Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Sony-sponsored Galaxy Review (possible spoilers)

12467

Posts

  • FaustumFaustum __BANNED USERS
    edited November 2007
    Do you get what I'm saying? The PS3 has better graphics.
    Yes!
    Ratchet & Clank looks better than Mario Galaxy.
    No!
    I realize this might hurt your fragile Wii-ego, but it's the way things are.
    Childish!

    Faustum on
    diddysiggiesq8.pngClick to see who gets to DIE February 10th
    sigoj3.gif
  • VariableVariable Ted Hitler Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    You're right, but pointing out a flaw and talking about a game/system that is superior in that field seems to have hit a soft spot in you, when it really shouldn't. This review is dumb, not because of who wrote it or what they said, but because everyone here seems to care so much about it, like it's a review about themselves. It's a stupid console, made of plastic, metal, silicon and some other shit. Do you guys feel so insecure about yourselves that when the Wii is criticized in the slightest, you're all up in arms?

    I don't think it's got anything to do with that, but thanks for saying I'm right.

    It's just a bad review. I think initially people assumed it was -paid for by Sony-, but shit even if it's true, and I doubt it is, who cares? I'm just annoyed that there is a bad review. The reason I'm bothering to post is I don't just think it's bad because I disagree, but because it's poorly written and doesn't seem that the guy wanted to play the game at all. that's not necessarily his fault, but it does appear to be the case.

    -I keep trying to write a paragraph here about that fact that the review in and of itself doesn't bother me all that much, but it's not coming out right. perhaps in a bit I'll be able to clear it up in my head-

    Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    It's like this:

    Graphics: Not as good as the PS3, you should really check out Ratchet & Clank

    Controls: wtf two controllers

    Story: Just skip it (valid point, but he makes it sound like it detracts from the game)

    Multiplayer: Gratuitous, one of the worst two-player experiences ever

    General: Wii sucks for 3rd person action games

    Final thoughts: Given the vastly superior quality of graphics in a game like "Ratchet and Clank", currently available for the PS3 (CLICK HERE TO RESERVE), Galaxy looks old and lifeless

    Zenitram on
    steam_sig.png
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    You're right, but pointing out a flaw and talking about a game/system that is superior in that field seems to have hit a soft spot in you, when it really shouldn't. This review is dumb, not because of who wrote it or what they said, but because everyone here seems to care so much about it, like it's a review about themselves. It's a stupid console, made of plastic, metal, silicon and some other shit. Do you guys feel so insecure about yourselves that when the Wii is criticized in the slightest, you're all up in arms?

    Wow that's pretty fucking ironic.

    I'd like to know why.

    Because here you come pissing all over everyone on some grand crusade trying to convince people that the wii sucks because its graphics suck. You're also making the bold and amazingly false assertion that graphics matter more to the non-gamer than to people here in GnT when even the quickest of glances at console sales in the last year says that you're a fucking idiot for saying that.

    Don't come and try to pretend that you're "above" all the shit surrounding the review when all you've been doing in this thread is feeding the fire and trumpeting your so-called truth about games.

    The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    You're right, but pointing out a flaw and talking about a game/system that is superior in that field seems to have hit a soft spot in you, when it really shouldn't. This review is dumb, not because of who wrote it or what they said, but because everyone here seems to care so much about it, like it's a review about themselves. It's a stupid console, made of plastic, metal, silicon and some other shit. Do you guys feel so insecure about yourselves that when the Wii is criticized in the slightest, you're all up in arms?

    Wow that's pretty fucking ironic.

    I'd like to know why.

    Because here you come pissing all over everyone on some grand crusade trying to convince people that the wii sucks because its graphics suck. You're also making the bold and amazingly false assertion that graphics matter more to the non-gamer than to people here in GnT when even the quickest of glances at console sales in the last year says that you're a fucking idiot for saying that.

    Don't come and try to pretend that you're "above" all the shit surrounding the review when all you've been doing in this thread is feeding the fire and trumpeting your so-called truth about games.

    I'll be honest, I only read the first sentence of your post because you're so wrong it's not even worth responding to in a serious manner. You're welcome to think what you do now, it's not worth my time to set you straight.

    Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Don't come and try to pretend that you're "above" all the shit surrounding the review when all you've been doing in this thread is feeding the fire and trumpeting your so-called truth about games.



    Not to mention condescending with terms like "your fragile little Wii-egos."

    (btw, it's just Wiigos)

    Zenitram on
    steam_sig.png
  • Blake TBlake T Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Zenitram wrote: »
    Nobody is being insecure (except perhaps the conspiracy theorists). It's just a horrible review that's not really reviewing the game like it should be.

    But it's really not. So far, the only reasons I've gathered for it to be a poor review is:

    - It's negative

    - It mentions the PS3 being superior in terms of hardware

    This is real petty shit, guys.

    No. My complaint of the review (dodgy advertising tactics aside which is a different issue).

    Is that all of his complaints seem to be really petty that don't detract from the gameplay.

    He complains that the Icon of the industry is a "Silly little itallian stereotype" the story is rubbish and that the two player mode is the "worst two player mode ever".

    Now he also complains about the controls which is a subjective thing which he should of been less biased on.

    The review only mentions one good thing where you can perform "cool tricks" that's it.

    Blake T on
  • VariableVariable Ted Hitler Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Game journalism needs to grow the fuck up. If you're reading a review about a game it should be about that game. Is the game good? Does it look good? Does it play good? Not, does it play good compared to it's competition, but instead is it an enjoyable experience.

    a lot of things about gaming have to grow up. lucky for us, this is also true about other hobbies, like sports.

    would you ever expect to see a fight about whose team is better from anyone older than 12?
    but, does it happen?

    I doubt gaming can grow up, much like sports, because people get into it at a young age and have trouble adjusting the way they think about it. Even people here (myself certainly not excluded) sometimes drop into hoping a certain system "loses", and this can be for a lot of reasons.

    Ultimately, I'll start believing bad gaming journalism will stop when I see bad sports journalism stop.

    It's a shame but (obviously imho) it's true.

    Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Blaket wrote: »
    Blaket wrote: »
    Waka Laka wrote: »
    Blaket wrote: »

    The article mentions the PS3 "superiority" twice and actually said "given the vastly superior quality of graphics in R&C TD available now for the PS3"

    If graphics are what matters, then the reviewer never saw Crysis, well aware that it is'nt a platformer, but why the hell not. Might as well pull out the bigger guns and compare.

    The Graphics in MG do the job, it does'nt need to be better.

    I find it unfortunate that you think that way.

    The graphics certainly could be better if they were on a more powerful machine, but they than definatly do their job and the lack of graphical prowress does not detract from the gameplay at all.

    I am playing through psyconaughts for the first time and I've yet to think it should of been developed on a newer system. I mean sure prettier pictures would be nice but the game works fine as is.

    To me, "the graphics do the job" is a poor defense against the Wii being an inferior system from a hardware standpoint. You shouldn't care if it's a supercomputer or an Apple II. You like the system, you shouldn't care about whether I do or not, because what I think shouldn't have any effect on you and what you like.

    Do you get what I'm saying? The PS3 has better graphics. Ratchet & Clank looks better than Mario Galaxy. I realize this might hurt your fragile Wii-ego, but it's the way things are.

    Dude I don't even own a Wii.

    Saying the PS3 has better graphics than the Wii is like saying the PS3 has better graphics than the PSP. Of course it's fucking true but people harp on to it do they?

    Do you also like to wander into the maternity ward at hospitals and laugh at all the new born guys because they have smaller wangs than you?

    The shear sale of the Wii compared to the PS3 is a pretty strong testament to the fact that the public don't consider graphics the number one deciding factor when it comes to buying games.
    You're right. It's price.

    Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • ArdeArde Registered User
    edited November 2007
    I love how stupid reviews usually also equal stupid threads by default.

    It helps in letting you see posters you want to avoid/ignore.

    Arde on
    Wii code:3004 5525 7274 3361
    XBL Gametag: mailarde

    Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • Blake TBlake T Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Phonehand wrote: »
    Blaket wrote: »
    Blaket wrote: »
    Waka Laka wrote: »
    Blaket wrote: »

    The article mentions the PS3 "superiority" twice and actually said "given the vastly superior quality of graphics in R&C TD available now for the PS3"

    If graphics are what matters, then the reviewer never saw Crysis, well aware that it is'nt a platformer, but why the hell not. Might as well pull out the bigger guns and compare.

    The Graphics in MG do the job, it does'nt need to be better.

    I find it unfortunate that you think that way.

    The graphics certainly could be better if they were on a more powerful machine, but they than definatly do their job and the lack of graphical prowress does not detract from the gameplay at all.

    I am playing through psyconaughts for the first time and I've yet to think it should of been developed on a newer system. I mean sure prettier pictures would be nice but the game works fine as is.

    To me, "the graphics do the job" is a poor defense against the Wii being an inferior system from a hardware standpoint. You shouldn't care if it's a supercomputer or an Apple II. You like the system, you shouldn't care about whether I do or not, because what I think shouldn't have any effect on you and what you like.

    Do you get what I'm saying? The PS3 has better graphics. Ratchet & Clank looks better than Mario Galaxy. I realize this might hurt your fragile Wii-ego, but it's the way things are.

    Dude I don't even own a Wii.

    Saying the PS3 has better graphics than the Wii is like saying the PS3 has better graphics than the PSP. Of course it's fucking true but people harp on to it do they?

    Do you also like to wander into the maternity ward at hospitals and laugh at all the new born guys because they have smaller wangs than you?

    The shear sale of the Wii compared to the PS3 is a pretty strong testament to the fact that the public don't consider graphics the number one deciding factor when it comes to buying games.
    You're right. It's price.

    Really? Do I need to dig up the Gamecube v PS2 sales? Cause the GC was cheaper for the vast majority (if not all) of it's life span. People are buying the Wii partly because of it's price but mainly because it offers a unique way of gaming (which the reviewer appears to dislike).

    Blake T on
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    You're right, but pointing out a flaw and talking about a game/system that is superior in that field seems to have hit a soft spot in you, when it really shouldn't. This review is dumb, not because of who wrote it or what they said, but because everyone here seems to care so much about it, like it's a review about themselves. It's a stupid console, made of plastic, metal, silicon and some other shit. Do you guys feel so insecure about yourselves that when the Wii is criticized in the slightest, you're all up in arms?

    Wow that's pretty fucking ironic.

    I'd like to know why.

    Because here you come pissing all over everyone on some grand crusade trying to convince people that the wii sucks because its graphics suck. You're also making the bold and amazingly false assertion that graphics matter more to the non-gamer than to people here in GnT when even the quickest of glances at console sales in the last year says that you're a fucking idiot for saying that.

    Don't come and try to pretend that you're "above" all the shit surrounding the review when all you've been doing in this thread is feeding the fire and trumpeting your so-called truth about games.

    I'll be honest, I only read the first sentence of your post because you're so wrong it's not even worth responding to in a serious manner. You're welcome to think what you do now, it's not worth my time to set you straight.

    If that's what you need to tell yourself to sleep better, by all means.

    The fact is you'd have to lie through your teeth to say otherwise because I was simpily reiterating what you've said on the last two pages alone.

    Besides, if this is all just "petty shit" why don't you fucking leave the thread instead of continuing your ego-driven shit to try to prove you're "right" about something that is completely arbitrary?

    Because you can't, that's why; because you're not above petty shit, yet feel good enough about yourself to try to tell everyone else that they're not as if you're some bastion of correct thinking.

    The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

  • MistaCreepyMistaCreepy Registered User
    edited November 2007
    Haha this thread still lives?

    MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
  • FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    FreddyD wrote: »
    Blaket wrote: »
    Not to say that he made a great review. If I had to review his review, I'd give it a 5/10. He doesn't really do a great job of detailing his gripes. And maybe someone with a more open mind would have more positive things to say, but he's still entitled to his opinion.

    well of course he's entitled to his opinion. the question is, is he entitled to be writing "professional" reviews for a magazine?

    this is the same sort of problem people point to in gaming journalism, the lack of professionalism that sometimes rears its ugly head. this Variety article passes as a half-assed blog post, but as a review it certainly misses the mark.

    i'd really like to know if other "mainstream" magazines have done reviews of SMG yet. you occasionally see reviews of games like Halo 3 and Bioshock at CNN or Newsweek...
    I was going to post about how this wasn't a professional review, and thus not subject to the same standards, but, well,
    Ben Fritz wrote:
    When I tell people that I review videogames professionally, they usually think I'm only in it for the fun and free games. Reactions are typically something like, "My 12-year-old son would kill to have a job like yours."Videogame critics don't get much respect from the general public because videogames don't get much respect.

    I don't know quite what to say now. I can understand if this was just a filler article for people looking for something shiny. But I think gamers are entitled to more than broad generalizations and unsubstantiated opinions. A good reviewer will describe the overall experience in great detail, and he did a terrible job of that. He can hate the game as much as he wants as long as he lives up to obligations as a reviewer, which he clearly did not.

    FreddyD on
  • PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Blaket wrote: »
    Phonehand wrote: »
    Blaket wrote: »
    Blaket wrote: »
    Waka Laka wrote: »
    Blaket wrote: »

    The article mentions the PS3 "superiority" twice and actually said "given the vastly superior quality of graphics in R&C TD available now for the PS3"

    If graphics are what matters, then the reviewer never saw Crysis, well aware that it is'nt a platformer, but why the hell not. Might as well pull out the bigger guns and compare.

    The Graphics in MG do the job, it does'nt need to be better.

    I find it unfortunate that you think that way.

    The graphics certainly could be better if they were on a more powerful machine, but they than definatly do their job and the lack of graphical prowress does not detract from the gameplay at all.

    I am playing through psyconaughts for the first time and I've yet to think it should of been developed on a newer system. I mean sure prettier pictures would be nice but the game works fine as is.

    To me, "the graphics do the job" is a poor defense against the Wii being an inferior system from a hardware standpoint. You shouldn't care if it's a supercomputer or an Apple II. You like the system, you shouldn't care about whether I do or not, because what I think shouldn't have any effect on you and what you like.

    Do you get what I'm saying? The PS3 has better graphics. Ratchet & Clank looks better than Mario Galaxy. I realize this might hurt your fragile Wii-ego, but it's the way things are.

    Dude I don't even own a Wii.

    Saying the PS3 has better graphics than the Wii is like saying the PS3 has better graphics than the PSP. Of course it's fucking true but people harp on to it do they?

    Do you also like to wander into the maternity ward at hospitals and laugh at all the new born guys because they have smaller wangs than you?

    The shear sale of the Wii compared to the PS3 is a pretty strong testament to the fact that the public don't consider graphics the number one deciding factor when it comes to buying games.
    You're right. It's price.

    Really? Do I need to dig up the Gamecube v PS2 sales? Cause the GC was cheaper for the vast majority (if not all) of it's life span. People are buying the Wii partly because of it's price but mainly because it offers a unique way of gaming (which the reviewer appears to dislike).

    You would think that if half the people who bought the Wii had any fucking clue what it even did. Wii games don't sell. People just buy what's popular for their kids. The Wii doesn't sell because its a quality system.

    Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • RCagentRCagent Registered User
    edited November 2007
    Zombiemambo being a total douchebag aside, the review isn't something to go throw a shit fit on. It's quite obvious that the review isn't being written by someone of high standards. The last thing this guy probably wanted to do was review Mario Galaxy, rather than actually do a good review, I'm sure the reviewer just played for 2 hours or so put the game away and went back to playing Ratchet and Clank on his PS3 while talking to someone on his I-Phone.

    Is this a bad review? Yes. The number one rule of Reviews is to never show bias and basically compare your product of review to other products. The most effective reviews are reviews that review the product to itself.

    Is the sony sponsoring it a conspiracy?: More than likely not. I don't think Sony is hatching plans like fucking Cobra Commander or some shit.


    And about the whole PS3 graphics better than Wii thing, the point is idiotic. Games shouldn't be reviewed if they give your eyes orgasms or not, they should be reviewed on their overall fun factor. Now I can understand the reviewer if Super Mario Galaxy had shitty graphics, but it doesn't, it has enough to get the job done. And Zombiemambo's arguement is just stupid as hell. Mario games are Mario games. They aren't trying to fucking recreate the real world enviorment, it's Mario for fucksake.

    A game can have good graphics without looking realistic as fuck. Its called style. Look into it.

    RCagent on
  • Blake TBlake T Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Phonehand wrote: »
    Blaket wrote: »
    Phonehand wrote: »
    Blaket wrote: »
    Blaket wrote: »
    Waka Laka wrote: »
    Blaket wrote: »

    The article mentions the PS3 "superiority" twice and actually said "given the vastly superior quality of graphics in R&C TD available now for the PS3"

    If graphics are what matters, then the reviewer never saw Crysis, well aware that it is'nt a platformer, but why the hell not. Might as well pull out the bigger guns and compare.

    The Graphics in MG do the job, it does'nt need to be better.

    I find it unfortunate that you think that way.

    The graphics certainly could be better if they were on a more powerful machine, but they than definatly do their job and the lack of graphical prowress does not detract from the gameplay at all.

    I am playing through psyconaughts for the first time and I've yet to think it should of been developed on a newer system. I mean sure prettier pictures would be nice but the game works fine as is.

    To me, "the graphics do the job" is a poor defense against the Wii being an inferior system from a hardware standpoint. You shouldn't care if it's a supercomputer or an Apple II. You like the system, you shouldn't care about whether I do or not, because what I think shouldn't have any effect on you and what you like.

    Do you get what I'm saying? The PS3 has better graphics. Ratchet & Clank looks better than Mario Galaxy. I realize this might hurt your fragile Wii-ego, but it's the way things are.

    Dude I don't even own a Wii.

    Saying the PS3 has better graphics than the Wii is like saying the PS3 has better graphics than the PSP. Of course it's fucking true but people harp on to it do they?

    Do you also like to wander into the maternity ward at hospitals and laugh at all the new born guys because they have smaller wangs than you?

    The shear sale of the Wii compared to the PS3 is a pretty strong testament to the fact that the public don't consider graphics the number one deciding factor when it comes to buying games.
    You're right. It's price.

    Really? Do I need to dig up the Gamecube v PS2 sales? Cause the GC was cheaper for the vast majority (if not all) of it's life span. People are buying the Wii partly because of it's price but mainly because it offers a unique way of gaming (which the reviewer appears to dislike).

    You would think that if half the people who bought the Wii had any fucking clue what it even did. Wii games don't sell. People just buy what's popular for their kids. The Wii doesn't sell because its a quality system.

    The attach rate is suprisingly strong. It could be due to shovelware however AND Wii play or whatever you get free with a controller. Note it is last, but with the theory of people just buy it and leave it lying around is wrong.

    http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/1924/analyze_this_a_progress_report_on_.php?page=2
    Up until now, software selection has been adequate, but we continue to be concerned with the lack of must-have third-party titles targeting the mass-market audience. The average Wii owner in the U.S. has only purchased 2.8 titles, which is significantly lower than the Xbox 360 owner (5.5 titles) and more surprisingly, the PlayStation 3 owner (3.0). Nintendo continues to hold the key to driving software sales for the Wii. The five best selling Nintendo titles to date are all home-grown franchises, as are the three most anticipated upcoming Wii titles: Super Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and Mario Kart.

    Blake T on
  • PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Blaket wrote: »
    The attach rate is suprisingly strong. It could be due to shovelware however AND Wii play or whatever you get free with a controller. Note it is last, but with the theory of people just buy it and leave it lying around is wrong.

    http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/1924/analyze_this_a_progress_report_on_.php?page=2
    Up until now, software selection has been adequate, but we continue to be concerned with the lack of must-have third-party titles targeting the mass-market audience. The average Wii owner in the U.S. has only purchased 2.8 titles, which is significantly lower than the Xbox 360 owner (5.5 titles) and more surprisingly, the PlayStation 3 owner (3.0). Nintendo continues to hold the key to driving software sales for the Wii. The five best selling Nintendo titles to date are all home-grown franchises, as are the three most anticipated upcoming Wii titles: Super Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and Mario Kart.

    That seems pretty vague. Is that just Wii games or does that include the DS and Advance? Other than that, there doesn't seem to be any solid evidence supporting that claim. I mean, I sell a lot of Wii's and the few good games on the system hardly get any recognition (Resident Evil, Metroid, etc). A lot of people are content with Wii Sports. A lot of people buy Wii Play for the controller. Other than that I can't say that I have seen anything else sell with any consistency.

    Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • OptyOpty Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Man, I went to see a movie the other day but the projector lens had like a spot or something on it. It totally ruined the movie for me. Two thumbs down.

    Opty on
  • Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Phonehand wrote: »
    Blaket wrote: »
    The attach rate is suprisingly strong. It could be due to shovelware however AND Wii play or whatever you get free with a controller. Note it is last, but with the theory of people just buy it and leave it lying around is wrong.

    http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/1924/analyze_this_a_progress_report_on_.php?page=2
    Up until now, software selection has been adequate, but we continue to be concerned with the lack of must-have third-party titles targeting the mass-market audience. The average Wii owner in the U.S. has only purchased 2.8 titles, which is significantly lower than the Xbox 360 owner (5.5 titles) and more surprisingly, the PlayStation 3 owner (3.0). Nintendo continues to hold the key to driving software sales for the Wii. The five best selling Nintendo titles to date are all home-grown franchises, as are the three most anticipated upcoming Wii titles: Super Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and Mario Kart.

    That seems pretty vague. Is that just Wii games or does that include the DS and Advance? Other than that, there doesn't seem to be any solid evidence supporting that claim. I mean, I sell a lot of Wii's and the few good games on the system hardly get any recognition (Resident Evil, Metroid, etc). A lot of people are content with Wii Sports. A lot of people buy Wii Play for the controller. Other than that I can't say that I have seen anything else sell with any consistency.

    Wait... you're saying your anecdotal evidence is less vague and solid than solid attach ratio numbers from Nintendo, along with sales data on how well Wii games sell?

    Are you actually a crazy person or do you just play one on tv?

    Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • lsukalellsukalel Registered User
    edited November 2007
    I put up a thread a few weeks ago about the new sony ad campaign saying they may have gotten there act togther. I was even defending sony. It turns out now my hope was misplaced to say the least.

    Man Fuck Sony. Fuck Sony right in the ear.

    Due to this shit the PS3 can get fucked for all i care.

    lsukalel on
    We the Jury find the Defendant, "Kind of Bad."
  • PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Phonehand wrote: »
    Blaket wrote: »
    The attach rate is suprisingly strong. It could be due to shovelware however AND Wii play or whatever you get free with a controller. Note it is last, but with the theory of people just buy it and leave it lying around is wrong.

    http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/1924/analyze_this_a_progress_report_on_.php?page=2
    Up until now, software selection has been adequate, but we continue to be concerned with the lack of must-have third-party titles targeting the mass-market audience. The average Wii owner in the U.S. has only purchased 2.8 titles, which is significantly lower than the Xbox 360 owner (5.5 titles) and more surprisingly, the PlayStation 3 owner (3.0). Nintendo continues to hold the key to driving software sales for the Wii. The five best selling Nintendo titles to date are all home-grown franchises, as are the three most anticipated upcoming Wii titles: Super Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and Mario Kart.

    That seems pretty vague. Is that just Wii games or does that include the DS and Advance? Other than that, there doesn't seem to be any solid evidence supporting that claim. I mean, I sell a lot of Wii's and the few good games on the system hardly get any recognition (Resident Evil, Metroid, etc). A lot of people are content with Wii Sports. A lot of people buy Wii Play for the controller. Other than that I can't say that I have seen anything else sell with any consistency.

    Wait... you're saying your anecdotal evidence is less vague and solid than solid attach ratio numbers from Nintendo, along with sales data on how well Wii games sell?

    Are you actually a crazy person or do you just play one on tv?
    The Wii has the lowest attach rate of any current system. The top selling Wii games are Wii Sports, Wii Play, and Guitar Hero 3. Wii Sports comes with the system, Wii Play is bought for the controller, and Guitar Hero is Guitar Hero. I'm sure that if you are getting your info just from Nintendo then ANYTHING seems possible.

    Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Phonehand wrote: »
    Phonehand wrote: »
    Blaket wrote: »
    The attach rate is suprisingly strong.It could be due to shovelware however AND Wii play or whatever you get free with a controller. Note it is last, but with the theory of people just buy it and leave it lying around is wrong.

    http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/1924/analyze_this_a_progress_report_on_.php?page=2
    Up until now, software selection has been adequate, but we continue to be concerned with the lack of must-have third-party titles targeting the mass-market audience. The average Wii owner in the U.S. has only purchased 2.8 titles, which is significantly lower than the Xbox 360 owner (5.5 titles) and more surprisingly, the PlayStation 3 owner (3.0). Nintendo continues to hold the key to driving software sales for the Wii. The five best selling Nintendo titles to date are all home-grown franchises, as are the three most anticipated upcoming Wii titles: Super Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and Mario Kart.

    That seems pretty vague. Is that just Wii games or does that include the DS and Advance? Other than that, there doesn't seem to be any solid evidence supporting that claim. I mean, I sell a lot of Wii's and the few good games on the system hardly get any recognition (Resident Evil, Metroid, etc). A lot of people are content with Wii Sports. A lot of people buy Wii Play for the controller. Other than that I can't say that I have seen anything else sell with any consistency.

    Wait... you're saying your anecdotal evidence is less vague and solid than solid attach ratio numbers from Nintendo, along with sales data on how well Wii games sell?

    Are you actually a crazy person or do you just play one on tv?
    The Wii has the lowest attach rate of any current system. The top selling Wii games are Wii Sports, Wii Play, and Guitar Hero 3. Wii Sports comes with the system, Wii Play is bought for the controller, and Guitar Hero is Guitar Hero. I'm sure that if you are getting your info just from Nintendo then ANYTHING seems possible.

    Ok, let me just say something here... I don't get my info from Nintendo. I don't get my info from anywhere besides on these fine boards here.

    However, the Wii has an alright attach ratio according to NPD. I mean, it's not nearly as crazy as the 360's, but it's about as good as the PS3's. 3.4 doesn't really seem too terrible considering that the top at the moment is 6.3, and the PS3 is 3.5.

    I was mainly pointing out that you said numbers were vague (somehow "wii attach ratio" to you means "Wii DS and GBA attach ratio"), and then went on to list off some anecdotal evidence. It just seemed odd to me. Especially the whole "I don't see any evidence to support those numbers. I mean, anecdotal evidence" part of the original post. Very "I'm crazy" sounding.

    Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Phonehand wrote: »
    You would think that if half the people who bought the Wii had any fucking clue what it even did. Wii games don't sell. People just buy what's popular for their kids. The Wii doesn't sell because its a quality system.

    People know that the Wii gives them fun when they pretend to bowl and play tennis. Wii games do sell, becaus Wii Sports is selling so well people will pay $250 for it. Many teenagers and adults are buying Wiis for their own use. "Quality"? Kind of hard to nail down.

    Cervetus on
    The libertarian response to anything is, "Sure, that works fine in practice, but it doesn't fly in theory."
  • VrayVray Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Oh damn. Is it already time for people to be pulling out sales charts and talking about demographics? I thought we were talking about some shitty review from a non-gaming website.

    Vray on
  • PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Phonehand wrote: »
    Phonehand wrote: »
    Blaket wrote: »
    The attach rate is suprisingly strong.It could be due to shovelware however AND Wii play or whatever you get free with a controller. Note it is last, but with the theory of people just buy it and leave it lying around is wrong.

    http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/1924/analyze_this_a_progress_report_on_.php?page=2
    Up until now, software selection has been adequate, but we continue to be concerned with the lack of must-have third-party titles targeting the mass-market audience. The average Wii owner in the U.S. has only purchased 2.8 titles, which is significantly lower than the Xbox 360 owner (5.5 titles) and more surprisingly, the PlayStation 3 owner (3.0). Nintendo continues to hold the key to driving software sales for the Wii. The five best selling Nintendo titles to date are all home-grown franchises, as are the three most anticipated upcoming Wii titles: Super Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and Mario Kart.

    That seems pretty vague. Is that just Wii games or does that include the DS and Advance? Other than that, there doesn't seem to be any solid evidence supporting that claim. I mean, I sell a lot of Wii's and the few good games on the system hardly get any recognition (Resident Evil, Metroid, etc). A lot of people are content with Wii Sports. A lot of people buy Wii Play for the controller. Other than that I can't say that I have seen anything else sell with any consistency.

    Wait... you're saying your anecdotal evidence is less vague and solid than solid attach ratio numbers from Nintendo, along with sales data on how well Wii games sell?

    Are you actually a crazy person or do you just play one on tv?
    The Wii has the lowest attach rate of any current system. The top selling Wii games are Wii Sports, Wii Play, and Guitar Hero 3. Wii Sports comes with the system, Wii Play is bought for the controller, and Guitar Hero is Guitar Hero. I'm sure that if you are getting your info just from Nintendo then ANYTHING seems possible.

    Ok, let me just say something here... I don't get my info from Nintendo. I don't get my info from anywhere besides on these fine boards here.

    However, the Wii has an alright attach ratio according to NPD. I mean, it's not nearly as crazy as the 360's, but it's about as good as the PS3's. 3.4 doesn't really seem too terrible considering that the top at the moment is 6.3, and the PS3 is 3.5.

    I was mainly pointing out that you said numbers were vague (somehow "wii attach ratio" to you means "Wii DS and GBA attach ratio"), and then went on to list off some anecdotal evidence. It just seemed odd to me. Especially the whole "I don't see any evidence to support those numbers. I mean, anecdotal evidence" part of the original post. Very "I'm crazy" sounding.
    It wasn't talking about the Wii attach ratio. It says 'best selling Nintendo titles.' And the top five selling Wii games aren't homegrown so that doesn't make sense to believe it's talking about Wii games.

    In addition to this you have to keep in mind once again that the Wii comes with Wii Sports and Wii Play has a controller

    Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Phonehand wrote: »
    Phonehand wrote: »
    Phonehand wrote: »
    Blaket wrote: »
    The attach rate is suprisingly strong.It could be due to shovelware however AND Wii play or whatever you get free with a controller. Note it is last, but with the theory of people just buy it and leave it lying around is wrong.

    http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/1924/analyze_this_a_progress_report_on_.php?page=2
    Up until now, software selection has been adequate, but we continue to be concerned with the lack of must-have third-party titles targeting the mass-market audience. The average Wii owner in the U.S. has only purchased 2.8 titles, which is significantly lower than the Xbox 360 owner (5.5 titles) and more surprisingly, the PlayStation 3 owner (3.0). Nintendo continues to hold the key to driving software sales for the Wii. The five best selling Nintendo titles to date are all home-grown franchises, as are the three most anticipated upcoming Wii titles: Super Mario Galaxy, Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and Mario Kart.

    That seems pretty vague. Is that just Wii games or does that include the DS and Advance? Other than that, there doesn't seem to be any solid evidence supporting that claim. I mean, I sell a lot of Wii's and the few good games on the system hardly get any recognition (Resident Evil, Metroid, etc). A lot of people are content with Wii Sports. A lot of people buy Wii Play for the controller. Other than that I can't say that I have seen anything else sell with any consistency.

    Wait... you're saying your anecdotal evidence is less vague and solid than solid attach ratio numbers from Nintendo, along with sales data on how well Wii games sell?

    Are you actually a crazy person or do you just play one on tv?
    The Wii has the lowest attach rate of any current system. The top selling Wii games are Wii Sports, Wii Play, and Guitar Hero 3. Wii Sports comes with the system, Wii Play is bought for the controller, and Guitar Hero is Guitar Hero. I'm sure that if you are getting your info just from Nintendo then ANYTHING seems possible.

    Ok, let me just say something here... I don't get my info from Nintendo. I don't get my info from anywhere besides on these fine boards here.

    However, the Wii has an alright attach ratio according to NPD. I mean, it's not nearly as crazy as the 360's, but it's about as good as the PS3's. 3.4 doesn't really seem too terrible considering that the top at the moment is 6.3, and the PS3 is 3.5.

    I was mainly pointing out that you said numbers were vague (somehow "wii attach ratio" to you means "Wii DS and GBA attach ratio"), and then went on to list off some anecdotal evidence. It just seemed odd to me. Especially the whole "I don't see any evidence to support those numbers. I mean, anecdotal evidence" part of the original post. Very "I'm crazy" sounding.
    It wasn't talking about the Wii attach ratio. It says 'best selling Nintendo titles.' And the top five selling Wii games aren't homegrown so that doesn't make sense to believe it's talking about Wii games.

    According to wikipedia the 5 best selling Wii games are:

    Which one of those five wasn't made by Nintendo?

    Again... craaazyyy...

    Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    And guess how many of those are still on top sales charts

    For every console sold, one game is sold. In comparison to the 360 and PS3 which only come with the system until just recently. Then take into account that most sensible people buy Wii Play instead of an extra controller. The attachment rate is pretty abysmal.

    And he still said Nintendo not Wii games so neener neener.

    Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • HenroidHenroid Radio Demon Internet HellRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Vray wrote: »
    Oh damn. Is it already time for people to be pulling out sales charts and talking about demographics? I thought we were talking about some shitty review from a non-gaming website.
    No fucking kidding. Take it to the Video Game Sales thread guys. :x

    I don't know if it was the article specifically being sponsored by Sony (I'm actually about to read it for the first time and note what I see wrong in it below). It may have been meant for the site being Sponsored by Sony, maybe it was specifically put there, maybe it was randomly generated, maybe it was bad luck that it came up, who knows.

    "... no longer have the best platform on which to work." - This is not necessary to the review. The review is about Galaxy, not the Wii or its competition.

    "... the graphics simply aren't up to par with what players can now find on the Playstation 3 or Xbox 360." - Not relevant to the review. Is it true? Yeah, sure, but there are better ways to express this opinion than going on about the competition.

    "... evil dragon Bowser..." - Somebody doesn't play Mario games at all. Also, the entire line following this is super condescending to the gameplay. It can be better written. You don't have to like it, but you don't have to be a dick.

    "... they may feel motion sickness." - Aside from not giving gamers some credit, it seems like this is a far grasp to find negativity in the game. Motion sickness can develop from many other games. This doesn't have to be included; this is a clear attack.

    "As good as the game is, though, it's evidence of how bad the Wii is for third person action games..." - Please keep your review about the game and not condescending the console's capability. You can bash the control scheme all you want, but to shut out an entire genre using this article is fucking stupid.

    "... but given the vastly superior quality of the graphics in a game like "Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction," currently available for the PS3, "Galaxy" looks old fashioned and lifeless." - This line alone screams 'sale pitch,' and convinces me that they were selling the Playstation 3 to people and trying to keep people away from doing business with Nintendo.

    So, here's what I know now:

    The article bashes a game that has received plenty of praise elsewhere. To note on that, 'elsewhere' would be sites and news groups that actually handle video games all the time. I don't know what the hell Variety is, I've only heard of it just now. I don't think they really understand what they're talking about, and having read the article I am convinced that this article had Sony money thrown at it. This is terrible form, and if this sort of thing happens again, a lot of people are going to be extremely pissed.

    I'll still say, "Okay, maybe they're just fucking stupid on their own and Sony didn't have to intervene," to be fair. But I think we should all be on our toes, so to speak, to see if something like this happens again. I would like to think that it wouldn't, but if it does, Sony is going to have a lot of shame on their hands.

    Henroid on
    Centrism is just the cowardly way to be a bigot w/o being explicit about it.
    American politics isn't 4D chess, it's just if you give a shit about other people or not.
  • PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The Wii's capabilities and controls have more to do with the gameplay than you think!
    You have to keep in mind that this wasn't in a gaming magazine or website soooo it's obviously not just targeting gamers. Using an identifier for R&C isn't a sales pitch at all. It's just a reference so people who aren't as knowledgeable as you know what the article is talking about.

    Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Do people who read Variety even know what the fuck Ratchet and Clank is?

    Cervetus on
    The libertarian response to anything is, "Sure, that works fine in practice, but it doesn't fly in theory."
  • PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    That's the ticket!

    Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • HenroidHenroid Radio Demon Internet HellRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Phonehand wrote: »
    The Wii's capabilities and controls have more to do with the gameplay than you think!
    You have to keep in mind that this wasn't in a gaming magazine or website soooo it's obviously not just targeting gamers. Using an identifier for R&C isn't a sales pitch at all. It's just a reference so people who aren't as knowledgeable as you know what the article is talking about.

    I said they can go on about the control scheme all they want. The mistake was when they bashed an entire genre with it. That's bad form. Some platformers can have good controls, some can have shitty controls on the same console. You have missed the point.

    If it isn't targeting gamers and is going for the uninformed, then let me ask this: Which is a more "Oh, video games right?" brand: Mario, or Ratchet and Clank? A reference? No, it was a sales pitch.

    Edit - I was beaten on that last point.

    Henroid on
    Centrism is just the cowardly way to be a bigot w/o being explicit about it.
    American politics isn't 4D chess, it's just if you give a shit about other people or not.
  • GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    what is this, the wii and galaxy bashing thread? i've participated in way too many of these for my liking. so i'll just say it was a dumb review and be done with it. I personally think that galaxy is the best thing since sliced bread, but me liking the game probably gives plenty of people what they feel to be legitimate credit to label me as a fanboy. whatevs.

    Guek on
  • PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Henroid wrote: »
    Phonehand wrote: »
    The Wii's capabilities and controls have more to do with the gameplay than you think!
    You have to keep in mind that this wasn't in a gaming magazine or website soooo it's obviously not just targeting gamers. Using an identifier for R&C isn't a sales pitch at all. It's just a reference so people who aren't as knowledgeable as you know what the article is talking about.

    I said they can go on about the control scheme all they want. The mistake was when they bashed an entire genre with it. That's bad form. Some platformers can have good controls, some can have shitty controls on the same console. You have missed the point.

    If it isn't targeting gamers and is going for the uninformed, then let me ask this: Which is a more "Oh, video games right?" brand: Mario, or Ratchet and Clank? A reference? No, it was a sales pitch.

    Edit - I was beaten on that last point.

    Yeah, people don't know R&C. That's why you need to say that it's a similar platforming game on the PS3. I don't see why that's hard for people to wrap their minds around.

    Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • VariableVariable Ted Hitler Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Phonehand wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    Phonehand wrote: »
    The Wii's capabilities and controls have more to do with the gameplay than you think!
    You have to keep in mind that this wasn't in a gaming magazine or website soooo it's obviously not just targeting gamers. Using an identifier for R&C isn't a sales pitch at all. It's just a reference so people who aren't as knowledgeable as you know what the article is talking about.

    I said they can go on about the control scheme all they want. The mistake was when they bashed an entire genre with it. That's bad form. Some platformers can have good controls, some can have shitty controls on the same console. You have missed the point.

    If it isn't targeting gamers and is going for the uninformed, then let me ask this: Which is a more "Oh, video games right?" brand: Mario, or Ratchet and Clank? A reference? No, it was a sales pitch.

    Edit - I was beaten on that last point.

    Yeah, people don't know R&C. That's why you need to say that it's a similar platforming game on the PS3. I don't see why that's hard for people to wrap their minds around.

    because it isn't related to the review!

    Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Wow.. I go away to play HL: Blue Shift for the first time, and come back to this...

    Hey, guys?

    First, read page 1 and 2 before you start talking about this being a conspiracy. I don't want to change the title, but still.

    Two, stop the personal attacks and the console attacks. Neither of them have a place in this thread. I think some interesting discussion has been spawned regarding the validity of reviews, but it's been marred by some.. well, you can all read it if you want. Just stop it and focus on the article's merits, or lack thereof.

    Also, another angle to consider: Variety is not mainstream, but it is one of those lifeblood magazines of Hollywood. In other words, a lot of people who can put out positive buzz about the Wii read it. They might not affect overall sales, but it could affect mindshare. Just something to consider.




    Anyways, if the personal attacks and the console flaming doesn't go away (or at least get out of control), I'll ask a mod to lock this thread.

    Athenor on
    Official member of the Grilling Gentry
    "Brevity is the soul of getting your shit read." - Tube
    Rarely-updated Collecting blog
    He/Him
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Also, don't make me start quoting anecdotes from when IGN decided to review systems based on a game's peers, or when they first started doing multi-platform reviews as a single review...

    They aren't pretty.

    Athenor on
    Official member of the Grilling Gentry
    "Brevity is the soul of getting your shit read." - Tube
    Rarely-updated Collecting blog
    He/Him
  • PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Variable wrote: »
    Phonehand wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    Phonehand wrote: »
    The Wii's capabilities and controls have more to do with the gameplay than you think!
    You have to keep in mind that this wasn't in a gaming magazine or website soooo it's obviously not just targeting gamers. Using an identifier for R&C isn't a sales pitch at all. It's just a reference so people who aren't as knowledgeable as you know what the article is talking about.

    I said they can go on about the control scheme all they want. The mistake was when they bashed an entire genre with it. That's bad form. Some platformers can have good controls, some can have shitty controls on the same console. You have missed the point.

    If it isn't targeting gamers and is going for the uninformed, then let me ask this: Which is a more "Oh, video games right?" brand: Mario, or Ratchet and Clank? A reference? No, it was a sales pitch.

    Edit - I was beaten on that last point.

    Yeah, people don't know R&C. That's why you need to say that it's a similar platforming game on the PS3. I don't see why that's hard for people to wrap their minds around.

    because it isn't related to the review!
    Sure it is. When I don't like a game I will recommend a better game to someone. And I guess you could call that a sales pitch but I mean come on.

    Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Phonehand wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    Phonehand wrote: »
    Henroid wrote: »
    Phonehand wrote: »
    The Wii's capabilities and controls have more to do with the gameplay than you think!
    You have to keep in mind that this wasn't in a gaming magazine or website soooo it's obviously not just targeting gamers. Using an identifier for R&C isn't a sales pitch at all. It's just a reference so people who aren't as knowledgeable as you know what the article is talking about.

    I said they can go on about the control scheme all they want. The mistake was when they bashed an entire genre with it. That's bad form. Some platformers can have good controls, some can have shitty controls on the same console. You have missed the point.

    If it isn't targeting gamers and is going for the uninformed, then let me ask this: Which is a more "Oh, video games right?" brand: Mario, or Ratchet and Clank? A reference? No, it was a sales pitch.

    Edit - I was beaten on that last point.

    Yeah, people don't know R&C. That's why you need to say that it's a similar platforming game on the PS3. I don't see why that's hard for people to wrap their minds around.

    because it isn't related to the review!
    Sure it is. When I don't like a game I will recommend a better game to someone. And I guess you could call that a sales pitch but I mean come on.

    but their main beef seems to be that galaxy is on the wii and not on another console...

    Guek on
Sign In or Register to comment.