As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sony-sponsored Galaxy Review (possible spoilers)

123457»

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    arinthel wrote: »
    However, lack of motion control is something I didn't really expect. For a flagship title, on a system that has motion control as its main feature, the lack of any meaningful use for the accelerometer or tilt features in the Wiimote is a huge letdown.

Forcing motion control into a game just because it is available is a bad, bad idea.

Agreed. I'd give SMG a huge plus for not jamming useless motion controls in just for the sake of having motion controls in the game. They work best when they feel like part of the game, and not just some fancy way to press X.

(One of my personal favorites is the way you use it in Resistance: Fall of Man. This enemy guy grabs you in the face, you shake the control to get him off. It's like the only time they use it, and it works REALLY well because it feels completely natural and not gimmicky.)

shryke on
  • Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    shryke wrote: »
    However, lack of motion control is something I didn't really expect. For a flagship title, on a system that has motion control as its main feature, the lack of any meaningful use for the accelerometer or tilt features in the Wiimote is a huge letdown.

Forcing motion control into a game just because it is available is a bad, bad idea.

Agreed. I'd give SMG a huge plus for not jamming useless motion controls in just for the sake of having motion controls in the game
    . They work best when they feel like part of the game, and not just some fancy way to press X.

(One of my personal favorites is the way you use it in Resistance: Fall of Man. This enemy guy grabs you in the face, you shake the control to get him off. It's like the only time they use it, and it works REALLY well because it feels completely natural and not gimmicky.)
    i dunno, the shake attack in SMG just feels ridiculously stupid and tacked on to me, it would have been much better as a button

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    shryke wrote: »

Agreed. I'd give SMG a huge plus for not jamming useless motion controls in just for the sake of having motion controls in the game
    . They work best when they feel like part of the game, and not just some fancy way to press X.

i dunno, the shake attack in SMG just feels ridiculously stupid and tacked on to me, it would have been much better as a button

Which one? A and B are both already used, and neither function can be reasonably shunted over to the nunchuck, since A is too important and B really would only feel right as the trigger. The spin attack is also too important to dump onto Z, so fitting it to a controller shake makes sense. Remember that the controller shake essentially is another primary button, and using it like one isn't necessarily abusing it.

jothki on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Greg USN wrote: »
    To the people who took issue with his cross console graphix comparison, would you be offended if by chance a wii game looks better then a 360 or PS3 game some day and a reviewer pointed it out? He is speaking to a more casual crowd and I don't really see the issue with his statement. If it was aimed at the folks that frequent this forum then I would agree that it was not a great thing to throw in his review.

I also agree that the motion controls were tacked on. OMG SHAKE ME TO MAKE THE SPINZ!!!! isn't really that revolutionary. Neither is pointing at star bits for that matter.

if a massively less powerful system pulled off what the 360 and ps3 pull off, yeah I'd expect that to mention that. if a game looked shit for the Wii, I'd expect them to mention that.

if a game looks damn good for a wii game but not as a good as a game on the ps3, no I don't think that ought to be mentioned.

also, is anything that's not revolutionary tacked on, or did you just not feel like explaining that whole point? It's fine if you didn't feel like getting into it, I'm just curious.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch