Options

ROCK BAND: While My Guitar Gently Weeps (Downstrum Fix in OP)

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    NotACrook wrote: »
    Also, I don't really do pre-orders, but I don't think it's going to be that bad. I'm hitting up a shopping center Tuesday morning, if for some reason I can't get it from the four stores there, I'll retreat to Guitar Center.

Rock Band is going to be a combination of three factors:

1) The price, which is steep and will scare off casual users (although they might buy the game individually)

2) The demand, which is skyrocketing the more people here about it,

3) the supply, which is either fairly low, or companies didn't order many of it.

Edit: In retrospect, this is incredibly obvious. I can't believe I just typed a basic economics lesson. *facepalm*

Athenor on
    He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Athenor wrote: »
    Also, I don't really do pre-orders, but I don't think it's going to be that bad. I'm hitting up a shopping center Tuesday morning, if for some reason I can't get it from the four stores there, I'll retreat to Guitar Center.

Rock Band is going to be a combination of three factors:

1) The price, which is steep and will scare off casual users (although they might buy the game individually)

2) The demand, which is skyrocketing the more people here about it,

3) the supply, which is either fairly low, or companies didn't order many of it.

My impression is that supply is going to be kind of a killer right away. The price is kinda high for casual gamers, but rock band has been getting quite a lot of press lately. If you haven't preordered it I would recommend going to a midnight sale... I don't think you will have too much trouble that way, but after the initial release it may be awhile before some stores get more in stock.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I don't think Rock Band will be terribly difficult to get a hold of until closer to Christmas. By that time, though, so many people will have played it at their friends' house that the demand for it will just grow and grow.

Accualt on
  • Options
    Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Nite-Man wrote: »
    LockeCole wrote: »
    rufo wrote: »
    Please wait while we connect you to a Newegg representative.
    Thank you for contacting Newegg. My name is Lan. How may I assist you today?
    Rufo: Hi, I'm asking about item number N82E16874105581 (the Rock Band Bundle edition) - if I pre-order that item, when will you ship it out?
    Lan: Let me take a look into that...one moment please.
    Lan: If you place the pre-order, it will stay as a pre-order until we have the item in stock to ship out. Unfortunately, we would not have a guaranteed date of when the item would be back in stock. The only way to know is once it is in stock.
    Rufo: OK, thanks for your help.

*sigh*... Anyone know how Newegg did on the pre-orders of, say, Halo 3? Did they ship on time for release day, or not so much? It's looking like I'm going to have a 9am appointment on Tuesday, and I'm not sure where else I can pre-order from, argh...

The game comes out in 4 days and you haven't preordered it yet? You may be screwed unless you want to hit up a midnight sale somewhere.

I haven't preordered either. I figured I'd just hit Wal-Mart at midnight.

I'm heading to my Best Buy at opening. They're not having a midnight launch, so I should be fine. At least, that's what the creepy girl that worked there told me. She followed me around the whole time I was there and completely ignored my friend. She made some joke about small children and how she didn't have any; I told her it wasn't funny, implying that I had children. That shut her up.

Nimble Cat on
  • Options
    ruforufo Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The game comes out in 4 days and you haven't preordered it yet? You may be screwed unless you want to hit up a midnight sale somewhere.
    Hi, I'm sorry, do you work for GameStop? :P

I think I mentioned it in the last thread; I know I should have pre-ordered earlier, but I wasn't sure I was going to have the money. I finally got that sorted out on Tuesday, but the local GS said "we're out" at that point, so I'm trying to figure something else out. I don't mind hitting up someplace on Tuesday morning, except that it looks like I might have a critical meeting then that may not get done until noon. (After that, I'm out free for the holiday, but I think every place will be sold out by then)

Most of the Wal-marts in the area are open 24/7, are all Wal-marts getting shipments or is it just selected ones?

Best Buy are a bunch of pig fuckers and don't do anything at midnight anywhere in New York but NYC, so they're pretty much out.

I might try stopping by Toys-R-Us and seeing what their deal is, but if it's just "stop by in the mornin'" that probably won't work for me.

I don't even really mind getting it, say, on Wednesday... I just kind of want to get it before Turkey Day.

rufo on
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I've got a pre-order set at the local Gamestop. I'm gonna check in at my 8:30 class and go straight there; I don't care how long I have to wait. Also, that reminds me that I have to clean up my room and make some space for the drums and guitar.

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Wow, I've already got a potential buyer for my PS2 Guitar Hero bundle on Craigslist. Awesome.

I wonder how many of the achievements I can get in 360 GH2 in the few days left before Rock Band.

Captain K on
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    A_ccualt wrote: »
    so, who else is planning on being both lead vocalist and lead guitarist?

i am!

I've thought about playing Bass and vocals, since i do that half the time playing GH anyway, while the wife plays lead Guitar. Too bad there isn't a mic stand with the game.
    I think Moss posted here in the previous thread an image of an adapter that works with the 360 headset.

Of course, if you don't have or won't get the 360 version, then that hardly matters.

It's the only way I'm going to be able to enjoy the BWT (short of a patch or proper sequel).

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    darleysam wrote: »
    Yeah, on the comparisons between GHIII and Rock Band, difficult doesn't always equate to fun. If it's difficult for the sake of making you fail, I don't want to know, that's just frustrating as hell. It sounds like GHIII can just be bloody hard at times, which I don't always see measured with "but was so much fun" or something like that. That turns me off.

Seeing as I can only 3-4 star songs on hard in GH3, if its easier, I'm certainly not going to complain.

Yeah, that too. While I enjoy playing Guitar Hero, I'm not exactly any good at it. This is why I prefer songs that are fun to play, not necessarily 'hard'. And I guess my point is.. well, looking at the apparent difference between GH3 and Rock Band, what's the point? If You're just throwing in extra button presses or awkward lines to try and confuse the player, why's that fun? Make it logical and consistent, don't try and force the complexity.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    A_ccualt wrote: »
    so, who else is planning on being both lead vocalist and lead guitarist?

i am!

I've thought about playing Bass and vocals, since i do that half the time playing GH anyway, while the wife plays lead Guitar. Too bad there isn't a mic stand with the game.
    I think Moss posted here in the previous thread an image of an adapter that works with the 360 headset.

Of course, if you don't have or won't get the 360 version, then that hardly matters.

It's the only way I'm going to be able to enjoy the BWT (short of a patch or proper sequel).

Oh awesome, I didn't even think about that. The GHIII guitars have a built in spot for the 360 mic so if it works that would be great...other than I'd feel like I'm part rocker, part boy band singer.

Accualt on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I think we kind of exist in a vacuum here, as far as skill at Guitar Hero--the average player out there is on Medium and isn't ever going to get any higher than Hard. I went to a "Guitar Hero night" at a bar maybe 4 or 5 times, and they averaged about 15 players. Most of them were on Medium, a couple were on Easy, a couple were on Hard, and I was the only person to play Expert.

Most people don't really care what the note charts look like on Expert, or even on Hard, because they'll never even see them. :P

I don't say this to discount our opinions--we're going to have them, and we're going to voice them. My point is that to judge the note charts for the game, you have to look at every difficulty and make an overall judgement, because the game can't just be about Expert difficulty. In other words, if that "GH3 vs. RB difficulty comparison" video was really showing Hard difficulty for both games, then I think Harmonix is probably doing a much better job catering to all skill levels... which is really what's important, if we want lots of people to be playing Rock Band.

Captain K on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    You know, every time I go to get excited about Rock Band, I then make myself feel bad by being reminded where I live.

But I suppose it's for the 'greater good' that it's not being released everywhere at once, as there'd be about 5 boxes per region. They'd better have huge supplies and low low prices when it hits Europe, by way of compensation.

Please?

edit: My own situation regarding difficulty is an awkward one. When I first got GH1, I thought I'd best play it safe and go through on Easy. It was, as expected, piss easy. Stepped it up to medium, and was "Whoah, fourth button..", but coped. I've not played in a while, but with a bit of practice I can get through most on Hard, and wouldn't feel too bad about playing on Expert. The problem is though, it just feels weak playing on any difficulty other than Expert, because it's blatantly obvious that I'm not getting to 'play' all the notes. I fully expect to spend hours practicing on Rock Band and working up to a good level of skill, rather than just playing it until I move on to something else.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    rufo wrote: »
    Hi, I'm sorry, do you work for GameStop? :P

I think I mentioned it in the last thread; I know I should have pre-ordered earlier, but I wasn't sure I was going to have the money. I finally got that sorted out on Tuesday, but the local GS said "we're out" at that point, so I'm trying to figure something else out. I don't mind hitting up someplace on Tuesday morning, except that it looks like I might have a critical meeting then that may not get done until noon. (After that, I'm out free for the holiday, but I think every place will be sold out by then)

Most of the Wal-marts in the area are open 24/7, are all Wal-marts getting shipments or is it just selected ones?

Best Buy are a bunch of pig fuckers and don't do anything at midnight anywhere in New York but NYC, so they're pretty much out.

I might try stopping by Toys-R-Us and seeing what their deal is, but if it's just "stop by in the mornin'" that probably won't work for me.

I don't even really mind getting it, say, on Wednesday... I just kind of want to get it before Turkey Day.

I hates gamestop with a burning passion. :P

But big releases lately seem to only ship enough to cover preorders and the first day or two of sales at the big retailers, so finding somewhere to preorder from is a good idea if you want to be playing day one. I do recommend finding a company that is NOT ebstop to preorder from though.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Captain K wrote: »
    I think we kind of exist in a vacuum here, as far as skill at Guitar Hero--the average player out there is on Medium and isn't ever going to get any higher than Hard. I went to a "Guitar Hero night" at a bar maybe 4 or 5 times, and they averaged about 15 players. Most of them were on Medium, a couple were on Easy, a couple were on Hard, and I was the only person to play Expert.

Most people don't really care what the note charts look like on Expert, or even on Hard, because they'll never even see them. :P

I don't say this to discount our opinions--we're going to have them, and we're going to voice them. My point is that to judge the note charts for the game, you have to look at every difficulty and make an overall judgement, because the game can't just be about Expert difficulty. In other words, if that "GH3 vs. RB difficulty comparison" video was really showing Hard difficulty for both games, then I think Harmonix is probably doing a much better job catering to all skill levels... which is really what's important, if we want lots of people to be playing Rock Band.

This is actually a good point... almost everyone I know on these boards can kick my ass six ways to sunday in GH (and most other videogames for that matter) but I actually do pretty good against most of the people I see playing the game in public places.

LockeCole on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Oh I suck at GH. I never even played it until last week. I was so interested in Rock Band that the wife and I decided to get GHIII first to see if we'd actually enjoy RB. She liked GHIII so much that she went and bought GHII and a second guitar for us to run co-op with.

We suck at it. She's better than I am and we are only playing on Medium. We will at least try Hard once we've finished everything on Medium but we are both terrified of the orange button.

Still the side-by-side RB vs GHIII video made the notes themselves look more fun, to me, on GHIII. Not because they looked hard but because it felt like they better matched up to the music. My wife and I both enjoy GHIII more than GHII as well...GHIII is faster but more forgiving. III just feels more realistic to us than II. I'm sure the lack of cover bands in II compared to II is partly clouding our judgment, though.

Accualt on
  • Options
    YardGnomeYardGnome Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    We need a Tenacious D DLC pack.

And a Pink Floyd album.

But mainly the Pink Floyd album.

YardGnome on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I'd love to play "Money", but the song might drag on a bit for vocals/bass. The guitar solo is sick, though.

Captain K on
  • Options
    YardGnomeYardGnome Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'd love to play "Money", but the song might drag on a bit for vocals/bass. The guitar solo is sick, though.
    I am giving you a huge high five right now. I don't know about the vocals, though. No one gives a shit about bass. ;-)

YardGnome on
  • Options
    OmeksOmeks Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I want some Rage Against the Machine. Guerrilla Radio, Wake Up, and Sleep Now in the Fire please!

Also: Red Hot Chili Peppers, Audioslave, Stone Temple Pilots, and Soundgarden.

I will find this on Tuesday morning. I don't care what any of you guys say. I'll be rocking out by noon.

Omeks on
    Online Info (Click Spoiler for More):
    |Xbox Live Tag: Omeks
    |PSN Tag: Omeks_R7
    |Rock Band: Profile|DLC Collection
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Dire Straits plz. Also, Queen.

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    Spanky The DolphinSpanky The Dolphin Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Some extra Blue Öyster Cult certainly couldn't hurt.

Spanky The Dolphin on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Wow, I've already got a potential buyer for my PS2 Guitar Hero bundle on Craigslist. Awesome.

I wonder how many of the achievements I can get in 360 GH2 in the few days left before Rock Band.

i assume you're gonna box up GH3 and never play it again once RB comes out? :-P

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Xenocide GeekXenocide Geek Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    YardGnome wrote: »
    I am giving you a huge high five right now. I don't know about the vocals, though. No one gives a shit about bass. ;-)

you know

we have feelings too

some people do care about the bass, okay. WE'RE AN IMPORTANT INSTRUMENT.

Xenocide Geek on
    i wanted love, i needed love
    most of all, most of all
    someone said true love was dead
    but i'm bound to fall
    bound to fall for you
    oh what can i do
  • Options
    HelfMyselpHelfMyselp Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    mms://stream.vg/waffle

It's baaaaaaaaaack...

HelfMyselp on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Why no wireless Guitar for the 360?

shryke on
  • Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Som eguys currently have a live stream going

http://community.rockband.com/vbforum/showthread.php?t=7865&page=2

EDIT: TOO SLOWWWW!

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    NotASenatorNotASenator Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Medium doesn't present a challenge anymore, so I moved onto Hard, and on GH3, that is destroying me, because the challenge level of some of the solos and fast sections is really high. Of course, clearing it is only a small part of it, I don't want to mess up, so I keep at it, and it normally frustrates me, and then I stop playing for a while.

On the other hand, I've just loved the hell out of the ROCK BAND drums, so I'll just be playing that to enjoy it, I think.

NotASenator on
  • Options
    Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    YardGnome wrote: »

you know

we have feelings too

some people do care about the bass, okay. WE'RE AN IMPORTANT INSTRUMENT.

:lol:

Mr Bubbles on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Oh that's a pretty cool stream.

Edit: he missed the first note of the killers song. GG

NotASenator on
  • Options
    FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Finally played the demo for about 15 minutes at a newer BB in an uppity area. I love everything about it except the screen they had it on could not have been worse.

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I get the distinct feeling this gentleman on vocals has never heard this song before

Mr Bubbles on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Mr Bubbles wrote: »
    I get the distinct feeling this gentleman on vocals has never heard this song before

He nailed it while playing guitar at the same time, what gives you that feeling?

NotASenator on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I'm watching that stream right now. I take it he's playing the guitar on expert, and if so, then the difficulty looks just fine. Looks almost comparable to Guitar Hero III's version, really.

They're doing Are You Gonna Be My Girl now.

Omeks on
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Mr Bubbles wrote: »

He nailed it while playing guitar at the same time, what gives you that feeling?

Oh really, hes doing both? Well, shut my mouth then

Mr Bubbles on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Dire Straits plz. Also, Queen.

My dad would probably join in if it had some Straits.

Personally, I'm still in for some older Green Day, who I mention every time I talk about bands I'd love to see in this.
    And Just or There There by Radiohead.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    From what I see, I'm quite happy with the difficulty on Guitar, as I'm more of a Hard player then an Expert player anyways. I want to use all 5 frets, but Expert kicks my ass on the later songs. Hard lets me feel awesome.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I know he's doing both, and it takes some guts to do that on the internet.

...but he sounded really funny during Jet.

The guy is getting a crazy amount of friend requests.

Omeks on
    Omeks.png
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    What song is this? I missed it.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Also it seems Male vocalist characters sing female vocal songs too....

Edit
    eelektrik wrote: »
    What song is this? I missed it.

Maps by The Yeah Yeah Yeahs

Mr Bubbles on
  • Options
    GimeCGimeC Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So, I was stupid and waited til the last minute to see about acquiring this for the 360. Amazon's sold out and every gamestop and EB is preordered out near me. They're all not going to be getting more until after Christmas. Anyone have an amazing idea/little known website that's still selling them? I'd be your best friend forever. Really! <3

For now, I'm ebay stalking. I've kicked myself about seven times now. Ow. Eight.

GimeC on
This discussion has been closed.