Options

'Dragonball' Movie on Track: What the Fuck, Chow?

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    That's actually the episode before Freeza invades earth (which I also liked). I'm referring to when they're training for the Androids, and Vegeta damn near kills himself with the Gravity machine.

And also, Marron dumped Krillin for several guys. :/

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Krillin ended up with a superior choice, anyway. He got the only wife in the show who could hold her own in a DBZ-era fight.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    SabreMau wrote: »
    Krillin ended up with a superior choice, anyway. He got the only wife in the show who could hold her own in a DBZ-era fight.

Also the only one who could toast bread just the way Krillin likes it.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    On a side note, who else is fucking psyched about the Astro Boy film in production?

After TMNT, I'm very intrigued in the quality that Imagi can put out.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    On a side note, who else is fucking psyched about the Astro Boy film in production?

After TMNT, I'm very intrigued in the quality that Imagi can put out.

The rights for Astroboy are held so tightly that I can't imagine that it won't be good.

Then I play the Ps2 game.

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008

That's right. Videl don't got jack on #18.

I always found it funny that Krillen's wife could kick his ass. Always felt bad for that guy. I always wanted to see a human who could actually compete with a super saiyan (Not counting Uub, who was a reincarnation anyways...he doesn't count).

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I was always annoyed that Yamcha sort of just got left behind. I think the 3rd tourney was his high point. Least Tien and Krillin remained somewhat relevant up to the cell saga.

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Heir wrote: »

That's right. Videl don't got jack on #18.

I always found it funny that Krillen's wife could kick his ass. Always felt bad for that guy. I always wanted to see a human who could actually compete with a super saiyan (Not counting Uub, who was a reincarnation anyways...he doesn't count).

Honestly I think Krillin could take on SSJ Goku. Nothing higher though. I mean at the end of the series they all fight in the budokai so he has to think he has a small chance.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    BigJoeMBigJoeM Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I doubt Krillin ever got anywhere near that powerful it was more a matter of showing off for his daughter and seeing his best friend again.

He pretty much admitted he wasn't going anywhere near the finals.

Yamcha never made it past the semi-finals in all three tournaments he fought in so it made sense that he was towards the bottom of the human fighters.

BigJoeM on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    BigJoeM wrote: »
    I doubt Krillin ever got anywhere near that powerful it was more a matter of showing off for his daughter and seeing his best friend again.

Yamcha never made it past the semi-finals in all three tournaments he fought in so it made sense that he was towards the bottom of the human fighters.

I'm of the mind that Krillin quit being a monk but still trained. If only because his ego prevents him from letting his wife be stronger than him.

Yamcha . . . just quit. It's sad really.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    BigJoeM wrote: »

Yamcha was unlucky enough to face the harder oponents in the last two tournaments. I can't remember who he faced in the first one..Jackie Chun maybe?

Kyougu on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    In the 21st Budokai, he fights Jackie Chun in the first round, and loses (Jackie Chun goes on to win). In the 22nd, he fights Tien, and loses (Tien goes on to win). In the 23rd, he fights Shen/Kami in the first round, and loses (Kami gets sealed into a bottle by Piccolo in the second round).

His consolation is, at least he qualifies for the final 8 each time.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    In the 21st Budokai, he fights Jackie Chun in the first round, and loses (Jackie Chun goes on to win). In the 22nd, he fights Tien, and loses (Tien goes on to win). In the 23rd, he fights Shen/Kami in the first round, and loses (Kami gets sealed into a bottle by Piccolo in the second round).

His consolation is, at least he qualifies for the final 8 each time.

That's true.

Then you realize Mr. Satan did the same thing and top 8-ing doesn't feel that special anymore.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    SilvoculousSilvoculous Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Kyougu wrote: »
    I was always annoyed that Yamcha sort of just got left behind. I think the 3rd tourney was his high point. Least Tien and Krillin remained somewhat relevant up to the cell saga.

Meh, that kind of thing happened for all of those characters. They were all relevant/important through their debuts in Dragonball to the battle with Vegeta/Nappa, and then it declined from there. Tien last held the spotlight in that one movie that I remember nothing about other than the fact that it took place during a Budokai where Mr. Satan was present, and it ended with Gohan going SSJ2 again. Tien was in the tournament against Trunks, and they were pretty evenly matched until Trunks went SSJ and molested him. Yamcha was the first of all of them to sort of "drop off."

Silvoculous on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    That's true.

Then you realize Mr. Satan did the same thing and top 8-ing doesn't feel that special anymore.
    The problem with that is, after winning the 24th tournament (in which none of the main DBZ characters compete), in every tournament afterwards he's given a free bye straight to the finals. He doesn't have to fight through the brackets, he just shows up at the end fighting whoever survives that.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    That's true.

The problem with that is, after winning the 24th tournament (in which none of the main DBZ characters compete), in every tournament afterwards he's given a free bye straight to the finals. He doesn't have to fight through the brackets, he just shows up at the end fighting whoever survives that.

Well thats because he beat Cell. Didn't you watch the video reinactment?

King Riptor on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    That's true.

Yeah, that's definitely special. But he still doesn't "qualify for final 8" in the traditional sense.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2008
    That's true.

Best episode ever.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    That's true.

Best episode ever.

"Hercule is great."
    "I wish I were him!"

SabreMau on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Kyougu wrote: »

Meh, that kind of thing happened for all of those characters. They were all relevant/important through their debuts in Dragonball to the battle with Vegeta/Nappa, and then it declined from there. Tien last held the spotlight in that one movie that I remember nothing about other than the fact that it took place during a Budokai where Mr. Satan was present, and it ended with Gohan going SSJ2 again. Tien was in the tournament against Trunks, and they were pretty evenly matched until Trunks went SSJ and molested him. Yamcha was the first of all of them to sort of "drop off."

You would think Trunks would be a good enough sport to fight Tien on even ground, without turning Super Saiyan. But nope, a quick transformation and an elbow to the head, and that was the end of that fight.

Yamcha's state in DBZ really is sad. If you count the second half of Dragonball to the very end, he loses every single fight he takes part in.

Before you mention Recoom in the afterlife, that was a filler episode.

• Options
    MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    It is sad that most of the Dragonball cast ended up being fairly irrelevant once the Saiyans showed up. It's funny watching the earlier episodes and having the group all fairly capable of beating each other.

I remember a funny bit in Z when Krillin acknolodges this and we have a flash back to when Krillin and Goku were kids training on the beach and Krillin had the more powerful energy blast, and it ends with Krillin saying something about those being the days.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    That was Krillin daydreaming of a time when he was actually stronger than Goku.

Which never happened. Poor guy is delusional.

And the constant portrayal of the Saiyans rather than the humans is simple: They were more popular. It's always been a Shonen Jump problem where the most popular characters get the most screentime while the lesser but still cool characters take a backseat.

At least Piccolo remained awesome, even when he quit fighting (by Boo saga).

• Options
    edited January 2008

Then GT goes and fucks it up.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

Haven't seen him in GT, what's he do there?

SabreMau on
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008

Amongst other things? He gets stuck in hell.

...yeah.

Tien is and always will be my favorite character. Pisses me off that trunks took the pussy way to beat him by going SSJ on him to win.

Also, I don't care what official sources say, Tien is stronger than Krillin.

And the next person who says "Hercule" instead of Mr. Satan is gonna get it. Just you watch. :x

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    BedigumxBedigumx Registered User regular
    edited January 2008

Amongst other things? He gets stuck in hell.

...yeah.

Tien is and always will be my favorite character. Pisses me off that trunks took the pussy way to beat him by going SSJ on him to win.

And the next person who says "Hercule" instead of Mr. Satan is gonna get it. Just you watch. :x

Didn't Tien hold his own against 2nd Level Cell? Granted he was just killing time so Cell wouldn't absorb one of the androids, but that solar flare thing works pretty well throughout the series and movies.

Bedigumx on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Eh, I was quoting the dub tape I got of that episode. That scene's exceedingly more amusing that way.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

He is. Krillin is the strongest human in the series but Tienshinhan isn't human.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Tien is human. Ignore the third eye.

And Toriyama has stated that in his opinion, Tien is the strongest human. But in the anime, they made it sound like Krillin was the strongest.

• Options
    DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Was Krillin a midget?

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Yea, with what Tien did to Cell I don't think there should be much question that Tien is the strongest human.

To be fair to Mr Satan though, he probably was one of the strongest humans not part of the Dragonball crew.

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I find it funny that while Roshi was the better sensei and the vast majority of fighters trained under him the crane hermit had the more useful techniques

Everybody had to learn how to fly (helped Goku beat Piccolo at the end of Dragonball) and almost everyone has used solar flare at some point in time.

The Dodonpa was useful at one point but eventually the Kamehameha proved itself a better technique.

BigJoeM on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    GT was basically one big ball of shit.
    I kept watching until Baby showed up to see if it was gonna ever get better, and it never did.
    WTF, man. I know you like money, Mr. Toriyama, but seriously. WHY!?!?! (I know he had almost nothing to do with the series, so I'm not blaming him for that. Just for letting them do it!)

Edit:
    I once was in an internet argument (oh god i'm so pathetic) with this annoying GT fan.
    SO i posted this:
    1133124190.jpg
    He shut up pretty quick.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    CyvrosCyvros Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I can't believe anyone could possibly have anything against those shirts. (Although they seem to be missing bling on chains.)

Cyvros on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Toei did GT with out the consent of Toriyama.
    That's obviously not unheard of ( manga authors have very little say in the franchising of their properties) but I think the end result ( and 11 movies prior) proved they had no idea what made DB/DBZ fun.

King Riptor on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Cyvros wrote: »
    I can't believe anyone could possibly have anything against those shirts. (Although they seem to be missing bling on chains.)

Those aren't shirts.
    It's hair.

Yeah...

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Cyvros wrote: »

Those aren't shirts.
    It's hair.

Yeah...

What... red torso hair? O_o

Cyvros on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Yeah that's a offshoot of their giant monkey forms (hence the fur and tails)

BigJoeM on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    That's just... Just...

Words cannot describe what's going through my mind at the moment.

Cyvros on
  • Options
    SilvoculousSilvoculous Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    You would think Trunks would be a good enough sport to fight Tien on even ground, without turning Super Saiyan. But nope, a quick transformation and an elbow to the head, and that was the end of that fight.

Yamcha's state in DBZ really is sad. If you count the second half of Dragonball to the very end, he loses every single fight he takes part in.

Before you mention Recoom in the afterlife, that was a filler episode.

He's also the first one to go, which is pretty pathetic, considering Chaozu's...existence.

Early on in DBZ, when Tien/Yamcha/Chaozu/Krillin went into that simulated planet to train to fight the Saiyans after Goku died, I believe Yamcha actually used a Spirit Bomb. It was small and quickly conjured, but he did it with one hand and whispered "spirit bomb" when he did it.

He could've been one of the strongest lesser characters, right under Krillin with his destructo-disc. Frieza had to use that shit as a last resort against Goku.
    That was Krillin daydreaming of a time when he was actually stronger than Goku.

Which never happened. Poor guy is delusional.

I could've swore that was a flashback, but it's true that I never saw it in Dragonball.

Silvoculous on