Options

What features should *every* video game have?

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Narian wrote: »
    I'm looking at you FFXII, but I'll let it slide since you were awesome for the rest of the game.

They didn't wear armor in FFXII, did they? They only equipped weapons, and the weapons would change depending what you got. So at least it did that part correctly.

Frankly, today's RPGs need more clothing period. I still find it incredibly retarded how they'll go to a freezing climate and they still wear the same outfits. At least in FFVII, Tifa and Yuffie complained about the cold, but in FFX-2 Rikku doesn't make a single comment despite wearing a shoestring bikinni.

Seriously, I would actually enjoy having to buy new clothes in the item store to adapt to whatever climate I was wandering into.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    SunshineLollypopsRainbowsSunshineLollypopsRainbows __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm looking at you FFXII, but I'll let it slide since you were awesome for the rest of the game.

They didn't wear armor in FFXII, did they? They only equipped weapons, and the weapons would change depending what you got. So at least it did that part correctly.

Frankly, today's RPGs need more clothing period. I still find it incredibly retarded how they'll go to a freezing climate and they still wear the same outfits. At least in FFVII, Tifa and Yuffie complained about the cold, but in FFX-2 Rikku doesn't make a single comment despite wearing a shoestring bikinni.

Seriously, I would actually enjoy having to buy new clothes in the item store to adapt to whatever climate I was wandering into.

No, in FFXII they wore armor.

SunshineLollypopsRainbows on
    Australia is totally shafted for each and every entertainment release ever.

But at least we're not fatasses.
  • Options
    LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Mantling. I don't care if I'm playing an 80s style platformer or a modern first person shooter, falling to my death because my character is too retarded to grab onto a ledge is not acceptable. Ever.

Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I wouldn't, but it would be cool to have you character automatically change clothes depending on the environment.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Yeah the weapons/shield/offhands changed and they all had different models, and they all looked good.

But it just sucks that when Vaan is pimped out in Genji Gear or Grand Armor that he still looks the same as he did when I started the game.

Not a big gripe that turned me off the game, but just something that I noticed about FFXII that I wished could have been done.

EDIT: Also, more RPGs need a Gambit system. Seriously.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Options
    LoathingLoathing Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Every time I see FFXII on my shelf, it makes me want to die in a hole for actually spending money on it.

Loathing on
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Lord Yod wrote: »
    Obviously not all features apply to all games - multiplayer-only shit won't be necessary for Elder Scrolls games.

Discuss things that are applicable to their genre - RPG games need X, FPS games need Y, etc.

Can someone explain how the Halo 2/3 matchmaking works? Someone suggested using Halo 3's online setup, but since it has no dedicated servers I'm suspicious.
    Essentially, instead of having dedicated servers, they just make it so that if the host quits, it switches to someone else, so the game doesn't stop there. It's just a small delay.

While that sounds better than a standard peer-to-peer setup (and thankfully CoD4 is implementing it with the next patch), how is it better than simply having dedicated servers in the first place?

The point of dedicated servers is to remove the host's advantage due to lag, after all.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Decent writing.
    And good voice acting. It's totally worth the cost, devs.

SithDrummer on
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    A solution(that they are already doing) for the 'save anywhere' thing is to have the temp saves like the GBA Final Fantasy's.
    For those of you unfamiliar, you can save whenever you feel like, but if you do you have to turn off the game. And when you restart you're back at the same spot, but that save is gone. Then there are the real save points which are kept forever.

Something I'd like to see RPGs adopt is the talking system of Mario Galaxy. Where when you run close to someone their word balloon pops up without having to push any buttons. It's really really simple, but I absolutely love it.

I never thought of that before, but that would be an awesome system, actually.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    SueveSueve Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Everygame, no matter the setting, should have this one song in it:

Damn it Feels Good to Be a Gangsta - Ghetto Boyz

If a game doesn't make you feel like a Gangsta, then it shouldn't exist.

Im kiding.

Sueve on
  • Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Litany wrote: »
    Houk wrote: »
    If it's got cutscenes, every scene should be pausable and skippable.

Just this. Other things are subjective to the game in question, but at no point should I have to choose between soiling myself and seeing the end of Snake Eater.

..I mean...playing a game. Yeah.

Soil yourself AND watch the end of Snake Eater. Two for one.

Okay, how about this one:

Locked doors when I have about fifty lb of explosives on my person.

Greeper on
  • Options
    SueveSueve Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Everygame, no matter the setting, should have this one song in it:

Damn it Feels Good to Be a Gangsta - Ghetto Boyz

If a game doesn't make you feel like a Gangsta, then it shouldn't exist.

Im kiding.

Sueve on
  • Options
    PataPata Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Decent writing.
    And good voice acting. It's totally worth the cost, devs.

If you're not going to have good voice acting(due to budget, time, etc) then don't have any voice acting at all.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    We fucking know, Sueve.

• Options
    edited November 2007

Action RPGs, where you're controlling one player at a time, would be perfect for a gambit system.

After the glory of FFXII, for example, KH2's AI felt really limited and unpredictable.

Pata on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Lork wrote: »
    Mantling. I don't care if I'm playing an 80s style platformer or a modern first person shooter, falling to my death because my character is too retarded to grab onto a ledge is not acceptable. Ever.

Seriously. I shouldn't have to always stack crates to reach something 3 feet off the ground.

Also, I'll add in Jagged Alliance's ability to individually mute the voice acting of characters if you find any of them particularly annoying but the rest fine.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    slacktronslacktron Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Let's talk control:

You should be able to re-map keys or controller buttons to any configuration you prefer.
    You should be able to reverse the free look up/down (vertical axis).
    You should be able to change mouse/joystick motion speed.

And you should have the option to use any controller the console natively supports.

EDIT: and you should not have to use that sixaxis tilt crap

slacktron on
    slacktron_zombie_fighter_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Pata wrote: »

Action RPGs, where you're controlling one player at a time, would be perfect for a gambit system.

After the glory of FFXII, for example, KH2's AI felt really limited and unpredictable.

There's a simple explanation for that.
    KH2 was not a good game.

• Options
    Muramasa18Muramasa18 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Loathing wrote: »
    Another RPG faux-pas: Visible Weapons and Armor.

If I obtained some rare armor woven a thousand times over from the scales of legendary dragon gods, and my character is still wearing the shitty set of rags he started out with in the beginning, then what's the damn point?

I'm looking at you, Eternal Sonata.

I didn't mind the fact that the armor didn't change when you got a new type of it - it keeps the characters look. What did kind of irk me was that when lets say Polka got a new umbrella - a black one for example - she was still using the same fucking one she had at the start of the game. At least have different looks for the new weapons you get =/

First game that came to mind when I thought of this was Final Fantasy 9 and 10. You could upgrade your armor, but the characters always looked the same. When you got a new weapon, even if you were upgrading from Longsword to Longsword +1 the new one looked different.

Actually the characters in FF10 do look slightly different with different armor, but you have to look closely.

Muramasa18 on
  • Options
    ChenjesuChenjesu Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    There is no excuse for every game not having a "save anywhere" feature. None. You want the "suspense" and "difficulty" of a checkpoint system? Then you can make it a 'suspend' save system where loading the saved game deletes the save, but you DON'T FUCKING MAKE ME PLAY 2+ HOURS BETWEEN SAVE POINTS.

Chenjesu on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

KH2 was not a good game.

This post is horribly wrong.

Pata on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Loathing wrote: »

Every time I see FFXII on my shelf, it makes me want to die in a hole for actually spending money on it.

Another thing today's RPGs need: A complete script.

Okay, you managed to fill up the gameplay and levels after Matsuno took a hike early, great. Too bad you forgot to include the remaining 3/4 of the actual script. Kind of evident if, say, the main fucking villain only got ten minutes worth of scenes, total.

• Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Since we've had all the sensible, priority ones I'd have suggested, I'll go for the ability to jump.

I know it's odd and petty, but after playing the likes of The Witcher and coming across tiny picket fences that my strapping protagonist can't just vault over, it makes me wish every game let me play a goddamn bunny. Invisible barriers are even worse, but whyyyy can't I just hop that wall and cut my travel time in two?

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Edcrab wrote: »
    Since we've had all the sensible, priority ones I'd have suggested, I'll go for the ability to jump.

I know it's odd and petty, but after playing the likes of The Witcher and coming across tiny picket fences that my strapping protagonist can't just vault over, it makes me wish every game let me play a goddamn bunny. Invisible barriers are even worse, but whyyyy can't I just hop that wall and cut my travel time in two?

I swear, you know those tiny fences around the road in Morrowind?

I must have spent ten minutes just JUMPING OVER THEM back and forth in pure glee.

Because in a lot of games, those would be the petty barriers that prevent you from going off into untamed territory.

Greeper on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

KH2 was not a good game.

• Options
    edited November 2007

KH2 was not a good game.

Glad to see you agree. ;)

Pata on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

KH2 was not a good game.

Glad to see you agree. ;)

No, it's a double negative.
    KH2 still sucked.

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    re: cutscenes.

Banjo Tooie on the n64 almost did this perfectly.

You could skip cutscenes as long as you had seen them watched at least once before. Didn't have to be once on the same game file, just once on the cartridge.

And you could replay them endlessly.

If they removed the "watch it once" mechanic, it would have been perfect.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Xenosaga had the ability to pause and skip cutscenes, but wouldn't let you replay them. Which was a real shame, since a few of them were the only good things about the game.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Time for something a little different. Note that I do not suggest that a game's STORY should have any of the things I suggest, merely that they should be non-canon extras.

First, telekinesis. I can live without being able to set people on fire with my mind, but god dammit, I should be able to pick shit up and chuck it at people with my mind. Bonus points if the game breaks things down more and more into destructable/pickupable objects. My ideal game is one where every single bit of the game can potentially be pulled off and used as a weapon, shield, surfboard, etc.

Second, zombie-mode. Just replace the enemies with swarms of the undead, and we're golden. Drop down the AI, and so on.

Third, forge/keys-to-the-city style mode. Lemme make myself invulnerable, spawn the best weapon in the game, and go on a fucking rampage, then position the corpses very erotically. And then spawn a tank/jet/epic mount/camel with a cannon on its hump and just go to town.

If every game had these(every single player game, of course, as this stuff would COMPLETELY break MMOs), I would be eternally happy.

yalborap on
  • Options
    UndefinedMonkeyUndefinedMonkey Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    This is more about RPGs than games in general. I think more RPGs should have "themed" dungeons. You know... maybe one of them is set in a cave with lava, and another takes place in some kind of desert ruins, and maybe there could be some kind of ancient temple or something. And then maybe they could throw in some kind of technological lair to shake things up a little bit.

*cough*

Seriously, though, I think that game interfaces need to be streamlined pretty seriously. Mario Galaxy has the right idea with dialog. If it's a trivial, "I LIKE PANTS THEY ARE COMFY AND EASY TO WEAR" kind of thing, just pop it up when the player gets near enough. I am a busy man, and I have better things to do than walk up to each individual NPC and mash A so I can hear them tell me how old their grandpa is.

In fact, I've noticed that I really don't have a lot of patience for games any more. It's probably a side-effect from becoming a crotchety old person, but I'm really getting tired of all the wasted, dead time in games (especially JRPGs.) I don't have all of summer vacation to sit in front of this game. I have an hour or two in the evening, and I want to get things done. Any effort to streamline so I spend less time grappling with the game's UI and more time actually... you know... playing is a welcome one. This includes (but is not limited to):
    - the aforementioned SMG dialog thing
    - Persona 3's lightning-fast turn-based combat system, which can be further sped up with a fast forward button
    - FFXII's ability to fight baddies on the overmap instead of transitioning to ugly generic arenas
    - Ratchet & Clank's "item magnet" system, so you don't have to walk over each individual generic small collectable item to pick it up. Luckily, it seems like a lot of game developers already do this one
    - Oblivion's fast travel system. Yeah, I know, getting there is half the adventure. Exploration for the sake of exploration is one of the things that I dearly love about the Elder Scrolls series, but sometimes you just want to get there and be done with it.

UndefinedMonkey on
    This space intentionally left blank.
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    You should always have the ability to take off parts of the HUD.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Chenjesu wrote: »
    There is no excuse for every game not having a "save anywhere" feature. None. You want the "suspense" and "difficulty" of a checkpoint system? Then you can make it a 'suspend' save system where loading the saved game deletes the save, but you DON'T FUCKING MAKE ME PLAY 2+ HOURS BETWEEN SAVE POINTS.
    Yes, because it's either save anywhere or only save every two hours, right? :roll:

Again, the save anywhere system is good for some games, but other games benefit from having predefined save points. If you don't like this concept, that's okay, but that doesn't mean it isn't a good system for certain games. Frankly, I like save points. With save-anywhere systems, I find myself constantly saving - as in, every minute or two I compulsively hit F5 so I don't have to play through the section again. It sucks all the fun out of the game. With a save-point system, I can sit back and actually enjoy the experience of playing through the game without worrying about saving my game all the time. If I die and have to play through a section again, so what? I usually can get it on a second try, and I have NEVER seen a game that makes you wait two+ hours between save points as you claim. In the very least, they would be the exception to the rule.

So yeah, the savepoint system isn't for everyone... but being able to save whenever you want isn't all it's cracked up to be for everyone.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    titmouse wrote: »
    You should always have the ability to take off parts of the HUD.

And also move them around, change color/transparency, and all sorts of other wonderful things.

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    - FFXII's ability to fight baddies on the overmap instead of transitioning to ugly generic arenas

More RPGs definetely need this. I really do hate having to load into another area, fight the bad guys, get the victory song, then load back into where I was traveling before. And I always hated how SE was basically "Oh, we almost did that for FFVIII, then FFIX, then FFX, but we could never program it correctly." If Chrono Trigger on the SNES could pull it off, why couldn't the more powerful systems do this?

I really hope FFXIII manages this, and reports make it sound like it kinda will/kinda won't.
    - Ratchet & Clank's "item magnet" system, so you don't have to walk over each individual generic small collectable item to pick it up. Luckily, it seems like a lot of game developers already do this one

I like this one too, as well as Mario Galaxy's use of the wiimote to collect the star bits. However, it does slightly irk me that you can't use the wiimote to collect coins, and you have to physically touch them. Sure, that would probably make things too easy, but still.
    - Oblivion's fast travel system. Yeah, I know, getting there is half the adventure. Exploration for the sake of exploration is one of the things that I dearly love about the Elder Scrolls series, but sometimes you just want to get there and be done with it.[/QUOTE]

You don't know how often I wished FFXI had this feature. With all the warp rings, region teleporting, airships, and Chocobos, there's really no quick way to get from one area to another.

• Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Checkpoints are fine as long as their done well.

Am I not currently engaged in killing something right now? Checkpoint.

Start of a long section of walking with no action? Checkpoint.

End of a long section of walking with no action? Checkpoint.

End of a fight, but right before another one? Checkpoint.

And so on. There's simple logical places to put then. Do them frequently, and no one will complain about no "save anywhere".

shryke on
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Oh, and on the JRPG-type thing.

Random battles. Fuck them. Get rid of them. Or at least, have auto-auto-resolve. "BTW, you just encountered a battle and won. Good on you."

Also, long attack animations, make them skippable. Fucking 10 minute long summon animations in FF.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Which is why I'll never, ever buy Blue Dragon.

That demo was a joke. Every single attack, spell and summon was this stupidly long animation. Especially painful if the attack did little to no damage.

• Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The ability to change the difficulty level on the fly.

edit: Presto change-o!

FreddyD on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    FreddyD wrote: »
    Gratuitous nudity.

Only because BMXXX set such a good precedent for nudity in games.

Burtletoy on