Options

ROCK BAND: While My Guitar Gently Weeps (Downstrum Fix in OP)

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Song prices and that nice-looking guitar chart added to the OP. Sorry for the late update, guys.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    SmudgeSmudge Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Definately trade in Bioshock. No multiplayer, and very linear single player without much replay other than two different endings.

Super Paper Mario if done or if you don't like it for sure.

Gears of War depends on if you like playing it coop with friends or not. If not, then not much reason to keep it. Too short.

PGR3? I love that game, but if you sell it, you could pick up PGR4 next time for an upgrade. Also because 4 is out you might not get much for 3 anymore though.

Never played Pinata so I can't comment.

Smudge on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    did anyone tape the streams? is anyone else streaming?

i feel asleep before the singer stream got to the more memorable songs. the last I remember is him apologizing for Welcome Home, then doing well on it. he must have practiced.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Vocals. It's what I want to master first, going to try starting on Hard and see how far I can get. Since I'm the singer for my party band, that's what I need to get most comfortable with first...

I may be a better singer than I thought, but I owned Wanted Dead or Alive at a best buy, so it's not as hard as people may think, as long as you can hold the right pitch and most importantly, you can hit the phrasing correctly.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Also, I will be setting up the drums and won't stop playing until my arms fall off, or if I try the Outlaws and my leg gives out on me.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Ya.. singing on key is something I've always been able to do... had a great time in vocal jazz groups in college but I'm a bass which means I sound like crap as a rock singer :( I think it'll be fun anyway

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Ya.. singing on key is something I've always been able to do... had a great time in vocal jazz groups in college but I'm a bass which means I sound like crap as a rock singer :( I think it'll be fun anyway

Heh, my voice is in the tenor/bass range too. I plan to sing for Rock Band only in falsetto.

I've actually got much better pitch accuracy in my falsetto. D: I think this is because, in order to hear myself singing along with 99% of singers, I have to sing along to music in my car in my falsetto. So I've got a ton of practice.

Captain K on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    some youtube vids are starting to trickle out now.

i found one for Welcome Home

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KyShD6Wyg_o

he sorta sucks, but bad.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited November 2007
    Also, you guys impressed me. New thread started and nobody posted in the old one.

Truly, we here at G&T are kings of kings.

Captain K on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Captain K wrote: »
    Also, you guys impressed me. New thread started and nobody posted in the old one.

Truly, we here at G&T are kings of kings.

Conditioning and fear of looking like a dunce in front of your fellow geeks

FaceballMcDougal on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I'm more impressed by myself, actually--last night some friends and I got totally plastered, and I managed to refrain from drunkenly rambling about how awesome Rock Band is going to be for the entire night!

It's a good thing, because these friends have already heard me expound on this subject at great length.

Captain K on
  • Options
    Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

he sorta sucks, but bad.

The crowd singing the chorus... so awesome

EDIT: Pretty long loading time too

Mr Bubbles on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Mr Bubbles wrote: »

he sorta sucks, but bad.

i know the crowd sings along, but when does it happen in this video?

i didnt even know there WAS a chorus to this song.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited November 2007
    Mr Bubbles wrote: »

he sorta sucks, but bad.

Yeah, loading times are rather impressive.

The crowd singing along when you are doing well is the best positive feedback mechanic ever created.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    The opening menu for the This is Spinal Tap! DVD is fucking brilliant.

I'm getting in the mood for launch.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    After watching the Rock band vs Guitar Hero III video I must admit GHIII's guitar stuff looks significantly more fun to me than RBs.
    But then I was planning on playing the drums in RB anyway.

Accualt on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I don't see the bad thing about loading times.

GH3 had some wacky loading times, too.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    Evil_PigEvil_Pig Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    HelfMyselp wrote: »
    Assuming those DLC packs are live on day one, I have decided how to break my Rock Band virginity.

That would suck all kinds of fucking ass!

They are already chargin 200$ for the game, we could have waited a month or two more to have more songs on it.

I wonder how much they will charge for whole albums or "packs" of songs.

Evil_Pig on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    A_ccualt wrote: »
    After watching the Rock band vs Guitar Hero III video I must admit GHIII's guitar stuff looks significantly more fun to me than RBs.

Yeah, GH3 is certainly all about the face melting difficulty, whereas ROCKBAND gives you more of a fun jam session type of thing.

EDIT: @Evil_Pig - What? Are you insane?

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I was watching that stream last night when I should have been sleeping

I knew I was tired when I couldn't stop laughing at all the people messaging the singer... then in the middle of a song a rather long gamertag sends him a message and the window pops up right over the lyrics coming in from the right and he screws up and decides to ad-lib with "fuck your message!".

FaceballMcDougal on
  • Options
    the Togfatherthe Togfather Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    NotACrook wrote: »
    EDIT: @Evil_Pig - What? Are you insane?

Agreed. Assuming you're talking American dollars it's $170. And the DLC are fully optional, that's what is best about them. They've chosen songs for the disc that should please the widest possible audience, then are releasing DLC that tailor to more specific tastes, and everyone is free to buy as desired. I will not be buying the Punk pack, regardless of how much I love this game, punk is not to my liking. If they had dropped all those DLC songs on the main disc, it just wouldn't look right. Maybe the single songs, which admittedly are pretty good, but even some of them are simply repeats of artists already on the disc. The artist packs definately wouldn't make sense as we'd then have four songs for one artist...which just feels weird and wrong. I love how they're doing DLC, and don't you DARE suggest that we could have 'waited' on the release of rock band...for any reason whatsoever.

the Togfather on
    The night is dark and full of terrors.
    twit feed
  • Options
    Xenocide GeekXenocide Geek Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

i'm sure there will be plenty of songs with difficult guitar stuff.

i have faith in Harmonix.

so, who else is planning on being both lead vocalist and lead guitarist?

i am!

Xenocide Geek on
    i wanted love, i needed love
    most of all, most of all
    someone said true love was dead
    but i'm bound to fall
    bound to fall for you
    oh what can i do
  • Options
    hmxmosshmxmoss Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Evil_Pig wrote: »
    HelfMyselp wrote: »
    Assuming those DLC packs are live on day one, I have decided how to break my Rock Band virginity.

That would suck all kinds of fucking ass!

They are already chargin 200$ for the game, we could have waited a month or two more to have more songs on it.

1. The price is $170, not $200.

2. If you want to wait a month or two before seeing more songs... well, there is a very simple solution. :P

hmxmoss on
    burning.jpg
  • Options
    JoahWJoahW Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Smudge wrote: »
    Wait, you're asking non-drummers to do paradiddles?

Why not? The only thing tough about a paradiddle is knowing that it actually has a name. The pattern is pretty universal. I have never drummed in my life nor do I know anything about it, and I have been tapping out that pattern since I can remember.

The foot timing will for sure be the tough part. I can't even follow the example since I have no clue what a quarter note is, heh. Yeah for no musical training... ever.

Anyway, why aren't the DLC prices in the OP yet? That stuff needs to be up there. Could the op meister add them up please? Thankee!

The paradiddle is 8th notes, so quarter notes would be every other paradiddle hit.

Like this
    RH|X XX X  X XX X  
    LH| X  X XX X  X XX
    RF|X XX X  X XX X
    LF|X X X X X X X X

JoahW on
    Jamada.gif
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Green Grass and High Tides

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I must say, I love that the Harmonix guys decided to let you do overdrive runs while an overdrive is going on, thus extending the length of your overdrive. That is the right term, right? Anyways... It just rocks, because I won't lie -- the blue effect from GH screws me up sometimes when I lose color recognition, so I don't use it as much as I can. Plus, I'm always worried that I'm missing some star power spots. With RB, I can play with abandon.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    so, who else is planning on being both lead vocalist and lead guitarist?

i am!

I've thought about playing Bass and vocals, since i do that half the time playing GH anyway, while the wife plays lead Guitar. Too bad there isn't a mic stand with the game.

Accualt on
  • Options
    MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007

Yeah. Plus, those comparison videos are on Hard. Guitar Hero III's hard is too hard, where Rock Band's looks more manageable for people who are used to the Guitar Hero I/II difficulty curve.

The stream last night proved that Harmonix is still perfectly capable of making difficult and fun note charts. I know I'll have trouble with at least a few of those songs on Expert, and I blew through Guitar Hero III's expert (sans Raining Blood) right away.

Monoxide on
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I really hope someone streams the game today. The two earlier in the thread didn't work, and I'm dying to watch this game.

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Rivulent wrote: »
    The hardest part is that I need to decide very soon whether to trade in games for the extra credit at an EB, or use some coupon at a CC/BB/Kmart/Target to get some money off the game. I guess I'll be trading in games I haven't been playing..

Gears of War
    Bioshock
    Super Paper Mario
    Viva Pinata
    PGR3
    And maybe a few more...

Do you know of any print off coupons that I could use at a Best Buy? That could be really helpful.

Nimble Cat on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    JoahW wrote: »
    Smudge wrote: »
    Wait, you're asking non-drummers to do paradiddles?

Why not? The only thing tough about a paradiddle is knowing that it actually has a name. The pattern is pretty universal. I have never drummed in my life nor do I know anything about it, and I have been tapping out that pattern since I can remember.

The foot timing will for sure be the tough part. I can't even follow the example since I have no clue what a quarter note is, heh. Yeah for no musical training... ever.

Anyway, why aren't the DLC prices in the OP yet? That stuff needs to be up there. Could the op meister add them up please? Thankee!

The paradiddle is 8th notes, so quarter notes would be every other paradiddle hit.

Like this
    RH|X XX X  X XX X  
    LH| X  X XX X  X XX
    RF|X XX X  X XX X
    LF|X X X X X X X X

Ah, Thankee.

And yes, as a non-drummer, trying to do that with my hands and both feet would make my head explode. Kinda like starting GH without having ever played on Hard setting.

I will probably start drums on Medium, and will probably suck at it for awhile until I get my leg to stop tapping out the main beat.

That is what the Bass Guitarist is for though, the Cleric of the group.

"RES!!!"

Smudge on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, on the comparisons between GHIII and Rock Band, difficult doesn't always equate to fun. If it's difficult for the sake of making you fail, I don't want to know, that's just frustrating as hell. It sounds like GHIII can just be bloody hard at times, which I don't always see measured with "but was so much fun" or something like that. That turns me off.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Athenor wrote: »
    I really hope someone streams the game today. The two earlier in the thread didn't work, and I'm dying to watch this game.

they were working last night. i'm sorta hoping someone streams again today, or at least archives their gameplay for us to watch.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited November 2007
    Monoxide wrote: »

Yeah. Plus, those comparison videos are on Hard. Guitar Hero III's hard is too hard, where Rock Band's looks more manageable for people who are used to the Guitar Hero I/II difficulty curve.

The stream last night proved that Harmonix is still perfectly capable of making difficult and fun note charts. I know I'll have trouble with at least a few of those songs on Expert, and I blew through Guitar Hero III's expert (sans Raining Blood) right away.

Also, don't forget the pathetically forgiving hammer-on and pull-off system in guitar hero 3. Hard looks freaking IMPOSSIBLE to me in many parts, but I can get through most of the silly looking solobits by strumming like mad and hitting random buttons. The game is VERY forgiving. In HO PO chains you can get the buttons OUT OF ORDER and still get credit if you do it fast enough.

Basically, if there is a G-Y hammer on, and you quickly do G-R-Y, you will get credit. At least that is how it seems to work for me in GH3. It just wants you to hit that Y in that window. In GH2, once that O was hit, the hammer on would be missed.

Smudge on
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    darleysam wrote: »
    Yeah, on the comparisons between GHIII and Rock Band, difficult doesn't always equate to fun. If it's difficult for the sake of making you fail, I don't want to know, that's just frustrating as hell. It sounds like GHIII can just be bloody hard at times, which I don't always see measured with "but was so much fun" or something like that. That turns me off.

Seeing as I can only 3-4 star songs on hard in GH3, if its easier, I'm certainly not going to complain.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    ruforufo Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Please wait while we connect you to a Newegg representative.
    Thank you for contacting Newegg. My name is Lan. How may I assist you today?
    Rufo: Hi, I'm asking about item number N82E16874105581 (the Rock Band Bundle edition) - if I pre-order that item, when will you ship it out?
    Lan: Let me take a look into that...one moment please.
    Lan: If you place the pre-order, it will stay as a pre-order until we have the item in stock to ship out. Unfortunately, we would not have a guaranteed date of when the item would be back in stock. The only way to know is once it is in stock.
    Rufo: OK, thanks for your help.

*sigh*... Anyone know how Newegg did on the pre-orders of, say, Halo 3? Did they ship on time for release day, or not so much? It's looking like I'm going to have a 9am appointment on Tuesday, and I'm not sure where else I can pre-order from, argh...

rufo on
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    rufo wrote: »
    Rufo: Hi, I'm asking about item number N82E16874105581 (the Rock Band Bundle edition) - if I pre-order that item, when will you ship it out?
    Lan: If you place the pre-order, it will stay as a pre-order until we have the item in stock to ship out. Unfortunately, we would not have a guaranteed date of when the item would be back in stock. The only way to know is once it is in stock.

*sigh*... Anyone know how Newegg did on the pre-orders of, say, Halo 3? Did they ship on time for release day, or not so much? It's looking like I'm going to have a 9am appointment on Tuesday, and I'm not sure where else I can pre-order from, argh...

The game comes out in 4 days and you haven't preordered it yet? You may be screwed unless you want to hit up a midnight sale somewhere.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    Nite-ManNite-Man Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    LockeCole wrote: »

The game comes out in 4 days and you haven't preordered it yet? You may be screwed unless you want to hit up a midnight sale somewhere.

I haven't preordered either. I figured I'd just hit Wal-Mart at midnight.

Nite-Man on
    The first significant thing living here taught me is conformity costs money, and everybody pays.
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    LockeCole wrote: »

Actually, it's less than that:
    http://images.bestbuy.com/BestBuy_US/en_US/images/abn/2007/global/ghp/11-11-07_GHP/rockbandcountdown.swf

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Also, I don't really do pre-orders, but I don't think it's going to be that bad. I'm hitting up a shopping center Tuesday morning, if for some reason I can't get it from the four stores there, I'll retreat to Guitar Center.

NotASenator on
This discussion has been closed.