Options

Do you think this is as far as MMORPGs will evolve?

• Options
    GlalGlal AiredaleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The 'single most popular' was a moment of madness.
    Then why didn't you simply say that earlier and we'd've been done with this?
    Unless you had, in which case whoops, butterfingers.

Glal on
  • Options
    TheEmergedTheEmerged Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Since everyone else is exploring PvP vs PvE evolution, I'll go in a direction that interests me more anyway.

So, "The Sims" is one of the best selling games, right? And "The Sims Online" bombed. Why? Large number of very stupid policy decisions, frankly, like expecting their playerbase to police themselves. That will never work. Period.

What would I like to see more of in games like UO/EQ/WoW? More Sim-like elements.

Okay, I heard some of you boink there. Let me be more specific.

I want towns to have NPC's that have a reason to be there other than standing around buy/selling supplies or existing to reduce my frame rate so much I want to leave (not sarcasm, I'm convinced that's why half the NPC's in Shattrath are there).

I want to be able to have housing. This was one of the things I miss from UO and was looking forward to in AO (but AO was an unplayable mishmash when I tried it, and I couldn't afford 2 MMORPG's at the same time). Not guild housing as yet-another-cash-sink, I want a place my character calls home and hangs trophies in.

I want to have reputations with NPC's. Not factions... individual NPC's. Yes, like The Sims. Complete with the possibility to become friends with, date, even marry NPC's.

I want role play to be rewarded. Players in a game are going to do what is rewarded, and until role play is rewarded there will be little RP in MMORPG's. I should be able to give that begger in Stormwind a few copper. If I tip the barmaid, she should bring my order a little faster next time -- and going to the tavern, sitting at a table, and ordering food should be a possibility.

I want to be able to change sides, at least once. I hear this was possible in EQ2. But if I view my Wood Elf Warrior who follows the War religion in the game wants to go join the Ogres & Trolls (from EQ1), that should be a possibility. If my human mage is sick of human xenophoia and wants to sign up on Thrall's team, that should be a possibility.

I want to have the option to give my character a reasonable backstory and have the world recognize it. To use WoW as an example, if I say my father died in the third war, an NPC from that war somewhere in the game should tell me they remember my father. Nothing too extreme here -- or obviously everyone is going to be the "chosen one" or similar trope. But if I say I grew up in Redridge, an NPC or two there should welcome me back when I show up.

TheEmerged on
    Sometimes, the knights are the monsters
  • Options
    EliteLamerEliteLamer __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    I agree, people don't really play to group or enjoy the community and especially not to role play anymore. WoW really has turned everything into a huge single player mmorpg.

EliteLamer on
    SEGA
    p561852.jpg
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    TheEmerged wrote: »
    Complete with the possibility to become friends with, date, even marry NPC's.

Okay, that's a little creepy.

reVerse on
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    reVerse wrote: »
    Complete with the possibility to become friends with, date, even marry NPC's.

Okay, that's a little creepy.

I'd love for that MMO to exist so that I could stay as far the fuck away from TheEmerged as possible.

Garthor on
  • Options
    MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Animal Crossing MMO can do wondorous things.

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    /humor on
    So, you're okay with mass murders, grave robbing, and open slaughter, but wanting to settle down creeps you out?
    /humor off

Seriously folks, I want my character to exist in a world. Is that so weird?

TheEmerged on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Yes.

Yes it is.

Garthor on
  • Options
    MarioGMarioG Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    It isnt. Hop on the Animal Crossing train.

MarioG on
    Kay wrote:
    Mario, if Slenderman had a face, I would punch him in it.

Hey, I have a blog! (Actually being updated again!)

3DS: 0860-3240-2604
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    /humor on
    So, you're okay with mass murders, grave robbing, and open slaughter, but wanting to settle down creeps you out?
    /humor off

Video game characters can die

But they can never love you

The way I could love you

Scooter on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    If you make player/guild housing, give me a reason to be there. Something besides "you can place trophies and furniture!" Maybe quick-travel to all of the capital cities that I've visited, and a way to access my house from any capital city. A storage area would be nice, too.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    It would never work in WoW, but if we get player housing, I want it to be a permanent part of the landscape, the way it was in UO.

Which isn't possible, because WoW's playerbase is so much bigger and I think the world is arguably no bigger.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Scooter wrote: »
    /humor on
    /humor off

Video game characters can die

But they can never love you

The way I could love you

I don't expect video game characters to love me -- I want them to love my video game character. You folks aren't seriously misunderstanding that, are you?

TheEmerged on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    That didn't even work out well for UO.

Garthor on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Garthor wrote: »
    That didn't even work out well for UO.

But it was infinitely cool.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    It would never work in WoW, but if we get player housing, I want it to be a permanent part of the landscape, the way it was in UO.

Which isn't possible, because WoW's playerbase is so much bigger and I think the world is arguably no bigger.

In UO it got so out of hand that you literally couldn't make a new plot. People were just buying and selling existing plots. For this reason, I think it would be better to have some kind of portal that transports you to the inside of your house, that exists in a void somewhere.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007

In UO it got so out of hand that you literally couldn't make a new plot. People were just buying and selling existing plots. For this reason, I think it would be better to have some kind of portal that transports you to the inside of your house, that exists in a void somewhere.

Runescape did this.

the coolness factor was zero.

Not because it was Runescape, but because it was just like...whats the point of having a house if its instanced and the people on the outside don't see anything.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    A modern cityscape game could it easily. You don't really see anything of an apartment from the outside anyways...just go to your building and click on the elevator, and once inside you've got windows showing a view of whatever area you're in.

Scooter on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

Runescape did this.

Not because it was Runescape, but because it was just like...whats the point of having a house if its instanced and the people on the outside don't see anything.

I'd rather that than literally having no space to make a house, thus making the prices of a house skyrocket because people who had more money than I did built houses everywhere.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    KalkinoKalkino Buttons Londres Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So you want NPCs to marry? Ok, lets make Harvest Moon into an MMO, the NPCS there don't seem quite as pyschotic as say the Animal Crossing ones (to avoid confusion I'm not dissing Mr Nook, he is a fine gentleman).

Besides, you can't get more real than running your own farm and trying to court a local girl or lad. Just think of it! You could run home, log in then lean on the fence for hours chatting with your neighbor about the crops!

Kalkino on
    Freedom for the Northern Isles!
  • Options
    edited November 2007

Runescape did this.

I'd rather that than literally having no space to make a house, thus making the prices of a house skyrocket because people who had more money than I did built houses everywhere.

Oh, I'm not disputing that its a horribly impractical design.

I'm just pointing out that I'm messed up, and the only thing I would love about having a house is saying "oh, yeah, mine's the one over by the west end of Tirisfal".

Rare deed drops from raid bosses, which actually then CAN be placed anywhere in the world and become permanent?
    Cos I wouldn't think there'd be much of an overcrowding problem then.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So, you want WoW to be ruled over by the landed gentry, basically?

Fine with me, my raid's in BT.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    hold your head high soldier, it ain't over yet
    that's why we call it the struggle, you're supposed to sweat
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Dyscord wrote: »

Suits me. Instanced houses for teh unwashed masses, status symbols for the proz kthx.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Suits me. Instanced houses for teh unwashed masses, status symbols for the proz kthx.

I remember housing in SWG. It was fine at first, me and my hunting crew had ourselves a little Hunter's Village on the edges of a swamp. There were about 7 to 9 of us living there. Nice and peaceful. Then one day we logged on to find the entire field east of the swamp had become a gigantic industrial park. Sadness.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Options
    SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    Axen wrote: »

I remember housing in SWG. It was fine at first, me and my hunting crew had ourselves a little Hunter's Village on the edges of a swamp. There were about 7 to 9 of us living there. Nice and peaceful. Then one day we logged on to find the entire field east of the swamp had become a gigantic industrial park. Sadness.

I actually like the sound of this entire quote tree. Talk about art imitating life. I guess the problem with most MMOs is trying to shoehorn something like that into it. You can't have people developing into land intended for quests and stuff. But limited land and thus sky-rocketing land prices when it gets over developed are fine. That's what player economies are there for. The trick is getting people to build a variety of residences, so someone can throw up a scummy tower block and rent out one bedroom apartments to the poorer players while richer players can buy up some land and plonk down a private pile.

And why not? EVE has player owned structures - space stations that them and others can dock in, rented office space in stations, moon POSs for mining and such like - while Second Life is a live-action testbed for stuff like player-controled land development. It's an idea with potential, for sure. Possibly unworkable in most MMO game mechanics due to the sheer amount of land you'd need to make available for the entire player base to have a fair chance and grabbing some, but perhaps something that would fit with future games.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

I actually like the sound of this entire quote tree. Talk about art imitating life. I guess the problem with most MMOs is trying to shoehorn something like that into it. You can't have people developing into land intended for quests and stuff. But limited land and thus sky-rocketing land prices when it gets over developed are fine. That's what player economies are there for. The trick is getting people to build a variety of residences, so someone can throw up a scummy tower block and rent out one bedroom apartments to the poorer players while richer players can buy up some land and plonk down a private pile.

And why not? EVE has player owned structures - space stations that them and others can dock in, rented office space in stations, moon POSs for mining and such like - while Second Life is a live-action testbed for stuff like player-controled land development. It's an idea with potential, for sure. Possibly unworkable in most MMO game mechanics due to the sheer amount of land you'd need to make available for the entire player base to have a fair chance and grabbing some, but perhaps something that would fit with future games.

fits with Space games, because the black space doesn't need to be rendered and detailed...a player can conceivably plonk something anywhere.

Whereas with a land-based MMO, at the very least the developers need to create the continent.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Probably what'd wind up happening (in a game like WoW) is that you'd have zones full of buildable land, maybe between quest zones or near cities. Which could be kinda cool, cause you'd wind up with neighborhoods and stuff like that.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

fits with Space games, because the black space doesn't need to be rendered and detailed...a player can conceivably plonk something anywhere.

Whereas with a land-based MMO, at the very least the developers need to create the continent.
    I think you absolutely need to allow people to build into NPC'ing areas. The magic of hideously inefficient cities being built on swamps where the dead periodically rise up and burn people's houses down would be awesome.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Probably what'd wind up happening (in a game like WoW) is that you'd have zones full of buildable land, maybe between quest zones or near cities. Which could be kinda cool, cause you'd wind up with neighborhoods and stuff like that.
    And then make it so you can organize pvp-raids against other guild's houses/temples whatever

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    And then make it so you can organize pvp-raids against other guild's houses/temples whatever

It's funny how often people who play MMOs like WoW fantasize about things that are common practice in EvE. I get the impression the sci-fi aspect of EvE is a big turn-off for a lot of MMO fans. I wonder how popular the White Wolf MMO CCP are working on is going to be?

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    As long as you don't have them so easy to take over that they're changing hands every other day, or a situation where the mightiest guild in the land rolls over all of them and annexes the entire countryside.

It's funny how often people who play MMOs like WoW fantasies about things that are common practice in EvE. I get the impression the sci-fi aspect of EvE is a big turn-off for a lot of MMO fans. I wonder how popular the White Wolf MMO CCP are working on is going to be?

I seriously consider EvE, it looks fascinatingly interesting, though I don't know if I have enough time for that, WoW (being MT of a guild, I gotta be around often enough), and RL things I gotta get done around here.

SabreMau on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

It's funny how often people who play MMOs like WoW fantasize about things that are common practice in EvE. I get the impression the sci-fi aspect of EvE is a big turn-off for a lot of MMO fans. I wonder how popular the White Wolf MMO CCP are working on is going to be?

Its the sci-fi aspect of Eve that makes most of its shit possible.

Space has unlimited room.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

But it's not that I hate PVE or something, on the contrary. WoW PVE can be great, and PVP is often frustrating when you meet a class that's designed to kill your class or be extremely strong against a certain skill tree of your class.

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2007

Not in EvE it doesn't. Thank god, otherwise there'd be no point in waging war with your neighbors.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

Technically speaking there's no reason land-based MMO can't have unlimited room. You can procedurally generate terrain, so anywhere someone drops a town just has it's seed number noted so it's saved.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

Technically speaking there's no reason land-based MMO can't have unlimited room. You can procedurally generate terrain, so anywhere someone drops a town just has it's seed number noted so it's saved.

Yeah, doesn't Second Life do something like this? Or something. Maybe not procedurally generated, but doesn't the island just keep expanding as people buy their own plot of land? Problem with that, though, is that you'd need land to be worth something because value breeds conflict and it's conflicts in games which are fun. Unlimited land means that land is inherently worthless, although actual location (or what the owner has spent time and money building on that land) might still have some value.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

Yeah, doesn't Second Life do something like this? Or something. Maybe not procedurally generated, but doesn't the island just keep expanding as people buy their own plot of land?
    Well I'm just thinking, even on land - a realistically sized continent would be much larger then most existing player worlds and a lot bigger then even all the occupied grids in EVE. There's no reason something similar couldn't be constructed - dealing with how people can get around quickly might be an issue though (not a big one - teleporters, waypoints ala Diablo II, or just underground trains or the like).

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    That's true. I guess if you wanted to, you could probably pre-build a game world with enough land mass to house as many players as you're likely to get. What's the biggest MMO subscription ever? WoW is something like 5 million, I think. That's about the population of Scotland and if you discount that most of Scotland is farmed land then there's probably a good 50:1 ratio of uninhabited land versus developed residential, industrial and commercial land in Scotland (according to Wikipedia, there's about a 1000:1 land/population ratio - 79,000 km2 and 65 people per km2). So you could use that as a basis for how much land you'd need to pre-build.

You could even fake it. Have cities that procedurally grow but broken up into districts that you can teleport directly too from any city portal (ala Oblivion). The city grows from the inside but never actually expands from the outside and it doesn't take you five days to get to your house from the city gates because you can teleport directly to your district.

There are so many ways you could do it, depending on what the game was like. You could even have some sort of steampunk fantasy game like Thief where the whole gameworld was one huge city and you could have buffer zones between questing and instancing regions that contained player-owned property in a similar district method.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Rare deed drops from raid bosses, which actually then CAN be placed anywhere in the world and become permanent?

Fuck.

That.

If they do this, I am going to form a guild specifically dedicated to camping outside these people's houses and kill them whenever they try to enter or leave. We'll call ourselves <Salt the Earth>.

I know I've said it several times before, but raid players = minority. So why cater to them?

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    I doubt they're as much of a minority as you think.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on