As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[FFXI] Now with 60% more jigs

• Options
    nevilleneville The Worst Gay (Seriously. The Worst!)Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Well the only other people I know play on a different server
    I'm on Quetzalcoatl

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    neville wrote: »
    I just looked around ffxiclopedia and saw this: http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/2008_-_%2808/18/2008%29_First_Accessory_in_the_%22Final_Fantasy_XI_Players%27_Collection%22_Line_Now_on_Sale%21

Fuck, I want to play this game again.
    But none of my friends will join me, I don't think.
    Abandoning 3 75's will make me cry.

We were talking about that in game. Silver plated with synthetic leather loop just doesn't turn me on, regardless of the in-game item that allows you to port if you missed the boat.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I only want it for the in-game item

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited August 2008
    Not worth it, in my opinion. Even considering it allows you to port your party along with you.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I dunno. Capitals > Jeuno, Jeuno <> Kazham, Mahura <> selbina and the aht zones; that's a pretty cool deal.

I mean, I have no intentions of buying it and it's probably on a fairly long cooldown; but still that's nothing to sneeze at. Particularly if you don't have an airship pass; that' a lot of time potentially saved in traveling. If you've got your airship pass; the most time it'll really save is ~10m if you just missed the airships. The boat, you're saving even more time. But still after that; not a huge deal.

EDIT: Ah...eeer, I just noticed the price.

Ok, not worth it unless you were really into FFXI. maybe making a new character or something. But you still have to visit an area before you can port.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    edited August 2008
    I didn't even realize it was a party teleport.
    I'd DEFINITELY love it then.

I also want/wanted a moogle hat.

neville on
    nevillexmassig1.png
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    neville wrote: »
    Well the only other people I know play on a different server
    I'm on Quetzalcoatl

Oh, I thought you meant you had 3 75's you'd lose.

Still; good times on Carbuncle.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited August 2008
    Considering all the other teleport options in the game, I think it is something to sneeze at. From your hometown, you can get to every region, Whitegate, Jenuo, Waojam woodlands, etc. and back. If I were to purchase an item for real money that teleports, I would want it to be one that would make use of the existing teleportation system. Say, from any zone to home town.

OTherwise, I might not be adverse to buying some item in game for real money, but it wouldn't be this one.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Yeah I didn't notice the price. I was thinking it would be like $20 bucks or something.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Selling a little silver-plated trinket for $43, and then "giving away" a cool unique item in-game just smacks of Square-Enix trying to avoid outright saying that they're selling in-game items for real money. I guess I'd be more outraged if the item gave any real tangible benefit aside from looking really cool, fortunately skipping a boat ride every now and again is pretty marginal at best.

Oh well, hopefully the next item will be more reasonably priced, or maybe the physical merch will at least be a bit better.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Velrio has joined us. Not sure who here plays him.

Edit: And what is up with all the new people playing monks?

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Selling a little silver-plated trinket for $43, and then "giving away" a cool unique item in-game just smacks of Square-Enix trying to avoid outright saying that they're selling in-game items for real money. I guess I'd be more outraged if the item gave any real tangible benefit aside from looking really cool, fortunately skipping a boat ride every now and again is pretty marginal at best.

Oh well, hopefully the next item will be more reasonably priced, or maybe the physical merch will at least be a bit better.

Considering SE already sells a number of pricey game-related memorabilia HERE, one related to FFXI is far less likely to be related to some new plan to sell in-game items and more likely they're just capitalizing on the fairly large playerbase for XI and tossing in an "extra" for people who play.

It's a fairly large leap in logic to assume they're getting into a in-game item selling business.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited August 2008
    I am wondering why they are marketing this collection separately from their existing store.

Edit: Referring of course to this: http://www.square-enix-shop.com/

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I saw that on the Wiki today but didn't realize it was a new item. Watched the video for it, cool effect... and teleporting your party is neat... but it only being available from city to city? That's just weird. I think it would sell MUCH better if you could use it in the field to teleport you and your party to your home city. Also the price is extremely steep... I didn't even consider purchasing it.

Also, I got WAR to 12. Wanna get it to 18 (or maybe 20...) and then level thief. I read earlier that you unlock other jobs at level 30, is that across the board? Or specific quests? Are there any jobs you can unlock before 30? I'm kinda interested in Blue Mage. I can't get to the wiki from here or I'd just look myself.

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Every extra job is unlockable via its own unique quest, and all 14 quests are available to start at level 30.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Every extra job is unlockable via its own unique quest, and all 14 quests are available to start at level 30.

Thanks. Guess I get to pick and choose... eventually.

Dyvion on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Convinced Kygents to kill an orc for me yesterday, so now I am on Wings of the Goddess mission 3. Gotta convince someone to kill the next orc for me.

And then there are the Promyvions. Smashism, get to 30 so we can both get them knocked out.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    SmashismSmashism Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Convinced Kygents to kill an orc for me yesterday, so now I am on Wings of the Goddess mission 3. Gotta convince someone to kill the next orc for me.

And then there are the Promyvions. Smashism, get to 30 so we can both get them knocked out.

Sounds good, I spent all day prepping my BLM, WAR, and WHM for some further use.
    I'm going to pass my sub soon, so if anyone wants to work on a 15 along with my BLM today, that would be nice.
    WHM is still 28.

Smashism on
  • Options
    NoxyNoxy Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Velrio has joined us. Not sure who here plays him.

Edit: And what is up with all the new people playing monks?

Haha. I don't know about the others but I am doing it for a War subjob. Then I will sub War for Sam and a bit on Thf. Depending. Plus, punching things to death is fun. Especially fun if you are a Taru.

Noxy on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Smashism wrote: »

Sounds good, I spent all day prepping my BLM, WAR, and WHM for some further use.
    I'm going to pass my sub soon, so if anyone wants to work on a 15 along with my BLM today, that would be nice.
    WHM is still 28.

I have Puppetmaster at level 14,

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    And Cobraclaw Buchzvotch eludes us. I'll try again later.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    DigitoDigito Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So... what's Samurai like anyways? Doing some research, it looks really fun and pretty awesome, but are there any catches to it I'm not seeing before I allow myself to become hellbent on trying to become one?

I already know it doesn't mesh well with a magical subjob and that it's not the easiest advanced job to unlock, but aside from that it looks just plain fun.

Digito on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Weaponskill
    weaponskill
    weaponskill
    weaponskill weaponskill weaponskill

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Precisely why it looks fun. Can they really use weaponskills THAT much more often?

Digito on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    GrinninBarrettGrinninBarrett Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    Samurai is a lot of fun, especially at 75 once you have all the shiny store TP and meditate toys

GrinninBarrett on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Now I'm really looking forwards to this. >_> Looks WAY more fun than Warrior. Just gotta get 11 more levels and some help from my LS...

Digito on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I saw a few videos today before I went to work in which Samurai's were triggering their own skill chains. That's a lot of TP.

Dyvion on
  • Options
    littwentythreelittwentythree Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'll have to second all of the people who said to level up all the main jobs to 10, just to get an idea of what you like. I thought WHM was my thing, but I'm really starting to get into RDM. Although this is FFXI so I guess I can switch between the two whenever I feel it.

littwentythree on
    newsig.png
  • Options
    XheroXhero la contr'une Registered User regular
    edited August 2008

Ooh ooh tell me when you do.

Xhero on
  • Options
    Eticket109Eticket109 Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I'll have to second all of the people who said to level up all the main jobs to 10, just to get an idea of what you like. I thought WHM was my thing, but I'm really starting to get into RDM. Although this is FFXI so I guess I can switch between the two whenever I feel it.

20 may be even better. Most of the 1-10 leveling is done solo and some jobs' functions don't really begin to shine until in a party, even if it's a dunes party.

Eticket109 on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Xhero wrote: »

Ooh ooh tell me when you do.

Well, he didn't so much elude us as much as killed us. As soon as I find someone who can take the guy, I will try again.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    I may have missed the post; but do we have a time/place for tomorrow night? And a for sure from everyone? One of the LS people I haven't even seen since we started talking about it.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited August 2008
    I think we have to replace him.

Edit: Zave tells me that Upsilon is playing Tatwo now.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Everyone please online and ready to start at 9PM EST (6PM PST): We will aim for 2 hours and see how it goes. Meet in North San d'Oria.

Edit: Ormi will be replacing Upsilon. She is bringing a Dragoon to the party.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Hrm... I said a few times already I am not off work tomorrow till 8pm MST (10pm est), and while I've been getting off fairly early as of late (I got off at 3 last friday) there's no guarantee.

Again though, this is my last Friday at work; after this it shouldn't be a problem.

EDIT: That sounded snottier than I intended. Even if I'm not off way early I'll try to bail work a bit early either way.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited August 2008
    Forgot. 10 then for this week if you are not off early.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    NismoGrendelNismoGrendel Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    I've been thinking of picking this up. I played a monk a couple of years ago, got to around lvl 18 or so and gave up. It was too tough to find parties, and too tough to solo.

Is this game worth picking up this late in it's lifetime?

NismoGrendel on
  • Options
    edited August 2008
    Playing this game for a month is pretty cheap. Pick it up and see if you like it. If not, you don't have to keep playing.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • Options
    ArcibiArcibi Registered User regular
    edited August 2008
    So I picked up monk for a bit. I'm level 20 and I love it, and maybe I'll take it to 75 after I get black mage there

I've heard that later on they're really good, but I've also heard that later on they're terrible (depending on the source, they're either "hands-down the best DPS in the game" or "inferior novelty job with no use in the endgame")

Basically, my question is "are monks pretty good"

(I find the idea of a tarutaru punching things that are much bigger than him endlessly entertaining, so I'll probably stick with it regardless)

Arcibi on
    GameTrailers | Goozex | Check out: Arcibi's Dev Blog and Robot House Games
    tmntsigshrunkre4.jpg
    Wii: 5024 6786 2934 2806 | Steam/XBL: Arcibi | FFXI: Arcibi / Bahamut
This discussion has been closed.