As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Solved!] Oh noes, CPU fan won't start?

FrostozunaFrostozuna Registered User regular
edited November 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Crossposted from G&T:

So I woke up this morning and went to boot up my PC to check my email. I hear it come to life, then suddenly it turns off after maybe 3-4 seconds. Needless to say I was a little shocked so I tried again, same thing. Peeked into the side window and noticed that the CPU fan was not spinning, so I assume it's turning itself off as a precautionary measure.

I have noticed though that when I try to turn the computer on, it will keep trying to turn on after turning itself off - no idea what to make of this. So if I leave it alone after hitting the power button, it will run for 3-4 seconds, turn off, pause, turn on, 3-4 seconds, turn off, repeat. This goes on until I flip the switch on the power supply to break the cycle, but I've noticed that the fan will sometimes get a little 'shot' when I do this and will do a quick spin

Anyone have any idea whats going on? I'm in the computer lab between classes right now and really want to get back to my place to figure this out (wish I didn't find this until later so I wouldn't spend all day worrying) so I would really appreciate some of the forum's wise council in the meanwhile

Also if it helps at all the CPU is an E6750 with the stock fan, Antec 900 case, and the mobo is a Gigabyte P35

Frostozuna on

• Options
    CycophantCycophant Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm wondering if it's maybe a power supply issue? Or maybe even something more serious like your motherboard crapping out.

If your fan was dead, no big deal. The computer should run until it overheats, then shut down. This should take at least a few minutes from a cold start, and at least 10-15 seconds if it was left running. So I don't think it's shutting down as a protective measure.

I really don't know why your computer would be stuck in a cycle of restarting and shutting off - maybe someone who's familiar with the mobo knows something, but if that's not a normal thing for it to be doing, I'd suggest looking more closely at the power supply or the board itself.

Cycophant on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Its possible I guess. It might also be worth nothing that the monitor does not get a chance to display anything for the couple seconds that the tower is on, just 'PLEASE CHECK SIGNAL CABLE' so I don't get to see any BIOS messages

Frostozuna on
  • Options
    RuckusRuckus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'd start with the power supply.

Ruckus on
  • Options
    vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I have a Gigabyte P35-DS3R, and the same CPU too actually, and I've noticed that the CPU fan doesn't start spinning until a few seconds after power-on. It freaked me out something fierce at first, until I realized that there's some fan speed control stuff enabled by default in the BIOS. Until the BIOS initializes and determines how fast to spin the fan, it doesn't spin at all. Weird, but not damaging to the CPU; you have to be running under load for a good thirty seconds or so before you'd start to get into some dangerous temperatures. So I'd agree with Ruckus, try a different PSU if possible. Also, try unplugging everything but the bare essentials, try putting RAM in a different slot, basically anything you can do to narrow it down to one specific component.

On a slightly unrelated note, my system has a different problem, whereby the video doesn't initialize at all 2 boots out of 3. I've confirmed this to be the case with two separate, known good PCI-E video cards, two different sticks of RAM, and the bare minimum of stuff plugged into the board (video card, one stick of RAM, CPU, keyboard). So that's an RMA. At this point, Gigabyte has been tentatively placed on The Great Big List of Mobo Manufacturers Whose Products VonPoon Will Not Purchase Ever Again. :|

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • Options
    EvylEvyl Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    VonPoon: have you tried disabling your onboard video in the BIOS? It might be incorrectly selecting it instead of your video card during boot up.

Evyl on
  • Options
    kevbotkevbot Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    It could also just be a bad CPU fan... some motherboards won't allow the PC to start without being able to detect fan speed. If you can catch the thing before it shuts itself down try giving the CPU fan a little flick to get it started and see if the machine will power up. I used to have to do this to one of my servers that had one of those SilenX fans in it... the thing just couldn't start spinning on its own and the machine wouldn't start without the fan, so I just gave it a little flick to start it going.

kevbot on
    Your music is bad, and you should feel bad!
  • Options
    sinnsinn Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Indeed. Before swapping out PSUs and such, just try a different CPU fan, or at least give the fan a little helping nudge and see if that gets it spinning.

As stated above many motherboards will shutdown after a few seconds if no fan rotation is detected.

sinn on
    He who controls the past controls the future. He who controls the present controls the past.
  • Options
    PrimesghostPrimesghost Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I posted this on your original post under "Stupid Technology Subforum":
    Frostozuna wrote:
    So I woke up this morning and went to boot up my PC to check my email. I hear it come to life, then suddenly it turns off after maybe 3-4 seconds. Needless to say I was a little shocked so I tried again, same thing. Peeked into the side window and noticed that the CPU fan was not spinning, so I assume it's turning itself off as a precautionary measure.

You're absolutely right, it's shutting down to prevent serious heat damage. Well, either that or your power supply is bad (best case) or your power supply has overloaded and taken the motherboard with it (worst case).

Frostozuna wrote:
    I have noticed though that when I try to turn the computer on, it will keep trying to turn on after turning itself off - no idea what to make of this. So if I leave it alone after hitting the power button, it will run for 3-4 seconds, turn off, pause, turn on, 3-4 seconds, turn off, repeat. This goes on until I flip the switch on the power supply to break the cycle, but I've noticed that the fan will sometimes get a little 'shot' when I do this and will do a quick spin

Most likely this is a BIOS setting. Assuming that your PS and motherboard are fine it's probably a setting in the BIOS (I forget where) that says something like "Auto restart after error: enabled/disabled".

How to diagnose/fix it:

Find a computer buddy and take your computer to his/her place (or have them bring theirs to you, either way will work.)

Find another fan with the same type of power connector as your CPU fan, they usually look something like this. If the original CPU power connector looks like this, that's ok too because as you can see here, a three pin fan plug will still fit. For the record, make sure that the fan you find actually works, this is kinda important :). Also, this is not going to replace your CPU fan so don't run out and buy a new one yet.

Now, take the fan you dug up and plug it into the power socket that your CPU fan is currently plugged into. Now, with your computer on its side, plug it in and turn on the power as normal. If the fan you just plugged in starts to spin then you're in business (Woo Hoo!). Don't let the computer stay on for more than a few seconds. If the testing fan spins then you know that your original CPU fan is dead and you should just run out to the local electronics store and buy a new one to install. Crisis averted.

However, if the testing fan doesn't spin then flip the power switch on the power supply and try plugging it into another power socket on the board and turn the machine on again. If it spins this time then you know that the power socket on the motherboard is dead. In this case you'll want to plug the CPU fan in somewhere else on the mainboard or get an adapter to run from the power supply to the CPU fan. If the computer will boot once you get this done (meaning that your motherboard isn't dead) then you're back in business. By the way, if this is the case it's usually a symptom of nasty things to come with your motherboard and you should go ahead and start looking into a replacement.

If neither of these things work then you've got bigger trouble. Here's where your friend's computer comes into play. First, send your friend off to the store to get some Coke or chips or something. After they've left take the power supply out of their computer ;-). Now unhook your power supply and hook your friend's up to your motherboard. No need to plug in all the drives and whatnot, just need to see if it'll post. Once you've got the motherboard power and 12v plugged in go ahead and try to turn it on (praying here helps too). If it posts then you just need a new power supply but, if it doesn't post still, you've got serious problems.

What you'll need to do then is to take everything off of your motherboard except the CPU and memory. Unplug all drive cables from the board. Take out all PCI devices and try it again. If it posts now then start hooking things back up one at a time until it stops working again. When this happens then you'll have your culprit. But if it still won't start then gank your friend's memory and try it with that. If it still doesn't work then you're pretty much screwed and will need a new motherboard/CPU. Sorry.

Hope this helped.

Primesghost on
  • Options
    vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Evyl wrote: »
    VonPoon: have you tried disabling your onboard video in the BIOS? It might be incorrectly selecting it instead of your video card during boot up.
    There was no onboard video on my motherboard, but if there was, that would be a good thing to try. I actually did resolve my problem in the end. It was really dumb. Basically, I think there's a quirk on these Gigabyte boards where if you don't have the DVI cable connected to the correct port at power-on, it doesn't init the video. I had my DVI cable connected to the secondary DVI port, but if I switched the cables after POST, I still had no video. If I switched the cable to the primary DVI port before powering up the system, everything worked fine. Kinda goofy, but at least I don't have to RMA that board now.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I have a Gigabyte P35-DS3R, and the same CPU too actually, and I've noticed that the CPU fan doesn't start spinning until a few seconds after power-on. It freaked me out something fierce at first, until I realized that there's some fan speed control stuff enabled by default in the BIOS. Until the BIOS initializes and determines how fast to spin the fan, it doesn't spin at all. Weird, but not damaging to the CPU; you have to be running under load for a good thirty seconds or so before you'd start to get into some dangerous temperatures. So I'd agree with Ruckus, try a different PSU if possible. Also, try unplugging everything but the bare essentials, try putting RAM in a different slot, basically anything you can do to narrow it down to one specific component.

On a slightly unrelated note, my system has a different problem, whereby the video doesn't initialize at all 2 boots out of 3. I've confirmed this to be the case with two separate, known good PCI-E video cards, two different sticks of RAM, and the bare minimum of stuff plugged into the board (video card, one stick of RAM, CPU, keyboard). So that's an RMA. At this point, Gigabyte has been tentatively placed on The Great Big List of Mobo Manufacturers Whose Products VonPoon Will Not Purchase Ever Again. :|

I had a gigabyte mobo, may have been the same p35-ds3r, but I wouldn't know I only had it for about 2 hours

Ran for a whole 20 seconds. Posted, then did the same thing in the OP

Mobo was Dead on arrival according ot tech support. Switched to my Asus p5b-E and I'm running smooth.

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    OK after classes I went home and turned it on again just to see what would happen and this time it made it to Windows. No idea what was going on before with the power on/off. Everything appears to be fine, except the CPU fan isn't spinning all the time. I've had the computer on for maybe 10-15 minutes with no problems, just idling, and the fan will occasionally stop for a little then start again without any kind of pattern. All other fans in the case are working normally

So I'm assuming the stock fan is just dying? I just built this thing like a month ago and have not had any problems besides this. Would it be a bad idea to let the computer keep idling so I can wait to see if/when it turns itself off, or would that just cause damage I don't need

Frostozuna on
  • Options
    Infinity Minus OneInfinity Minus One __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    Could the change of season have any correlation to CPU fan deaths? I've heard of at least two other people say their fans are dead, now I see this thread, and on top of all this my own fan is also on it's way out. Half the time I boot up it spins at a speed thats way too low for cooling.

Infinity Minus One on
  • Options
    PrimesghostPrimesghost Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The BIOS has a built-in fan control to regulate heat. It's supposed to be a noise quieting technology. If you'd rather have the fan spin all the time you should be able to disable the fan speed control in BIOS.

Primesghost on
This discussion has been closed.