The gods have played author to the lives of men for far too long. Their control of the world, and its inhabitants, is an imagined fantasy. But the blame cannot be placed upon the deceitful. It is entirely natural to seek power, even where there should be none.
It is the subservient who have brought this upon themselves. To act a role in another's play, to surrender claim to one's own potential, is a crime with no reward, but heavy consequence. And this is the crime committed by man.
Thus, this call is issued. Now is the time to cast off the shackles of those who would etch others' fates, and to weave your own tale in a bloodstained verbosity. The sword crafts stories the pen can only hope to imitate. The clash of steel outsings the greatest of troubadours. Men die, but legends live on in glorious detail.
Will you partake, or be overtaken? Time grows short, the next page remains blank for only so long.
So Odin plans to build up an army of einherjar, eventually leading his forces into Ragnarok? Sounds reasonable enough, except they aren't his
forces. An army of men should be commanded by none other than one of their own. If it takes our own Ragnarok to make that happen, then we'll have it.
Phalla? Go on.
Phalla is the Penny-Arcade Forums' version of the party game Mafia
The Basic Rules
The "village" consists of all players in the game. Included in the village is a small number of bad guys. Normally, the bad guys all know one another at the beginning of the game, but nobody else knows anything about anyone other than themselves.
Each day (normally 24-hour period) the village discusses and publically votes for one person to be executed that night. At the same time, the bad guys choose one person to kill each night and PM the name to the narrator.
The good side wins if all of the bad guys die. The bad side wins if the number of good guys is less than or equal to the number of bad guys (on the assumption that at that point, they control the vote plus get their kill, so it's inevitable).
Usually, there will be one or more "special" roles among the good guys (and occasionally among the bad guys). Exactly who holds each role is only known to that person, although how many of each role exist is most often known.
Each night, the narrator gives the details of who died, and normally whether they were a bad guy. Some games also include clues or outright statements if someone who died is a good special.
Standard Special Roles
Roles will have different names depending on the theme of the game. Listed below are the usual "generic" terms for each role. Normally, specials exercise their power by communicating with the narrator via PM.
-- once per night can "investigate" a particular person and find out from the narrator if they are a bad guy. Variations of seers may be able to determine a good special as well, although they may be unable to distinguish them from a bad guy.
-- once per night can kill a person of their choosing.
-- once per night can protect someone from any death other than execution by the village. Whether they can protect against multiple attacks on one person in the same night is up to the narrator.
-- a group of good guys, usually of similar size to the group of bad guys, who start the game knowing each other, and that they are all good.
Many larger games contain multiple groups of bad guys working at cross-purposes.
At least one game has included a council elected every other night who are able to overturn the popular vote. Normally, this shifts the execution to the person who got the second-most votes.
The typical size for a group of bad guys is 3, although an individual game may have more, particularly if there is only one group of bad guys in a larger game.
Common "House" Rules
You may not communicate regarding the game with someone who is dead, unless there is some specific mechanic in place to do so. In that case, communication normally goes through the narrator.
You may not use any anonymous method of communication to discuss the game. Forum-based PMs, external IMs, and e-mails are allowed as long as the person you are talking to knows who you are.
You may not use screencaps to "prove" anything to anyone.
Normally, everyone gets a "flavor" role in the game. Bad guys and good specials usually get a normal "villager" role in addition to their special role. This keeps people from using their initial PM to verify someone else's role. The two most common ways to do this are to (a) use the exact same message to everyone, or (b) give everyone a unique villager role.[/QUOTE]
Don't expect any more than 10% accuracy in my portrayal of anything actually related to Norse mythology. Apollo will craft wax wings to wrestle Fenrir in the sky.
Okay, Apollo won't be making an appearance.
in red for a player each day to die a meaningful death. !Retract
a previous vote in lime. Not only are retractions required, they are recommended.
-Voting orders within edited posts will not
be reflected in voting results.
-New votes cast by a player with a previously standing vote will not
be reflected in voting results.
Vote closes at 11pm central standard time, with the first closing on Friday
Activity policy-Shoot for at least two posts, and a vote, per day. If you can't keep up with that paltry requirement, the troops will be forced to leave you behind to be raped by pigs or something. Nobody wants that.
There will be no sharing of initial role PMs (although the villager PM will be enjoyed by all), anonymous contact, public discussion of day -2 events, or dolphin roleplaying. If you had something planned for that last one, you can PM me for permission, but it better be something special
1. PRËTËNTIÖüS-Prjtty Prjyncess-Killed by einherjar, night 5
2. Rend-Vanir einherjar, Wiglaf-Killed by einherjar, night 3
3. Zot-Skewered by einherjar, night 1
4. Mr. Embarkation-Prjtty Prjyncess-Killed by einherjar, night 4
5. cj iwakura-Hrist, rebellious valkyrie-Killed by einherjar, night 5
6. cheez-killed, night 3
8. Jeilan-Prjtty Prjyncess-Voted into oblivion, night 8
9. durax-Killed, night 7
10. DevoutlyApathetic-Mist, rebellious valkyrie-Killed by einherjar, night 4
11. Hylianbunny-Prjtty Prjyncess-Killed by einherjar, night 7
12. Corp.Shephard-Prjtty Prjyncess-Killed by vote and einherjar, night 7
13. Nion-Prjtty Prjyncess-Killed by vigilante, night 2
14. FreeAgent-Aesir einherjar-Killed by einherjar, night 2
15. MacSpectre-Vanir einherjar-Death by vote overdose, night 4
17. Infidel-Killed by einherjar, night 2
18. Plutonium-Prjtty Prjyncess-Voted to some form of death, night 3
19. Shamus-Prjtty Prjyncess-Killed by einherjar, night 4
21. Qorzm-Aesir einherjar-Killed by vote, night 6
22. Savant-Prjtty Prjyncess-Broken and chopped by an einherjar and a cursed sword, respectively, night 2
23. DasUberEdward-Prjtty Prjyncess-Killed by einherjar, night 4
24. Obbi-Prjtty Prjyncess-Killed by vigilante attack, night 7
25. delroland-Dueled into submission by einherjar, night 1
26. El Skid-Prjtty Prjyncess-Killed by einherjar, night 5
27. jdarksun-Killed, night 6
28. Niceguy Myeye-Vanir einherjar-Killed by vote, night 7
29. robothero-Killed night 1
30. Raakam-Rogue einherjar-Killed by einherjar, night 4
31. thorgot-Prjtty Prjyncess-Killed by vigilante, night 4
32. Romantic Undead-Prjtty Prjyncess-Run through from behind by einherjar, night 1
33. precisionk-Prjtty Prjyncess-Killed in the process of killing Modi, night 3
34. Ardor-Aesir einherjar-killed by einherjar, night 3
36. Matatat-Prjtty Prjyncess-Killed by vigilante attack, night 5
37. Gumpy-Prjtty Prjyncess-Killed, night 7
38. mrpaku-Prjtty Prjyncess-Beheaded by einherjar, night 1
39. Saburbia-Prjtty Prjyncess-Voted for egregious lifespan problems, night 8
40. Stew_Stick-Prjtty Prjyncess-Cursed into Tyrfing-ering himself, night 2
41. Oatway-Byleist, "Second of the Three"-Killed by einherjar, night 8
42. Unearthly Stew-Aesir einherjar-Killed night 4
43. giltanis-Prjtty Prjyncess-Killed night 4
44. Grundlterror-Vanir einherjar: Beowulf-Voted to a sweet death, night 5
45. PsychoCucumber-Prjtty Prjyncess-Voted head pike dweller, night 1
46. IreneDAdler, replaces Zerinan, night 3
47. Valkun-Prjtty Prjyncess-Murdered three times, night 6
48. MrBallBaggins, replaces Osvik, night 3
49. PsychoLarry1-Prjtty Prjyncess-Killed by einherjar, night 7
51. iamtheaznman-Aesir einherjar recruit-Voted as #1 brand of wild boar chow, night 2
52. Seriously-killed night 1
53. Asukui-Prjtty Prjyncess-Voted to die due to unpopular voting policy, night 5
54. Telcus-Prjtty Prjyncess-Killed by einherjar, night 7
55. Zellpher-Helbindi, "Third of the Three"-Killed by einherjar, night 8
56. Lady Eri-Prjtty Prjyncess-Killed by einherjar, night 3
57. MrBlarney-Killed in a battle-abacus battle to the death, night 2
58. Garick-Aesir einherjar-Killed by vote, night 6
59. Ham Torpey-Prjtty Prjyncess-Killed for the being of worthlessness, night 6
60. Locus-Prjtty Prjyncess-Killed by einherjar, night 8
61. Maximus-Prjtty Prjyncess-Killed by vote, night 7
62. Burnage-Prjtty Prjyncess-Killed by einherjar, night 6
63. Vic-Prjtty Prjyncess-Killed by einherjar, night 8
500. Frosti-Harpooned, day 0
Day 1 cont'd cont'd 2
Day 2 cont'd
Day 3 cont'd
Day 4 cont'd
Day 5 cont'd
Day 6 cont'd?
Day 7 cont'd