As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Looking at rifles & pistols

LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
edited November 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Lately I've been getting this itch to purchase a rifle and possibly a pistol. I haven't fired a weapon in almost 10 years from my time in the Army. I was a pretty good shot too so I just wanna stay in practice and have fun at a range.

Anyways, I feel like a civilian weapon n00b and know nothing about whats out there.

For a rifle I'm looking at something thats similar to the old M16 but more advanced, looks cool, semi-auto, not too long nor heavy, priced about $1000 or less.

As for pistols, something along the lines of the Berreta which I found online already easily. Can anybody recommend a good competitor?

Thanks!

LondonBridge on

• Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    regarding rifles:

"More advanced" than the M-16 it's not, but that's a tall order.

I've been eyeing a Mini-14, which is basically a slightly smaller civilian version of the M-14 that fires .223 rounds. They are $400-500.

Doc on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Doc wrote: »
    regarding rifles:

"More advanced" than the M-16 it's not, but that's a tall order.

I've been eyeing a Mini-14, which is basically a slightly smaller civilian version of the M-14 that fires .223 rounds. They are $400-500.

Well, maybe I should clarify that by advanced I mean 'looks cool!' No wooden stocks, lol.

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    Iceman.USAFIceman.USAF Major East CoastRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    an AR-15 is basically a civie M-16A2.

No autofire, fires .223. Fun stuff!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AR-15

Iceman.USAF on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Ok, here is an example of what I mean by cool. Anybody else recommend rifles like these?

http://www.hecklerkoch-usa.com/rifles_sl86_general.html

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    man the mini-14 looks cool

what the hell

There is the Kel-Tec SU-16. I don't know how good it is, but the front half of the stock turns into a bipod, transformers-style.

Doc on
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    A decent AR-15 will run you $900, you won't get an HK for anywhere near that.

Edit: The FN SCAR should see a civilian model in 2008. It'll be $$$, though.

Fats on
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Looks should have almost nothing to do with the gun you buy.

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    arod_77arod_77 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    Doc wrote: »
    man the mini-14 looks cool

what the hell

There is the Kel-Tec SU-16. I don't know how good it is, but the front half of the stock turns into a bipod, transformers-style.

The mini-14 is a goddamn can of worms full of fun mechanical problems, and the mags suck and are way too fucking expensive.

Plus the thing isn't even accurate.

arod_77 on
    glitteratsigcopy.jpg
  • Options
    Peter PrinciplePeter Principle Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'll second the SU-16. I've only handled it in the store, no direct experience with it, but what I've heard is accurate, reliable and affordable.

Your best bet might be to go to a gunshow and see what they have available.

For pistols, when you say "along the lines" of a Beretta, what do you mean? Same caliber? Same appearance?

Peter Principle on
    "A man is likely to mind his own business when it is worth minding. When it is not, he takes his mind off his own meaningless affairs by minding other people's business." - Eric Hoffer, _The True Believer_
  • Options
    King KongKing Kong Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Funny this thread is up. I am looking into buying a small pistol, .22 or . 25 caliber, just something to shoot in the woods on the cheap. What can I expect to spend?

King Kong on
  • Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I have a Bushmaster M4a3 and a Heckler & Koch USP .45, I absolutely love both:

bcwa3f16m4sm.jpg

Usp9MM.jpg

The rifle is about $920, the pistol is about $700

Zenitram on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Those Kel-Tec's are very interesting rifles! I live in NOVA and we have the gun show at the Dulles Expo center a lot throughout the year so I'll go there to check out the firearms.

Whats funny is that even though it's a right to own a firearm in the US it feels weird to buy one. Must be from all my years in the Army. Basic training alone will make you not want to touch another rifle again.

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    saggiosaggio Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'll second the USP. It's my favourite pistol ever. Zenitram, how do you find the USP in .45? I've heard mixed things about it.

As for rifles, what are you looking to shoot? Like, are you going for accuracy, do you want to be able to shoot off a whole crap load of rounds for cheap, or what? If it's accuracy, I'll say to you what I say to everyone else: get a nice bolt action. If you want to shoot for cheap, find yourself an SKS. Preferably a Romanian one, those are higher quality than some of the other ones floating around. The guns themselves are cheap, anywhere from $100 to $300 for a decent one, and a bit more expensive for the rarer variants. Also, the ammo they shoot is crazy cheap. My friend has one here up in Canada, and he buys ammo by the crate, and it definitely does not hurt his wallet too bad.

The other plus side to getting something like the SKS is that, since it's cheap, you won't be committing to something crazy expensive that you might regret later or won't use - like that very nice but very pricey H&K.

saggio on
    3DS: 0232-9436-6893
  • Options
    ZenitramZenitram Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The full-size .45 USP is great, but I hear you need decently large hands to enjoy it. It has very little recoil and great balance (people complain about balance, it's top-heavy unless you have a loaded magazine). I still need to get me some 12-rd magazines though, I bought it before the Assault Weapons Ban was lifted.

Zenitram on
  • Options
    Arch Guru XXArch Guru XX Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    From a pistol perspective, I just recently got the chance to try out a Springfield Armory XD-45. I was very happy with it, it was surprisingly light (lighter than a Beretta) and seemed quite accurate to me. Looks pretty slick too. I think they had a few for sale at the range, around $600 a piece.

Arch Guru XX on
    Should have been a rock star.
  • Options
    NrthstarNrthstar Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    From a pistol perspective, I just recently got the chance to try out a Springfield Armory XD-45. I was very happy with it, it was surprisingly light (lighter than a Beretta) and seemed quite accurate to me. Looks pretty slick too. I think they had a few for sale at the range, around $600 a piece.

Which XD barrel length did you get? I back this gun. HARD. I realize it's not the shape of a berretta, but this weapon is an excellent thing to have. It has the shape of a glock, but grip isn't at an awkward angle, it's lighter and just as reliable. Throw some irridium sights on it (they glow thanks to an ultra low level of radiation) and you have an excellent firearm.

The XD and the colt 1911 .45 are my prefered weapons of choice. You said you wanted the gun primarily to keep up some skill at the range, but if you decide to purchase a pistol for home defense also, I highly recommend purchasing a clip and loading at the first bullet with an air marshall round. It's designed not to puncture surfaces such as walls. This will keep you from accidentally firing through a wall and causing accidental damage. I got this idea from a friend who has two children that sleep across the hall from him.

Nrthstar on
    "Shut up and Die"
  • Options
    PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    Pistols aren't good home defense weapons, but I guess they're slightly less retarded than a rifle?

If the goal is home defense, get a shotgun. If the goal is having fun, then don't worry about the home defense aspect as it's irrelevant, and it's a completely unlikely scenario to ever occur anyhow.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
  • Options
    Durandal InfinityDurandal Infinity Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I agree for that, Bushmaster makes a GREAT cheap AR-15/m-4 system, while the SCAR-Ls and H&K G36Cs are awesome the are not what the op wanted. Beretta M9s are easy as fuck to obtain and IMHO the best 9mm pistol I have ever used, though I am a larger caliber user it is a great pistol especially since it was your GI.

Durandal Infinity on
  • Options
    AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    DrDizaster wrote: »
    Pistols aren't good home defense weapons, but I guess they're slightly less retarded than a rifle?

If the goal is home defense, get a shotgun. If the goal is having fun, then don't worry about the home defense aspect as it's irrelevant, and it's a completely unlikely scenario to ever occur anyhow.

What makes you say that? A full-length shotgun won't be very maneuverable in a small hallway, and you can't hold it on a target with one hand (say, to turn on a light or use a phone). It's also limited in storage options.

Of course it has reliability and availability of ammo going for it, but tactically the pistol seems superior.

(I realize this is a bit off topic, but this is a handgun advice thread.)

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Adrien wrote: »

What makes you say that? A full-length shotgun won't be very maneuverable in a small hallway, and you can't hold it on a target with one hand (say, to turn on a light or use a phone). It's also limited in storage options.

Of course it has reliability and availability of ammo going for it, but tactically the pistol seems superior.

(I realize this is a bit off topic, but this is a handgun advice thread.)

okay, this is off topic but it's worth explaining so let's take it to PMs or start a thread in D&D to discuss the subject if you really feel it's necessary beyond this:

First off, the moment you take one hand off the weapon to do something else, your attention is on that something else. If the other party is armed, whether you realize it or not at this point, you've done something very dangerous. You'll never complete a phone call if you try to do it while holding someone at gun point and that someone's carrying a pistol they haven't revealed to you yet.

Second, pistol shooting in the dark isn't going to be accurate. It just won't. So you have two options, you turn on a light and reveal your physical location, and if the other party is armed you're doing something extremely dangerous again.

If you're shooting in the dark, well, a bad situation is getting progressively worse. If you're using a large calibre, or even a small caliber in a home with drywall for walls, your misses are going to punch through the wall. What will they hit on the other side? You don't have any idea. Bystanders have been hit before.

Even a round not meant to puncture walls isn't going to get slowed down too much by drywall, or it's not going to be an effective round anyhow. Any pistol round sufficient to down someone in short order is going to be a risky one to fire in the dark, and let's face it: It's dark. You're probably going to waste all of your bullets without hitting anyone, you're just going to ruin your own shit, and while you're reloading he's going to get the jump on you or he's going to run for his life. And now you have a house full of shit you broke for yourself by firing wildly in the dark. I really hope you have a wonderfully forgiving insurance company.

So you can at worst hit someone on the other side of a wall, or you can at best ruin a bunch of your own stuff. The fantasy of having a wild west shoot out where only the bad guy gets hurt and all your stuff is miraculously fine is just a fantasy.

Now the shotgun, that's an interesting subject.

First, about barrel length in America: if it was not originally designed to be fired from the shoulder, it technically is not a shotgun. Therefore it does not matter if the barrel length is below the 18" minimum, or the overall weapon's length is below the 26" minimum, if it did not come with a shoulder stock.

Which means you're not necessarily looking at a weapon that's over 2 feet long. But let's assume you are.

You're going to want a 12 gauge pump action shotgun. Something that lets you shout "put your hands in the air or I'll shoot" and follow it up by that very ominous sound that signifies you've loaded a shell into the chamber. If it turns into a firefight, this is the advantage of the shotgun: You don't need to be accurate. If you set the choke to wide dispersal, as you're not going to be firing it at a target over 30 feet away, you can be pretty assured that you're going to hit something. Maybe it won't be vital but shredding up an arm or leg is a good first step.

You can also choose to use lower power shot that won't penetrate walls at greater distance. Because each pellet is so small, the drywall across the room from you will either stop it, or slow it down below a lethal speed. At the same time, being peppered across the arm, leg or face with something that dry wall just barely stopped is going to put the other party out of the fight.

Mostly, you want a shotgun because you can "miss" and still injure/kill the other party thanks to the spread pattern. They also have a frightening reputation, and the sound of a pump action is unmistakable. At the same time they're often safer for bystanders, and the barrel length (which can be very, very short if you choose the right model) is hardly an issue, given that you'll be in the dark, and ideally across the room or down the hallway from your target.

Pheezer on
  • Options
    AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Tangential, but highly important nonetheless. I'll just leave it at this.

The Box O' Truth -- See especially shotguns.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I have to say, while alot of the negative things that affect the pistol also affect the shotgun, the shotgun ch-chk is the most horrifying sound in the the world. You know you will get fucked up if you get hit, and the odds of getting hit are very high.

A large amount of a gunfight is how intimidating each weapon is, if all you're facing is a bang bang bang, one hole in the wall at a time, you're probably gonna think "ohshitohshitohshit i hope he doesn't hit me!".

If you see 2 metersof a nearby wall get totally fucked up following a tremendous boom, then hearing the next round with that ch-chk, all you can think about is bracing yourself and hoping to god he wont shoot at you again.

The Black Hunter on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    That taken into account, this really isn't a firearms debate thread. You can have one in D&D if you'd like one. This is about helping someone pick out a really cool penis compensator.

On that note, I wouldn't buy anything named "XD-" where the X literally stands for Xtreme, based on principle alone.

Pheezer on
  • Options
    ComahawkComahawk Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    That taken into account, this really isn't a firearms debate thread. You can have one in D&D if you'd like one. This is about helping someone pick out a really cool penis compensator.

On that note, I wouldn't buy anything named "XD-" where the X literally stands for Xtreme, based on principle alone.

Sadly the D&D mods throw hissy fits and assume anyone who uses guns are complete fucktards...

On topic though, a good pistol, check out the Walthers P99. I have one in .40cal, it's a very good pistol.

As for the guy asking about .22 pistols... you can probably pick up a Ruger Mk IV .22 Target Pistol for about $300-400, they are very accurate and reliable.

Comahawk on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    What do you recommend for a guy with small hands? It's been a while since I handled a pistol so I'm not sure what I'll feel comfortable with. I was looking at this sub-compact from Berreta:

http://www.berettausa.com/product/spotlight/5_of%20spotlight_pistol_subcompact.cfm

Update: I think I'm gonna settle on this pistol till I see it up close and get a feel for it. Has a lot of interesting features and Guns & Ammo had a good review of it too.

As for the rifles, I'm gonna shop around some as I don't plan on buying two weapons at once.

I have two coworkers that own a lot of guns though one is a H&K fanboy and the other is a Sig lover :lol:

LondonBridge on
  • Options
    Peter PrinciplePeter Principle Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Ah, I just remembered the Carbon 15. If you want an AR-15 that's "more advanced", this would fit the bill. Receiver made from carbon fiber, now made by Bushmaster. I looked at one of these when they were still made by USA weapons, it's startlingly light but (supposedly) just as good as a steel receiver.

Peter Principle on
    "A man is likely to mind his own business when it is worth minding. When it is not, he takes his mind off his own meaningless affairs by minding other people's business." - Eric Hoffer, _The True Believer_
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    What do you recommend for a guy with small hands? It's been a while since I handled a pistol so I'm not sure what I'll feel comfortable with. I was looking at this sub-compact from Berreta:

http://www.berettausa.com/product/spotlight/5_of%20spotlight_pistol_subcompact.cfm

Update: I think I'm gonna settle on this pistol till I see it up close and get a feel for it. Has a lot of interesting features and Guns & Ammo had a good review of it too.

Depending on how small your hands are, you may want to just stick with single stack magazine weapons. My smaller than average hands CAN hold onto a double stack magazine handgun like a Glock 17, but it's not comfortable as my single stack 1911.
    As for the rifles, I'm gonna shop around some as I don't plan on buying two weapons at once.

Something to keep in mind with rifles is that if you have the inclination to, you can buy a receiver and then add the other parts to it to make something to your specifications for a cheaper price than buying the rifle whole. AR-15s are famous for this and you could easily make something fancier than what you used in the service but still familiar to you (though I'll mention that the price for 5.56/.233 ammo is pretty high due to demand).

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    RocketSauceRocketSauce Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I don't get some of the hate for the XD. It's been a great gun for me, and I love shooting it. Nice to be able to hold 13 + 1 rounds of .45, in a 4" duty size pistol. It's accurate, and fits my medium sized hands great.

As for rifles, if this is just a gun to go to the range with (which I highly doubt it's just for that), I'd recommend a .22. If this is a gun that you can take to the range, do some hunting with, and want to put some lead down range accurately up to 300-400yds, get a bolt action. Remington's 700 series are well thought of, and can be had in the lower $500s if you look around. That's basically the gun the Army and Marines use to make their sniper's rifle platform from, although much, much more expensive.

You could probably pick up a cheap Enfield or Mosin-Nagant from a used gun store.

As for sexy black rifles like the AR, yeah, they're sweet, but I'd get acquainted with some other firearms first before blowing your load with the hottest bitch at the party.

RocketSauce on