago.

I think about that, and Cry.

Bucketman on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

Is it this year?

August 15th, 2008 is what they say. So there'll probably be teaser trailers or at least posters within the next few months.

It's like thinking the death star isn't complete and watching it fire as you stage your assualt..

King Riptor on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Just saw the movie "The Invisible" which has this Justin Chatwick fellow who is playing Goku. He's a pretty good actor, very good at screaming (a plus in this movie). That particular movie was alright but forgettable, but he is a scrawny dude. I wonder how much he's had to work out if he even wants to pretend to portray Goku.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Wow, I just did a GIS for Justin Chatwin and I have more muscle mass than he did.

I guess he'll have to keep his gi on, unless he's put on about 20 kilos of muscle since those photos.

devoir on
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    When Piccolo took the armour off, you knew he was getting serious

It was awesome.
    He was all "Fine. Fuck you. Let's do this shit."

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Oh man, reminds me of the scene where Goku and Piccolo throw down for Raditz.

Raditz is all "I'm da pimp" and Goku and Piccolo are just keen to get their fight on. Power levels keep going up as they dump their weighted armour, causing big holes in the ground.

devoir on
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

Actually, something like what "A Scanner Darkly" pulled off would be rather neat to see.

(A Trailer if you need to see what I'm refering to.)

I loved both A Scanner Darkly and Waking Life, which both used the same sort of rotoscope. That said, I can't really stand watching them again or my brain will implode.

An action movie based on that technology would be amazing.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

Yes but it was great because they were uncommon guys being pigeonholed into a normal situation.

It's a common anime gag, but it gets me every time.

Someone needs to post the scans of Ryu chatting with Sakura on AIM. :lol:
    devoir wrote: »
    Oh man, reminds me of the scene where Goku and Piccolo throw down for Raditz.

Raditz is all "I'm da pimp" and Goku and Piccolo are just keen to get their fight on. Power levels keep going up as they dump their weighted armour, causing big holes in the ground.

And yet Raditz still schooled them both horribly.
    Not to mention that it seems that the Piccolo they're basing on this is from DB, who didn't wear the same thing.

Piccolo Jr wore it at the tournament.

Also, those set pics are pretty authentic. Looks just like the ring from the Budokai.

Man, I hope they toss in all the filler fighters. King Choppa, Giran the Beast, the werewolf....:lol:

• Options
    edited January 2008

rsaasg4.th.jpg

SabreMau on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

rsaasg4.th.jpg

That was awesome. I need to check for some trades.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    That's from Street Fighter Legends: Sakura. The TPB was released a few months ago, so it should be easy to find, and it's well worth it. It carries the regular SF comic's beautiful art but ups the silly factor for maximum entertainment. It's also got Hinata, Shoma and Natsu. <3

It's amazing how awesome the driver's licence episode is despite being filler.

• Options
    edited January 2008
    It's amazing how awesome the driver's licence episode is despite being filler.

IMO tied with the episode where Taopaipai has Goku do the metal ring puzzle while he steals the dragonballs.

Other than that all DBZ filler is trash.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    What about the episode before Driver's License, with Vegeta training (and a brief moment to foreshadow his relationship with Bulma)? That was good too.

Plus we got to see Goku and Piccolo sparring.

• Options
    edited January 2008
    In his infamous pink shirt for the first time? Aw yeah.
    I never liked the Bulma/ Vegeta pairing because he was such a douche. And also because I liked Yamcha way more than him.
    The episodes showing Yamcha playing baseball were neat. I also like the one where Krillin is in a super shitty relationship and before he gets a chance to stick up for himself the girl leaves him for some Fabio-esque dude.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    "Servant woman! Bring me a drying cloth at once!"

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png