As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Organising my digital music library

LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
So I have shedloads of MP3s on my hard drive, all from various sources (ripped CDs, legal downloads, stuff sent by friends) and it is all organised in my media player of choice (musikcube) with the correct details such as song name, artist name, album and track number.

If I browse to my music directory though, it is all disorganised. Ripped albums are in sub folders, and named in the format -

"(track number). (Song title) - (Artist)"

And in the folder -
I:/Music/(Artist)/Album/

For example

I:/Music/Beastie Boys/Ill Comunication/6. Sabotage - Beastie Boys.mp3

but downloaded stuff all has random filenames, and is just in the music/ directory.

Is there any piece of software that can look at all the information in musikcube and then arrange all my music to be in the same layout and have the same naming system as my ripped music?

Cheers.

LewieP on

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Good question. I know it's always a huge pain in the ass to reorganize 20 gigs of music if you want to switch music players, so hopefully your thread will turn something up.

TL DR on
  • RhakyrRhakyr Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I used a program called Mp3tag to rename all my files (%track%. %title% - %artist%) but it depends entirely on the fact that the ID3 tags are set up correctly in the first place.

Rhakyr on
    rhakyr.png
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Rhakyr wrote: »
    I used a program called Mp3tag to rename all my files (%track%. %title% - %artist%) but it depends entirely on the fact that the ID3 tags are set up correctly in the first place.

Another alternative that extends to things beyond just songs is Siren.

Jragghen on
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    MusicBrainz Tagger.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • bbmartinibbmartini Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Rhakyr wrote: »

That or Tag&Rename are probably the 2 best options. I think Tag&Rename is a better and more powerful program, however the non-trial version is about 10 bucks.

bbmartini on
    camo_sig2.png