As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Free MMO Überlist (updated: Oct 11)

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The control scheme is HORRIBLE. I can't stand that MMOs do not put more effort into the standardizing the control schemes.

WoW has spoiled me.. damnit.
    Selecting things is kinda slow, but I thought it was rather intuitive?

Eh, I've made my Perfect World thread, maybe I can get some others interested as well.

Aldo on
  • Mr.BrickMr.Brick Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Getting the MMO itch. Downloading Perfect World right now. I want to kill furys.

Mr.Brick on
    pew pew pew
  • Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I guess shadowbane just had a full Pwipe so I think Im gonna give it another chance, seeing as I've forgotten what I hated about it last time I played, I remember the PvP being solid

edit: ahh yes, now that I re-downloaded the client it's become clear, the lag is actually worse than it used to be, fuck shadowbane

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I fired it up again after a year and realized I'd forgotten the game was click-to-move.

:|

Glal on
  • Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Glal wrote: »
    I fired it up again after a year and realized I'd forgotten the game was click-to-move.

:|

Yeah I'm pretty much lost in this interface all over again but some stuff is coming back

Anyone else cares I'm Fleck the vampire Thief on the Test server

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    CABAL Online is very stylish and very strange.

Behold:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gONQVuR98TE

Liquid Ghost on
    edited February 2008
    CABAL Online is very stylish and very strange.

Behold:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gONQVuR98TE
    All the < 300 hits are from auto-attack. What you see is someone with a high-lev character clicking once on the mob and letting auto-attack take care of business. Only the jumps and the aoe-attacks are special attacks.

Pretty much the whole game is like this, taking your character out in the wilderness and selecting mobs for your character to rip through in a shiny way. I got bored with it after a few days.

Aldo on
  • Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I like the idea of gaining XP every time I deal damage instead of after I kill a mob, but I can see this getting pretty dull.

Liquid Ghost on
    edited February 2008
    I like the idea of gaining XP every time I deal damage instead of after I kill a mob, but I can see this getting pretty dull.
    Absolutely, that was nice and that is why I played for a few days. But eventually it just gets boring.

Aldo on
  • jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Any PA:rs play www.thewrestlinggame.com ?

It's a nice free browser/timer/text based wrestling simulator mmorpg.
    I've been playing since christmas and I'm still entertained by it.

jammu on
    Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Lunia has gone from beta to released status. There was a thread on it some time ago here, and while it's not a "full time" type of MMO, it's a pretty fun "casual" game for sure.

http://lunia.12foottall.com

For those who don't remember, this is the isometric action-game beat 'em up MMO, gameplay reminiscent of arcade style "team up" fighters like the TMNT games.

img_gal5_L.jpg

citizen059 on
  • HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The websites for these Asian games always look better than the games themselves.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
    edited February 2008
    Oh? Is it actually out now? I've been getting mail after mail from 12ft tall over the past few weeks and I have an account and got my character transferred (healer girl representin'!), but I hadn't realised it was actually available. ^^

Aldo on
  • sidhaethesidhaethe Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I didn't notice any entries for Zu Online or Mabinogi. Anybody playing either of these games? I haven't had much experience with Zu, but the cel-shaded graphics were a nice change from the MMOs I'm used to, and the scenery could be quite lovely. Nice touches include clicking on any NPC on the map and having the game auto-path you directly to it. Oh, and loads of XP for completing quests. There are some 300 levels, however, so even when you're levelling quickly, you're... not levelling quickly.

sidhaethe on
    edited February 2008
    I haven't tried either of them, but they both sound somewhat decent. Their websites aren't sharing a lot of information, though. That usually means they're just another free grind MMO. The fast combat and nice graphics already make it better than most other free games.

Plus, Zu has asdw-support.

Aldo on
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    You can now add The Sims Online to the list of free MMO's.

http://ea-land.ea.com/index.php
    I would like to introduce you to EA-Land, a world that is free-to-play, and based on a re-engineered The Sims Online architecture. Yes, free.

If you played The Sims Online before, we have played together and I would like you to rejoin us in the game: My avatar is MaxisLuc (yes, I work for Maxis/EA). At the beginning of last year I assembled a team to improve The Sims Online. After months of ongoing hard work, we can say proudly that we have been successful and we have made this game fun again!

Former Members Of The Sims Online: You can come back for FREE right now by just downloading the game and REACTIVATING your account. If you do so before March 2008, you will get your earned 'account based' privileges back (gifts, skill locks etc...) when we run our 'amnesty' program. So make sure you are in game before that event!

New to EA-Land and The Sims Online:Sign up for free!

The Sims Online (TSO) was made of 12 different cities (AlphaVille, Blazing Falls, etc..) and we are moving all of those cities inside EA-Land (this is called 'the merge' by the users!). We have a huge new map: it is 100 times bigger than the previous size of any city. We had to add a whole new zoom level to let users see it. The internet is faster now than when TSO was launched, so we have been able to let each house have more simultaneous visitors. A lot of new users are constantly joining us and we expect more. If you played TSO before, I think that you ought to own your lot in this new land, and I want you to have the ability to grab the best location before we open the gates. As an EA-Land subscriber, you will be able to have several Sims in the same "city" unlike in TSO where you were limited to one Sim per city.

We have a blog where we explain all the things we are working on and the events we are running in the game. We also have a very active wiki web site, named "Game Blueprints", managed by the community where you can work with others to design the game. We have already implemented many features designed by the users! The stratics forum community continues to be very active.

We have made some big changes already to the game, and many more are coming over the next few months. It is difficult to say which ones of the recent changes are the most important as users have different reasons to play the game, but let me tell you about the changes that I particularly like:

Users have now the ability to upload custom content. Like in the original Sims game, the goal is to let you customize the game completely, but in EA-Land you can see and buy the customizations of the other players! Players have already uploaded several thousands pieces of custom content. I suspect that by some time this year, all of the content of the game will have been replaced many times over by custom content. We started with the ability to upload bitmaps (easiest for the new creative users), then moved on to chairs and sculptures. You can now make your own portraits in the game and "skin" objects like in Sims2 but using your own images. Because we are approving all of the content, this user content is safe to be viewed by everyone! We are working with the main user web sites that have been providing custom content to the Sims users for years (e.g. http://www.TheSimsResource.com) to make sure that their content will be made available in the game.

We heard from the community that the economy was broken in TSO. That was true, too many users were billionaires, and the goal of the game was mostly about extracting money from Maxis. I can now say with satisfaction that we have fixed the economy on EA-Land. This took many features, from establishing a real estate market, where users can easily buy or sell lots to one another, and a dynamic object pricing market where the prices of objects purchased from maxis is based on supply and demand, enabling stores and entrepreneurs to earn a living. We also enabled users to buy simoleans directly from Maxis. While there is no need for users to do so in the game (we give subscribers simoleans every week), it can help new users build their dream house faster with a simple paypal transaction secured by us.

The internet has changed so much since the launch of The Sims Online in December 2002, we had to change the way we think about online games. We have opened the access to most of the in game information to the internet through web services. For example this enables you to add Google or Yahoo widgets to your computer (or iPhone! ) and see if your favorite lots or friends are online.

We are providing you with privacy settings so you can decide if or which of your avatar will broadcast what information to the internet. Sims User web sites are already using this feature to create some amazing community sites. We also built avatarbook, to show how that information can be seen and connected to social web sites like Facebook (login to face book and add the "avatarbook" application.
    You can search MaxisLuc for example: http://apps.facebook.com/avatarbook )

And there's more to come! We are looking forward to seeing you in the game and having fun with us!

Sincerely

Luc Barthelet,
    "MaxisLuc"

citizen059 on
    edited February 2008
    Hah, interesting.

That site looks eye-raping, though. x_x

Aldo on
  • Nimble CatNimble Cat Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I can't get The Sims Online. It lets me download a small file when I click the 1.5 gig link and that just installs the patcher.

Nimble Cat on
  • veritas1veritas1 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Do you still want reviews for these games? I've tried out 9dragons, Rubies of Eventide, and Rappelz and can probably write a quick review for each of them if you want.

veritas1 on
    edited February 2008
    veritas1 wrote: »
    Do you still want reviews for these games? I've tried out 9dragons, Rubies of Eventide, and Rappelz and can probably write a quick review for each of them if you want.
    Your sig is fantastic.

And yes please. I've still got a lot of room for them and it's good to read some honest opinions on these games. There's a lot of "lol korea grindy grindy engrish m i rite" and "wow! it doesn't cost money, that's interesting!" while it would be a lot more interesting to read some decent reviews instead.

Aldo on
    edited February 2008
    Thanks, sig was seen on a billboard... the Bloodrayne ad was peeling. :P I'd probably pay to see a Cosbyrayne. :(

Ok here's a quick review of Rubies of Eventide (stealing JamesDM's formatting):
    Rubies of Eventide

Race/Class/Level: Indis Druid Level 25 (3-4 weeks of play, I was very desperate at the time)
    Rating: * out of 5

Player Base: Low / very low. It's really low because there's really only 4-5 zones anyways. If you did a who you'd only see about 100 people playing tops. The player base consists of people who for some reason are FANATICAL about the game, and have been playing for ages, or people who got tricked into trying it because it's free. The latter probably leave immediately. It's very easy to find groups because there is such a limited amount of things you can actually do.

Storyline: I can't even confirm the existance of a storyline. You start out in a training camp of sorts with a few guys who try to poorly teach you the mechanics of the game. Then you're pushed out the door and wander over to the nearby town where you can pick up quests and so on. Not really sure why you do these things though.

Graphics: Bad. I'm trying to think of a game for comparison, but I really can't. Poorly textured, shitty blocky 3D models. They're running on an ancient Lithtech engine I believe. It's very bland-looking. The zones are basically flat terrain. This screenshot explains it better than I ever could (yea I guess that thing in front of the guy is supposed to be an Ent... hahahahaha).
    rubiesofeventide.jpg

Gameplay: Combat is probably the most atrocious system I have ever encountered in any game ever, EVER. You run around fine until you attack something / attract aggro by being to close. Then it switches over to some sort of bizarro pseudo-turn-based system within a certain radius. This will also aggro all other mobs within the radius. Mobs not aggroed who walk into the radius will then join into combat. Then you press buttons to do your crap and things die (probably you). It's actually far far worse than I can do it justice in words. It's confusing, hard to grasp and terribly unpleasant.

Fun: It amazes me that this game garners the love it does from it's hardcore fans. It's not fun at all, it's difficult to get into and looks like shit. The learning curve is so steep that the fans defend it by saying that the community is so helpful that you can just ask for help. This is true. The community is very helpful.

Bugs: Tons of bugs. 50% chance of crashing when zoning to a new zone which takes ages on any computer. Plenty of crashing going on. The game is never updated, with patches coming "next Tuesday". It's no surprise, since it's a fan-run game. The one coder probably barely touches the game at all.

Summary: Just no. Bad graphics, bad gameplay, no story, steep learning curve. Helpful community! Yay!

veritas1 on
    edited February 2008
    Thanks, sig was seen on a billboard... the Bloodrayne ad was peeling. :P I'd probably pay to see a Cosbyrayne. :(

Ok here's a quick review of Rubies of Eventide (stealing JamesDM's formatting):
    Rubies of Eventide

Race/Class/Level: Indis Druid Level 25 (3-4 weeks of play, I was very desperate at the time)
    Rating: * out of 5

Player Base: Low / very low. It's really low because there's really only 4-5 zones anyways. If you did a who you'd only see about 100 people playing tops. The player base consists of people who for some reason are FANATICAL about the game, and have been playing for ages, or people who got tricked into trying it because it's free. The latter probably leave immediately. It's very easy to find groups because there is such a limited amount of things you can actually do.

Storyline: I can't even confirm the existance of a storyline. You start out in a training camp of sorts with a few guys who try to poorly teach you the mechanics of the game. Then you're pushed out the door and wander over to the nearby town where you can pick up quests and so on. Not really sure why you do these things though.

Graphics: Bad. I'm trying to think of a game for comparison, but I really can't. Poorly textured, shitty blocky 3D models. They're running on an ancient Lithtech engine I believe. It's very bland-looking. The zones are basically flat terrain. This screenshot explains it better than I ever could (yea I guess that thing in front of the guy is supposed to be an Ent... hahahahaha).
    http://www.gameogre.com/rubiesofeventide.jpg

Gameplay: Combat is probably the most atrocious system I have ever encountered in any game ever, EVER. You run around fine until you attack something / attract aggro by being to close. Then it switches over to some sort of bizarro pseudo-turn-based system within a certain radius. This will also aggro all other mobs within the radius. Mobs not aggroed who walk into the radius will then join into combat. Then you press buttons to do your crap and things die (probably you). It's actually far far worse than I can do it justice in words. It's confusing, hard to grasp and terribly unpleasant.

Fun: It amazes me that this game garners the love it does from it's hardcore fans. It's not fun at all, it's difficult to get into and looks like shit. The learning curve is so steep that the fans defend it by saying that the community is so helpful that you can just ask for help. This is true. The community is very helpful.

Bugs: Tons of bugs. 50% chance of crashing when zoning to a new zone which takes ages on any computer. Plenty of crashing going on. The game is never updated, with patches coming "next Tuesday". It's no surprise, since it's a fan-run game. The one coder probably barely touches the game at all.

Summary: Just no. Bad graphics, bad gameplay, no story, steep learning curve. Helpful community! Yay!

Thanks. Hopefully you had more fun with one of the other games.

I've changed the picture to a link, I want to keep the loading time of the OP as short as possible. :

Aldo on
    edited February 2008
    Yea, well, it doesn't get much worse than that one. Keep in mind that this was a 4 or so years back. I doubt the game has changed much though.

I'll do Rappelz now.
    Rappelz

Race/Class/Level: Janus Level 20ish Asura Cleric
    Rating: *** out of 5

Player Base: Medium to High. Tons of people in towns selling things. Lots of people out in the noob zones, but there's plenty of creatures so it isn't much of an issue.

Storyline: Story doesn't really have a large role in this game. As far as I can tell they throw you in there. There's a tiny blurb of story on the main website.

Graphics: Quite good. Very anime inspired characters. Pretty sweet-looking armour and weaponry. Super slutty armour for the females. Nice effects and animations. Terrain and monsters are all passable. Example: http://rappelz.gpotato.com/images/screenshot/screenshot04.jpg

Gameplay: Pretty much a lot of questing that involves killing many of the same monster with slightly different names. ie. Raging Hawks and Angry Hawks. It's fairly grindy. Combat has lots of flashy effects and is pretty fast. You get warped around a lot to different areas, so that can be kind of confusing at first. The classes with pets have an enormous amount of pet options available to them.

Fun: Fun for a few weeks at least. There's plenty of class and race combinations to try out and fighting things is decent. They give you a mount very early on (I can't remember, but maybe even as early as level 10), which is awesome. Every game should do this.

Bugs: Didn't encounter any. Lag slowdown in populated areas can be very bad.

Summary: It's decent. Play with friends because most other people will be involved in their own affairs. It's easy to get into and looks pretty. Most people will get sick of the grind after a while though.

veritas1 on
    edited February 2008
    Yea, well, it doesn't get much worse than that one. Keep in mind that this was a 4 or so years back. I doubt the game has changed much though.

I'll do Rappelz now.
    Rappelz

Race/Class/Level: Janus Level 20ish Asura Cleric
    Rating: *** out of 5

Player Base: Medium to High. Tons of people in towns selling things. Lots of people out in the noob zones, but there's plenty of creatures so it isn't much of an issue.

Storyline: Story doesn't really have a large role in this game. As far as I can tell they throw you in there. There's a tiny blurb of story on the main website.

Graphics: Quite good. Very anime inspired characters. Pretty sweet-looking armour and weaponry. Super slutty armour for the females. Nice effects and animations. Terrain and monsters are all passable. Example: http://rappelz.gpotato.com/images/screenshot/screenshot04.jpg

Gameplay: Pretty much a lot of questing that involves killing many of the same monster with slightly different names. ie. Raging Hawks and Angry Hawks. It's fairly grindy. Combat has lots of flashy effects and is pretty fast. You get warped around a lot to different areas, so that can be kind of confusing at first. The classes with pets have an enormous amount of pet options available to them.

Fun: Fun for a few weeks at least. There's plenty of class and race combinations to try out and fighting things is decent. They give you a mount very early on (I can't remember, but maybe even as early as level 10), which is awesome. Every game should do this.

Bugs: Didn't encounter any. Lag slowdown in populated areas can be very bad.

Summary: It's decent. Play with friends because most other people will be involved in their own affairs. It's easy to get into and looks pretty. Most people will get sick of the grind after a while though.

I couldn't stand Rappelz in open beta. I tried it for a little while, but it wasn't rewarding for me to pay attention to what my little toon was doing. It didn't help that the Engrish was almost worst than in Perfect World.

Aldo on
    edited February 2008
    I gotta admit I didn't play it for all that long. But it's a semi-decent grind MMO. The grind really killed it for me though. I guess some people like it?

I definitely gotta try this Perfect World.

veritas1 on
  • GrimCalaveraGrimCalavera Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Anybody playing Requiem? I just downloaded and installed it because I'm a sucker for any game that has the word "horror" in the description. It would be nice to hear what any PAers think of it, and if it's worthwhile maybe group up.

http://www.playrequiem.com/

Closed beta, not exactly sure how you can get in other than being a FilePlanet subscriber. If closed betas don't count as free then ignore this post.

GrimCalavera on
    There is a moment of sheer panic...
    edited February 2008
    Anybody playing Requiem? I just downloaded and installed it because I'm a sucker for any game that has the word "horror" in the description. It would be nice to hear what any PAers think of it, and if it's worthwhile maybe group up.

http://www.playrequiem.com/

Closed beta, not exactly sure how you can get in other than being a FilePlanet subscriber. If closed betas don't count as free then ignore this post.
    If this is for an eventual Pay to play game then I'm not going to add it to the list. Closed betas aren't exactly games as much as they are a way to employ volunteers to catch bugs.

Aldo on
  • devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    http://www.mmorpg.com/betas/requiem_beta.cfm

If you want a beta key, there are about 4500 left by signing up for a free mmorpg.com account.

devoir on
    edited February 2008
    Right, P2P it seems. Otherwise they wouldn't do it through those sites.

Aldo on
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    devoir wrote: »
    http://www.mmorpg.com/betas/requiem_beta.cfm

If you want a beta key, there are about 4500 left by signing up for a free mmorpg.com account.

well I'm downloading the client from FP (well, in line to), so I'll check it out in a bit. looks bloody. but it also looks like korean grindfest #12841 so I shall see

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
    edited February 2008
    Aldo wrote: »
    Right, P2P it seems. Otherwise they wouldn't do it through those sites.

Requiem was being promo'd as an optional microtransaction game at GDC.

devoir on
    edited February 2008
    devoir wrote: »
    Requiem was being promo'd as an optional microtransaction game at GDC.
    Ah, in that case I'll toss it in with the promising titles.

Aldo on
    edited February 2008
    microtransaction games are fail though.

throw it in with the fail games

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    edited February 2008
    Wren wrote: »
    microtransaction games are fail though.

throw it in with the fail games
    Don't knock it before you try it. :3

Aldo on
    edited February 2008
    well I'm about to

but I'm optimistically unenthusiastic

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    edited February 2008
    That's usually the wrong way to go into a free MMO. :P

Aldo on
    edited February 2008
    models are nice and all but the environments are an atrocity. reminds me of shadowbane.

also I'm not feeling the horror vibe. monsters are kinda creepy looking I guess, but its not too terrifying when you're chopping them down en masse. the music is pretty much non-existent and combined with the boring surroundings, yeh.. not horror not spooky and not even creepy.

combat is standard fare, nothing really wrong with it. loot dropping on the ground is pretty annoying though.

the only "unique" element of requiem is its excessive blood, at least compared to any mmo's I've ever played. death animations include severed heads and limbs and some enemies will have death throes and spasms. corpses and body parts will also roll down hills. enemies and your character will also get more and more bloodied as their HP goes down. I have some pics of this.. hold on
    req2.jpg

although I rarely notice myself as such. I wish being bloodied was more of a momentum thing, as in kill more enemies in rapid succession and get more covered in blood (and get more xp or something too, like TRs kill combo'n)

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
  • maraxus94maraxus94 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Well I am really enjoying Requiem. To customize your character more you can alter your characters dna. With specific sequences of dna you can get secret bonuses to your stats.

At level 20 you get the ability to use Possession Beasts. You turn into a giant monster thing for a minute or two after a bar fills up, there are apparently several different monsters you can turn into. I am liking it, its a nice free MMO.

I am even liking it more than Perfect World, just because I feel that Requiem has a bit more of an atmosphere about it.

maraxus94 on
    edited March 2008
    Can someone give me a quick rundown on what they did from from say level 5 to 20? I'm lost, I have no idea where to buy shit, I've run around the city and am not really feeling this. Which is strange, because usually a grindy Korean game will last me a couple of weeks.

devoir on
    edited March 2008
    "input cash here in this slot to increase stats" is not a new feature for mmos. more stats doesn't really change the fact that the game is poop

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
This discussion has been closed.