As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Let's all fight alien invaders (X-Com: UFO Defense Video LP)

• Options
    joshua1joshua1 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    but there doesn't seem to be a door.... just... walls. Does it look different?

joshua1 on
  • Options
    The_LightbringerThe_Lightbringer Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Estoc wrote: »
    Hmm, I can't seem to get the video to work. Is anyone going to host it on dailymotion or something? When I downloaded it, I got audio, but no video. :|

Your codec might be outdated

download VLC, it pretty much plays any video.

Nicely played X-Com team, and grats on Kerdos and his promotion to captain, you're quickly becoming a legend around the agency as the alien slayer.

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
  • Options
    Lord YodLord Yod Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    joshua1 wrote: »

They're Star Trek-y doors that slide into the floor. They're colored ever so slightly a lighter shade of steel.

Also, redshirt me. All I need is a stun rod and a primed HE, then you can send me in doors all you want!

Lord Yod on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ValkunValkun Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Is there going to be another session tonight, Bremen?

Valkun on
  • Options
    CohsaeCohsae Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Nice work with the videos Bremen, this thread is great. One suggestion/idea though, could you post the stats for the soldiers? It'd be cool if we could see how awesome (or useless) we are.

Cohsae on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ChenjesuChenjesu Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    joshua1 wrote: »

Over time, you'll learn where the doors are. I think one UFO design has a rooftop solarium for nude alien sunbathing or something, which always throws me off. The doors have visible lines on either side. If you look on the video updates you can make out the door before we go through.

Edit: Actually, UFO Defence only has doors. TFTD ships have lifts and have the ship with the solarium. The door is always on a side facing the camera, and can be seen by the lines. The door on the medium scout is on the left side:
    mediumscouttopkf0.jpg

If you're really stuck, there are full floorplans on http://www.xcomufo.com, but it is better to check them out for yourself.

Also, some UFOs have maglifts rather than doors. The very small UFO has one (but only shows up really early and can only be encountered if you catch it on the ground, since shooting it down always destroys it), and some of the huge ones do too. The lift zones are pretty easy to recognize, and to use those, you put a guy on them, and then click the "Go up a level" button, which is the top left button on the button panel.

I enjoyed providing commentary, but am away from my desktop/mic for the weekend. I'd love to be in on more missions when I return Sunday. Hopefully the aliens don't decide to do something like, oh say, terrorize a city with superbuff units before then...

Chenjesu on
  • Options
    VelmeranVelmeran Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I wouldn't mind doing some commentary, I'm in China at the moment, but the time difference is only 16 hours on the west coast, and 13 hours east coast, so midnight in my town of Portland Oregon is 4pm to me the next day. I have vent and relatively decent connection at times, though the great firewall might prevent something.

Also, I got my first kill, and I even was first into the ship this time and didn't die, awesome.

Velmeran on
    Vechloran.png
  • Options
    GenericFanGenericFan Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Grrr, my lame internet reverted to crappy 64kpbs (happens when I exceed my 1(!) gig bandwidth limit) so now I can't watch the video.

Will there be another 'character log' or could someone put up a written summary of events?

I hate my crappy internet plan with a passion.

GenericFan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I think I just found the perfect solution to your video woes. Vimeo is what all the cool kids at SA are using these days. It's got speed and quality comparable to Stage 6, but without the troublesome extra plugin.

Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    So, somebody uploads the video to vimeo then everyone can watch it with a small download speed without a troublesome plugin?

Neat.

GenericFan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Having finished my brilliant work on man portable Gigawatt lasers I think it's time to pick up one of those small devices you mentioned and try to work out its purpose. Perhaps it's for entertainment, say, an alien version of the ipod. Hmmmm, I wonder what this button does?

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Sweet, I'm downloading the update movie right now, can't wait to watch it. I really like this LP, keep up the good work! X-Com is fun stuff and the view participation makes it all the sweeter.

For when you get me in here:

"And its good to be here sir," Dr. Pil stated still blinking from the retinal scan as he entered the laboratory. "I've been looking at the data you provided me, and while I'm pleased to learn that the weapons have been so far effective, I believe there is a fundamental flaw with your design."

The proud smirk of a man who knows that he stands at the edge of human understanding consumed Richter's lips. "Well you see, evidence from the corpses of the aliens have proved that these lasers aren't going to cause as much structural damage. Now if we use recovered Elerydite benzyldihydroxide crystals..."

Richter continued to explain his design for hours, and even that the end he was filled with as much vigor and excitement as he had begun with. The man spoke like a child opening presents on Christmas morning. "... and sealing it all up in an Elerium casing should provide the required heat dispersion needed to get a functioning prototype."

The commander snorted. He had his mind elsewhere, but decided to let the little geek prattle on if it made him feel better. Now he knew he needed to get out of this lab and back to his men. "Yes Dr. Pil, but what exactly do you mean?"

The smirk had never left the scientists face and now he giggles with childish glee, "What I mean, sir, is that I think I can make them bigger. We're talking some seriously Heavy Lasers." (after that, laser cannons I beleive is the direction Dr. Pil would go)

piL on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    +++HEAVY LASER CANNONS WILL INCREASE MY EFFICIENCY BY 68%+++

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
  • Options
    piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    If I have my way, Lightbringer will be a giant mobile super laser.

piL on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Man, I want to snipe aliens. Call the shot!

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    ZampanoZampano Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Dear X-Com Command:

I, Recruit First Class Zampano, request that I be added to the Medical Division, so that I may aid my fellow man in his time of need on the battlefield.

Some grenades would be keen too.

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • Options
    BremenBremen Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Valkun wrote: »
    Is there going to be another session tonight, Bremen?

No, I need a break. I'll probably do the next session saturday afternoon/evening for anyone who wants to watch and commentate.

Bremen on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I hate all of you for making me start playing X-Com again. Don't you know I have course work and a big backlog? :|

However, I will be playing on superhuman. Wish me luck.

Valkun on
  • Options
    KerdosKerdos Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Bremen wrote: »
    Settling in

Kerdos made Captain. Grats! If you want to try you can run a battle, but it's not mandatory.
    JamesDM fills Kerdos' old sergeant position.
    Redstormpopcorn gets cut down while about to throw a grenade. It will be a closed casket funeral.

Thanks! I do enjoy a CiC who shows heavies their proper respect, 13 disposable riflemen to mark targets for my rocket!

That first shot shows the love that is large rockets. Some grey on the second floor? No problem, simply remove the second floor from the map and its taken care of. I can't take too much credit for the second shot, taking out a grey with their back against a wall with a rocket launcher doesn't take too much skill. I do have to give props to Zen on that rifle shot though, its was a hard one.

I'd love to run a battle, but my primary machine runs vista, which I've never been able to get x-com to run on. I do have an old laptop which I use to play x-com, but doubt it would allow me to run x-com, fraps, and vent at the same time. Actually, I'd imagine it'd have a seizure if I tried to load vent and x-com at the same time.

Oh, and I'll be assuming that I'm getting a nice officer-class suite in the new living quarters.

Kerdos on
  • Options
    KerdosKerdos Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Heh, figured since I gave you a compliment in-game, you deserve one in this thread. Been great so far, its the first thing I check when I get home from work. Even before my beloved Packers =)

Kerdos on
  • Options
    Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    <3 you Kerdos.

I'm dying to see my stats. I don't have a good enough connection to look at the vids yet.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    wenchkillawenchkilla Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    This is one of those games that I would beg a friend to play so that I can watch, and constantly make fun of him for screwing up, but never actually pick up the controller/keyboard. So yeah, perfect LP!

wenchkilla on
    gamingsig.jpg
    PSN/XBL: dragoniemx
  • Options
    LogicReasonLogicReason Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I, LogicReason, do hereby enlist in the X-Com forces as a soldier for the defense of Earth.

(that is, if you'll take me.. please? :) )

LogicReason on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Yeah. I want to try to get my acc up as high as possible and be a sniper from the back. Rifles or Heavy Weapons, depending on what a team needs.

Also: I want to be the first for psi training. And that was an incredibly lucky shot of mine from the second mission.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    kaliyamakaliyama Left to find less-moderated fora Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    i'd love to be a redshirt. i want to go bezerk with a laser rifle in the landing craft and murder everyone!

kaliyama on
    fwKS7.png?1
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    You probably wouldn't want to put that on your CV though.

GenericFan on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    VelmeranVelmeran Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Unless your joining one of the alien cults in a country that was taken over and wish to be a double agent! HO HO!

Velmeran on
    Vechloran.png
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I would like to be enlisted as a demolition soldier. Detpacks for the whole family!

EDIT: I just realized the irony of this post and my avatar.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    inthegrayinthegray Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Sign me up as a grunt. Just hand me a rifle and I'll get the job done. As you can see in my resume, I've got plenty of combat experience.

inthegray on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Why the hell don't you be an engineer or a scientist then?

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    RoshinRoshin My backlog can be seen from space SwedenRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So, did the aliens win already or what? :cry:

Roshin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    He said he might be busy until today.

I mean, it's not like there's multiple people playing.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Oh good, I thought maybe he got cold feet or forgot to wear his hat. That's how they get you, you know. With their mind probes.

Valkun on
  • Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I want a grenade named after me. I'd better be used to kill at LEAST a couple of aliens (or, a room full of civilians. Either is good).

Glal on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    So how's the alien invasion coming along bremen? Do I kill anyone and crush their skulls?

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    So is this dead? D:

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    If it is, there's no reason we can't start over, on superhuman. :winky:

Valkun on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    You go fuck yourself.

DO IT

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Valkun wrote: »
    If it is, there's no reason we can't start over, on superhuman. :winky:

Time of game; five minutes

Burnage on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I'm actually doing fine on my latest superhuman game.

Lose 2 on Small Sectoid Ship
    Lose 2 on Small Sectoid Ship
    Lose 6 on Small Sectoid Ship
    Go to terror mission with only 8 rookies
    and kill 30+ floaters and reapers with only one loss. :lol:

Valkun on