As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's all fight alien invaders (X-Com: UFO Defense Video LP)

• Options
    devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Damned Google video gets cut at 25% everytime I try to load the video D:

Can someone make a spoiled resume of what happened in the mission?

This would be a fantastic idea. As cool as watching the action is, having a command log a la SyntheticOrange would be hilarious and full of win.

devoir on
  • Options
    The_LightbringerThe_Lightbringer Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Damned Google video gets cut at 25% everytime I try to load the video D:

Can someone make a spoiled resume of what happened in the mission?

Short Version
    -Lots of property damage
    -We have learned that high explosive rockets do indeed kill aliens
    -We lose 1 guy which is pretty damn good for the first mission
    -Aliens get their shit ruined

I actually have a request to instead of being a red shirt, to be the tank. So that I can never die for I shall just be rebuilt!

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    That's an awesome idea, but I think it should be restricted to just you, as you were the first person to come up with it :P We don't want a whole line of immortal robot death machines hogging the glory.

devoir on
  • Options
    BremenBremen Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I was planning on replacing the tank with 4 more rookies now that we have 14 names, but if people want me to keep using the tank I will. Atleast until it gets blown up.

Also, when I started this game I decided to not produce weapons for resale. This will make money a more important resource, and make us dependent on the funding nations to pay upkeep.

Bremen on
  • Options
    LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    devoir wrote: »
    That's an awesome idea, but I think it should be restricted to just you, as you were the first person to come up with it :P We don't want a whole line of immortal robot death machines hogging the glory.
    I don't think you can rename tanks, but we could just call it a "Lightbringer tank" whenever we talk about it.

Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
  • Options
    The_LightbringerThe_Lightbringer Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Thats fine for me! If you feel the need to replace the tank go ahead, let other ppl have their time to shine. But if you ever need someone to exit the transport first, cross a wide flat field with multiple sniper points, crushing psychics under my cold uncaring metal tracks, or ramming a swarm of chrysallids to allow the bloody remains of a squad to retreat from a terror mission, then put me in coach.

I think it'd be a neat idea to do a bunch of in character logs, after most battles and general progress reports.

Unless anyone wants to type one up now, I'll volunteer for the first log, might not be able to get it out till tmr or something though.

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I think it'd be a neat idea to do a bunch of in character logs, after most battles and general progress reports.

Unless anyone wants to type one up now, I'll volunteer for the first log, might not be able to get it out till tmr or something though.

By all means. This sounds like an excellent job for commentators.

Speaking of commentators, I'm thinking of doing another update tonight (late tonight, it's Thanksgiving after all. Perhaps in 3-4 hours?). Commentators are always welcome, I'll be on the Ventrilo server until that if you want to pop in.

Bremen on
  • Options
    GenericFanGenericFan Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Hah, I'm just watching the battle video and the tank just shot up a small fence, which proceeded to have massive splash damage pretty much on top it. That was a good move.

GenericFan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    AchtungBabyAchtungBaby Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    GenericFan wrote: »
    Hah, I'm just watching the battle video and the tank just shot up a small fence, which proceeded to have massive splash damage pretty much on top it. That was a good move.

That was a fun moment, nice aim lightbringer :lol: I'm up to the part of the farm bombardment, I hope that alien is death.
    Of course, its still alive

AchtungBaby on
    Animal Crossing: 2534-9952-2348 Asgard, Hugo

Pokemon Pearl: 2577-9731-8070

Contact - 0043 9563 6121
  • Options
    edited November 2007

Units wont shoot if something is directly between them and their target. However, they will try to fire through a tiny hole that will result in a self-destructive early detonation if the shot is even 1 degree off, which is apparently what the tank did.

Luckily heavily armored units in this game are pretty much immune to area effects (but not direct hits from explosive ordinance, which will kill just about anything).

Bremen on
  • Options
    GenericFanGenericFan Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Do aimed shots have ~1 degree error rates or what?

X-Com looks really fun, I'm ashamed to say I haven't played it (probably because in the 90's I was born or something). Can I be a Soldier or something? I've had lots of experience shooting aliens on Halo, who knows maybe that'll translate into results ingame.

GenericFan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Do aimed shots have ~1 degree error rates or what?

X-Com looks really fun, I'm ashamed to say I haven't played it (probably because in the 90's I was born or something). Can I be a Soldier or something? I've had lots of experience shooting aliens on Halo, who knows maybe that'll translate into results ingame.

I think the accuracy % listed is the chance that the shot will be exactly dead on, and if it isn't it misses by some degree of inaccuracy, with the greater degrees being progressively less likely. That said, it's not unknown to rarely get shots off by 60 to 80 degrees, sort of a "whoops, I tripped" factor I suppose.

Bremen on
  • Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I also cannot watch the movie. If Lightbringer dies, he can be like a dragoon and come back as a tank.

piL on
  • Options
    VeritasVRVeritasVR Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Lightbringer: Awaiting instructions.

Dragoon.gif

VeritasVR on
    CoH_infantry.jpg
    Let 'em eat fucking pineapples!
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Ahaha. Awesome.

Breman, can you make a list of what else you need?

And can I sap the engineers' shit?

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    VeritasVR wrote: »
    Lightbringer: Awaiting instructions.

Lightbringer needs to be like the Terminator. If he dies, he comes back with even cooler shades and less bodyhair.

devoir on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Ahaha. Awesome.

Breman, can you make a list of what else you need?

And can I sap the engineers' shit?

Right now I'm just looking for general advice. I'm not going to ask for yes/no on everything we could do.

Bremen on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Sell shit loads of laser rifles for moneys.

And tanks rock early game while you build up your mans.

And we should do some stupid things made of fail for shits.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    He's already said he's not looking to sell laser rifles for money.

devoir on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Then we're doomed. DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMED.

But Laser Rifles are great anyway.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    For everyone who can't access the google video, or just wants better quality, I managed to compress a video small enough to get on rapidshare, and am uploading it now. However, this wont work for longer updates, so I'm willing to take suggestions. Should I make a Youtube account?

Edit: Nevermind, youtube is limited to 10 minutes and I'm not going to all the trouble of splitting the files. Anyone know how to make torrents?

Bremen on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    It's fairly easy, most of the torrent clients have facility to create them, some even will upload them to a popular tracker for you like mininova.org or something.

devoir on
  • Options
    LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Bremen wrote: »
    For everyone who can't access the google video, or just wants better quality, I managed to compress a video small enough to get on rapidshare, and am uploading it now. However, this wont work for longer updates, so I'm willing to take suggestions. Should I make a Youtube account?

Edit: Nevermind, youtube is limited to 10 minutes and I'm not going to all the trouble of splitting the files. Anyone know how to make torrents?
    You could try Dailymotion (high quality but kind of slow) or Stage 6 (high quality and fast, but requires its own plugin).

Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
  • Options
    ValkunValkun Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I haven't tried it, but I hear if you change your status to Director on YouTube you can upload movies longer than 10 minutes.

Valkun on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Rapidshare Link. Updating the update (lol) as well.

Bremen on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Yep youtube directors can upload longer than 10 minutes, how you get to be one beats me, but dailymotion is also a good easy option, and it doesn't crash all the time unlike google video.

By the way, who died in the first mission? He should get an honorable mention.

AchtungBaby on

Contact - 0043 9563 6121
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    JerikTelorian - Died in firefight with sectoid while storming UFO

devoir on
  • Options
    KerdosKerdos Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Damn did you see that first shot! Just clearing the tank, between fence posts, and square into that grey! He shoots, he scores! (crowd noises). And the second kill simply shows that if one rocket doesn't do the job, a second is always called for. But the overall lack of rockets is concerning.

I made sarge? Excellent, lets start abusing that authority right away =). I'm gonna request a total of eight large rockets, 1 in the tube, 3 in the backpack. 4 left in the Skyranger so I can run back for a second loadout. And about that HE thing... give it to the newest rookie in every squad. We gotta have a trial of passage here. (if your replacing the tank + the corpse with 5 newbies, give it to the newest recruit with the lowest bravery. That'll put some hair on his chest)

About the pistol? Eh, I'll defer to the CiC for that. I suppose I can short-circuit the laser's battery to cause some kind of explosion.

Kerdos on
  • Options
    KerdosKerdos Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Actually watching the video, I don't think the tank took any real damage from exploding its own shell 3 feet away from it. During one of the alien turns, one of them pot-shotted it with a plasma.

Kerdos on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    How to make yourself a director on YouTube:

Edit Channel->Channel Type: Director.
    Profit.

What are you guys using to watch Bremen play?

Valkun on
  • Options
    ZampanoZampano Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    If I had my druthers, DailyMotion is the way to go. I tend to have no end of trouble with Google Video, and DailyMotion's quality is far and away superior. I could barely tell what was going on action wise in that video.

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    devoir wrote: »
    JerikTelorian - Died in firefight with sectoid while storming UFO

God bless his soul, he is the first of many.

AchtungBaby on

Contact - 0043 9563 6121
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    There must be a monument erected in his eternal honor.

A big one. That way we can save money just by adding the names of the countless others who will follow in his path.

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • Options
    mr weenismr weenis Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    is it too late to sign up as a soldier? or are there too many soldiers for me eto ever see combat? eh....sign me up anyway it it's not too late

mr weenis on
    Nickle wrote: »
    972 dicks is a lot of dicks. :(
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Each dead person should be able to come back in some way.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    If we get another commentator or two in the next 10 minutes or so I'll do an update tonight. Otherwise I'll put it off till tomorrow. Processing the video is a lot of work, and I'd prefer not to be up till 4 am again.

Bremen on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Erm, what programs are you using to do commentary? I can go see if my microphone is working.

Valkun on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I guess I should have mentioned. We're using the PA Vent server for commentary, and a simple program called Team Viewer to show the action (2 minutes to set up max)

Bremen on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    We'd need to establish a resurrection queue. Which is probably a good idea.

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I recently had to do a reformat on my main rig so give me a minute to set up. Can you PM or post the relevant IP addresses?

Valkun on