As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GAME ON]X3: Reunion

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited November 2007
    The mouse and keyboard controls are really good, so it's worth trying them. When you get big ships, use the keyboard for turning or you'll go insane.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    The mouse and keyboard controls are really good, so it's worth trying them. When you get big ships, use the keyboard for turning or you'll go insane.

Tube on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Ok, so unplugged my joystick and now it's running like a champ (:() And after only a couple hours, I can now navigate around pretty well, and handle all the stuff I need to do...mostly. But now I'm just dicking around Argon prime and the surrounding territory, doing a little trading, but basically I have no money and no idea how to really make any. Is there any way to gauge demand for a product other than just flying there? If I wanted to pew pew some pirates, where should I head (in my little craptastic ship...which also has a damaged hull after hitting that asteroid).

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Ok, apparently my controls are like hella fucked up. It seems to think that holding a button means you're hitting it 50 million times in a row. If i hit escape to enter the menu, it flickers back and forth. My joystick controls only work sometimes, and I can't figure out how to make them work all the time. The throttle control is not actually the throttle, but a secondary lever on the throttle, and I can't reassign it. The missile launcher says hit the button to select a target and hold to fire, but holding it just makes it cycle through all the targets.

Has anybody else had similar issues? Am I the only one with these? I mean, I really want to use my badass joystick, but should I just use the mouse?
    Is it a Saitek X36 by any chance? If so, there's a weird problem with it reading the mode switch on the throttle as a button being pressed constantly, no matter what mode it's in. You have to disable it. It's been so long since I've fiddled with it though that I forget what I did. I'm pretty sure it involved a tweaked driver of some sort.

Syngyne on
    5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Syngyne wrote: »
    Ok, apparently my controls are like hella fucked up. It seems to think that holding a button means you're hitting it 50 million times in a row. If i hit escape to enter the menu, it flickers back and forth. My joystick controls only work sometimes, and I can't figure out how to make them work all the time. The throttle control is not actually the throttle, but a secondary lever on the throttle, and I can't reassign it. The missile launcher says hit the button to select a target and hold to fire, but holding it just makes it cycle through all the targets.

Has anybody else had similar issues? Am I the only one with these? I mean, I really want to use my badass joystick, but should I just use the mouse?
    Is it a Saitek X36 by any chance? If so, there's a weird problem with it reading the mode switch on the throttle as a button being pressed constantly, no matter what mode it's in. You have to disable it. It's been so long since I've fiddled with it though that I forget what I did. I'm pretty sure it involved a tweaked driver of some sort.

It is in fact a Saitek x52, I'd imagine it's something similar. I'd just as soon not have to tweak drivers, I'll just wait and bust it out on some other flight sim-y game.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Syngyne wrote: »

It is in fact a Saitek x52, I'd imagine it's something similar. I'd just as soon not have to tweak drivers, I'll just wait and bust it out on some other flight sim-y game.

Not sure if it's relevant, but you might want to check this thread out, someone had to do a bit of fiddling with their X36 to get it working right in the game.

Syngyne on
    5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    grab one of the sector maps to find the pirate territories. but closest one from Argon Prime is east, south, east - then either north or south. the border sector is Elena's something, then there are pirate areas to the north and south of that and beyond.

i managed to kill a couple pirates last night by assisting the local law enforcement as they battled it out. that way i was able to single out a ship. couldn't get them to eject though, so the only thing i gained was some rep. then i did a taxi mission and earned a whopping 1700 credits - putting me up to 2700! so i saved and then headed out to claim one of the abandoned ships i read about (the hauler). after some trouble locating some of the gates i made it to the right sector and claimed my ship, my fleet has doubled! i ordered it back to Home of Light to dock at Terracorp HQ and i started back myself. saved along the way, tried to fight some pirates, got killed, went to bed.

i guess i could start trading with my meager funds and that hauler. whats a good way to make some early trade cash, energy cells? i guess i could sell my buster for more startup cash - but i'm not sure i want to do that yet.

krylon666 on
  • Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Man fuck those cock clusters.

Meiz on
  • Options
    BurguBurgu Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    OK if anyones having a problem with voices in game, just update windows media player to 11

Thats what fixed it for me.

Burgu on
  • Options
    DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Meiz wrote: »
    Man fuck those cock clusters.

Well, someone has to say it.

You have to watch out for the Cock. They love to rush in hard and fast, swarming all over you. That's when they get you from behind. If you're looking for Cock, you can usually find a bunch around President's End. That's where the Cock love to hang out. But if you're going to tackle the Cock head on, you need to be watch out for their massive payload, as one shot directly to your face could mean it's all over for you.

Dartboy on
  • Options
    arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I mean seriously. what were they thinking when they named them that?

o.O

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Man you wait until you're fighting Cock Destroyers.

Also Cock Carriers.

Tube on
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The best part is whenever the voice actors try to say "kha'ak" they sound like they're trying to stifle a laugh.

Maybe in X4 we'll have to fight the Dih'hx. Then in X5 comes the Lh'ol'hl.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Pfft, finish X3. It's pretty obvious who we'll be fighting in X4.

Tube on
  • Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Pfft, finish X3. It's pretty obvious who we'll be fighting in X4.

Eh, if you're referring to the
    Terrans
    , I don't know. They played them up as not really giving a damn about the other species, out there. Plus (big endgame spoilers.),
    the cock are hitting the galaxy pretty hard. The last mission had a pretty decent sized fleet trying to hold off a swarm of Cock, and failing until the Terrans showed up. Then, on top of that, one of the storyline NPC's announced that similar invasions were happening all over the galaxy. Personally I want to know why the hell the Terrans need that mega-fleet, anyways. I mean shit, one of their ships is capable of soloing a dozen Cock capital ships, easily. Makes me wonder if the Terrans have their own set of enemies. It'd certainly be an interesting twist.

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Man I just hope they get more interesting villains. The cock and xenon are both silent and boring. I want more dynamic worlds. I want the split and boron to finally lose it with each other.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    You know, there was a rumor going around for a little while that Egosoft was working on a MMO/Online version of the X universe. No clue what happened with that. Though, if it was possible to have corporation versus corporation trade wars, that'd make up for the lack of interesting villains. Hell, the combat alone could make EVE look like crap in comparison, if it was doable. The group dynamic for it could be awesome, too. One guy, piloting a carrier, with another sixty or so players inside the carrier, in Argon Nova's, kitted out for warfare.

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Archonex wrote: »
    [/spoiler], I don't know. They played them up as not really giving a damn about the other species, out there. Plus (big endgame spoilers.),
    the cock are hitting the galaxy pretty hard. The last mission had a pretty decent sized fleet trying to hold off a swarm of Cock, and failing until the Terrans showed up. Then, on top of that, one of the storyline NPC's announced that similar invasions were happening all over the galaxy. Personally I want to know why the hell the Terrans need that mega-fleet, anyways. I mean shit, one of their ships is capable of soloing a dozen Cock capital ships, easily. Makes me wonder if the Terrans have their own set of enemies. It'd certainly be an interesting twist.

Did you ever use one of those mods that let you summon up any ship in the game, and pilot it? I did that with one of those ships and it was so game breaking hilarious I wasted an entire afternoon killing the entire galaxy. I'd cruise a xenon sector and wipe every last motherfucker out like it was no big deal.

Only problem with it was my video card thought it was a big deal. All that weapons fire made it cry.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    xzzy wrote: »
    Archonex wrote: »
    [/spoiler], I don't know. They played them up as not really giving a damn about the other species, out there. Plus (big endgame spoilers.),

Did you ever use one of those mods that let you summon up any ship in the game, and pilot it? I did that with one of those ships and it was so game breaking hilarious I wasted an entire afternoon killing the entire galaxy. I'd cruise a xenon sector and wipe every last motherfucker out like it was no big deal.

Only problem with it was my video card thought it was a big deal. All that weapons fire made it cry.
    I one-upped that, actually. I gave myself a fleet of ships. Including a couple carriers so I could tote around about a hundred fighters. I added in the race wars mod, and the race defense fleets mod, for shits and giggles too, along with the Anarkis fleet/carrier orders, and Xenon Migration mod.

It was epic. I plowed through the Argon home-sector like it wasn't even there. Nevermind the rest of the galaxy. The only thing that could even remotely slow my doom-fleet down were the Xenon home sectors, and Kha'ak sectors, due to all the ships flying around, meaning that my little armada had to hunt them down, piecemeal, or get involved in dogfights to take out the faster moving ships.

Archonex on
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    so i'm bummed out because i want to play x3 again but for some reason i get no voice overs, i updated my sound drivers and reinstalled the game and still no voices :|

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    someone said something about making sure you have media player 11?

krylon666 on
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    krylon666 wrote: »
    someone said something about making sure you have media player 11?

that did it!

thanks for the fix

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    fogeymanfogeyman Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    After you beat the main plot, you can still fly around and shit, right?

fogeyman on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Oh yeah. The plot doesn't really affect much. I wouldn't start it until you have some cash together though. Maybe like a million lying around. Some things happen that make life difficult, so don't start it unless you're willing to finish it.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    A minor plot spoiler, but it can also be important:
    The paranid kick you out of their kingdom about midway through the story, and any military patrols will attack your ships in their core sectors.

So if you want anything from that race, get it early, or steal it from them later. Or just make do without.

xzzy on
  • Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I've been reading threads about X3 for a while but never actually played it. My Freespace 2 install broke yesterday, which was all the excuse I really needed, so it's downloading on Steam as I type.

How much should I hate you all now, and how much of my time is this game going to eat up?

Hevach on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    If you get into it, a fucking staggeringly enormous amount of time.

I don't know how long I played it but I know it was terrifying and I only kicked it because my computer exploded.

Tube on
  • Options
    fogeymanfogeyman Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I remember two summers back, I would leave the game running overnight to earn more credits. I love automated traders.

fogeyman on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I looked at my played time last night, and it's something like 13 hours. I haven't even accomplished anything, and it didn't feel like more than 2 or 3 hours. Not even WoW gave me those kinds of timelapses.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Cherrn wrote: »
    I looked at my played time last night, and it's something like 13 hours. I haven't even accomplished anything, and it didn't feel like more than 2 or 3 hours. Not even WoW gave me those kinds of timelapses.

Morrowind and Freelancer were pretty good at that for me. Thank God Morrowind doesn't track played time - my best guess is that one savegame I had represented around 500 hours of work, and I didn't even have all skills maxed, just mastered all the factions, became a vampire, cured myself, became a werewolf, cured myself again, and played through a crap ton of mods and sold almost every item in the game that wasn't nailed down to the Balmora pawn shop. I had about a dozen stacks of a million gold each sitting on the sidewalk in front of that shop and another several hundred thousand on me.

I'm pretty sure I'm doomed once this finishes downloading.

Hevach on
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Hevach wrote: »
    Cherrn wrote: »

Morrowind and Freelancer were pretty good at that for me. Thank God Morrowind doesn't track played time - my best guess is that one savegame I had represented around 500 hours of work, and I didn't even have all skills maxed, just mastered all the factions, became a vampire, cured himself, became a werewolf, cured myself again, and played through a crap ton of mods and sold almost every item in the game that wasn't nailed down to the Balmora pawn shop. I had about a dozen stacks of a million gold each sitting on the sidewalk in front of that shop and another several hundred thousand on me.

I'm pretty sure I'm doomed once this finishes downloading.

Yeah, you're pretty well fucked. There's plenty to do and plenty to take control of in X3. There's also plenty of money to make and ships to buy.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Well, download's finished. It was nice knowing you all, godspeed.

Hevach on
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I think my only real problem with this game is how often AI-controlled pathing gets your ships killed. If you ever leave your SETA running for an hour or so and come back to find one or more of your traders has vanished, chances are it's not pirates. The trader AI is really good and never gets so low on energy that it can't jump away from a pirate attack.

Oh no. Your brilliant veteran rank 25 universal trader has flown headlong into an asteroid or ship or other stationary object and blown up millions of credits worth of experience and ship.

Edit: Although, in fairness, this doesn't ever happen when you're not in SETA, and just the fact it can make your game run at 1000% speed means that something is bound to fuck up eventually.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I think my only real problem with this game is how often AI-controlled pathing gets your ships killed. If you ever leave your SETA running for an hour or so and come back to find one or more of your traders has vanished, chances are it's not pirates. The trader AI is really good and never gets so low on energy that it can't jump away from a pirate attack.

Oh no. Your brilliant veteran rank 25 universal trader has flown headlong into an asteroid or ship or other stationary object and blown up millions of credits worth of experience and ship.

Edit: Although, in fairness, this doesn't ever happen when you're not in SETA, and just the fact it can make your game run at 1000% speed means that something is bound to fuck up eventually.

The way to prevent that is to just park in a system with no stations. There's no collision for OOS ships. What's happening is the ship is wandering into your sector and then crashing, because with SETA on the AI does not do a good job of dodging objects.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    fogeyman wrote: »
    I remember two summers back, I would leave the game running overnight to earn more credits. I love automated traders.

That's good for credits but later in the game it completely destroys your ranks, which take longer to build and are a complete fucking pain to get back.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

It also doesn't happen unless you're in the sector. There are no collisions when you're out of sector.

In fact out of sector is a totally different combat ballgame. Shots never miss out of sector, so guns that never hit but are very powerful are awesome out of sector. Combat out of sector comes down to biggest guns and biggest shields wins.

Tube on
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Huh, I had no idea stuff worked different out of the sector. That's interesting. But what exactly is killing these ships that are sectors away and don't report any sort of attack? All I get is a message they've been destroyed. No report of combat, no nothing.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    they're getting killed so quickly they don't have time to send a distress signal. Make sure they're all shielded up, but otherwise there's not much you can do.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    You'll notice it's normally happening somewhere like Elena's bloody Fortune or the dreaded Pirate Alley. If someone finds a script that lets you specify "DON'T GO INTO PIRATE SECTORS, RETARD" I'll be forever grateful.

Tube on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    There's always someone who thinks they can make the Kessel run in only 12 parsecs and gets proved wrong.

Man I have no idea what I just said but from reading this thread I really want this game. How big is the download from steam? I have download caps to consider here in dingo land.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.