As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

What makes a game enjoyable?

CharlesVICharlesVI Registered User regular
edited November 2007 in Games and Technology
This is my first post here so to start off hello everyone!

Anyhow, as the title suggests I'm very curious to what makes a game enjoyable for you instead of it being just a simple distraction or even frustrating? For me it is competition but I'm well aware that not everyone shares my view and I would like to enlighten myself so to speak.

So please, let me know what you enjoy.

CharlesVI on

• Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    There really isn't any single answer, if that was what you were going for. In any case, I find that small details are one of my favorite things in games. For example, all of Dwarf Fortress, or destructible trees and buildings in Crysis along with the fact you can pick up and use most objects as weapns.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    For a game to be enjoyable it has to provide fourthings:

A) Impressive aesthetics. While high concept games can be fun, a game for me has to be good to look at. Im not saying it has to have impressive shiny graphics. It has to be a visual feast.

Good examples: Okami, Gears of War, Bioshock, Crysis, Ico, Rez.

B) Has to provide tactile and informative interaction. Im saying the feedback of the game from your interactions has to be pleasing. This means the act of playing the game is fun. Not the concept of how to play the game, but the act of inputting controls and receiving feedback.

Good examples: Wii Sports, Resident Evil 4, Any game with a cool peripheral (Donkey Konga, Guitar Hero), flOw, WoW

C) It has to not only be challenging, it also has to provide a sense of achievement. This can be in the form of a structured narrative to play through, a plotline, or a series of levels, a sense of accomplishment from overcoming hurdles, and a clear goal. This doesnt mean sandbox titles are bad, it means that in those games they have to allow you to set your own goals.

Good examples: GTA series, Oblivion, Most BioWare RPGs, Classic Lucasarts point n clicks

D) It has to do something different from other games. This is a crucial X-Factor that a lot of games lack. Be it a revolutionary change or even a minor innovation it has to push the genre forwards.

Good examples: Halo 3, Crysis, Team Fortress 2, Project Gotham Series (including MSR), Half Life 1 and 2, PSO

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Imagination. Artistry. Variety. Credible characters who aren't just stereotypes. Gameplay that possesses both accessibility and depth. Some portion of tactics or strategy, if only in which weapon you wind up using in which situation. Gameplay that is not merely trying to replicate bad action films or even good ones. A consistent and distinctive world. A mixture of setpieces and open-ended levels. Excellent sound design. Above all else, well-written dialogue and plot on the rare occasions they actually arise.

An absense of QTEs, and preferably of cutscenes if possible.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Games are designed so you are always able to progress or win. You don't need to spend a huge amount of time to make progress in any game and that effortlessness is very attractive to the lazy 18-34 year old American male. And if you do spend enough time, you will save Hyrule, you will come in first place, you will pull off a ten hit combo, etc.

All games are are manageable little challenges that give you a good feeling when you overcome obstacles. Frustration and failure don't even register in modern games - the player is always able to progress and win or else the game is poorly designed.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Games are designed so you are always able to progress or win. You don't need to spend a huge amount of time to make progress in any game and that effortlessness is very attractive to the lazy 18-34 year old American male. And if you do spend enough time, you will save Hyrule, you will come in first place, you will pull off a ten hit combo, etc.

All games are are manageable little challenges that give you a good feeling when you overcome obstacles. Frustration and failure don't even register in modern games - the player is always able to progress and win or else the game is poorly designed.

Ninja Gaiden and a mulititude of other great, difficult games beg to differ.

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Ninja Gaiden isn't the norm. Come on...today, gaming is like going to school. You get praised when you get an A or a B on a test. You do a little work and then you're instantly gratified with a little reward or kind words. If gaming didn't have tiny little hurdles you could feel good about overcoming, the industry would be a lot smaller than it is now.

That's the one thing that pissed me off about Chronicles of Riddick. Riddick is close to escaping three times in the game but just when you think you're going to get away with it, you're caught and thrown into a more secure prison wing. All that work you put in towards escaping just got you into more trouble. :x

emnmnme on
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    VeritasVR wrote: »
    emnmnme wrote: »

Ninja Gaiden and a mulititude of other great, difficult games beg to differ.

difficult =/= imposible

And Ninja Gaiden did recieve quite a bit more hit than a game of its caliber normal does because of its difficulty. In subsequent versions of the game, and easy mode was included.

Evander on
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Obviously, the only thing that matters is polygon count.

On a more serious note, this is hard for me to nail down exactly. What is it that Tetris and Metal Gear Solid have in common? Super Mario Galaxy and Resident Evil 4? I guess more than anything, clever game design is what pulls me in.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    Vert1Vert1 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Easy mode is for dogs. DOGS!

Vert1 on
    blood_berry_new.jpg
    Sleep wrote: »
    Vert1 wrote: »
    I'd like to ask everyone here one question. What is a game?

A lower form of sex.
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The flipside of this question, I'll answer as such;

Fucking AI racers stop smashing me off the race track on the final lap so I have no hope in ever catching back up and winning and I have to restart the race again for the tenth time you bunch of bastards dieeeeeeeeeeeee

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    The flipside of this question, I'll answer as such;

Fucking AI racers stop smashing me off the race track on the final lap so I have no hope in ever catching back up and winning and I have to restart the race again for the tenth time you bunch of bastards dieeeeeeeeeeeee

See? A little frustration and Poof, the fun in gaming disappears. Games today just need a flashy opening cinematic and a Win Button / Lose button setup.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I enjoy games when I receive satisfaction from them.

Sometimes that satisfaction comes in the form of solving a puzzle, sometimes in the form of defeating a difficult level or boss, sometimes it comes in the form of feeling immersed in another world, sometimes it comes in the feeling that I've expanded my skills, sometimes it comes in the feeling of discovery when finding new items or developing new techniques, sometimes it comes from winning a competition in multiplayer or against the CPU ai, sometimes it comes in the losing of a match in competition and I learn from my mistakes, sometimes it comes from the sheer relaxation of a calm game, sometimes it comes from the shutting off of my mind to everything but the zen-like state of intense concentration on a difficult or fast or dexterity-requiring game, sometimes it comes from simply clearing my mind from a long or hard day, some times it comes from the feeling of experiencing something new, sometimes it comes from the feeling of learning the fresh new skills or aspects of a game, sometimes it comes from the nostalgia of playing older games that I'm already/still freakin' amazing at or that I just enjoy despite their age, sometimes it comes from the stories or the characters that drive the game, sometimes it comes from the fun of playing with or against friends, sometimes it comes with the competition against other people in general/online/leaderboards/etc to improve my skills/score, etc..

The list goes on.

slash000 on
  • Options
    KVWKVW Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Hot alien lesbian sex has to rank up near the top of things that make a game enjoyable. What? I'm sure Mass Effect has a great story and that alien had a nice personality as well.

KVW on