As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Xbox Live Bans - Round Two

Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
edited November 2007 in Games and Technology
::Edit:: Op lacks context, so filling in.

Microsoft has once again detected either modified firmware or burnt discs when logging in to Live with a modded 360. They have since banned a large number of Xbox 360 consoles. These consoles are banned. For Life. No matter what gamer tag you use on them.

I was banned the last time this happened as I like to fiddle with my hardware and backed up my own version of Crackdown. This time I decided to leave well alone.

The upshot of this thread is that if you're planning on buying an Xbox 360 second hand/used it is worth considering that the console could potentially be banned from Xbox Live. You will not be able to connect no matter how much you contact Microsoft or try different gamer tags.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
PSN: SirGrinchX
Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
Mr_Grinch on

• LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    Huh?

LCDXX on
    XBL: LCDXX | PSN: LCDXX | Steam: LCDXX
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    LCDXX wrote: »
    Huh?

Purchasing a used 360 could mean you end up with a console that has been banned from Live.

DarkPrimus on
  • SabanSaban Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm confuse.

Saban on
    371839-1.png
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Huh?

Purchasing a used 360 could mean you end up with a console that has been banned from Live.

Aswell as a risk, it is also an opertunity, if you plan to not use live, you can buy a heavilly discounted banned 360 second hand.

LewieP on
  • LCDXXLCDXX A flask of wood and glass Terre Haute, INRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    Huh?

Yeah, I knew that, but the OP seriously lacks context.

LCDXX on
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Huh?

Better?

Mr_Grinch on
    edited November 2007
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Huh?

Better?

Yeah - I wasn't trying to be a dick, Grinch - sorry if you took it as such. But thanks for the heads up.

LCDXX on
    edited November 2007
    I wasn't trying to be a dick in my reply :)

It's just a general warning as I know in the UK Game/Gamestation don't try a live connect on consoles when they're traded in (So if you buy a pre-owned one, test it asap on live when you get home)

Mr_Grinch on
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    I wasn't trying to be a dick in my reply :)

It's just a general warning as I know in the UK Game/Gamestation don't try a live connect on consoles when they're traded in (So if you buy a pre-owned one, test it asap on live when you get home)

Does that include marketplace or just the multiplayer aspect of live?

Veevee on
    edited November 2007
    Everything. You can't log in to live in the slightest even to download a demo or do a system update. They definitely like to make a point :)

Mr_Grinch on
  • TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So...they're really banning consoles? Because I have a friend on my list who's been pirating 360 games all year with no problem. Hell, he just sent me a Halo 3 invite!

Turkey on
    edited November 2007
    Clearly he's managed to skip the ban hammer. Some people have avoided it, others haven't. I didn't last time because I didn't "Stealth patch" my own backup of Crackdown.

I can't really go in to why he likely hasn't been banned without getting a ticking off from the mods here :)

Mr_Grinch on