As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Free MMO Überlist (updated: Oct 11)

• Options
    JohannenJohannen Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    True, I really can't find a free MMO that suits me though. They all seem to be too heavily grind based or just boring.

Johannen on
  • Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Johannen wrote: »
    True, I really can't find a free MMO that suits me though. They all seem to be too heavily grind based or just boring.
    Did you try Lunia? Or Sword of the New World?

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Not yet, are either of them any good? I like character development a lot.

Johannen on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Not yet, are either of them any good? I like character development a lot.
    I enjoy both of them. Lunia offers beat-em-up mechanics, a shitton of items and you can distribute your skills yourself. It's just fun to kick the shit out of some trolls in that game.

SotNW is another odd bird in that you control 3 characters at the same time, I haven't gotten far in it, but it seems like you get to finetune your party to the max, you can even unlock extra characters through quests, to fill in even odder roles.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Thanks Aldo, Ill give Lunia a try and i'll take a shot at summer of solstice as well.

Johannen on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Solstice is your standard grind-mmo-fair, just fyi.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Yeah? Well.... balls to it. Lunia it is then.

Johannen on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    As a sort of philosophy I tend to be more forgiving to grinding in free MMOs than in pay to play MMOs, after all: making your players do the same thing over and over is a lot cheaper than coming up with new content every now and again.

Still not an excuse to have boring combat, though.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Aldo wrote: »
    As a sort of philosophy I tend to be more forgiving to grinding in free MMOs than in pay to play MMOs, after all: making your players do the same thing over and over is a lot cheaper than coming up with new content every now and again.

One thing I do hate about a lot of these "free" MMO's though is the fact that you have to pay with real money if you want to buy the better items in them.

Johannen on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

One thing I do hate about a lot of these "free" MMO's though is the fact that you have to pay with real money if you want to buy the better items in them.

You know, I never get far enough in to want those things, I think the moment I do want to do that I'd have had so much fun with the game that they deserve some of my money.

I would have given my money to Lunia, but they keep giving out cash shop items through (admittedly very grinding) quests, so I don't need to.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited June 2008

You know, I never get far enough in to want those things, I think the moment I do want to do that I'd have had so much fun with the game that they deserve some of my money.

I would have given my money to Lunia, but they keep giving out cash shop items through (admittedly very grinding) quests, so I don't need to.

Fair enough, once i've installed it i'll go and try to get on your server to maybe say hallo or something.

Johannen on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Fair enough, once i've installed it i'll go and try to get on your server to maybe say hallo or something.
    There's only one server, but it's kind of a bitch to meet up with someone. I'm also very busy.

and no there's no PM system.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    There's only one server, but it's kind of a bitch to meet up with someone. I'm also very busy.

and no there's no PM system.

That's o.k, it's not a big deal Aldo lol.

I'm just going to be playing it until I get a job. Weird that there isn't a PM system.

Johannen on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Bounty Bay Online
    Free to play or monthly subscription
    A game set in the age of sailing. It used to be pay to play only, but recently a Free to Play server got released. The game is in full 3D and has a heavy focus on naval combat. No idea about the actual fun you can have in the game, but a game where you can yell "yarr" without feeling out of place is always good, right? (right?)

Game was released summer last year, does anyone know if it was enjoyable?

Aldo on
  • Options
    JamesDMJamesDM Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Bounty Bay Online
    A game set in the age of sailing. It used to be pay to play only, but recently a Free to Play server got released. The game is in full 3D and has a heavy focus on naval combat. No idea about the actual fun you can have in the game, but a game where you can yell "yarr" without feeling out of place is always good, right? (right?)

I think this is on the same engine as Voyage Century, if so it will be pretty easy for anyone to run. If it expands upon VC at all then it is probably a pretty good game as VC was alot of fun.

*EDIT* I just tried BBO and can confirm that it is infact the same thing as Voyage Century, not just built on the same engine...

JamesDM on
    If you have any complaints about this poster then feel free to: Иди на хуй, Сучьи :D

Steam, PSN, XBL, Xfire and everything else JamesDM
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    JamesDM wrote: »
    Bounty Bay Online

I think this is on the same engine as Voyage Century, if so it will be pretty easy for anyone to run. If it expands upon VC at all then it is probably a pretty good game as VC was alot of fun.

*EDIT* I just tried BBO and can confirm that it is infact the same thing as Voyage Century, not just built on the same engine...
    Voyage Century vaguely rings a bell.

Aldo on
  • Options
    KajustaKajusta Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So I just reinstalled RF Online to give it another whirl.

Thinking of going Bellato, and seeing if I can get high enough to get one of those MAUs.

Also, I fucking hate launchers with background music in them. That shit is annoying.

:whistle:When I saw you for the first time
    I knew you were the one
    You didn’t say a word to me
    But love was in the air:whistle:

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • Options
    Asamof the HorribleAsamof the Horrible Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Kajusta wrote: »
    So I just reinstalled RF Online to give it another whirl.

Thinking of going Bellato, and seeing if I can get high enough to get one of those MAUs.

Also, I fucking hate launchers with background music in them. That shit is annoying.

:whistle:When I saw you for the first time
    I knew you were the one
    You didn’t say a word to me
    But love was in the air:whistle:

oh hell no. don't remind me of that again. EVER AGAIN.

Asamof the Horrible on
  • Options
    SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I betad Phoenix Dynasty Online and for what it is it's actually a decent MMO.

A word of warning- It's from Ingle Games which is a branch of TQ. So don't be expecting competent customer service.

There's 4 classes, paladin, wizard, assassin, and priest but there's a twist, you choose your 2 elements Major, which gives you more bonuses (except fire) and full skill access for that element, and minor which gives you basic elemental skill and a slightly less bonus(wood= more hp per level, fire= more speed [1 time bonus] metal= attack bonus per level, water= more mana per level earth= more defense per level) making a decent amount of variables. And most of them are actually balanced (some didn't have skills that worked during Beta so we didn't get to test those)

Assassin is your middle man, good damage good range good set of AoE skills, burns through mana like crazy though if you want stuff dead super fast and has moderate hp.

Priest is your healer, but with a twist, priest can summon avatars to draw aggro from monsters, effectively giving the priest a tank, low hp and low defense though.

Paladins are the tankers, high hp, high defense but low damage and moderate mana

Wizards are you "kills shit dead" class, high damage, high mana, lots of aoe and ranged skills but gets shredded like paper if they aren't careful.

It has over 500 quest, mostly fetch of course but some interesting story and side stuff, like all mmos.

You actually make your own gear, animals drop skins (white=basic, blue= better, green= best, during beta anyway they may have added to it) and you craft from a selected skill. Jewelry is necklaces and rings, necklaces give mana bonuses and rings give hp bonuses. Armor crafting is helmets and boots, Leather working is gloves and armor and Weaponsmith is of course weapons. You have to level these skills to make better gear but you can set up a stall and let people use it, as long as you have the stamina and your hammer is in good condition, to make stuff for a fee you set.

Another interesting feature is that, outside of the noob town, only humanoid enemies drop gold and weapons (human bosses can drop set craft items) and only monster enemies drop craft items.

You can buy "quest scrolls" which let you hunt monsters for exp and reputation which isn't all that important besides using mounts. Mounts are ok and only really useful for travel.

Very teamwork orientated, I soloed after beta with my metal assassin a lot but it was definitely tough.

Many interesting monster designs too.

Huge, huge maps with lots of quest on almost every one.

That's about it, if it had better service I'd still be playing it but if you want something to try out it's worth it.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Updated info on Navy Field and Saga, added Phoenix Destiny thingy. It looks pretty horrible, I must say.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Updated info on Navy Field and Saga, added Phoenix Destiny thingy. It looks pretty horrible, I must say.

Eh it's ok it's got more content than the other free mmos I've betad/played, and it does use that old ass "3d models on 2d plain" thing.

Like I said though it's a TQ branch so don't expect any customer service.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    SkutSkut wrote: »
    phoenixdynastyonlinegoljy7.jpg

o_O

Glal on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Glal wrote: »

o_O

I saw that too and it weirded me out as well. :P

Aldo on
  • Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Given zanmatto's review, I think I will try out Trickster. Looks cute, which is better than MapleStory can say.

Mortal Sky on
  • Options
    LostLost Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I just rolled a thief in Lunia, if anyone wants to find me. Name is ParadiseLost

Lost on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I'm trying out WOrld of Kung Fu at the moment.

It's very Hero-online ish, but it does everything Hero Online did except 3 times better.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Glal wrote: »

o_O

I saw that too and it weirded me out as well. :P

That's something new. rofl, that's definitely...something alright.

SkutSkut on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    What? Gold, chicks and ... some doll in blue PJs, that's exactly what the demographic wants. I mean, duh. :P

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Aww chea.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • Options
    DisDis Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Thursday June 19, at 9pm PDT
    REQUIEM will be live
    http://www.playrequiem.com/

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Asamof the HorribleAsamof the Horrible Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I thought requiem was already out. From what I played it seemed sorta lousy

Asamof the Horrible on
  • Options
    DisDis Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I thought requiem was already out. From what I played it seemed sorta lousy

That's Open Beta...
    It's official LIVE now...

Level Cap Raised

* The level cap has been increased from Level 59 to Level 69. - New Items for Highest Level User
    * New items for level 60 to 69 have been added including new armor sets.

New Maps

North Hammerine Wood

* The North Hammerine Wood was once a lush and flourishing forest. Now trees contaminated by the Thanatos Tragedy have overtaken the North Hammerine Wood, reducing the region into a wasteland of monsters and endless flames.
    * North Hammerine Wood is designed for the high-end players level 60+. And, compared to the existing fields, nightmare monsters are more rampant. In particular, the fields around the Zauber Village, where Nach’s eye exist, are on almost 24 hour-nightmare-mode. So, stay sharp and tread lightly.

New Instance Dungeon ‘Secret Lab’ in the Ancient Temple

* Secret Lab is located the deep inside the heart of the Ancient Temple in Parness. Brutal and secret experiments were conducted in the holy land of Xenon in days past, but are the Secret Lab still active?
    * The secret lab is designed for plays Level 40+
    * Great treasure and vast amounts experience await you inside.

New Raid Monster ‘Biskra’

* Following RuinHorn, a new field raid boss monster Biskra, King of the Sea, has been spotted near the shores of South Hammerine Woods.
    * A large Alliance of characters Level 60+ will be needed to defeat Biskra.
    * Biskra presents an immense challenge but not without great rewards.

Raid Changes?

* Raid Monster "Ruinhorn" moved to Instant Dungeon Ruinhorn Lair.?

Mounts: REX

* A new means of transportation, REX, has been added. REX helps players move over long distances faster.
    * REX can be obtained via quest and will be stored in your bag. It will be able to travel with you anywhere.
    * REX can only be used when out of combat. If attacked while REX is activated, this can cause player to be dismounted.
    * Speeds defer depending REX type.

System Changes

* Quick slot icons are stored on the Character Info
    * Character select list is now in Created in order rather than level order.
    * Critical Damage now applies on Skill usage if the skill hit crits.
    * HP does not regenerate naturaly during combat.
    * Battlefield requirements lowered from 32x32 to 24x24.
    * Corrected Magic and Attack Power to display proper values

Job Change from Temperion

* Level 9 exp cap (100%) is removed.? Temperions can continue to level as non-classed to very high levels.
    * Temperion Skills are gained via quest rather than purchase.
    * Temperion Skills consume 90% previous MP.
    * Rondel Village Talk to Temperon "DNA Manager Damon" to job change.
    * Kurt Village Talk to Temperion "DNA Manager Zio" to job change.

Dis on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Dis wrote: »
    Thursday June 19, at 9pm PDT
    REQUIEM will be live
    http://www.playrequiem.com/
    Duly noted.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    In reference to the new requiem update..

* REX can only be used when out of combat. If attacked while REX is activated, this can cause player to be dismounted.

^This look particularly annoying, I can just imagine running across the map and having to stop every couple minutes because you aggro'd something.

JamesDM on
    If you have any complaints about this poster then feel free to: Иди на хуй, Сучьи :D

• Options
    citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I haven't tried it yet, but I was reading a little about Dreamlords: The Awakening, and I might give it a shot. Anyone have experience with it? Looks like an MMORTS/RPG that resets every couple of months, letting you keep certain upgrades but starting over again in terms of progress? I dunno.

http://www.dreamlords.com/home.action

You have reached Dreamlords community site.
    Dreamlords is a massively multiplayer game that combines the accessibility of a web game with RPG character development, RTS battles and long term tactical strategy.

Players assume the role of the mystical Dreamlords, magical entities that spawn from the nightmares of the Dreamer himself. The Dreamer is the centre core of the universe, fuelling all things with the power of life, the gnosis, the focused attention of the Dreamer. Although Dreamlords may empower forceful methods on its subjects their presence are always welcome as they have the power to provide goals and guidance for a fragmented piece of the tired old world. These pieces of lands, home to hardened populations of survivors controlled by a Dreamlord are known as Patrias, the fatherland. The success of each patria is totally depending on the capability of its Dreamlord. The war is on, the war for existence.

14.jpg

7.jpg

1.jpg

citizen059 on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I think there was a thread a little while back.

Or a few posts, or something.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    I didn't like requiem.

it looked too much like a free korean mmo

on the plus side, it would probably be easy for them to port it to the PS1

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    Bruce ForsythBruce Forsyth Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Out of boredom, I downloaded Phoenix Dynasty Online. I've only played for about a half hour, but I think this picture is the most accurate representation of my experience.
    pdoif8.jpg

Bruce Forsyth on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Oh, i didn't know Dreamlords was actually real.

Added it to the list, people should play it, it sounds so very promising.

*edit: nothing says "I love you" like ordering a stranger to kill a kazillion wild bulls.

Aldo on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Exin wrote: »
    Out of boredom, I downloaded Phoenix Dynasty Online. I've only played for about a half hour, but I think this picture is the most accurate representation of my experience.
    http://img363.imageshack.us/img363/2637/pdoif8.jpg

Wow... I have seen some interesting quests in my time but that one seems like a bit of a stretch.

On the upside, I now know how to declare my love while filling my lust for bull blood?

JamesDM on

This discussion has been closed.