As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bluray/Game rental in the UK

Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
edited November 2007 in Games and Technology
Ok folks, I tried a few different game rental services when I first got my Wii, but soon decided it wasn't the best of ways to save money as the games for it are generally pretty damn cheap.

Being I'm getting a PS3 for xmas, I KNOW I won't be able to afford all the games I want, not to mention that Bluray (And HD-DVD) discs are pretty pricey at the moment. Saving to buy a house means I can't afford the luxury of £25 movies.

So I'm turning back to Online rental services. Does anyone have any experience with Lovefilm or Blockbuster for this type of service? I know I previously had issues getting "top" Wii titles to me (My high priority, AAA games normally never arrived and I ended up with Red Steal) at times and new DVDs, does anyone have similar problems with PS3 rentals? The same with Bluray, being a new technology I imagine they don't get as many copies in as DVDs, anyone had any problems?

The two options I have at the moment are Blockbuster and Lovefilm, there are some pure game rental sites but being I want movies, these are no longer any good to me.

Anyone have any other recommendations?

Thanks in advance guys.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
PSN: SirGrinchX
Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
Mr_Grinch on

• SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2007
    My mum and dad use Tesco for movies. Dunno if they do games. Amazon.co.uk also does rental now, IIRC. No personal experience with either, but they are both 'names' at least. If any of them do free trials, I'd recommend giving them a shot to see how they are before committing to any long-term contracts or however they work.

Szechuanosaurus on
  • Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Sadly, from my experience, trials never include HD stuff or games, which means I just have to go for one and hope for the best (Or make a thread like this and hope someone else uses one!)

Mr_Grinch on
  • ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    We used to use Amazon and it was decent enough. Only cancelled because we were receiving DVDs quicker than I could rip them, and I had a sudden pang of conscience.

ben0207 on
  • AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Asked a similar question in the UK bargain thread a whie back but no suggestions.

We are buying a house so will also be looking to do a rental service. Didn't realise some of them were supplying blu-ray, taht's even more of an incentive!

Sorry for the lack of input but will keep an eye on this thread and let you know if I find anything in the mean time.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Lave IILave II Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm using Tesco Film, due to signing up for 3 months rental nets me a free iPod shuffle. It's a decent service, but we are on the super lowest level (£4.98 for 2 dvd rentals a month) which I wouldn't stick with but makes the iPod £15.

They ARE lovefilm though. It's run by them on behalf of Tesco.

I'm tempted by upgrading to the game version, but by then your paying at least £10 a month.

Lave II on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Are blu-ray and HD-DVD region free, I always forget...

LewieP on
  • ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    HD is, BR isn't.

ben0207 on
    edited November 2007
    Does HD-DVD have the capacity for region coding and just no one has used it yet, or is the format incapable of region coding?

LewieP on
    edited November 2007
    But PS3 games are, oddly.

Speaking of which, does anyone know of a site or two that import PS3 games? Play asia won't to this country.

::edit:: They CAN switch on region coding if they wish. At the moment they haven't though.

Mr_Grinch on
  • ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    LewieP wrote: »
    Are blu-ray and HD-DVD region free, I always forget...

Most sony and nearly all the warner bros blu-ray movies are region free. The fox and most of the disney are locked though. Its all a case of looking.

I rent mine from my local blockbuster. Not bad if limited range of blu-ray movies at the moment for rental.

Ziggymon on
    edited November 2007
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Speaking of which, does anyone know of a site or two that import PS3 games? Play asia won't to this country.

Superufo
    YesAsia

I have used superufo once ages ago, they were fine, not used yesasia, but heard positive feedback.

LewieP on
    edited November 2007
    I tried with yesasia and when I got to the delivery page they wouldn't spring for UK delivery! Unless I did something really wrong. I just get:

"We are sorry. The following items are not available for your shipping destination country. Please confirm to remove them from your order or ship your order to another shipping address.

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (US Version) "

Superufo appear to though. I could get Uncharted for $55 + $22 shipping which works out about £38. Of course that's two week delivery but it's better than a lot of the prices in the UK.

Mr_Grinch on
    edited November 2007
    Ah, sorry, I didn't see any disclaimer saying they wouldn't ship to the UK so I assumed they did.

Uncharted is £32.99 at Amazon though...

Edit: Link

LewieP on
    edited November 2007
    Hmm, now to decide if I want to order from abroad, pay more and wait two weeks or order from Amazon, get it cheaper and not wait as long.

I was under the impression PS3 games were always daftly pricey, it seems I was pleasantly wrong.

Mr_Grinch on
    edited November 2007
    I think lackluster sales are creating some great bargains, to be honest I have not been focusing on the PS3 that much with my blog, since as far as I am aware, not a great deal of my readers own one, I may have to change that.

I should totally do a buying habits survey. Market research ahoy!

LewieP on
    edited November 2007
    Well, I shall soon be a PS3 owning reader, so keep that in mind :D

Back on topic it looks like Lovefilm is winning out, it currently has more Bluray titles than Blockbuster (192 to 287) and I've just noticed (to my surprise) Blockbuster doesn't seem to rent games online!

So unless anyone has any further suggestions it looks like Lovefilm is my only choice!

Mr_Grinch on
    edited November 2007
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Well, I shall soon be a PS3 owning reader, so keep that in mind :D

Back on topic it looks like Lovefilm is winning out, it currently has more Bluray titles than Blockbuster (192 to 287) and I've just noticed (to my surprise) Blockbuster doesn't seem to rent games online!

So unless anyone has any further suggestions it looks like Lovefilm is my only choice!

We signed up for the monster big package today so will let you know how it goes. Only things listed as long waits seem to be recent games (mass efect, cod4, umbrella chronicles)

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2007
    Aha a guinea pig! Keep me updated as to how well you get hold of games :)

Mr_Grinch on
    edited November 2007
    Most games seem to be a long wait but will let you know what we manage to get.

I didn't load up my list with games as we normally buy most stuff (why we need to do this instead and save some money).

Also out of the 3 at a time we are allowed, you can't customise your requests. For example, we can't set the account to always have 1 game and 2 films. Would be annoying if I got sent 3 games and no films then would have to send back a game to get anymore films D:

Well either that or try and complete one in some crazy long gaming session.....

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2007
    My plan is to load up my list with games. See what I get sent, if I somehow get sent two at a time, clear the list before sending a disc back and fill it with Bluray movies. Then when I want another game, clear my movie list, fill it with games again and send a disc back.

It makes sense up here *taps head* but probably nowhere else.

Mr_Grinch on
    edited November 2007
    I'm tempted to start renting games now I have a 360. Because I really like the 8-10 hour FPS/3rd person games, but bollocks am I paying an RRP of £50. Even if I get it at £35, thats about 3 months of rentals, of which time I could work through plenty...

Then pick up any favourites later on, 2nd hand for cheap.

Anyone tried swapgame? I may upgrade my tesco account to include games, but I would want to set it to 1 game 1 dvd. If you get me.

Lave II on
    edited November 2007
    Lave II wrote: »
    Anyone tried swapgame? I may upgrade my tesco account to include games, but I would want to set it to 1 game 1 dvd. If you get me.

I'd love to be able to do that but I don't think you can. It's very annoying as I'd like one game and one film out at a time.

Mr_Grinch on
    edited November 2007
    It's clear there is a demand for that. Maybe I'll email them and see what they say.

Lave II on
    edited November 2007
    Actually, I've just looked and they've recently started a "multiple lists" service:

"Multiple Lists is a new aspect of our service. It allows you to create more than one rental list and separate the types of discs you want to see, when you want to see them.

For example, you can create a Movie list, a Games list (if you are on a combination package), maybe a list for TV series. Or you might want to split your list into Genres…maybe an Action List and a Romance List? The choice is yours. There is no limit to the amount of lists you create, we simply ask you to keep enough titles in each list to ensure we can send the titles to you…10 titles in each list is normally enough. "

Just tried it, it is indeed exactly what we described :) One list for games and one for films. That has now sealed the deal, I'll definitely be re-signing up for lovefilm (I can still log in on my old account, and add films etc. Just to receive them I need to give them some cash!)

Mr_Grinch on
    edited November 2007
    OOoooooh, this is love film I guess, which is also tesco film, so that should work. Awesome.

I'll totally upgrade to include games in the new year then.

(As an aside - my new 360 should be delivered in an hour or so - woohoo!)

Lave II on
    edited November 2007
    Awesome stuff! If you need a...erm...buddy to team up with to get those free xbla arcade games mentioned in another thread then let me know :)

Mr_Grinch on
    edited November 2007
    Sorry, part of the deal in getting it means I give those games to a friend of mine. It's actually a bloody good offer and includes at least 5 games I would have actually bought.

Score.

Lave II on
    edited November 2007
    Nay matter then.

Anyway, my Bluray list and PS3 list is now full. I just need to activate it when I get paid :)

Mr_Grinch on
  • Lord ShplaneLord Shplane Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    It really sucks that you live in Engrand, otherwise I could have helped you. You see, Gamestop was having this "Buy two used game/accessories get one free" thing for Black Friday and the two days after. But I'm pretty sure they don't have Gamestop OR Black Friday in Engerland, so I can't really do anything.

Sorry. ;_;

Lord Shplane on
    Awww... My evil anime mask guy picture doesn't work. ;_;
    edited November 2007
    Good call Grinch, will seperate my big order pile into lists on me lunch break.

Didn't realise it worked like that :P

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2007
    Yeah, you (having a super uber 3 disc package) could have two films at a time and one game, or two games and one film, or split it so you had a Game, Film and TV list and have one from each.

It's actually quite a neat feature and one that's definitely swayed me in to renting from them again (I just need to be paid first!)

Mr_Grinch on
    edited November 2007
    Can you not just sign up again from scratch and get a free trial? ;)

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    edited November 2007
    I could, but the free trials don't include games so there's not much point for me :)

I'll just jump back in with cash!

Mr_Grinch on