As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Finishing the Final Finale

DocabarDocabar Registered User regular
edited November 2007 in Games and Technology
Endings! Specifically, endings of games.

(Spoilers are safe, but If you really need to know...
MarioBros
Legend of Zelda

MGS2
Super Metroid
HL2
SH2

MGS
RE4

Kirby
DonkeyKong Country

Grim Fandango (Box art)

Portal
FF7
RE Zer0
Kotor II
Aladdin
SH2)

Text!
mariobros-2.gif
3.gif

Surprises!
mgs2_150_930.jpg
smetroid2.jpg
breen_negative.jpg
screenshot_172472.jpg

Escapes!
mgsmeryl-03.png
Skysoblue98.jpg
(Screenshots of the DMC escape or the Halo Escape are hard to find)

Happy!
kirbyssgourmet-1.gif
dkc1-8.png

Sad!
top-10-tuesday-greatest-graphic-adv.jpg

Other stuff!
thecakeisalie.jpg
img-111.jpg
img-71.jpg
ff7_2-55.jpg
alad-13.gif
15-2-051.jpg

Endings in games always seem to me as a week point, more games seem to fail at the end then finish with what people remember as their favorite moment in it. This could be due to games being stretched out, to try and lengthen play time, leaving the player with end game fatigue, after doing the same thing for too long. Or it could be a sudden change in the gameplay, meaning that the players leave the game using none of the skills they developed during it.

Good or bad, people usually have a strong opinion on the final moments of games, so, tell me yours. Favorites, disappointments or endings that give you a burning rage that consumes all living beings.

I know for me, the ending of Half Life 2 is one of my favorites. While there was a minute of 'was that it...' at first, once you take your eye of just the ending, and look at it in the perspective of the whole game, I really enjoyed the slow reversal of the hunted, as you first step out the train station, to an eventual chase with you being the hunter. Along with this the idea that in the end, as Breen tells you, you are simply destroying, which comes across really well in the final moments, as troops and carriers, that had been a threat through out the game, are suddenly nothing.

I think the fact that I spent just as much text telling you about the end of HL2, as I did setting up the thread as it were, should give an indication on how much I liked it. So, over to you.

camo_sig.png
Docabar on

• Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    It might be a good idea to mention which games you are spoiling there.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Could you label what games are in the spoiler tags? I don't know if any of them are "real" spoilers because I don't want to take a risk, so it'd be nice to know one way or the other.

I don't know if you included it, but Portal's ending is definitely great. As was so much else of the game.

Smasher on
  • Options
    Walrus PeteWalrus Pete Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The only image in there that MIGHT be considered a spoiler is from Super Metroid. And maybe the third one in the last spoiler tag, but I don't know what game it's from.

Walrus Pete on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Done

Docabar on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    ...those are terrible labels.

EDIT: Here, I'll brave it for everyone and post the list, and god help you if you spoiled bioshock for me.

Super Mario bros
    The Legend of Zelda
    MGS2
    Super Metroid
    Half Life (2?)
    ...nintendogs?
    MGS
    RE4
    Kirby
    Donkey Kong Country
    Grim Fandango
    The Matrix: Path of Neo
    some giant meteor with green shit
    an explosion... far cry maybe?
    FFVII
    Aladdin (SNES version)
    Silent Hill 2

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Sorry, I posted before I did the edit, I underestimated how fast other people post.

First thread train wrecks in...6 posts.

Docabar on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Hotlead JunkieHotlead Junkie Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    ...those are terrible labels.

I only looked at all those pictures just so I could shout at him for ruining a game ending for me. Luckily I'v seen most of those/don't care so he got lucky.

I guess I need to lay off the caffine

Hotlead Junkie on
    tf2_sig.png
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The endings for Ico and Shadow Of The Colossus are some of the most depressing shit I've ever seen. There are a handful of other games almost as depressing, but those really take it.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Ah, I didn't see your post, and I just finished my edit.

Haha, I thought you had labeled them with "happy" and "sad"

I got most right.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    No thread of this kind goes without mentioning the end of The Matrix: Path of Neo.
    First, your fighting Smith through various incarnations just like in the movie . Then, all of the sudden, you're sitting in front of a white screen and the 8-bit versions of the Wachowski Brothers appear and talk to you about how they think that the movie ending would be lame for a video game and how they changed the final boss into a giant Agent Smith . Then your getting thrown back into the game, and you see how the Smith clones collect the remains of the buildings you destroyed during the fight and built them into a freaking huge robot. And then when fighting him you have to dodge his attack which consists of throwing massive piles of Smith clones after you.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TLJb9NZN0I
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Lj18fpcQtg

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I can't believe you didn't have Halo or Halo 3 under escapes

bruin on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Ok, that should be safe enough right? None of the recent ones give anything away really.

Dragging the thread back to somewhere where I thought it might go, Daedalus, you said that Ico n' SotC were really depressing games, you meant that it was emotionally depressing right? Rather then depressing because the endings were bad. Which they were not.

I put a note about that bruin, I didn't put a whole lot of effort in, but still.

Docabar on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker ending was fantastic, by far my favourite of all the Zelda games. Wind Waker is the only game in the series where I actually cared for the story, and then the last sequence before the final fight
    at top of the sunken Hyrule Castle - absolutely perfect. You could almost feel how Ganon cracked when his plans to raise Hyrule once again to the surface were foiled by the King of Red Lions. Oh, and sword in the head, of course.

zeldawwtr0.png

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Docabar wrote: »
    Ok, that should be safe enough right? None of the recent ones give anything away really.

Dragging the thread back to somewhere where I thought it might go, Daedalus, you said that Ico n' SotC were really depressing games, you meant that it was emotionally depressing right? Rather then depressing because the endings were bad. Which they were not.

Of course I meant emotionally depressing.

I mean, for "depressingly anticlimactic" you already mentioned Half-Life 2.

ba-dum pishh

Daedalus on
  • Options
    useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I think the only ending that ever did anything for me was the ending of Blue Dragon.
    Nice little wrap up scenes you interact with AFTER the final battle. And my girlfriend and I beat it within hours of each other and we both had the same thing to say :

"AFTER ALL THAT MAURO MAURO AND ZOLA DIDN'T GO TO THE BIRTHDAY PARTY?!?! ISN'T THAT KIND'A BITTERSWEET?

Say what you will about Blue Dragon I loved the story start to finish. Even the little sub-stories had some damn good endings...
    The singing dancing and celebration when you save Mauro Mauro's village

I like old arcade games on current systems, lets me see the endings I never could afford or actually reach when I was eight years old in an arcade.

useless4 on
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I though the end of Sands of Time was excellent. Maybe I'm just oblivious, but the way it reframed the entire game up to that point was great. That and the perfect last use of the dagger.

werehippy on
  • Options
    Doc HollidayDoc Holliday Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I enjoyed the ending of Final Fantasy III (US). It was around 30 minutes with credits, but it captured the mood of the game and the characters well. It was especially good considering...
    You didn't exactly succeed in saving the world

Doc Holliday on
    PSN & Live: buckwilson
  • Options
    GraviijaGraviija Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I love the whole ending sequence of Ocarina of Time. Especially right before the final fight, when we would normally get a description + boss name, and all we get is
    GANON
    . That was so fucking cool.

Also, the last level in Mario Galaxy is fucking EPIC.

I realize this thread is about pure story stuff, but still. They needed to be said.

Graviija on
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I liked the ending to MM2.
    An alien?! Oh Dr. Wily, you're incorrigible.
    Look at me, spoiler tagging the ending to a ~20 year old game.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Graviija wrote: »
    I love the whole ending sequence of Ocarina of Time. Especially right before the final fight, when we would normally get a description + boss name, and all we get is
    GANON

The other thing I really loved about the final fight in OOT was when you were fighting, realized you needed to use the Master Sword, then it got knocked away. Things look tough, but then you remember I have another legendary weapon here... and whip out the Megaton Hammer.

Dartboy on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Killer7

The entire hotel sequence, really.
    Emir/Garcian just keeps whistling, not losing a beat, as he kills all of the Harman Assassins
    but especially that last quote
    "No, it wasn't me! It can't be! It's all a misunderstanding!"
    ... and then he opens the suitcase he's been carrying the entire game.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Graviija wrote: »
    GANON

Also, the last level in Mario Galaxy is fucking EPIC.

I realize this thread is about pure story stuff, but still. They needed to be said.

Yes. For me, no game has ever been quite as epic as the final boss of OoT.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    ScrabbleDudeScrabbleDude Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I absolutely love the ending to Lufia II. One of the best, god damned games I've ever played.
    I love the little ending once you beat Gigas. I remember thinking the game was a whole lot shorter than I thought it was going to be. And then your baby is kidnapped and holy.shit! not the end. The actual end was really good too. The whole sacrifice thing was just fantastic.

I really need to play that game again. Honestly, it's easily among the top 10 games I've ever played.

ScrabbleDude on
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I absolutely love the ending to Lufia II. One of the best, god damned games I've ever played.
    I love the little ending once you beat Gigas. I remember thinking the game was a whole lot shorter than I thought it was going to be. And then your baby is kidnapped and holy.shit! not the end. The actual end was really good too. The whole sacrifice thing was just fantastic.

I really need to play that game again. Honestly, it's easily among the top 10 games I've ever played.

This reminded me, I also really liked the whole end of Earthbound. Hooray for freely traveling around the world you saved.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Oh, and the ending to Psychonauts was so good it made the last level totally worth it.

The best part of the game was still Milkman Conspiracy, though.

Daedalus on