Options

What features should *every* video game have?

• Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    FreddyD wrote: »
    Gratuitous nudity.

I think we all can get behind this one.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Greeper wrote: »
    I swear, you know Morrowind?

I must have spent the entire game jumping everywhere I went.

Because hey, free skillpoints!

Fixed. Thats what I did at least.

I like cutscenes, they can be entertaining and move the story along. A few rules though.

No pre-boss fight save points before the boss' cutscene. I hate dying and having to watch the same 5 minute speech over and over.
    No supernatural junk, the main character doing something badass perhaps, but nothing outside the normal game mechanics. If I can't jump 150 feet, rip the door off a car and bash a bad guy in the face during normal gameplay I don't want to watch my character do it in a cutscene.

Arrath on
  • Options
    Vert1Vert1 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Music that changes depending on how good you are doing ala Skies of Arcadia.

Vert1 on
    blood_berry_new.jpg
    Sleep wrote: »
    Vert1 wrote: »
    I'd like to ask everyone here one question. What is a game?

A lower form of sex.
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Being able to save anywhere breaks some games. And I don't mean from the perspective of using quicksave/load to cheat the game, because that can be gotten around by just having the load erase itself after loading, but I mean any game where you could get lost easilly, forcing you to save at specific places, not just anywhere means you are less likely to get lost when you load up next time.

LewieP on
  • Options
    ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Online (or at least online-aware)
    High-def
    High production values
    Ummm fun?
    Immersive experience (Assassin's Creed does this well, so does WoW once you're in the game)

It's a tough question because it's some what vague. Asking "What features should every RPG have?" and "What features should every FPS have?" are very different questions. "What features should every game have?" is very vague.

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I don't think any one feature is right for every game, but one thing I'd enjoy to see more of is punishing people in drop in online ranked games. Disconnect right before you lose? Uh oh, it conts as a loss anyway, maybe know you'll stop being a prick.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    jotjot Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    titmouse wrote: »
    You should always have the ability to take off parts of the HUD.

For some reason I read that as

You should always have the ability to take off pants

jot on
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    SirUltimos wrote: »
    I don't think any one feature is right for every game, but one thing I'd enjoy to see more of is punishing people in drop in online ranked games. Disconnect right before you lose? Uh oh, it conts as a loss anyway, maybe know you'll stop being a prick.

I think the problem is that if the host disconnects then everyone drops, whether they won or not, and the win-loss data might be gone as well. I guess you could give everyone an extra loss before the game begins that is erased after the match (as incentive to complete the round). Or keep a record of disconnects. But the innocent will still be punished along with the guilty.

I was wondering how they could ever do a pink slip race mode on XBox Live, because of the griefers and disconnectors. If they could work that out, Micro Machines V4 would be perfect for XBLA.

FreddyD on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    You should always have the ability to take off parts of the HUD.

We're still stuck with using action replay to do this.

Vert1 on
    blood_berry_new.jpg

A lower form of sex.
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    You should always have the ability to take off pants

We're still stuck with using action replay to do this.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    shyguyshyguy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    LewieP wrote: »
    Being able to save anywhere breaks some games. And I don't mean from the perspective of using quicksave/load to cheat the game, because that can be gotten around by just having the load erase itself after loading, but I mean any game where you could get lost easilly, forcing you to save at specific places, not just anywhere means you are less likely to get lost when you load up next time.

Wait... how is that a downside? Getting lost in a game and having no idea what to do is one of the things that will simply make me shut off a game and never play it again.

shyguy on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    FreddyD wrote: »
    SirUltimos wrote: »

I think the problem is that if the host disconnects then everyone drops, whether they won or not, and the win-loss data might be gone as well. I guess you could give everyone an extra loss before the game begins that is erased after the match (as incentive to complete the round). Or keep a record of disconnects. But the innocent will still be punished along with the guilty.

I was wondering how they could ever do a pink slip race mode on XBox Live, because of the griefers and disconnectors. If they could work that out, Micro Machines V4 would be perfect for XBLA.

It would work much better with dedicated servers, but even without I'm willing to let a few innocents be punished. It's one thing that really gets on my nerves. I like the idea of giving everyone a loss that's erased at the end, or if the host drops then no one gets a loss but the host does.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The ability to incorperate your own songs as background music for the game, but keep the sound effects in the game. Or the ability to turn off all the sound except for the sound effects so you can play your own music on a diffrent device and still be able to hear sound effects.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    Spectral SwallowSpectral Swallow Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Alternately I'd like to be able to turn off the sound but keep the music. How many times do I have to hear the same one liner when I kill a generic enemy? The simpsons games are real bad about this.

Or how about a internal counter that keeps track of what is said, and after they're all said, they don't repeat? That would be even better, thinking about it.

Spectral Swallow on
  • Options
    ChenjesuChenjesu Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Big Dookie wrote: »

Again, the save anywhere system is good for some games, but other games benefit from having predefined save points. If you don't like this concept, that's okay, but that doesn't mean it isn't a good system for certain games. Frankly, I like save points. With save-anywhere systems, I find myself constantly saving - as in, every minute or two I compulsively hit F5 so I don't have to play through the section again. It sucks all the fun out of the game. With a save-point system, I can sit back and actually enjoy the experience of playing through the game without worrying about saving my game all the time. If I die and have to play through a section again, so what? I usually can get it on a second try, and I have NEVER seen a game that makes you wait two+ hours between save points as you claim. In the very least, they would be the exception to the rule.

So yeah, the savepoint system isn't for everyone... but being able to save whenever you want isn't all it's cracked up to be for everyone.

FF7 frequently had long time-frames between save points, and that was the game I had in mind. I was on the world map, nudged a plot activation point with a large detection radius at the end of a long session of gaming, and it was two hours before the next point you could save. Even one hour is too long to put between save points...unless you put in a suspend system. Almost every handheld game has them. It has absolutely no effect on games that are "enhanced" by save points, and they make it so you don't have to block out your free time in hours just to try to advance a bit. Huge advantage, no drawback, so no reason not to put them in every game.

Chenjesu on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    yalborap wrote: »
    Time for something a little different. Note that I do not suggest that a game's STORY should have any of the things I suggest, merely that they should be non-canon extras.

First, telekinesis. I can live without being able to set people on fire with my mind, but god dammit, I should be able to pick shit up and chuck it at people with my mind. Bonus points if the game breaks things down more and more into destructable/pickupable objects. My ideal game is one where every single bit of the game can potentially be pulled off and used as a weapon, shield, surfboard, etc.

Second, zombie-mode. Just replace the enemies with swarms of the undead, and we're golden. Drop down the AI, and so on.

Third, forge/keys-to-the-city style mode. Lemme make myself invulnerable, spawn the best weapon in the game, and go on a fucking rampage, then position the corpses very erotically. And then spawn a tank/jet/epic mount/camel with a cannon on its hump and just go to town.

If every game had these(every single player game, of course, as this stuff would COMPLETELY break MMOs), I would be eternally happy.

Have you heard of Gmod on Steam? You can do almost all of that and more.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    MattieMattie Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    The ability to incorperate your own songs as background music for the game, but keep the sound effects in the game. Or the ability to turn off all the sound except for the sound effects so you can play your own music on a diffrent device and still be able to hear sound effects.

You know your 360 can do that.

Mattie on
    3DS Code 0001-3323-2884
    Xbox Live Gamertag: Suplex86
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Mattie wrote: »

I tried it but I thought it got rid of the sound effects in the game aswell. I guess I probably only tried it on Halo 2 since that was the only game I owned 'for' my 360 for a while and those sound effects in FPS are pretty important.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    yalborap wrote: »
    Time for something a little different. Note that I do not suggest that a game's STORY should have any of the things I suggest, merely that they should be non-canon extras.

First, telekinesis. I can live without being able to set people on fire with my mind, but god dammit, I should be able to pick shit up and chuck it at people with my mind. Bonus points if the game breaks things down more and more into destructable/pickupable objects. My ideal game is one where every single bit of the game can potentially be pulled off and used as a weapon, shield, surfboard, etc.

Second, zombie-mode. Just replace the enemies with swarms of the undead, and we're golden. Drop down the AI, and so on.

Third, forge/keys-to-the-city style mode. Lemme make myself invulnerable, spawn the best weapon in the game, and go on a fucking rampage, then position the corpses very erotically. And then spawn a tank/jet/epic mount/camel with a cannon on its hump and just go to town.

If every game had these(every single player game, of course, as this stuff would COMPLETELY break MMOs), I would be eternally happy.

Have you heard of Gmod on Steam? You can do almost all of that and more.

Yes, but I'm a console man with a mac, sadly. :(

Still, anything that gets more telekinesis, zombies, and crazyshit modes is okay in my book.

yalborap on
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Mattie wrote: »

I tried it but I thought it got rid of the sound effects in the game aswell. I guess I probably only tried it on Halo 2 since that was the only game I owned 'for' my 360 for a while and those sound effects in FPS are pretty important.

Halo 2's an oxbox game, where support is limited at best.

You have to do it in actual 360 games, where it's universal.

My only complaint about it is that more specialized methods don't work anymore(like how GTA and its clones will let you play custom soundtracks in vehicles). Just a minor complaint.

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Everything in Legend of the Mystical Ninja.

Vert1 on
    blood_berry_new.jpg

A lower form of sex.
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Surround Sound.

For me, this is big. Clean, crisp, well presented audio is a lot!

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Pata wrote: »
    Narian wrote: »
    EDIT: Also, more RPGs need a Gambit system. Seriously.

Action RPGs, where you're controlling one player at a time, would be perfect for a gambit system.

After the glory of FFXII, for example, KH2's AI felt really limited and unpredictable.

FFXII had pretty much the best gameplay system I've played since CT.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Legend of the Mystical Ninja>FFXII

Vert1 on
    blood_berry_new.jpg

A lower form of sex.
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    In all menus you should be able to go from the top to the bottom by pressing up and the bottom to the top by pressing down. It drives me crazy when you can't.

bruin on
  • Options
    LordsOfPlagueLordsOfPlague Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Every game in which it makes sense to do so should have co-op, added bonus if online. Think Halo. It had a great multiplayer, but Co-op was the best part. 4 player co op is some of the most fun I've ever had in a game. And "co-op" doesn't mean MMO for no reason. Two Worlds was looking like it would be a great game until they decided to go MMO style, same with Hellgate. I play through Stalker, Oblivion, Mount and Blade, Mercenaries 1(2 is going to fix it), Grand Theft Auto (San Andreas sort of had co-op), Silent Storm, The Sims, and countless other games thinking of how they could be so much better if only I was playing them with someone else.

And I don't mean tacked on coop, like co-op for one section where the section player is limited in ability. You should be able to play through the entirety of the game with another player, no limitations. I don't care about complications of technology, make it happen.

Edit: Forgot to add a point to the last line of that first paragraph.

LordsOfPlague on
    durance6qy.jpg
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Every game in which it makes sense to do so should have co-op, added bonus if online. Think Halo. It had a great multiplayer, but Co-op was the best part. 4 player co op is some of the most fun I've ever had in a game. And "co-op" doesn't mean MMO for no reason. Two Worlds was looking like it would be a great game until they decided to go MMO style, same with Hellgate. I play through Stalker, Oblivion, Mount and Blade, Mercenaries 1(2 is going to fix it), Grand Theft Auto (San Andreas sort of had co-op), Silent Storm, The Sims, and countless other games.

And I don't mean tacked on coop, like co-op for one section where the section player is limited in ability. You should be able to play through the entirety of the game with another player, no limitations. I don't care about complications of technology, make it happen.

I wish to subscribe to your newsletter.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The Zelda games are long over-do for a boss rush mode.

Magus` on
  • Options
    PjstelfordPjstelford Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Magus` wrote: »

Pjstelford on
  • Options
    AvaritiaAvaritia Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Coop.

Roleplaying elements.

A scar system like Fable.

The long jump.

Rocket-propelled chainsaw-launchers.

Avaritia on
    May contain sarcasm, irony, hyperboles, lies, slander, personal opinions, madness and crimes against grammar.
    ... and nuts.
  • Options
    PhotonPhoton Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Passwords instead of save files!

As a kid i remember sitting in an airport for an hour with bomberman on my gameboy trying random codes, and felt like some kind of awesome computer hacker when i eventually guessed one for a level i hadnt got to yet.

The children of today growing up with modern games and their fancy save systems are being cruelly deprived of that opportunity. I should start a petition!

Photon on
    PSN: photon_86
  • Options
    LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Pjstelford wrote: »
    Magus` wrote: »
    Majora's Mask and The Wind Waker would like to have a word with you.

Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
  • Options
    sp1ttlesp1ttle Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    How about having a sound menu where you can listen to the game soundtrack?

sp1ttle on
  • Options
    SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Pb wrote: »
    New Game+. I don't care if it's fucking Solitare, give me New Game+.
    onefreeinternet.jpg
    The ONLY part of FFX-2 superior to X was the new game plus.
    Also, it made RE4 that much more awesome. Nothin' beats bustin' caps in the village with the Handgun's exclusive.

Somestickguy on
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    4 player co op is some of the most fun I've ever had in a game.

4 player legendary is incredible. So crazy and hectic, I usually have no idea what my friends are doing. Coupled with the saved films feature its just as fun roaming around the carnage as a camera later, seeing the whole picture.

Arrath on
  • Options
    UndefinedMonkeyUndefinedMonkey Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    - FFXII's ability to fight baddies on the overmap instead of transitioning to ugly generic arenas

More RPGs definetely need this. I really do hate having to load into another area, fight the bad guys, get the victory song, then load back into where I was traveling before. And I always hated how SE was basically "Oh, we almost did that for FFVIII, then FFIX, then FFX, but we could never program it correctly." If Chrono Trigger on the SNES could pull it off, why couldn't the more powerful systems do this?

I really hope FFXIII manages this, and reports make it sound like it kinda will/kinda won't.

Exactly. There's so much wasted time there, not to mention the fact that you totally lose immersion. And don't get me started on those horrible cannon fodder fights where you spend a quarter of a minute panning and posturing and one-linering and ^_____^XxX-ing just to one-shot rats. It all adds up.

Actually, here's a crazy idea. Instead of random, tile-based encounters, put all the baddies on the map. A lot of RPGs already do this. Then take it one step further. Instead of zooming in for every piddly little grind encounter, just auto-kill the bad guy, play a tiny animation and sound on the overworld map, and subtract some low, random amount of health to simulate the fight. Reduce all the cannon fodder fights to glorified powerups. Because that's really what they are when you break things down... powerups with a bit of risk involved. Save the actual fighting for guys >= your level.

UndefinedMonkey on
    This space intentionally left blank.
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    - FFXII's ability to fight baddies on the overmap instead of transitioning to ugly generic arenas

More RPGs definetely need this. I really do hate having to load into another area, fight the bad guys, get the victory song, then load back into where I was traveling before. And I always hated how SE was basically "Oh, we almost did that for FFVIII, then FFIX, then FFX, but we could never program it correctly." If Chrono Trigger on the SNES could pull it off, why couldn't the more powerful systems do this?

I really hope FFXIII manages this, and reports make it sound like it kinda will/kinda won't.

Exactly. There's so much wasted time there, not to mention the fact that you totally lose immersion. And don't get me started on those horrible cannon fodder fights where you spend a quarter of a minute panning and posturing and one-linering and ^_____^XxX-ing just to one-shot rats. It all adds up.

FFXII didn't really handle that very well either, considering all of the unavoidable cannon fodder fights that you still have to go through to get anywhere. It kind of seemed like the game was on to something but missed out on its own point.

Chrono Trigger pulled it off by having every single fight be scripted. There are still arenas, they just look exactly like the normal terrain and there is no visual transition beyond your party splitting up.

jothki on
  • Options
    Rey Del AguilaRey Del Aguila __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    The ability to parkour.

Rey Del Aguila on
    Because you know who SAID you know what with you know who, let's keep that between me and you.
  • Options
    RichardTauberRichardTauber Kvlt Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    20021018h.gif

RichardTauber on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Save anywhere. This can be like ff3 ds, where it quicksaves and automatically exits the game, then brings you back but the save is destroyed when you come back. So you can't use it to save before the big fight to try again or whatever, but you can save your current progress before you get on the bus, have to go to class, have to go to work etc etc.
    Not having this function in any game where more than half an hour of progress can be lost is, with no exceptions, amateurish.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.