Options

heroes thread

• Options
    ZonkytonkmanZonkytonkman Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    the instaflip in his loyalties when it came to shooting dude in the face just a week after they were best buddies was pretty funny

Zonkytonkman on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    mohinder is a squirrel

he basically panicks over everything and has massive trust issues

Pony on
  • Options
    MeisterMeister Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm having a hard time deciding which character I hate more, West or Mohinder. West is a huge douchebag, but he actually did some useful stuff last episode. Mohinder is basically always wrong about everything. He did notice he was hanging out with Sylar. He had that stupid drawn-out episode where he pussied out and went to India. Now he is easily brainwashed into killing the people he thought were good guys a week ago.

I can't really think of a character I like besides Hiro. Well, DL, but he's gone. Adam Munroe is OK. Matt Parkman is good sometimes, like when he took the memory out of Angela even though she was all bloo bloo bloo you'll become your father.

Meister on
    3DS friend code friend code: 4485-1155-2584
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, Parkman has vastly improved. Last season he was a raging pussy, but now he's actually kind of cool. I think axing his bitch wife and the totally uninteresting "troubled marriage" plot helped.

captaink on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Is Mohinder tryong to do a kind of British accent because I cannot tell at all what accent he is supposed to be doing.

It just sounds so weird.

Doesnt help that his character has absolutely no use in the series at all other than to bumble around in the lab while HRG kills Russian bitches and burns down their houses.

Man, I hope Mohinder gets less screen time. Its like everytime he comes on I get slightly bored.

Not because hes a bad actor, or that it doesnt progress the plot. its just that it progresses the plot so fucking slowly.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Yes, it is an obvious British accent to us Americans.

Maybe there's some nuance that only Brits can pick up on, but he sounds pretty British to me.

Jimothy on
  • Options
    NuzakNuzak Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    he sounds faux british to me

nobody but stephen fry or some shit sounds like mohinder

Nuzak on
  • Options
    RedeemerRedeemer Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Parkman was awesome last season

edit: as was Clea Duvall

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited November 2007
    Nuzak wrote: »

Plenty of people sound like Mohinder.

He's supposed to sound English with a hint of Indian. Earlier in the series the Indian element was a lot more obvious, but his accent has softened (pretty realistically) over time, and become more Americanised. He really should speak with a heavier Indian accent if he's lived there his entire life, but then he should also be speaking Hindi in scenes set there. Artistic license.

Tube on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Keith wrote: »
    i hope nathan and west meet by flying into each other

Khavall on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited November 2007

He's supposed to sound English with a hint of Indian. Earlier in the series the Indian element was a lot more obvious, but his accent has softened (pretty realistically) over time, and become more Americanised. He really should speak with a heavier Indian accent if he's lived there his entire life, but then he should also be speaking Hindi in scenes set there. Artistic license.

Yeah, I don't get why they spoke English in India but the Japanese and Hispanic characters speak their native languages

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    KarnackKarnack Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    there is some pretty bad writing and acting across the board, but to me the worst offender is sylar.
    its as if they concentrated a billion bad guy Clichés into one man to form an abortion of a character.

matt and peter (though peter has been for awhile minus his amnesiac escapades) are damned powerful, I hope they actually make something of that without gimping them when the time comes to fight adam or a renewed sylar or whatnot.

Adam is an okay villian, I hope he's the big showdown rather than sylar or the company in one way or another.

Karnack on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

Yeah, I don't get why they spoke English in India but the Japanese and Hispanic characters speak their native languages

I'd imagine it's because Hispanic and Japanese-American people are more likely to speak the language of their country of origin than Indian-Americans. Every Japanese person I know can speak Japanese to some degree, and to the best of my knowledge none of my Indian friends can.

Tube on
  • Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Quit lying tube, you dont have friends.

Bedlam on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    : (

Tube on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

I'd imagine it's because Hispanic and Japanese-American people are more likely to speak the language of their country of origin than Indian-Americans. Every Japanese person I know can speak Japanese to some degree, and to the best of my knowledge none of my Indian friends can.

Also a lot of people speak English in India. Not Queens English by any means but it certainly isnt unbelievable for them to converse every day conversation in english.

I think also because those parts were so brief that it was a case of 'Mohinder can speak english, lets just not have him also speak Indian and set a precedent because its only for a few episodes'

I still dont understand why they chose to utlise the subtitles so much when all of the actors speaking the foreign languages speak english. They had at a point Hiro speaking just in Japanese but now he talks to Ando in english.

Just seems like realism for realisms sake and if anything takes characterisation out of the series rather than adding it. Especially with the new characters this season who speak Spanish (or is it Mexican, I dont know) because Im having such a hard time even caring about what they say or do anyways because they are uninteresting characters but then having to read subtitles too (not that I abhor subbing in any way) but it seems like its an added pain for no good reason.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited November 2007
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Especially with the new characters this season who speak Spanish (or is it Mexican, I dont know)

Jesus

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Especially with the new characters this season who speak Spanish (or is it Mexican, I dont know)

Jesus

Im sorry I live in the UK we dont have hispanics.

so it is mexican then? sounded spanish to me.

i guess im not such a linguist.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

I'm pretty sure they don't get him to speak Hindi because he doesn't know. Because they've made him bust out French before when he visited the Haitian. So it appears the actor is familure with some foreign languages, just not Hindi.

Blake T on
  • Options
    Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Jesus

This is turning into a more awesome post by the second.

Blake T on
  • Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I speak French but I also speak Canadian.

Meiz on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Blaket wrote: »

Jesus

To be fair I was trying to diffuse the situation by being super polite. Ive tripped up before by taking a different tact so Im making serious effort in trying to learn where I was mistaken.

I take it that you assume I am retarded for not knowing a completely obvious piece of information, I presented what I think is a weak but partially valid excuse and it continued from there. Regardless, does it really matter? there are far more retarded people out there than I.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I am going to be so fucking confused when I go to England and find out that they only speak English there. No one will understand my Australian! We shall have to converse using chalk using really big arm gestures and talking even louder than usual.

Hispanic cultures by and large speak Spanish (some speak portugese although I think that could just be Brazil)

Blake T on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Mexicans and almost all of Central and South America (except for Brazil, speaking Portuguese) speak Spanish. It's like British English and American English.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    PotUPotU __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    You see.

It's a mix between Mexican and Spanish, maybe a bit of Peruvian.

PotU on
    2mong9u.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Ok I understand. Wow knowing that my original thoughts seem even more stupid.

still, could have just said so and saved a bit of effort no? that said if I was on your side I would take the same opportunity for a bit of forum flaming. oh well.

so they speak mexican. but mexican is exactly the same as spanish. like when people say they speak american but american is exactly the same as english.

or is it in any way different?

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    if you ever say "They speak Mexican" you will appear such an idiot that everyone around you will want to beat you.

They do not speak Mexican. They speak Spanish. Swiss people do not speak Swiss, Americans do not speak American, and Mexicans do not speak Mexican.

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm sure there's a lot of differences though, like between Parisian French and Quebec French. Probably different uses of some words, and entirely original words for either dialect.

Meissnerd on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    From Spanish class, Mexican-Spanish pronounces some letters completely differently from Spain's Spanish. They also have an extra form of conjugation they use (I think). Other little bits like that.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    if you ever say "They speak Mexican" you will appear such an idiot that everyone around you will want to beat you.

They do not speak Mexican. They speak Spanish. Swiss people do not speak Swiss, Americans do not speak American, and Mexicans do not speak Mexican.

But I speak to a lot of American people fairly regularly and they say themselves that they speak American.

As in, if they are talking to someone in Japanese or whatever, instead of asking if they can speak in English, they ask if they could speak American, even though they are referring to the same language.

But that is indeed my question, I have never heard anyone say they speak 'swiss' but Ive heard a shitload of people say they speak American. Ive also heard Mexican referred to as a language. So while it fundamentally might be the same language, are there enough differences in pronunciation or spelling so as to call it mexican, even if it is only in a casual way.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

But I speak to a lot of American people fairly regularly and they say themselves that they speak American.

As in, if they are talking to someone in Japanese or whatever, instead of asking if they can speak in English, they ask if they could speak American, even though they are referring to the same language.

But that is indeed my question, I have never heard anyone say they speak 'swiss' but Ive heard a shitload of people say they speak American. Ive also heard Mexican referred to as a language. So while it fundamentally might be the same language, are there enough differences in pronunciation or spelling so as to call it mexican, even if it is only in a casual way.

If that is the case then you have committed the admirable task of surrounding yourself with folks even more ignorant than you are. I have never heard an American, in all seriousness, refer to their language as "American". And I live in New Mexico, so believe me when I say that if you were to say to a Hispanic person any comment about "speaking Mexican" you would be asking for a brawl.

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Lots of people around here would say people 'speak Mexican' or 'speak American'. Of course, I live in Texas, so...

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007

If that is the case then you have committed the admirable task of surrounding yourself with folks even more ignorant than you are. I have never heard an American, in all seriousness, refer to their language as "American". And I live in New Mexico, so believe me when I say that if you were to say to a Hispanic person any comment about "speaking Mexican" you would be asking for a brawl.

Fair enough.

But like I said, in my life I am not surrounded by these people all the time. I have never been to Mexico nor spoken to someone from there. So I could only base my question off of my experience which is certainly different from yours.

Is it a cultural thing? I mean, to me if you said you spoke American I would understand what language you meant. But if I asked a Mexican if they spoke Mexican rather than Spanish would they understand what I meant or do they always in every day refer to the language they speak as 'Spanish'.

Like if an australian spoke to me I would refer to what they were speaking as australian. because the difference between english and australian is small but meaningful. mainly accent and some words are different. so while we both speak english he will be speaking in australian.

Also, people in the UK so speak 'Scottish' and 'Irish' even though it is still english language. i certainly wouldnt derise someone for saying that.

Im trying to understand why asking if a Mexican spoke Mexican it would cause a brawl. Im genuinely interested.

Sorry to take this thread wildly off topic but I guess it all stems from my ignorance and Im eager to learn all the time, mainly so I avoid awkward forum comments like mine which i realise now deserve to be mocked.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I say I speak English.

I jokingly refer to myself as speaking Australian as if it's this bizare language that no one has heard of and no one can understand me (though this is often the case in Australia as well).

Blake T on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Hispanics in my town, state and general region of the world are generally ok with being called "Hispanic". However, I have known quite a few (probably 40%) that insisted on "Latino/a", "Spanish" and being called by the specific South American countries of their descent. They let it slide for strangers, but if you know them you better call them the right nationality.

Grouping them all together into a single imaginary language is incredibly insulting, and I utterly understand it.

Charles Kinbote on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Blaket wrote: »

He's from the UK. People from the UK have, as a rule, never met a Mexican. Cut him a break. It's not as though Americans are known for their extensive knowledge of other cultures.

Tube on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    yeah really

i had a lot of central and south american friends in high school

they all spoke spanish, except the brazillians

however, apparently there's some pretty massive differences in accents between say, mexicans, cubans, hondurans, peruvians, el salvadorans, etc.

dude who explained it to me compared it to the different regional english accents of the US or England.

to me it is hard to discern, but to someone with spanish as a first language it's apparently glaringly obvious.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    still

they're not even mexican

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    About Shankill Butcher's avy. I see a Stay Puft Marshmallow Man shitting out a smaller Stay Puft Marshmallow Man

Meiz on
  • Options
    RedeemerRedeemer Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    God, quebecois french is the ugliest language

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg