As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Sony-sponsored Galaxy Review (possible spoilers)

• ruiisuruiisu Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    LoL @ MDK that takes me back... maybe thats why I love Ratchet so much! :P Oh man I want a PS3...

Gnometank:
    Yeah its an '06 RSX Type-S. The SI is really nice but it killed the production of my car T_T... The only thing that bugs me about it (the civic) is the drive-by-wire but still enjoy it is such a great ride! 8-)

I also belive for Sony buying off a review to be a bit of a stretch but stranger things have happened like the X-MAS PSP. ;)

ruiisu on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RonenRonen Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    .la1n wrote: »
    Ronen wrote: »
    The comment that really puzzles (and convinces me it's a shill) most is "having different pieces of the controller in each hand is awkward." So holding your hands in a spread out (I daresay, more natural) position is awkward?

Does this guy think you have to keep your hands together, or perhaps he forgot to take the little wire that rolled up the cord off when he plugged in his Wii remote for the first time five minutes before playing Super Mario Galaxy.

I've nothing against reviews that are nitpicky so long as they're nitpicky for the right reasons. It's comments like that that prevent me from taking this review seriously.

It's not even just the fact that it's a "nitpicky" review. It's compounded by the fact that the "nitpicks" make up the bulk of the review, whereas the wonderful and crazy things that Galaxy does get little side-mentions in between the bitching.

The two-player experience isn't amazing? Well, it's an opinion, but whatever. It's a core Mario game, and the fact that it has 2-player simultaneous play at all is a bonus.

The graphics aren't "up to par"... Wow, we still haven't progressed past this point yet? We all get it, the Wii doesn't make my games look all pretty like the PS3 or 360. But they look better than my PS2 and Gamecube, and guess what? Both those systems have some of my favorite games of all time. Just because we can have super pretty games doesn't mean I can't get enjoyment out of games that aren't on the cutting edge of technology.

Anyway, the complaints in the review might have been defensible, but when they're the focus of the review instead of the other 99% of the game that is completely fun and amazing, it's a little suspect.

I agree, I'm suprised the graphic argument is still even coming into play. I hate the PS2/Wii ports but other than that I think it's a capable enough system. Galaxies is a beautiful game, even running 480p on my HDtv is looks fantastic - it's no Ratchet and Clank: Tools of Destruction, currently available for the PS3, at a manufacturers suggested retail price of $59.99, but did anyone expect it to be? The art direction is what really does it, you can also lump Metroid Prime 3 into that category. The graphics is MP3 weren't on par technically with what I have for my 360/PS3 but the art direction was fantastic and more than made up for it.

Fixed, you shill.

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

or Brawl. 4854.6102.3895 Name: NU..
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Evander wrote: »
    Galaxy has the worst co-op since Sonic 2 ;-)

You mess with Sonic two I will hunt you down.

So many wonderful afternoons playing as tails because my older sister claimed Sonic.

Khavall on
  • ArthoisArthois Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    You know, I'm a great fan of Ratchet & Clank, I long for the new game everyday.

I also sit infront of a PS3 all day to test stuff don't actually work yet. Still even tho I see it, use it & watch it's power, I'm still now going to pay that much money for one.

It's not worth it, maybe one day they'll get that in their thick head.

Arthois on
    Bandwith ate my sig, :(
    Pokemon Pearl Friend Code : 3995 4211 1183
  • mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Arthois wrote: »

I also sit infront of a PS3 all day to test stuff don't actually work yet. Still even tho I see it, use it & watch it's power, I'm still now going to pay that much money for one.

Sounds like somebody's bitter about buying Lair.
    Sarcastic Zing!

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • DigDug2000DigDug2000 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

R&C isn't even a platformer. I can kinda understand Joe Shmoe getting confused, but anyone who plays both games for 5 minutes can tell they don't play like the same kinda of game.

AND its not as if R&C doesn't have its share of shitty camera problems too. But I guess they're excused because its pretty?

DigDug2000 on
  • ArthoisArthois Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    mausmalone wrote: »

Sounds like somebody's bitter about buying Lair.
    Sarcastic Zing!

:lol: I'm not you.

I don't own a PS3, I use one for testing, the 12 000$ version, I think, not sure.

Arthois on
    Bandwith ate my sig, :(
    Pokemon Pearl Friend Code : 3995 4211 1183
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Khavall wrote: »

So many wonderful afternoons playing as tails because my older sister claimed Sonic.

So many wonderful afternoons forcing my little brother to play as tails...

Seriously, though, Galaxy is the closest to a return to that experience, where it is still consumately the single player game, but a friend or sibling can add something to your experience, and also can hang out while you play and have something to do other than just watching.

Not to mention the whole "younger sibling" aspect, where a younger sibling can chip in, and help with the game, without worrying about them dying and getting upset. They are invulnerable, and exist basically only to help you out.

Evander on
  • Greg USNGreg USN Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Tzen wrote: »
    I'll buy a Wii when I can use a lightsaber/The Force or Indy's whip with motion controls.

How hard would it be to make the best Indiana Jones game ever for the Wii? Punch dudes. Shoot dudes. Whip dudes. Swing over stuff.

Not hard.

Edit: Who is surprised that a videogame review in Variety isn't very good? But even still, the guy is just plain right about some of the stuff. I wasn't impressed with the graphics in Galaxy, either. There was some observatory or some such that needed power. How was this represented? Black textures. Yup. I can deal with lower poly counts or not-ultra-uber-high-super-res textures, but the game just looks kind of weird and uninspired. But I guess there's no convincing some of you that it isn't TEH BEST GAEM EVAR!~

I am enjoying the game thus far but I agree that it is not the best thing ever. It is a definite step above sunshine, which I felt was digital diarrhea. It is very solid but not very ground breaking. I thinks me likes the Resident Evil UCs though =o

edit:
    Ok, I just read the review... Honestly I pretty much agree with everything he said about the game except the hard to control part (i.e. not visually stunning, lame story, overall more of the same). Unless he was paid by sony (which I don't think he was) I don't see the issue here.

To the people who took issue with his cross console graphix comparison, would you be offended if by chance a wii game looks better then a 360 or PS3 game some day and a reviewer pointed it out? He is speaking to a more casual crowd and I don't really see the issue with his statement. If it was aimed at the folks that frequent this forum then I would agree that it was not a great thing to throw in his review.

I also agree that the motion controls were tacked on. OMG SHAKE ME TO MAKE THE SPINZ!!!! isn't really that revolutionary. Neither is pointing at star bits for that matter.

All in all I do enjoy the game as I stated before. Maybe everyone doesn't like it though?

Greg USN on
    FFXIV Petra Ironheart
    Infinity Mog 21 and over Free Company Sargatanas Server. Recruitment currently closed.
    m1LuFkU.jpg
  • PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Mr_Rose wrote: »
    Phonehand wrote: »
    That's great that you want to argue semantics but just because it doesn't say "Review" across the top with a shiny 9.5 doesn't mean it's any less of a review than something you find in EGM.
    So reviews aren't different from editorials now? I wonder why they still put them on different pages in the newspaper then....

The only difference between an editorial and a review is that a review has some kind of rating system attached to it. An editorial about your opinion of a game is practically the same thing as a review. In addition to this, I don't see any kind of score on the 'review' in question in this thread, so should we just discount the entire thing?

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
    edited November 2007
    Greg USN wrote: »
    I also agree that the motion controls were tacked on. OMG SHAKE ME TO MAKE THE SPINZ!!!! isn't really that revolutionary. Neither is pointing at star bits for that matter.

All in all I do enjoy the game as I stated before. Maybe everyone doesn't like it though?

I have a problem with this: the assumption that every Wii game has to use every single function of the Wii controller. Granted this isn't what you said, but it is a sentiment that's been relayed regarding a lot of Wii games.

It's the same thing with DS games, but reviewers have caught onto it at this point: there are some great DS games that don't use the touch screen at all, or only use it in a trivial manner, but most reviewers won't mark that as a blemish so long as the game is good. Mario Galaxy is a great platformer in its own right, so why mark it down because the designers went light on the motion controls?

The other thing is, the full motion sensing capabilities are used at various points throughout the game, like the racing or ball rolling portions, and they're used pretty well. I'm glad that stuff like that is interspersed here and there, but I wouldn't want the whole game to be like that. If I did, I'd buy Monkey Ball or Mercury Meltdown. For the regular platforming sections, the waving of the Wii remote to attack is unobtrusive and doesn't throw off what you're doing, and that's why it works. The developers clearly experimented with lots of different ways to implement all the functionality of the Wii remote and settled on this.

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

• MiserableMirthMiserableMirth Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    What's funny is that the kind of people who would be reading this would probably enjoy the co-op mode. It doesn't take much skill and allows you to play with a buddy/significant other who is more into video games.

Then he goes and calls it the worst co-op ever.

MiserableMirth on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    No girlfriend is going to spend more than 10 minutes collecting star chunks while you play the actual game.

You know, it is quite a boring task.

The_Scarab on
    edited November 2007
    What's funny is that the kind of people who would be reading this would probably enjoy the co-op mode. It doesn't take much skill and allows you to play with a buddy/significant other who is more into video games.

Then he goes and calls it the worst co-op ever.

Co-star Mode is pretty easy to gloss over if you don't give it a chance, but once the person in the 2p position gets the hang of it, there's actually a lot of stuff to keep them busy while the platforming goes on. After a while, it truly does become a full cooperative mode where 2p is helping out, issuing warnings, defending the player and gathering star bits while Mario concentrates on other things. Most everyone I've watched try the 2p game really liked it, and especially liked how they can hop in and out as they wanted to.

But clearly this guy didn't like it as much.
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    No girlfriend is going to spend more than 10 minutes collecting star chunks while you play the actual game.

I mean, it depends on the girlfriend, but mine has spent a total of six hours over the past three days playing along with me. When I said it was time to stop, she begged for me to keep going. She gets stressed out when she plays 3D games, but she loves everything she can do while I'm handling all the tough stuff.

That and she likes that she can blame every time we die on me since I'm controlling Mario. :(

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

• cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Mine did. Mainly because there's lots more you can do than gather star chunks. Also she likes alternately helping me/hindering me.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    That's great that you want to argue semantics but just because it doesn't say "Review" across the top with a shiny 9.5 doesn't mean it's any less of a review than something you find in EGM.
    So reviews aren't different from editorials now? I wonder why they still put them on different pages in the newspaper then....

The only difference between an editorial and a review is that a review has some kind of rating system attached to it. An editorial about your opinion of a game is practically the same thing as a review. In addition to this, I don't see any kind of score on the 'review' in question in this thread, so should we just discount the entire thing?

Pretty sure I already had, being why I hadn't brought it up.
    Anyway, the essential difference between an editorial and a review is reason; reviews are supposed to be critical and they are allowed to be harsh and hateful but they must give a reason why. If a reviewer hates something, they must explain themselves, however "because it sucks" is no more a reason than "there's something I like better elsewhere" just like when you were a kid you were never satisfied when your parents told you "because I said so". It is of course possible for an editorial to stray into review-space if the writer becomes over-enthusiastic, but for a piece described as a review, I expect certain minimum standards.
    Having a score on the end is a summary, a way to separate articles in a list of "title+score", the equivalent of "tl:dr" sections, and is not essential to the essence of the reviewer's art.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    edited November 2007
    cloudeagle wrote: »

Mine did. Mainly because there's lots more you can do than gather star chunks. Also she likes alternately helping me/hindering me.

With me its all about the goddam DS.

Surprisingly, it is also all about Hotel Dusk. Who knew that was a girlfriend game?

The_Scarab on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Surprisingly, it is also all about Hotel Dusk. Who knew that was a girlfriend game?

Mine's not a gamer at all, but she digs the crap out of Phoenix Wright. And Rayman Raving Rabbids. Even the part where you bludgeon a bunny with a hammer.

Especially the part where you bludgeon a bunny with a hammer.

I sleep with one eye open.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007

She actually just plays to get the experience of a real man.

You aren't Kyle Hyde enough for her.

Bloods End on
  • SoonerManSoonerMan Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I just gots to say... I love this game. I think its brilliant, I love the graphics and..... thank you.

SoonerMan on
    Rah, Oklahoma! Rah, Oklahoma! Rah, Oklahoma~! O-K-U!
    edited November 2007
    Bloods End wrote: »

Hey. Im good. I'll Kyle Hyde you right fucking now to prove it.

The_Scarab on
  • scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    reviewer can sleep in his shit knowing he ruffled some feathers..

most of us will sleep well knowing we just played one of the best mario game to date.

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
    edited November 2007
    scootch wrote: »
    reviewer can sleep in him giant pile of dollar bills wall to wall because he writes for variety

most of us will sleep well knowing we get annoyed at peoples opinions over the internet

The_Scarab on
  • MistaCreepyMistaCreepy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    scootch wrote: »
    reviewer can sleep in him giant pile of dollar bills wall to wall because he writes for variety

most of us will sleep well knowing we get annoyed at peoples opinions over the internet

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
  • JLM-AWPJLM-AWP Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Wow, that was an assault on the Wii if anything.

What's funny is, if Sony is making fun of Nintendo for lack of motion controls, then they should be doing the same to themselves. Even without what makes the Wii more than a "Gamecube 1.5", it's still outselling them. Yikes.

That was a pretty funny review, especially the very formal and detailed mention of TP in the beginning.

JLM-AWP on
  • King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Khavall wrote: »

So many wonderful afternoons forcing my little brother to play as tails...

I never got that logic. Being tails is an honor.

It's like this - I need a finely tuned weapon . An invincible orange blur . I do the levels and you take out that boss. You're the only man for the job. CAN I COUNT ON YOU!

King Riptor on
    I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Anyway, the essential difference between an editorial and a review is reason; reviews are supposed to be critical and they are allowed to be harsh and hateful but they must give a reason why. If a reviewer hates something, they must explain themselves, however "because it sucks" is no more a reason than "there's something I like better elsewhere" just like when you were a kid you were never satisfied when your parents told you "because I said so". It is of course possible for an editorial to stray into review-space if the writer becomes over-enthusiastic, but for a piece described as a review, I expect certain minimum standards.
    Having a score on the end is a summary, a way to separate articles in a list of "title+score", the equivalent of "tl:dr" sections, and is not essential to the essence of the reviewer's art.
    But they're the same thing
    I don't understand how you think they are different
    No one would read an editorial that was harsh and hateful without giving reason

Phonehand on
    pmdunk.jpg
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007

You don't have the Kyle Hydes to Kyle Hyde me

Bloods End on
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

But they're the same thing
    I don't understand how you think they are different
    No one would read an editorial that was harsh and hateful without giving reason

I think this is an A = B but B does not necessarily = A conundrum.
    Apple = Fruit, Fruit =/= Apple.

In less batshit terms, a review is an editorial.
    An editorial is not always a review.

The Muffin Man on
  • CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

You don't have the Kyle Hydes to Kyle Hyde me

Laughing. So hard.

I got Galaxy + Zak & Wiki from that Toys R Us deal, so I let the fiance choose which one she gets to beat first while I play the other.

She chose Galaxy, and now we take turns watching each other play these games, respectively.

I riddle her foes with star jibblies, or hold enemies in place to save her life on multiple occasions, and she never stops scribbling over the freaking screen for hours with that terrible screeching marker noise. Tip for life: Never make your fiance die through the poke-jump in Galaxy. Hell hath no fury...

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

I wholeheartedly disagree with that.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • NickleNickle Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Narian wrote: »

So does my girlfriend, who insists that I don't beat the game without her there, despite her not being a big fan of videogames in the first place.

Had to stop at 59 stars, last night, because she was at work.

Hell hath no fury, indeed.

Nickle on
    Xbox/PSN/NNID/Steam: NickleDL | 3DS: 0731-4750-6906
    edited November 2007
    Nickle wrote: »

So does my girlfriend, who insists that I don't beat the game without her there, despite her not being a big fan of videogames in the first place.

Had to stop at 59 stars, last night, because she was at work.

Hell hath no fury, indeed.

Last night my girlfriend went to a girls night out and didn't get home until really late. Of course, I played SMG nearly all night... but she made me write down which stages we'll need to play again so that she can experience them.

My 2p has me whipped.

I'm pretty sure if I beat the game without her she'd never speak to me again. She wasn't happy that I made that much progress to begin with (although I didn't even move on to a new observatory even though I could've 15 stars ago).

I stopped around 42 stars, having just unlocked the
    Trial Galaxies
    . Haven't tried them yet, but I'm sure I'm about to find out why I had Nintendo send me four Wiimote safety condoms.

Ronen on
    Go play MOTHER3

• AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Somebody doesn't have a girlfriend

Algertman on
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    Alls I know is, for a review about a videogame, the guy sure does spend alot of time bitching about the hardware, company behind the hardware, and their competition.

Sheep on
  • HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The review is pretty lousy, I'll admit, but when I first saw news of this, I noticed something pretty important.

The exact link used by other sites to the "sponsored review" doesn't actually occur anywhere on Variety's website that I can find. The categoryid parameter in the URL is changed.

The URL as used by other sites to show the Sponsored by Sony" icon:
    http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117935396.html?categoryid=1269&cs=1

The URL as used by Variety's website (This is what it was at least on the 13th, one day after the review was first posted. Categoryid=1023 is what the site uses for all its video game reviews. Either they never used the above link, or else they changed it before the backlash started.

http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117935396.html?categoryid=1023&cs=1

Note that Sony doesn't appear to sponsor this version.

You can substitute categoryid=1269 for any of the reviews on the site to add the "Sponsored by Sony" tag. For example, music reviews use categoryid=34. Here's a randomly selected music review from the site, as the URL is used by the rest of the sitee:

http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117935446.html?categoryid=34&cs=1

Now, switch the categoryid, as was done with the Super Mario Galaxy review:

http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117935446.html?categoryid=1269&cs=1

And now the Sponsored by Sony tag appears.

Looks like the site produced a lousy review of their own accord, not because Sony paid them too. Whether that's better or worse I leave as an exercise to the reader.

Edit: Special bonus because I'm bored, Sony likes Zelda: Phantom Hourglass
    http://www.variety.com/review/VE1117934925.html?categoryid=1269&cs=1
    The correct URL of this review also uses categoryid=1023, not 1269, and thus doesn't sport the Sony tag.

Edit^2: Did Nsider "break" this story, or did they repost it from somewhere else? As far as I can find, it appears Nsider is the one being dishonest here.

Hevach on
  • arinthelarinthel Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    IMHO, I think that some of the criticisms are fairly valid, aside from the "poor control" one. While I sometimes had a hard time getting Link to do what I wanted him to, the SMG demo has better control.

However, lack of motion control is something I didn't really expect. For a flagship title, on a system that has motion control as its main feature, the lack of any meaningful use for the accelerometer or tilt features in the Wiimote is a huge letdown. For the story, the same. Nintendo's philosophy for its game releases seems to be to keep squeezing the rock until their hands bleed, recycling the same story, the same worlds, the same everything, except for the one or two side characters who appear.

Graphics, I disagree with. Granted, the don't stand up to Ratchet and Clank. But with the exception of one or two levels, the art design in Ratchet and Clank isn't anywhere near as fantastical and surreal as what you will find in SMG. (I still favor Ratchet and Clank's look over the goofy, pre-K cartoon look most of the Mario leads have).

What really makes the whole review lose all credibility is the blatent comparison to Ratchet and clank "available on the PS3". Reading that at the end is almost a blatant marketing slap.

And Nintendo fanboys: Please relax, not all that Nintendo makes is perfect. Nintendo's fan club can be almost as bad as the Church of Apple's adherents.

arinthel on
  • NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    arinthel wrote: »
    And Nintendo fanboys: Please relax, not all that Nintendo makes is perfect. Nintendo's fan club can be almost as bad as the Church of Apple's adherents.

And you were doing so well.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

And you were doing so well.

Seconded. Man, that was fucking unnecessary.

Henroid on
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    However, lack of motion control is something I didn't really expect. For a flagship title, on a system that has motion control as its main feature, the lack of any meaningful use for the accelerometer or tilt features in the Wiimote is a huge letdown.

Forcing motion control into a game just because it is available is a bad, bad idea.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru