As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[POTBS] Pirates of the Burning Sea

• PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Hey folks,

I put together a quick little website (read as, I took the default blog set up and threw links to a forum on it) to house any coordination for a small group of friends of mine from beta.

We are going to be running a Spanish Society (preferablly on a different server than the PA pirates society) that is very economic centric. Once we have the economy down, we will work on getting everyone leveled and geared for some pvp.

Named it Fortune Fandango, wanted that FFers abreviation. The website is at www.jotzweb.com/ff.

If you are interested in the economy side of the game, I am going to start putting down examples of what businesses work for solos or groups on the public forum for all to see.

I'll also put my spreadsheet that I have been using to plan everything on there as well, its a pretty handy tool that you can put in what you wish to make, and it will output how much basic resources you need and also the amount of time it will take in each of the shops.

On a side note though, I would love to join in with the pirates as well, its a fun deversion to all the economy work!

Let me know as soon as you pick the server. Then I will not pick that one. The pirate society will be open to everyone, since this is a public forum. Everyone from your guild will certainly be welcome in the Pirate guild.

I plan on making a Spanish Freetrader specialization on goods that put ports into contention. :)

PeasantDave on
    edited December 2007
    exis wrote: »
    I will also provide a brief explanation of the name. Clonakility Bay is an actual bay in Ireland. The obsessiveness derives from an herbal liquor no longer made. It was called "Seven Heads" and named after the seven peninsulas of Clonakility Bay, and the seven headed dragon which would live in a pool of sin and liquor. Here is an image of the bottle. I am open to any other names, this is just the best I could come up with. Nattie (Rynoa) will correct me if I got any of the story wrong.
    Clonakility.jpg

Oh, in that case, :^:.

But isn't it spelt Clonakilty? >.>

There are actually 4 ways to spell it. To english (Clonakilty, Clonakility) and two Gaelic (Clogh Na Kylte, and something else...).

PeasantDave on
  • johnnyonoesjohnnyonoes Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The reason for not choosing the same server is because you can only pick one faction per server (just like the WoW pvp server ruleset). It would allow for more shanagians than FLS can handle.

PeasantDave, I will put up a business model for you sometime tonight for what you are going to focus on.

johnnyonoes on
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I still need someone to explain to me what's so appealing about the economy =p you guys want to be like "hey I'll take care of the wood and mining and you take care of food and smelting and you do yada yada" and work together to build ships and stuff?

DiscoZombie on
    edited December 2007
    One of the things that is so appealing about the economy is that every thing that can be produced is worth something.

The other thing is how complex everything is. There really is nothing that a single account can make on it's own, which forces a pretty complex economy, where everyone is trying to find that sweet spot to make the big bucks. Not to mention that between the three nations, each one has a speciality, Spanish has lots of iron, French have lots of good for provisions, British... has british stuff ; /.

Within an society (guild/clan/etc) we would construct a closed loop that would sell larger items. Three accounts can make provisions, two accounts can do metal stuff (cannons, anchors, ship fittings). It makes for a situation where the many have it the easiest, but the solo guy can still pull off the big money by finding that hard to come by product no one else is making, combine that with buying from one nation low and selling to another nation high.

Oh and the best part. If you declare a really important port as a pvp zone, you can potentially cripple a nation's economy. So mix all the cool stuff with the economy and the huge ass wrench of killing economy +5 you've got yourself a really insanely dynamic economy.

Thats what I get out of it at least.

Edit:

The only drawback to this system that I see is that there is no rating system for each of the products. What made SWG so cool was that you could find that one metal that would make incredible weapons, and it would only be available for like 2 days, and then never seen again. So once everything is going, the economy may seem easy to most, but thats what PVP is supposed to mess up.

johnnyonoes on
  • TagTag Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So I think I'm sold on this game. Unfortunately I've been playing a privateer on Rackham so I can't join up with the pirate guild there in beta :-/

One question: I haven't found anyway to break ships down into component parts or hold captured ships for ransom (though my pirate on Blackbeard is very low level, Privateer has been too fun). Is there anyway to do either of these things? Seems like it would add a unique resource gathering tool for pirates whose faction lacks some of the advanced economic tools of the countries.

Otherwise it just seems to me that the pirates are a little... underpowered? The countries seem to get bigger (and better) ships for defending and taking ports, and better trading abilities, while privateers can accomplish pretty much anything a pirate can. Am I missing something? (Also its a shame the pirate faction can't have privateers since historically most pirates were technically privateers anyway. Giving people a choice between the two slightly different styles would be nice).

Tag on
    Overwatch: TomFoolery#1388
    Black Desert: Family Name: Foolery. Characters: Tome & Beerserk.
    (Retired) GW2 Characters (Fort Aspenwood): Roy Gee Biv
    (Retired) Let's Play: Lone Wolf
    edited December 2007
    beta ends on new year's day or so, right? and chars will be wiped?

DiscoZombie on
  • taco144taco144 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I was in the closed beta for this game for quite a while. During the summer, I was able to obtain a 1st rate 104 gun SOL with my French Naval Officer but it captured/destroyed by dirty pirates and I cant bear to play the game anymore
    :007zx4.png(

spoilered for size

taco144 on
    edited December 2007
    Yup, everything gets wiped on monday night.

There is going to be some sort of event happening which has been implying that there is going to be a lot of stuff available on the AH (probably for really cheap), its going to be a nice way to try different things out.

Then event from what i understand is starting today.

johnnyonoes on
    edited December 2007
    http://www.burningsea.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43128 for the end of beta info.

Looks like we are all going to get 1m dbs and an oppurtunity to purchase a lot xp books, so everyone will be lvl 50 and capable of buying most of the ships.

Definitly a good chance to try stuff out.

johnnyonoes on
  • tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So, wait, how do you level in this? how is the leveling system? I can't redownload it because I tried and it just gave me a slew of errors.

tyrannus on
  • Lunatic ClamLunatic Clam Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Yeah I downloaded the whole thing and got a corrupted download.

Lunatic Clam on
    Friend Code 0302-1076-6730
  • TagTag Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Rentilius wrote: »
    So, wait, how do you level in this? how is the leveling system? I can't redownload it because I tried and it just gave me a slew of errors.

I did the one big bulk download and it worked fine, but people seem to be having a problem with it :-/

As for leveling, you get experience from sinking/capturing/forcing the crew to abandon/killing the captain of enemy ships, as well as killing npcs in land based missions and completing missions of all sorts. The books thing is just a way for the devs to let people get up to 50 before the end of beta so you can fool around more.

Tag on
    Overwatch: TomFoolery#1388
    Black Desert: Family Name: Foolery. Characters: Tome & Beerserk.
    (Retired) GW2 Characters (Fort Aspenwood): Roy Gee Biv
    (Retired) Let's Play: Lone Wolf
  • HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Oh man. The "invincible" class 1st-Rate SOL is amazing.

It's slower than a slug, but holy crap you do NOT want to be on the receiving end of a full broadside of one of these suckers.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • grrarggrrarg Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Are there any good sites that explain how the crafting works and lists the various skills, materials and components?

I think I'm going to give this game a shot. With the stupid writers strike, there's nothing good on TV now, plus there are no other MMOs coming out anytime soon. I've avoided the beta and haven't been following it too closely to keep from getting bored and burnt out so quickly.

grrarg on
    edited December 2007
    I spent some time tooling around last night as a level 50 privateer. It was OK, but I think the game might be really boring in the long run. I joined a group and we were sailing around looking for people with their pvp flags on to attack. hardly found anyone, spent most of the time waiting around and then killing NPCs in order to try to get a port contested. so tedious... also, privateers seem kinda gimped. the best ships they can sail are about half as powerful as naval officers... though I guess the privateer advantage is in being able to attack pirates and other privateers during the pirate pvp period of port contention. also, privateer ships are faster, so I guess they're meant to sail ahead in pvp and use their abilities to slow down and weaken enemy ships of the line.

DiscoZombie on
  • JediNightJediNight Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I wanted to like this game, but there's just not enough content IMHO, and despite them spending like 2+ years on the game, they haven't polished much of the game other than how the water looks and the boats sail around in combat.

The player models look nice, but the way they move is animated sloppy and doesn't mesh well with the world. Cookie-cutter towns that are used multiple times, most of the "world map" is just a freebie of open water. Boarding actions are exactly the same no matter what ship you board and quickly become repetitive. Their auction house search options are far too basic, and they lack a bunch of expected slash commands and sending tells is awkward even...

This far along the MMO timeline, I really expected more content, polished features, and common commands.

JediNight on
    edited December 2007
    Hey Grrarg,

Crafting doesn't work like it does in say SWG, where you accumulate Archecture Skill Points, or Weaponsmith skill points.

You basically purchase a warehouse, very much like how you would rent out a lab or factory in EVE. But instead the warehouse doesn't do anything but hold items. Now that you have a warehouse down you can purchase other shops that will output the goods into your warehouse.

This allows for anyone to take a crack at the economy, you don't have to be a Freetrader, you can just buy a warehouse and construct any shop that you want to start using.

Here is a run through. (Spanish ports are all I know atm)

Okay I see that there is a ton of Iron Ingot selling on the AH, I want in on that.

I take a look at the different towns and figure out where I would like to build my iron ingot making business. I check out the f1 help to find out that it takes both Iron Ore and Limestone to create iron ingot. I see that Campeche has Iron Ore and right next door in Sisal there is Limestone. So I go the nearest AH and check it out for the deeds to the three buildings that make all these products.

I buy the deeds (that are created from a player run Draftsman Office) for a forge, iron ore mine, and a limestone quarry. I sail over to campeche and purchase my first warehouse for 322 (around there). I then try to create my iron mine, but I find it takes a bunch of resources to actually create it, luckly all the material is on the campeche AH, so I buy them up and construct my iron mine.

It doesn't really matter where I put my forge, because it doesn't require a resource point, so after some more checking around, Campeche also has a natural harbor, which means that there will be people creating boats in Campeche. Its obvious that I am going to need to haul either limestone or iron ore to where the forge is, but to sell the final product, it would be nice if I didn't have to haul again. So lets put the forge in Campeche, purchased all the materials from the AH and boom.

Then I sail over to Sisal and purchase another warehouse (its now 3322, a thirdware house jumps to 16k) and then buy the materials for my limestone and plop it down.

I now have an iron ingot business with 1 Iron Mine, 1 Forge, and a Limestone Quarry.

Okay then, lets say that Iron Ingot is really selling like hotcakes and I want to up my production. So after taking a look at things, I notice that my iron mine is 50% under utilized. I've got 10 total slots for shops, so lets use them all for an iron mine business. So for every 1 iron mine, I need 2 forges and 2 limestones. So to maximize both the shops and my shop slots, I would need 4 Forges, 2 Iron Mines, and 4 Limestone Quarries, which would give me 240 iron ingots a day, and for what they were selling on the beta AH, the average was 200db an ingot, so that would give me 48k worth of db to play around with each day (not calculating the production costs and taxes of course.)

So thats a basic business right there, it of course gets more complicated when you go up the manufacturing chain.

johnnyonoes on
  • DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Well dag...It seems like everyone here going to Rackam has choosen to play as a pirate. Are there any 'National' societies being established by people here?

I played as a French Freetrader and really enjoyed it, granted it was only to level 10, but I prefer the FT skill layout to the pirates since I would rather focus on the economy side of things. What kind of saddens me a little is how Nationality doesn't really matter other than background music from what I've read.

Decoy on
    edited January 2008
    This information is all for the open beta. No one has declared for release yet. There will probably be several guilds for release. I will be leading the pirate one on a to-be-determined server.

PeasantDave on
  • TheOneWhoStoodUpTheOneWhoStoodUp Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Why not stick with what works? Assuming server names are the same, Pirate guild on Rackham? I just pre-ordered, so if you did as well, I'll most certainly join your Clonkatiliy thingamajig for the "pre-boarding party".

Oh, and don't let my butchery of the name fool you, I approve of it after the explanation given. Most appropriate for a pirate group, I must say.

TheOneWhoStoodUp on
    That's pretty far out, man!
  • HayasaHayasa Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Freetards

Ahahaha

Hayasa on
    fthcav.jpg
    20siy39.jpg
    xcvj1h.jpg
    2lk6t94.jpg
    edited January 2008
    Hey Dave,

If you pick Rackham, I'll pick Morgan for the Spanish Guild

www.jotzweb.com/FF for forumage.

johnnyonoes on
    edited January 2008
    Last time I checked, Morgan is supposed to be the unofficial RP server, so that sounds excellent.

I will go through the server list and see how things are shaping up. Very few guilds had declared the last time I checked. If I don't say anything else, look for me on Rackham.

PeasantDave on
  • TheOneWhoStoodUpTheOneWhoStoodUp Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Sweet. So is your Clonakility group will be RP-friendly or RP-required? I'm happy with either.

TheOneWhoStoodUp on
    That's pretty far out, man!
  • HayasaHayasa Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Well, I just signed up for the US pre-order due to their weirdness about Australian servers, and French on Bonny is my current plan unless I see PA is French elsewhere!

Hayasa on
    fthcav.jpg
    20siy39.jpg
    xcvj1h.jpg
    2lk6t94.jpg
    edited January 2008
    Hayasa, I think I'm the only one who has expressed intrest in playing as French...

I don't have a real reason for it economical (market goods wise), so I'd be open to play as another Nationality.

Decoy on
    edited January 2008
    I still don't have my pre-order key. I am working on remedying that. A couple of my friends will be online tonight, though. So I should be able to relay information through them. We will be playing on Rakham as Pirates.

PeasantDave on
  • Trevor GoodchildTrevor Goodchild Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Did they create the guild for you PeasantDave? or will you be handling that yourself when you make it on?

Trevor Goodchild on
    edited January 2008
    There is no guild yet. I will let everyone know when there is. I don't know if it's possible to transfer guild-leadership in the game, and am hoping to avoid a 2k db experiment that confuses a lot of people. If I have still not received the key this evening I will make sure something gets created.

PeasantDave on
  • Trevor GoodchildTrevor Goodchild Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    No problem, just didn't want to miss out on the off chance there was something up already. Look forward to seeing you on there.

Trevor Goodchild on
  • exisexis Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Hayasa wrote: »
    Well, I just signed up for the US pre-order due to their weirdness about Australian servers, and French on Bonny is my current plan unless I see PA is French elsewhere!
    What's your connection like from Aussie? I'm a kiwi and find myself suddenly procrastinating about getting this. Shitty ping would be enough to turn me away.

exis on
    edited January 2008
    Hey Dave,

Let me know when your guild is up, looking for some pirating action once I hit 20 on my two characters. The guild is up (Spanish on Morgan) and most of the folks (6 people) have already finished gathering the resources for their businesses (thanks to the seeding of products).

Thanks

johnnyonoes on
    edited January 2008
    I'm a complete n00b when it comes to this economy. I've done the tutorial, so I have the basics down like how to find out which ports have which resources, how to setup structures for those resources, and then how they build up "labor time" so you can use them to create things. What I don't fully know yet is things like:

How much items are worth? (What to sell them for since new economy is going to be skewed in the begining)
    What are the most needed items to help jump start my nations economy (whether its deeds or mats)?
    What are some basic/average/complex"production lines"?

I've watched the player chat and from what I've seen it looks like deeds to structures are whats mostly needed right now (limestone, oak, granite were the ones most mentioned during my time playing). So my short term dilemma is do I try and produce these deeds for people, or work on making the mats people need to build the structures. I guess thats really the $64k question.

I know that everything is eventually needed in the process of building a ship, so I guess it'll just take more time and a better feel for the game in order to find my niche.

Decoy on
    edited January 2008
    What I will be doing is factoring in the production costs, and then upping it by 200%. If it sells, up it by another 25% and so on. That way I will get a feel for the prices of each of the products I can create. Even if they don't sell I can give some of them to the society so that they can construct ships.

Just the fact that almost everythign is used and needed, you will eventually find someone that is going to need it.

Don't make too many beans though. Beans are evil.

johnnyonoes on
    edited January 2008
    I have received my code and activated my account. There should be a pirate society created on Rackham by 23:00 EST. I will post all relevant information at that time. Sorry for the delay in getting things going. I hope everyone is as excited as I am.

I stopped by the server forums and it looks like we're playing with a cool group of people. To the people playing already, how do things look so far?

PeasantDave on
    edited January 2008
    Rackham seems to be heavy on Spain, with Pirate and British close behind and French (mine) although small in numbers, doing alright. I'm basing this on who I see sailing around, what I hear in nation chat about the amount of the other nation's ships, and each time I logged in once last nigh the Pirate, British, and Spain populations were all at Moderate while French was at Low.

As far as the quality of the players go, for France on Rackham we have a few standouts who claim they've gotten decent economies built up, so if they are truthful then thats great. Most people are friendly with one another (although it does seem like there are only 25 of us on max at one time since the same names keep popping up in chat). One thing I am bothered by though is because of the anonymousness of the auction house people are price gouging the bejesus out of very simple things only for the sole fact that they can. Seems a bit rude, but A) it's simply supply and demand and B) as French were expected to be rude.

I found decent "leather making" economy, that I'm sure others are copying as well. So tonight should be interesting since I'll have a large amount of labor build up.

Decoy on
    edited January 2008
    I found the AH weird at first, but after I got used to it I found it much easier to use than WoW.

Also, a lot of the people from the forum will be playing Pirate on Rackham or Spanish on Morgan (I think). Rivalry is fine but I just wanted to give you a heads up that you won't be able to play with us on Rackham if you go national. So if you want to change your nation, now is the time.

PeasantDave on
    edited January 2008
    Dave, our group is Spanish on Morgan FYI.

johnnyonoes on
    edited January 2008
    Isn't that what I said...?

Also, The Pirates of Clonakility Bay is officially formed. Send tell to Peasant Dave in game for invite!

PeasantDave on