As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[POTBS] Pirates of the Burning Sea

• Trevor GoodchildTrevor Goodchild Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Anybody from the Pirate society still online?

Trevor Goodchild on
  • PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    If anyone wants an invite just post your character name in this thread and I will get you invited.

Johnny, I will get my Spaniard created on Friday evening I think. He will be my alt so if you have a couple structures you want to sub contract to me just let me know when I get into the society.

PeasantDave on
  • johnnyonoesjohnnyonoes Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Sure no prob, just send John O'Zarien a game mail with your character name and I will send you an invite.
    Isn't that what I said...?
    Spanish on Morgan (I think).

Just reaffirming your statement.

johnnyonoes on
  • Trevor GoodchildTrevor Goodchild Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    If anyone wants an invite just post your character name in this thread and I will get you invited.

You'll find me on there as Oliver La Buse again.

Trevor Goodchild on
  • catalystcatalyst Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    This game is looking more and more enticing as the days go on and I find myself MMORPGless.

Even more enticing is the promise of player housing in future content releases. This would be beyond awesome.

How is this game performing on everyone's systems? I have a Macbook Pro and am concerned I might not be able to run this game very well (in boot camp). Have a Core Duo w/ 2GB memory and an ATI X1600 256mb.

catalyst on
    MainlineSIX.png
    edited January 2008
    jdarksun wrote: »
    What server are you guys on?

We are playing on Rackham as Pirate.

PeasantDave on
    edited January 2008
    Catalyst,

You should be fine with that setup. My gf's hand me down from about 2 years ago runs it pretty well. x800 ATI, 1 gig of ram, single processor.

Now that they have the base game down well (They still have a few hyperthreading issues) it looks like they are going to start adding a bunch of new stuff. Definitly looking forward to it!

johnnyonoes on
  • exisexis Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'll start an alt there. You guys have a ... society, I think it is... yet? Who should I look for?

If you look about 5 posts above you, you'll see your answer.

exis on
    edited January 2008
    I'll start an alt there. You guys have a ... society, I think it is... yet? Who should I look for?

Post your character name in this thread or send a message to "Peasant Dave" in game.

PeasantDave on
  • KupulaKupula Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I read somewhere in here that you can only have charachters of the same faction on one server, but can you have multiple charachters of the same faction on a single server?

Kupula on
    edited January 2008
    You may have multiple characters of the same faction on a single server. However they share a pool of 10 structures.

PeasantDave on
  • tehmarkentehmarken BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Ok, my gf and my roomate are really excited about this, and wondering whether we should try it out or not.

So, from what you guys have played so far, this a fun game?

tehmarken on
  • dojangodojango Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I played around with the beta a bit... the game is OK. The economy is fairly in-depth, and could add an interesting facet to the game, since PvP battles could screw you and your guild over mightily, if you lose control of your major port. The swashbuckling content was a little repetitive, it seemed, as was ship-boarding combat. The ship combat was interesting, but is really, really slow at the lower levels. It picks up once you get a stronger ship then the starting one.

My main concern from the beta was... the loading screen. Every time you enter a town, a building within a town, a ship combat, a personal combat, or switch between the two, you got a short 10-sec loading screen. It got annoying after a while. Especially during the economic tutorial quest... go into the room, go out of the room, go back in, go out, go to the other side of the Caribbean, now come back, etc.

dojango on
    edited January 2008
    I think it's worth it if you like economy, ship, pirates, PvP, strategic combat, generally more mature player base and a laid back/non-raid game. I do not think this game is for you if you like fast paced/twitch action and getting constant numerical upgrades (phat lootz... this isn't really any), or don't like loading screens (actually not that bad with a good video card).

If you guys do decide to play, roll up a pirate on Rackham and post your name here. I'll be sure to get you invited into the guild.

PeasantDave on
  • KupulaKupula Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    You may have multiple characters of the same faction on a single server. However they share a pool of 10 structures.

hm...that kinda stinks. I like the idea of creating a one-man manufacturing empire. It seems like the system is set up so that everyone may dabble in crafting, and no one may specialize.

Kupula on
    edited January 2008
    jdarksun: Invite sent.

Johnny: I probably won't get to roll my alt until this weekend. My life has been pretty hectic.

Anyone else: Post your character name here if you want an invite into the guild. Also please let us know if you are playing British or French on a different server.

PeasantDave on
    edited January 2008
    No prob dude, The society is getting big (13), so I have my hands full atm! : )

johnnyonoes on
  • TremorTremor Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    My Rackham Pirate is Mandolynn Oolong. About level 6 right now.

Tremor on
    TremorPAJoe.jpg
    edited January 2008
    Tremor, invite sent.

PeasantDave on
  • HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Anyone on Bonny? That's the server my society went with. :(

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited January 2008
    Heir wrote: »

What nationality, Heir?

PeasantDave on
  • HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Heir wrote: »

What nationality, Heir?

British. I went with a society call The Soveign Cooperative. Fairly laid back group, most of them are ages 30+ which is nice.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • MugsMugs Registered User new member
    edited January 2008
    This game is great, I can't get enough. Not the best game I've played, but I've been looking for a good pirate game for a long time. This is it.

Mugs on
  • Ondrae OciousOndrae Ocious Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm Ondrae L'Ocious, the French Naval Officer on Bonny

Ondrae Ocious on
    Life is a ____, depending on how you dress her.
  • DiscoZombieDiscoZombie Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    has much changed from open beta or is it pretty much the same build?

DiscoZombie on
  • [Assassination Attempt!][Assassination Attempt!] __BANNED USERS regular
    edited January 2008
    Ok, took me awhile but I'm pretty sold on this game. Game should drop in my local store today or tomorrow. I couldn't convince any of my WoW addict friends to play w/me so I was wondering if I could snag some allies of you people before I create a char.

What server are we on? :P

Oh also, I'm a little concerned about the head-start some people have gotten? How long is it? 1-2 weeks?

...I'm excited! I've read that it's a very uniquely designed game and successfully so.

Tell me your impressions!!

[Assassination Attempt!] on
    mindliberator.png
    edited January 2008
    The bulk of us are playing on Rackham as pirate. Just post your character name in this thread and I'll have someone send you an invite.

I don't think the head-start will be a very big deal, it was only two weeks. If anything it will allow you to enjoy a more stable economy from the get go.

PeasantDave on
    edited January 2008
    The bulk of us are playing on Rackham as pirate. Just post your character name in this thread and I'll have someone send you an invite.

I don't think the head-start will be a very big deal, it was only two weeks. If anything it will allow you to enjoy a more stable economy from the get go.

Alright, see you on the sea later t'day!

(edit) woo that was close, reserved last copy at gamestop just now.

mindliberator.png
    edited January 2008
    I got the game installed, it's rejecting my key. I'm assuming it won't be activate-able until tomorrow?

mindliberator.png
    edited January 2008
    I got the game installed, it's rejecting my key. I'm assuming it won't be activate-able until tomorrow?

I believe that is correct. I think the official launch date is 1/22.

PeasantDave on
  • Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Can anyone give me a good idea of what exactly goes on in this game? I'm sort of interested in trying it, and some stuff (crafting, ship to ship combat) sounds sort of interesting, but I don't have much idea of what the everyday "hey I have an hour or two maybe I'll play some potbs" experience is like.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
    edited January 2008
    I found this review to be very informative.

http://www.whitewolfclan.net/pobs/review.htm

mindliberator.png
  • tehmarkentehmarken BrooklynRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    For clarification, the live game will start tomorrow (tuesday) at 9am PST, or high noon for us east coasters.

tehmarken on
  • ArasakiArasaki Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Downloading so slowwww.

I always enjoyed Pirates! on the PC, hoping this is similar.

Arasaki on
  • SelnerSelner Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Well, according to the main site, this is Live now.

How is it?

I'm considering picking it up, still debating if I really have enough time though.

Selner on
  • cliffskicliffski Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    From what i recall of the beta, its amazingly similar to every other quest-based (go fetch this thing) level grinding MMo currently on sale, albeit with pirates instead of orcs.
    It also had very bad avatar combat. Comparisons to eve online are laughable

cliffski on
  • ArasakiArasaki Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    cliffski wrote: »
    From what i recall of the beta, its amazingly similar to every other quest-based (go fetch this thing) level grinding MMo currently on sale, albeit with pirates instead of orcs.
    It also had very bad avatar combat. Comparisons to eve online are laughable

That would be because Eve Online does not have avatar combat.

Personally, I am enjoying this game. I haven't played it a massive amount (stupid WoW raids) but what I have seen is fun, and it has a different feel to other MMO's I have played. It's probably one of the few I'll actually play for a while.

Arasaki on
  • TremorTremor Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    cliffski wrote: »
    Comparisons to eve online are laughable
    So name another game out there with a player-made economy.

It's actually a very apt comparison, except EVE has no quests and is boring as hell.

SWG before it went to hell.

Tremor on
    TremorPAJoe.jpg
  • tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Yeah, but that's not out there anymore.

tyrannus on
  • YallYall Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm also considering getting this. Now that it is live are you guys on the same server? Are you using vent/TS to com? Does it even make sense to do that, re: does the game lend itself to co-op team type play, or is it more of a solo grinder?

Yall on