As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Buying my brother a GPS for christmas. Suggestions?

NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
My brother is constantly calling me for directions from where he is to where he needs to be. He also calls me and uses me as a yellow pages, asking if there's "a sporting goods store near here," or "a dairy queen near here."

I was wondering what GPS system I could buy him that would effectively replace me.

Also, I saw the following black friday deals posted. Do any of these models fulfill what I need?

Best Buy
TomTom One LE GPS Navigation System
Price: $119.99
Savings: $130 (though it's a BB exclusive model)
Note: Staples has similar deal on normal ONE.

Garmin Nuvi 200 GPS Navigation System
Price: $169.99
Savings: $70-$90

Garmin Nuvi 660 GPS Navigation System
Price: $399.99
Savings: $100

Circuit City
Garmin c340 Portable GPS Navigation System
Price: $199.99
Savings: $70

Magellan RoadMate 1200 GPS Navigation
Price: $124.99
Savings: $85

Radioshack
Magellan Maestro 3100 GPS Navigation System
Price: $129.99
Savings: $85

Wal-mart
Garmin Street Pilot c330 GPS
Price: $128.88
Savings: $70

NickTheNewbie on

• Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I was going to buy one for my mom and my sister. I'm going to look at the ones in Circuit City and see what Target has as well.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Much thanks for your help.

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    They didn't have any of the Roadmates at the CC I went to. They had the c340 and c350 though. There were no floor models to handle, but they seemed to have the same features that most GPS' have. The c350 has an SD expansion slot and access to live traffic updates.

The TomTom at BB seems decent enough, but I think you need a separate antenna for traffic updates. I don't think my sister or mom would care so I'll hopefully be able to pick up a couple at BB or Staples.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited November 2007
    My mom and a friend each have a Magellan of some flavor, and they're very happy with them, fwiw.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    MithrusMithrus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Both my brother and father have Garmins. They both seem to be quite pleased with them.

Mithrus on
    getwriters.jpg
    Send a pm my way if you're interested.
  • Options
    FreddyDFreddyD Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Garmin's have a really easy to use interface which is great for people who don't read manuals. The TomTom One LE is actually more full featured than the One 3rd edition selling everywhere else. It has blue tooth and customizable route waypoints, which are features the 3rd ed. lacks. I think the Mio 220 is the cheapest of the entry level GPS units, going for below $100 on BF, but I believe it has over 3 million points of interest.

FreddyD on