Options

What features should *every* video game have?

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    mtvcdm wrote: »
    Tetris needs another shape.
    Wasn't there a Game Boy game with five-part tetrominos instead of four?

If you went far enough in Tetris Blast, the game would start throwing pentaminos at you. Tetris Blast was awesome.
    Daedalus wrote: »
    Low battery warnings. Some Wii games do it, some don't, and it really should be mandatory for any game on any system capable of it.

Metroid Prime 3 even puts a battery indicator in the HUD.

jothki on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    jothki wrote: »
    mtvcdm wrote: »
    Tetris needs another shape.
    Wasn't there a Game Boy game with five-part tetrominos instead of four?

If you went far enough in Tetris Blast, the game would start throwing pentaminos at you. Tetris Blast was awesome.
    Low battery warnings. Some Wii games do it, some don't, and it really should be mandatory for any game on any system capable of it.

Metroid Prime 3 even puts a battery indicator in the HUD.

Yes, they do, and I thought that was particularly classy, but even Mario Galaxy will toss it up on the screen on the side if the Wiimote is about to die. Third parties need to get on the ball.
    the only third party Wii game I currently own is Resident Evil 4

Daedalus on
  • Options
    sabyulsabyul Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I don't mind load times nearly at all. If it means I can get a prettier, smoother, more detailed gameplay experience, then I'm all for it.

That said, games should try to cover it up as much as possible. Most recent example: COD4's sweet briefing sequences cover up level load times nearly completely. Gears of War streams levels as you play, meaning there are only short quips of loading when I die and need to go back a bit. Both of the single player experiences here are exciting and just don't let the player go because it never lets up; it doens't ever feel like there's a stopping point.

Halo 3 at least has a super pretty loading screen. COD2's loads were cool I guess, with the soldiers' journal entries. Devil May Cry 3 had a loading screen you could slash and shoot (and aim and use the stick, too-- you can Stinger / High Time launch it), but it would have been GREAT if I could do my equipping and shopping while it loaded the next level.

sabyul on
    http://www.frame-advantage.com - Specializing in high quality fighting game video content
  • Options
    glithertglithert Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Nocturne wrote: »
    Every game should be available on the PC.

Seriously.
    Wii Sports?

Of course. Its almost unplayable without KBAM.

glithert on
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    You only see Halo 3's load screen once, though.

Or is it in between levels, too? I can't remember.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Every game needs output that's somehow influenced by user input.

I think that's pretty much the only thing we can say about *all games*.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    If this has been said already sorry.

But I think EVERY GAME should have SOMETHING COOL at the end of credits. I hate beating a game, sitting through the credits to get a "The End" or loaded back to the main menu.

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    SimBen wrote: »

I don't know, what about JRPGs?

shryke on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    shryke wrote: »

Oh zing. You so clever. Here have the cleverest guy trophy.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    syrionsyrion Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Do you want to influence the plot?
       Yes
    >> No

Yes
    >> No

Yes
    >> No

>> Yes
       No

Well, you can't.  Piss off.

syrion on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

Sweet. When's the awards ceremony?

shryke on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

My ass.

Yes, you read that right. The time is my ass.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2007

My ass.

Gonna be busy then I guess.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

My ass.

Gonna be busy then I guess.

The implication here is that the trophy is a shit.

And here you are countering by implying that I like to have gay sex in the butt.

Good play, friend. Good play. *sips some Brandy*

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    A good title screen. All games should have a good title screen. This can be done in a variety of different ways, but it should always be done well. The title screen is generally the first thing you see in a game, so it should be good enough to make a good first impression. It's all in the details.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    syrionsyrion Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

shrykeawardbd6.png

syrion on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Void in Canada? Dammit.

shryke on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Void in Canada? Dammit.

Enjoy the award, Mister Shryke. *exits dramatically*

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    You only see Halo 3's load screen once, though.

Or is it in between levels, too? I can't remember.

Being one of the most beautiful load-screens I've ever seen, I'm happy to watch it a couple of times during gameplay.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    Something WittySomething Witty Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    It annoys me when I can't see the characters legs and feet when I look down in an FPS. It's not much of an issue but it makes me feel like I'm playing the game as a floating gun and a pair of detached arms.

Something Witty on
    IMWithDentToo.png
  • Options
    LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    Bad ass celebrity voices. Michael Ironside FTW.

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    Something WittySomething Witty Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Kieth David FTW.

Something Witty on
    IMWithDentToo.png
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    It annoys me when I can't see the characters legs and feet when I look down in an FPS. It's not much of an issue but it makes me feel like I'm playing the game as a floating gun and a pair of detached arms.

This tends to be more of an issue in mods rather than actual retail games, but what really gets me is bad connections with the v_ models- i.e., that you can tell the arms aren't connected to a body because at some angles/in some situations you can actually see your unconnected elbow hovering in place. Dark Messiah was pretty good for this because no matter how much you got knocked around, there was never a moment like that because your entire body was modelled.

Oh, and we could do with weapon-reloading animations that don't consist of taking out the clip and then putting the same clip back in. Or at least do it off screen, dammit!

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Kieth David FTW.

I can't believe the voices Mass Effect has to its name. Keith David, Lance Henriksen, Seth Green too..
    spooge.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Unlockable content.

It doesn't have to involve things that are insanely hard to actually achieve, just little nods to people along the way. I don't care if they're extra backgrounds for solitaire after completing the game, I can't think of many games that would suffer for this.

Also, developer commentaries. The ones for Portal, HL2: Ep1 and Ep2 are outstanding.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    Lave IILave II Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    sabyul wrote: »
    I don't mind load times nearly at all. If it means I can get a prettier, smoother, more detailed gameplay experience, then I'm all for it.

That said, games should try to cover it up as much as possible. Most recent example: COD4's sweet briefing sequences cover up level load times nearly completely. Gears of War streams levels as you play, meaning there are only short quips of loading when I die and need to go back a bit. Both of the single player experiences here are exciting and just don't let the player go because it never lets up; it doens't ever feel like there's a stopping point.

Halo 3 at least has a super pretty loading screen. COD2's loads were cool I guess, with the soldiers' journal entries. Devil May Cry 3 had a loading screen you could slash and shoot (and aim and use the stick, too-- you can Stinger / High Time launch it), but it would have been GREAT if I could do my equipping and shopping while it loaded the next level.

I hate load times. i loathe them, they should have disappeared this gen completely. It's a trait that only we the geek minority will put up with. The general public wouldn't put up with 10 to 30 sec pauses in the cinema showing Lord of the Rings during big scene changes and before the battles. It would be laughed out of the cinema, no matter how far ahead the graphics were.

If you can't hide the loading via streaming it on the disk, or through subtle diversions like the briefing scenes then you are fundamentally failing at your stated task as a developer. At least put an animation of Link opening a door, rather than a blank screen with "loading...." popping up. The Metroid Primes have always handled it well too. But the tactic of having a splash screen with 'tips' popping up pisses me off greatly.

I understand why they do it, but if I had all that power at my disposal I would use some of it to mean there was no loading. Even at the expense of graphics.

Jesus fuck.

Lave II on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    every game needs to be cartridge based from here on in. hell even if the console was just a CPU/VPU/PPU with a HDD and the cart was just a boatload of RAM/ROM, there would be thousands of dicks cumming... Console life cycles could be much higher since games that need more memory would simply toss more on their cart, need less? just put less on the cart.

I miss the days of blowing into the game cart for 20 minutes to try and get your game to work!

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    Lave IILave II Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Oh, I've another one.

Games should take more from DVDs. If a persons spent £20-£50 on a game, they should have the following options.

An inbuilt FAQ that told you what to do if you were stuck without having to go to the web and wade through gamefaqs. Pref it would be a series of increasing helpful hints.

You should be able to skip bits. There are a number of games I've stopped for good because of a difficulty spike, I should have an option to skip it and carry on.

The point where I have to decide the difficulty of a game isn't before I've played any of the fucking game. I should be able to ramp it up, or lower it at any time.

Sure put a little mark on my save file that shows how much they've copped out, or other methods to encourage proper playing, but don't hold the rest of the game from someone as punishment for not playing it properly.

If you've played Rhythm Tengoku, then you'll know it's level grid, more games should have that. Each bit marking how well you've done. And it even lets you skip hard levels once or twice.

Lave II on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Games need to be cheaper.

Raising the price to $60 is going to get you less money from me, not more, since it means I'll probably buy used. Even $50 is a lot of money to drop on a video game.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Games need to be cheaper.

Raising the price to $60 is going to get you less money from me, not more, since it means I'll probably buy used. Even $50 is a lot of money to drop on a video game.

damn right, I've got a lot of expendable cash to throw around irresponsibly but I haven't boughten any of the shitstorm of good games coming out because I die a little inside every time I take a non-collector's edition game to the counter and see the $90 total. Recently I took $90 to ebay and purchased half a dozen 360 games that I'd wanted to play... There is just something fricken wrong with that.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Here's something I don't want RPGs to have anymore. Switches.

Running around a multi layered dungeon full of random battles to find all the switches, then try to pull the switches in a certain order, then run around the dungeon full of random battles again to see what the switches did. Oh, but the constant random battles can cause you to lose track. Was I going left or right that time? Uh oh, I'm lost but here's some more random battles to throw me off.

Switches. Fuck them.

And fuck you Eternal Sonata.
    I had to use a GameFAQ for that shitty dungeon. At least I'm outside again.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    UndefinedMonkeyUndefinedMonkey Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Here's something I don't want RPGs to have anymore. Switches.

I agree completely.

UndefinedMonkey on
    This space intentionally left blank.
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Less first person shooters, more third person shooters.

I love Jet Force Gemini and Resident Evil 4 and I'm dismayed that most developers are still doing shooters in the first person. Sure it's kind of annoying when most of your character is taking up the screen, but I want to be aware of what the character i'm playing is doing. FPSes only give you a small cone for your viewing and allow you to only be aware of the two arms in front of you, but third-person shooters allow one to be aware of what their feet are doing, whether you will sidestep off an edge or into a wall, and lets you even see the bullets hitting your body letting you know just where you're being hit from.

Also games need a universal pause button that can be pressed at anytime, whether it's a cutscene, the credits, or even during intro videoes.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The problem with all games being 3rd person is that 3rd person camera's take a lot more effort to make work than 1st person. It just isn't feasible.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    darunia106 wrote: »
    First person shooters need to be third person shooters.

Aggreed so very very hard. The reason I find Gears of War to be so technically impressive is that I can actually look at my character as he rolls around, curb stomps, and run like a fucking bull in a crowded street. With games like Halo 3 where I can customize my armor, I often wonder what the point is if I can't even see my character while playing?

Honestly, an over the shoulder look isn't really hard to adapt to. To hell with the FPS cry babies.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I would not enjoy halflife anyway near as much if it was a 3rd person game (assuming that were all they changes), same goes for alot of FPSs

You are being idea fascists, and should feel bad.

LewieP on
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    LewieP wrote: »
    I would not enjoy halflife anyway near as much if it was a 3rd person game (assuming that were all they changes), same goes for alot of FPSs

You are being idea fascists, and should feel bad.

:rotate::whistle:

Just saying we need more third person shooters as you can see from my post that has not just been ninja-edited.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Third person is getting more popular though, what with Gears of War and Mass Effect.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Games need more falcon punch. Resident Evil 5 is trying but its just one game.

Im talking non Captain falcon punches here.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    LaredenLareden Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Saving is a great feature. I really want all games to have that. Everything else is just icing.

Remember when we had to write down codes on paper to continue our game later? (See: Metroid) And you had to die to get the code? Also, there were some games that had no save/code feature at all, like Ghosts and Goblins.

It's a great age of gaming indeed when people expect EVERY game to have that fancy list of features the OP listed.

Lareden on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]