Options

What features should *every* video game have?

123457»

• Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    LewieP wrote: »
    I would not enjoy halflife anyway near as much if it was a 3rd person game (assuming that were all they changes), same goes for alot of FPSs

You are being idea fascists, and should feel bad.

Third person wouldn't work for Half-Life.

It would work for Halo.

No one ever said they should all be third person, just that we want more in that vein.

Professor Snugglesworth on
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I would not enjoy halflife anyway near as much if it was a 3rd person game (assuming that were all they changes), same goes for alot of FPSs

It would work for Halo.

No one ever said they should all be third person, just that we want more in that vein.

To be pedantic, someone did say they should all be third person -- you quoted him, in fact -- but then he ninja-edited. So it would be more accurate to say that "no one is saying they should all be third person."

Orogogus on
  • Options
    StarcrossStarcross Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I should never find myself coming back to a game and having no idea what I'm supposed to be doing. Every game should have some way to remind you exactly what you were up to when you last played it be it a journal/quest list in the menu or the ability to speak to one of your party members about it. ("What the hell are we doing again?" "As you well know boss we were....)

Starcross on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

It would work for Halo.

Actually darunia106 said that all FPSs should be 3rd Person, and Professor Snugglesworth agreed.

Edit: Shit that's you. I am now meta-confused. Ninja Editing is evil.

LewieP on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Okay, well I misread the original message, but his ninja edit retconned my statement and uh, well that's ninjas for you.

• Options
    PlutoniumPlutonium Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Games need more falcon punch. Resident Evil 5 is trying but its just one game.

Im talking non Captain falcon punches here.

What about the knee?

Plutonium on
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Forar wrote: »
    Unlockable content.

Every game should have the concept and promo art as an unlockable. Metroid Primes and Soul Calibur 1 may have spoiled me, but if there's space on the disc, I really can't see a reason for it not to be shoved on there.

I always knew something was missing from tetris. Now I know.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    tannish2tannish2 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    i say every multiplayer game should have the option to NOT record matches on your profile, and if this is done, to let the host disconnect anyone they like at any time (TKers, campers, assish noobs, people who are noobs AND cant follow directions, and maybe evem those who are simply without sportsmanship) really cuts down on stress. and voice loss(or wrist injuries) from yelling(or typing a lot) at assholes/explaining something to someone 30 times. and if a particular host uses it only on people who are winning, just leave the game and host it yourself, making it funner for everyone involved.

tannish2 on
    i don't know who is reading this, but you're a terrible person who should be savagely beaten by a panda with a bag of kittens.
    also, please excuse anything in the post that sounded stupid. it was. and thats how half lawyer half insurance agent chicken-bears conquered thailand, korea and, most of france in the late 1300s.
  • Options
    PlutoniumPlutonium Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Every game could have a little Hellmarch somewhere in the soundtrack.

Plutonium on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    plufim wrote: »

I always knew something was missing from tetris. Now I know.

Now I'm imagining Captain Falcon showing up at the side of the screen and punching four lines off every time you get a Tetris.

Why wasn't that in Tetris DS? I demand to know.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I think more games need development blogs, akin to the smash brothers one. There's something special about getting info straight from the developers rather then the gaming press. And if well paced, it can really build anticipation for an upcoming release.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Plutonium wrote: »
    Every game could have a little Lux Aeterna somewhere in the soundtrack.

LewieP on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Houk wrote: »
    If it's got cutscenes, every scene should be pausable and skippable.

I'm so glad Kingdom Hearts II had this, as this problem was nothing short of psychological torture in the original title.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    On the RPG side of things-

Weapons should be visually unique, I'm okay without the armor, though.
    But there should be alternate costumes. Some ridiculous ones. And they should show up in cutscenes.

A definite yes on the compendiums, like Star Ocean 3's or Final Fantasy XII's.

Achievements/unlockables. Think Star Ocean 3's battle trophies, except make the unlock requirements a bit less hardcore, some of the trophy requirements less annoying to get, and not require me to unlock Full Active mode.

Music playlist. At the very least on newgame+, let me pick any song from the soundtrack as the battle theme. Let me just assign one as my travelling music, too, and choose not to have it transition when I enter battle.

Breakable enemy parts. This made Valkyrie Profile 2 so much more entertaining. My dream game would incorporate the fluidity of SO3's combat, add part breaking, and have FFXII-ish AI tweakability, with all the battles taking place on the same map.

Entertaining minigames. PSX era games were the only ones to put any effort into quality minigames. Suikoden 2 cookoff, Triple Triad, Xenogears Eggs Arena. What happened?

...And I shouldn't be completely hampered just because I'm carrying a damn flag. What kind of elite soldier can't carry a flag in one arm?

Frosteey on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    edit: my idea was too awesome to share
    double edit: every game needs to be a sequel to Deathrow because the first game hauled so much ass.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    SaniusSanius Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Houk wrote: »
    If it's got cutscenes, every scene should be pausable and skippable.
    Assassin's Creed badly needs this.

Sanius on
  • Options
    SamphisSamphis Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Pausable/skippable cutscenes.

There is no excuse for Metal Gear Solid 3 still not letting you pause cutscenes. None at all.

Samphis on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I CAN FUCKING SWIM. WATER SHOULD NOT KILL ME.

Multiple costumes are mandatory. For all games.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Lave II wrote: »
    An inbuilt FAQ that told you what to do if you were stuck without having to go to the web and wade through gamefaqs. Pref it would be a series of increasing helpful hints.

Bingo. Preferably an FAQ that isn't written by a 13 year old named SsJGoHANSuBzyr0.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I think more games need development blogs, akin to the smash brothers one. There's something special about getting info straight from the developers rather then the gaming press. And if well paced, it can really build anticipation for an upcoming release.

The wait for the upcoming FFs would be so much fucking better with this. Agreed ten-fold.

I believe FFIV DS has a blog, but naturally it's in Japanese. Nomura is always constantly dropping in new bits of info for upcoming games (just in: FFXIII will have controllable airships and a world map), so he really should keep track of it all in a blog. Along with concept sketches and stuff.

Sometimes I think Square Enix just doesn't care about us. :(

• Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007

The wait for the upcoming FFs would be so much fucking better with this. Agreed ten-fold.

I believe FFIV DS has a blog, but naturally it's in Japanese. Nomura is always constantly dropping in new bits of info for upcoming games (just in: FFXIII will have controllable airships and a world map), so he really should keep track of it all in a blog. Along with concept sketches and stuff.

Sometimes I think Square Enix just doesn't care about us. :(

They made Parasite Eve III for cell phones, of course they don't care about us.
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    Multiple costumes are mandatory. For all games.

I heartily agree, and not just a pallete change but a whole new freaking skin like Peach's Daisy outfit in SSBM or Leon's diverse wardrobe in RE4.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Subtitles. Especially when I can't hear a damn word a character is saying and it is important to what the hell I need to do.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Subtitles. Especially when I can't hear a damn word a character is saying and it is important to what the hell I need to do.

This is actually a pretty mandatory feature nowadays, in fact subtitles were pretty handy in Portal.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

I think this is a great idea on all levels. Assuming they can be switched off if for some reason you do not want them.

SirUltimos on