Options

Booster Gold: The retcon you've never heard of!

• Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Regicid3 wrote: »
    I'm going to pick up the Booster Gold comics, I'd like to see where this goes.

See where it goes? It's already gone there... and that place is Awesometown.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    Regicid3Regicid3 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Well, that's good. I'll probably have issues 1 and 2 next wednesday... he has to order them for me. :(

Regicid3 on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Preview for issue five is up.

Good to see Rip continuing to contribute to the team in that special way only he can.

Seriously, I love the idea of a hero who's able to draw on resources from anywhere in time.

Munch on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited December 2007
    i like the mental image of Rip going to the 1950's to buy some coke

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Munch wrote: »
    Preview for issue five is up.

Good to see Rip continuing to contribute to the team in that special way only he can.

Seriously, I love the idea of a hero who's able to draw on resources from anywhere in time.
    I'm really not liking this thing with Babs.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Yikes, for a second it was like Jim was flirting with Babs. Ew.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited December 2007

I saw it as him knowing it's Barbara and he's trying to get her out of it

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Keith wrote: »

I saw it as him knowing it's Barbara and he's trying to get her out of it

I misinterpreted, "I'd argue that ever since you came on the scene, it's been lightening up," as a come on for a moment.

Because I totally use that line all the time.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I'm really not liking this thing with Babs.

The retconning thing? It's almost certainly just Rip trying to teach Booster a lesson about the ramifications of fucking with the timestream. They wouldn't undo a major storyline like the Killing Joke unless it was in a big event series.

On the subject of Rip getting old Coca-Cola, he should have gone back to 1903 so he could get some of that sodey pop in its sweet, sweet narcotics-laced form.

Munch on
  • Options
    Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Not to mention the fact that Babs is still Oracle w/ a chair post issue #5.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    from the SE comic thread:
    eryu90 wrote: »
    woo chalkboard hints, man i love Booster Gold. does anyone know what some of the writing is referring too. the only one i know is "gog is dead" has to do with JSA.

"Lightning Saga Strikes Twice?" - the JSA/JLA crossover was The Lightning Saga, which brought back Wally and killed Bart (it's rumored that the Legion captured Bart through the speedforce or some shit)

"The Ghost Detectives have all the answers!" - Ralph and Sue Dibny are the ghost detectives

"Who will escape the Book of Destiny?" - the BoD is a big part of the new Brave & the Bold series

"No Ray Palmer = DISASTER" - Countdown/Final Crisis

"No trophy of Stephanie?" - The Spoiler never had a trophy case in the Batcave and now she might be back

"Death of the SUPERMEN" - There's the KC Superman in JSA, Superman Prime, and the regular Superman. One or all will die in Final Crisis?

"Who does Supernova work for?" - relates to the Booster Gold series

"If Vigilante knows the truth, then ____ does NOT" - I can't make out who "doesn't know the truth", but it'll play into the new Vigilante series, probably

"Who controls the Wildebeest Society?" - an old Titans enemy(ies). Probably be featured in the new Titans series

"The Sun Devils will save us all!" - The Sun Devils was an old series, I have no clue what it's about

"Gog is Dead! The Age of Gog is upon us!" - Gog was a villain in The Kingdom, probably has to do with JSA

"Steve is watching!" - I have no clue

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Newsarama wrote:
    Just what I was about to say- pretty sure on the Vigilante, not so much 100% on the League, but it makes sense:-
    http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=128649

It's talking about the new Vigilante series but here's the pertinent bit- "The Vigilante comes across a murder that hits just a little too close to home for him, and when he tries to get even with people responsible he learns an even bigger secret: there is a traitor in the DCU. It appears that a well-known hero has been supplying the underworld with information and weaponry, and it’s up to the Vigilante to find the traitor and stop him—or her—by any means necessary."

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    from the SE comic thread: "If Vigilante knows the truth, then ____ does NOT" - I can't make out who "doesn't know the truth", but it'll play into the new Vigilante series, probably

"The Sun Devils will save us all!" - The Sun Devils was an old series, I have no clue what it's about

The Vigilante thing actually says, "Vigilante knows the traitor, the League does not", and refers to the new Vigilante's knowledge of a superhero traitor's identity, as was stated during some interviews about the new Vigilante series. The traitor's probably J'onn, based off of that Countdown promo image where J'onn's mirroring Judas at the Last Supper.

The Sun Devils was an old Dan Jurgens, out-of-continuity maxi-series. It's the fourth such series mentioned between the 52 chalkboard and this one; the other three being Silverblade, Spanner's Galaxy, and the Sonic Disruptors. They'll probably tie into Final Crisis and all the multiverse shenanigans. The 52 chalkboard also had a note on it saying, "Find the Sun Devils." More info here.

"Steve is watching" probably refers to Steve Trevor, Secretary of Defense and former intelligence officer.

Munch on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Maybe Rip Hunter's a really big fan of Herb Sendek?

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I don't understand how people can honestly think they'll retcon babs.

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    I don't understand how people can honestly think they'll retcon babs.
    It's more I don't like the fact that her being shot was a manipulation of the evil time traveling team or whatever.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    The Vigilante thing actually says, "Vigilante knows the traitor, the League does not", and refers to the new Vigilante's knowledge of a superhero traitor's identity, as was stated during some interviews about the new Vigilante series. The traitor's probably J'onn, based off of that Countdown promo image where J'onn's mirroring Judas at the Last Supper.

I hope it's not J'onn. It wouldn't make any sense (but that wouldn't stop them). Maybe it's Geo-force, since Deathstroke mentioned planting him in the JLA and then nothing happened from that.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

I hope it's not J'onn. It wouldn't make any sense (but that wouldn't stop them). Maybe it's Geo-force, since Deathstroke mentioned planting him in the JLA and then nothing happened from that.

I always figured that part of the Countdown teaser was thrown out after Bedards Outsiders book was dropped. His original plan for the book was for the Outsiders to infiltrate various villainous teams and such, thus placing him next to the Joker (spilling a secret or two to Catwoman, who was also to be on the team) with a dagger in his hand.

Of course...I could be wrong.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    The two greatest DC Ret-Cons that never happened were

1 - Triumph

and

2 - Moon Maiden

Dammit.

Squashua on
  • Options
    valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    woo chalkboard hints, man i love Booster Gold. does anyone know what some of the writing is referring too. the only one i know is "gog is dead" has to do with JSA.

"Lightning Saga Strikes Twice?" - the JSA/JLA crossover was The Lightning Saga, which brought back Wally and killed Bart (it's rumored that the Legion captured Bart through the speedforce or some shit)

"The Ghost Detectives have all the answers!" - Ralph and Sue Dibny are the ghost detectives

"Who will escape the Book of Destiny?" - the BoD is a big part of the new Brave & the Bold series

"No trophy of Stephanie?" - The Spoiler never had a trophy case in the Batcave and now she might be back

"Death of the SUPERMEN" - There's the KC Superman in JSA, Superman Prime, and the regular Superman. One or all will die in Final Crisis?

"If Vigilante knows the truth, then ____ does NOT" - I can't make out who "doesn't know the truth", but it'll play into the new Vigilante series, probably

"Who controls the Wildebeest Society?" - an old Titans enemy(ies). Probably be featured in the new Titans series

"Gog is Dead! The Age of Gog is upon us!" - Gog was a villain in The Kingdom, probably has to do with JSA

I didn't realize the chalkboard hints had any meaning at all. If DC really knew that far ahead of time where they were going with things and planted clues on the board all my lost faith in them will be restored.

valiance on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    valiance wrote: »

I didn't realize the chalkboard hints had any meaning at all. If DC really knew that far ahead of time where they were going with things and planted clues on the board all my lost faith in them will be restored.

If you take a look at all the chalkboard hints, and some of the recent events in the DCU, you'd find that many, if not all, have been spot on.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Man, #5 came out yesterday, and i missed it at the store.....

damn.

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    arcath wrote: »

damn.

Get it, its pure Gold!
    And Blue?

Bucketman on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Bucketman wrote: »
    arcath wrote: »

damn.

Get it, its pure Gold!

bania2eg0.jpg

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Man, this issue could have been so much more.

meh.

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I just came here to say that Rip is full of shit. Time in the DCU is as immutable as death, and death is a revolving door there (so not immutable at all). If time is so set in stone, then none of the Justice League should be able to be killed or replaced because they are "meant" to exist. If Babs is "meant" to be shot, then the self correcting timestream would have prevented the death of that doctor so Kal El would have been found by the Kents. Booster isn't that self correcting mechanism himself because he's working from outside the timestream as third party.

Now why he was being a dick and lying about it, who knows? The only thing stopping Booster from succeeding in this case was editorial edict. Time itself does not decide "If a hero is going to have something bad happen to them, that's fine and meant to happen", compared to "If a villain is going to have something bad to them, well that's interference and we can't have that."

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I just came here to say that Rip is full of shit. Time in the DCU is as immutable as death, and death is a revolving door there (so not immutable at all). If time is so set in stone, then none of the Justice League should be able to be killed or replaced because they are "meant" to exist. If Babs is "meant" to be shot, then the self correcting timestream would have prevented the death of that doctor so Kal El would have been found by the Kents. Booster isn't that self correcting mechanism himself because he's working from outside the timestream as third party.

Booster hasn't "fixed" anything. He's just been the cause of stuff. Everything he's doing has been what originally happened, but we didn't know it

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Now why he was being a dick and lying about it, who knows? The only thing stopping Booster from succeeding in this case was editorial edict. Time itself does not decide "If a hero is going to have something bad happen to them, that's fine and meant to happen", compared to "If a villain is going to have something bad to them, well that's interference and we can't have that."
    That's what the Beetles (Holy crap, after they rescue Ted there'll be four!) think, too.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    übergeekübergeek Sector 2814Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    übergeek wrote: »

Booster hasn't "fixed" anything. He's just been the cause of stuff. Everything he's doing has been what originally happened, but we didn't know it

(Of course, they can't let that happen or most of the Justice League goes poof and decades of continuity go out the window.)

Nope. Evil Supernova and Rex Hunter were the cause. There was a pristine timeline in which Sinestro didn't come to Earth or the doctor didn't make it so there were Kents to raise Superman. If Booster had been part of how things went originally, Rip wouldn't have detected any time disturbances according to his "time is immutable" crap. Booster wasn't causing damage, he was just making repairs after the fact.

The very act of causing the damage through any interference by the villains would then be part of how things should have been and should not have been stopped.

Also, to have Booster repeat that moment over and over should have resulted in multiple Boosters in one span of time trying to stop Joker, or at the very least Babs and Joker should now remember him being there at least one of those times, unless Rip went back to the moment before Booster tried the first time and convinced him not to bother. In any event Rip just let him screw up 5 times in a row which is just as hazardous and irresponsible as just letting Booster have Ted back.

übergeek on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    it's time travel.

roll with the punches.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • Options
    bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I think the idea is that most time is solidified, and thus cannot be changed even by direct interference.

Some time though, like the events from issues 1-4, was left malleable by Mr Mind and the events of 52 and shit.

Blue beetle dying however, is not malleable... or is it? Dun dun duuuuun~

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
  • Options
    SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    bobgorila wrote: »
    I think the idea is that most time is solidified, and thus cannot be changed even by direct interference.

Some time though, like the events from issues 1-4, was left malleable by Mr Mind and the events of 52 and shit.

Blue beetle dying however, is not malleable... or is it? Dun dun duuuuun~

Man, what got me is that the artist unnecessarily aged Jamie Reyes to a 28-year-old hipster who should be hanging out with Snapper Carr and Hourman.

Squashua on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Well, bad news for Booster Gold...

Geoff is leaving the book sometime in 08'
    As usually is the case, with addition comes subtraction, and Johns revealed his time on “Booster Gold” with co-writer Jeff Katz and artists Dan Jurgens and Norm Rapmund would come to an end sometime in 2008. “With other projects coming up and some pretty big storylines growing in ‘Action Comics,’ ‘Green Lantern’ and ‘Justice Society of America,’ I’ll be moving on from ‘Booster Gold’ later this year.”

The next “Booster Gold” arc will feature characters from a subplot in “The Lightning Saga,” but the two stories aren’t substantially connected. “If you read ‘Booster Gold,’ you will see Degaton, Ultra-Humanite and Despero in the next storyline,” said Johns. “They will be in ‘Booster Gold’ for a while.” The villainous time traveling trio was introduced into “Booster Gold” continuity last month in #5.

Jeff Katz will probably stay on as head writer.

(which isn't surprising considering this quote from a few months ago "“I co-wrote the proposal with Jeff Katz and am co-writing for at least the first few issues, but this will really be Jeff's book.")

But hey, we might be getting a new Aquaman book by Johns.

Bad Karma on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    It sucks, but I remember them saying he wasn't going to be on for too long.

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Furu on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    I trust Katz. Reading his interviews and messageboard comments, he seems like a funny guy. So at least that angle will be covered. Hopefully he can weave a decent story. Plus, he was involved with Shoot 'Em Up. So he's cool by me. I don't think Johns would leave Booster in the hands of an untalented writer, especially since he's said he's wanted to make Booster a major player for a long time. I'd love to see Giffen or Simone take a whack at the series later though.

Munch on
  • Options
    BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    Eh

not that unexpected nor disappointing.

However, Johns' Aquaman book?

HOOOOOLLLLY SHIT YES

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • Options
    Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    johns said he'd be using Superman-Prime in a book he wasn't currently writing.

so Aquaman vs SM-P?

Bloods End on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    Bloods End wrote: »
    johns said he'd be using Superman-Prime in a book he wasn't currently writing.

so Aquaman vs SM-P?

He's supposed to do Flash again soon. So given Prime's Flash phobia, it's likely he'll turn up there.

Munch on
  • Options
    BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    or it could be the issue of Countdown he's co-writing with Morrison.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif