As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[GAME ON]X3: Reunion

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Just over 4 gigs installed. Not sure how much the download itself was.

Hevach on
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited November 2007
    Anyone who's played far enough to get to the staggeringly irritating complex building interface might like this

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=172015&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

tell me how it is

Tube on
  • Options
    CullenCullen Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Anyone who's played far enough to get to the staggeringly irritating complex building interface might like this

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=172015&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

tell me how it is

Wow that looks really cool. The picture in the thread is crazy. I'll get back to you on whether its good or not once I've played another 300 hours or so and can afford it :)

Cullen on
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    fogeyman wrote: »
    I remember two summers back, I would leave the game running overnight to earn more credits. I love automated traders.

I considered that option, however considering how it'd eat up large chunks of electricity and my vast knowledge of cheating from my Amiga days using an Action Replay mk3 I simply hex edited the files to give me the money I wanted after i'd already completed the game a few dozen times. (plus other stuff)

Notes for hex editing cheaters:

The X3 saves are compressed using zip, however they are compressed with no file name. Meaning if you try to re-compress the decompressed file using a normal compression utility such as winzip, winrar etc then it won't work. You'll need to compress it using gzip and the no-name command.

For example (working from memory here), after decompressing X01.sav to X01, hex editing the cash you then make a copy of the original X01.sav then do the following "gzip -n X01" it will create a file called X01.gz, you then rename X01.gz to X01.sav. Hey presto you've got yourself an edited X3 save game, you can do more than just edit your money too... :)

Also, you can actually re-compress your saves to a smaller file size than X3 uses thereby saving on space if you have a fair few. (example: "gzip -n9 X01")

Using the above also deletes the file that you're compressing, if you don't want it deleted then use the stdout method: "gzip -n9c X01 > X01.sav". The bonus to this method is you don't have to go renaming a file.

It's been a while since I last played X3, think i'll dig it out tonight and play.

If I remember correctly originally the X3 saves weren't compressed at all, I think people were complaining on the Egosoft forums about how large the X3 saves were so in a patch they made it that when it saved it compressed it down. I would install from my original game cd/dvd (can't remember which it uses) just to look but then i'd be installing starforce... therefore i'll be playing X3 via Steam tonight I think.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    i remember someone saying that if you install from dvd, then patch (without ever running the game), it will remove the starforce and it never actually gets installed on the machine. but i don't know if thats the case, and i went with steam. but it could save you the time of downloading it.

as far as editing the saves go.. i'm not horrible with cheating, but i find sometimes if i know i can easily give myself money i'll just do it again and again. not sure if i wanna go that route or not. i did start over last night using Quickstart for extra funds, and only did the initial patrol mission. then it was back to sandboxing for me. i got myself up to about 350k (from the initial 100k) and full rudder+speed upgrades on my mercury and a trade extension and a few nav sats. much better start than my custom games

krylon666 on
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Yeah that's how it went for me. I got the multiple CD version ages back and recently reinstalled it, expecting to have to use the starforce removal tool. But after going through all the steps with installation and patching, I found I had no starforce to remove in the first place. It won't install on your system until you actually start the game up.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Any specific advice starting out? I think I'm doing alright - I took the quick start route, found an empty Hauler and took it over, and managed to capture two pirate fighters (One of which I then proceeded to crash into my Hauler twice before I discovered autodocking and realized parking my largest ship across the docking area of a shipyard was a bad idea).

I've seen a few posts about autotraders, but not much explanation on how they work. If I sold off the hauler, I could easily outfit my smaller freighter (Or possibly the other way around, I haven't checked how much I can get for my Mercury), but what's required to do that, and where do I buy it? For the most part, the ships I'm interested in keeping are just parked around Argon Prime taking up space while I try to scrape a profit capturing what I can manage.

Hevach on
  • Options
    krylon666krylon666 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    this is a good read for an overview of trading early in the game. covers the basics about ST/UTs (sector traders/universe traders) and has some nice tips. its a short read and should get you started.

i need to make the trip up and grab that abandoned hauler as well. not sure of its stats, so i'll either sell it for another mercury or get it ready for UTing eventually. i still need to work up more cash before i can afford setting up ships for that. i finally capped a ship last night, too bad he bailed at like 10% hull in his Falcon. i'm not sure how much they sell for but i bet with all that damage i don't see much.

krylon666 on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm still very much on the upward slope of the learning curve, but I'm making progress. Specifically, I learned today that my buster is no match for a pirate harrier. Especially if there's two of them.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Keep trying. Harriers are fast but they're total pussies. Your buster can take them.

EDIT: Bind your strafe keys and use them, often.

EDIT 2: Make sure you've got your maximum shield and lasers equipped, if you have the cash. Your starting loadout isn't fully pimped.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Well, it might have been a different story if I saw both, but the other one came up from behind me. And I don't have the max weaponry, I was just planning on doing some trading for a while, while getting the hang of stuff. I only went against them because I was following this little mission I got to help rescue some woman's daughter. We might have gotten there too, if she had given me some directions on how to get there.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    How good is the dogfighting in this game. Does it have super realistic physics or is it all lolol jetplanes in space? Not that I mind this, in fact I love this, it being one of my favourite unrealistic space game mechanics and one which I will always not just allow, but almost require.
    What I'm trying to say is can I suddenly backburn to let a bogey on my tail over shoot me and then send a volley of screaming high tech death up his six?
    Do the destroyers do broadsides or front on? How is the tactics with capital ships and stuff, is it worth maneouvering?

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    How good is the dogfighting in this game. Does it have super realistic physics or is it all lolol jetplanes in space? Not that I mind this, in fact I love this, it being one of my favourite unrealistic space game mechanics and one which I will always not just allow, but almost require.
    What I'm trying to say is can I suddenly backburn to let a bogey on my tail over shoot me and then send a volley of screaming high tech death up his six?
    Do the destroyers do broadsides or front on? How is the tactics with capital ships and stuff, is it worth maneouvering?

Physics are Newtonian. No 90 degree turns here. As for capital ships, it's mostly strafe strafe strafe to avoid enemy gunfire. The enemy capital ship AI is pretty simple, so you'll be taking almost no hits while laying streams of fire on them. It only gets complicated when you engage multiple capital ships at once. Then you have to be realy good at dodging PPCs.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Haha, in X2 not maneuvering, and instead purposely parking a large ship, was a good way to get the AI to crash all its small craft into you and die. I think I heard that they fixed in this in X3, but some players strongly dislike the new combat system for some other reason that I don't remember.

I think the consensus is that the combat in the X games is nothing to write home about, although the plot is generally acknowledged to be the worst part of the series.

Orogogus on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Hmmm. Modified newtonian or do I have to fully stop my momentum with an opposing burn?

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The game will slow you to a halt if your thrust is zero.

Not sure if they explain it with technobabble or not, never bothered to read up on the backstory.

xzzy on
  • Options
    arcatharcath Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Modified Newtonian.

arcath on
    camo_sig.png
  • Options
    DuoDuo Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Damn you fuckers to hell. Now I have to go play X3 for another bajillion hours, wishing the whole time there was multiplayer.

*grumblegrumble*

Duo on
  • Options
    Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Multiplayer in X3 wouldn't be a lot of fun, except for maybe massive epic space battles.

Cilla Black on
  • Options
    Fartacus_the_MightyFartacus_the_Mighty Brought to you by the letter A.Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    arcath wrote: »
    Modified Newtonian.

To be extremely technical, it's strict Newtonian with automated reverse burns. If you pilot a fast ship that's got readily visible strafe/turn thrusters, you'll see the opposite ones fire when you stop strafing/turning.

Fartacus_the_Mighty on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Modified Newtonian.

To be extremely technical, it's strict Newtonian with automated reverse burns. If you pilot a fast ship that's got readily visible strafe/turn thrusters, you'll see the opposite ones fire when you stop strafing/turning.

That's actually really interesting. Dammit. I think I'd better stop talking about it since I can't afford it for a few weeks.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Multiplayer in X3 wouldn't be a lot of fun, except for maybe massive epic space battles.

It might let you see some actual fleet action for once. Using a fleet in X3 is generally a bad idea, since the capital ship AI is so terrible. In multiplayer though... mmmm. Of course, nobody has a computer that can handle that many ships going at it at once. Maybe in X4?

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    squirlysquirly Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    And that's why we have Nexus: The Jupiter Incident.. except no one plays it and it doesn't work on Vista. :(

squirly on
    Diablo2 [US West; Ladder]: *DorianGraph [New/Main] *outsidewhale [Old]
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Capital ship battles are a bit simple but good fun. It's probably the most arcadey part of the game. Destroyers are just destruction wagons.

Tube on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Evangir wrote: »

It might let you see some actual fleet action for once. Using a fleet in X3 is generally a bad idea, since the capital ship AI is so terrible. In multiplayer though... mmmm. Of course, nobody has a computer that can handle that many ships going at it at once. Maybe in X4?

The real problem with high level X3 isn't with the ship AI really, it's just that there's nothing for you to actually take a fleet against, other than going and splatting some Xenon. I mean, it's cool being able to have a carrier containing 30 ships, but there's no real benefit to it.

Tube on
  • Options
    FatsFats Corvallis, ORRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The top two difficulty settings in Race Response Fleets are nice for adding bigger battles, though if you aren't actively helping the friendly races they'll be beaten pretty badly.

Edit: late night grammar

Edit2: I hate you Burgu for making an X3 thread. I have other things to do.

Fats on
  • Options
    ChenjesuChenjesu Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I never got very far in the game last time I played, but just reinstalled. I have two questions:

I have a Best Buy Locator, Trade Software Mk3, a Mercury, and a Discoverer at the moment. I'm ready to start the Mercury as a System Trader. Does the Best Buy Locator provide a benefit for the System Trader ship, or should I move if off of there?

I've explored some Paranid space, and it was mentioned that there are some good systems there for making money, but their stations won't let me dock. How exactly do you build reputation with the Paranid when you can't really interact with them?

Chenjesu on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Kill some pirates or Xenon in their space to build up rep. Empire's Edge (a Paranid sector) is just incredible for Sector Traders.

Also the best buy locator thing won't really help a sector trader but it might come in handy, who knows. It's pretty cheap either way.

Tube on
  • Options
    The Raging PlatypusThe Raging Platypus Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Allright, you guys have me convinced. I don't feel like playing $10 bucks a month for Eve again, but this looks really interesting.

Question though: Some people have expressed that X3 doesn't improve much over X2 beyond cosmetic changes and gameplay tweaks. Would it be better to play X2 and avoid some of the hassles that come with X3?

The Raging Platypus on
    Quid wrote: »
    YOU'RE A GOD DAMN PLATYPUS.
    PSN Name: MusingPlatypus
  • Options
    MetalbourneMetalbourne Inside a cluster b personalityRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Allright, you guys have me convinced. I don't feel like playing $10 bucks a month for Eve again, but this looks really interesting.

Question though: Some people have expressed that X3 doesn't improve much over X2 beyond cosmetic changes and gameplay tweaks. Would it be better to play X2 and avoid some of the hassles that come with X3?

I'll have to admit that X3 has a much easier interface to navigate than X2.

Metalbourne on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

X3 has a bunch of stuff that is more goodest than X2, like complexes. It's also balanced better, until the Bala Gi missions screw everything up.

Tube on
  • Options
    BurguBurgu Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Edit2: I hate you Burgu for making an X3 thread. I have other things to do.[/QUOTE]

:winky:

Burgu on
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Modified Newtonian.

That's actually really interesting. Dammit. I think I'd better stop talking about it since I can't afford it for a few weeks.

Actually, it's very lightly Newtonian. If you want a game that has Newtonian physics then you need to play Elite 2 or 3.

If X3 had Newtonian physics in any real sense then when you had the engines on you'd keep accelerating faster and faster until you hit the light speed barrier at which point you'd have spacetime general relativity issues.

I miss Elite 2 & 3, think i'll dig them out.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    If you think the ships would eventually break the light barrier I would question your grasp of newtonian physics.

Tube on
  • Options
    LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    X3 is great fun. I'd recommend adding Roguey's Mod as well - it adds a lot to the game. Available here.

Legba on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    If you think the ships would eventually break the light barrier I would question your grasp of newtonian physics.

You're thinking relativistic physics. In newtonian physics, there's no relativistic correction. c is not a constant or a limit, and both mass and linear measurements are constant. As a result, an object with finite mass requires finite energy to exceed the speed of light. In relativistic physics, c is a constant, mass and linear measurement are variables, and there's a third term added to all of the forumlas. So an object with finite mass will require infinite energy to reach c, and will have infinite mass and zero dimension (if measured from a stationary frame of reference) when it reaches c.

Hevach on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Arrgh. So I bought the Trade System Mk3 for my Mercury, and set it up as a Sector Trader. It is now Level 9, but I cannot set it to Universe trader. The option is below Sector Trader, but is hollow (not selectable) rather than filled (selectable). In fact, the first four items (Buy, sell, buy at best price, sell at best price) are also unselectable, but ST works fine. Is there some other requirement for UT?

Solved. The 25 MJ shield did it.

Chenjesu on
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Chenjesu wrote: »
    Arrgh. So I bought the Trade System Mk3 for my Mercury, and set it up as a Sector Trader. It is now Level 9, but I cannot set it to Universe trader. The option is below Sector Trader, but is hollow (not selectable) rather than filled (selectable). In fact, the first four items (Buy, sell, buy at best price, sell at best price) are also unselectable, but ST works fine. Is there some other requirement for UT?

Jump drive, think they need a shield of some kind, and whatever the best trade system is (think it's mk3 but been a while since I played so I can't remember well). They may also want a best buy/best sell upgrade.

xzzy on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Actually, I just tried that, and no dice. It has Trade system 1,2,3, nav system 1, Special command system, a jumpdrive, Trade Extension, Combat System 1 and 2, and the Best Buy and Best Sell Locators. It only has two 5 MJ shields, so I suppose that might be an issue. When I get a chance, I'll try to dig up some 25 MJs to stick in there, and see what happens. Though the manual says the he'd just buy any of that stuff himself, if he wanted it.

Chenjesu on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I thought you needed some other kind of upgrade...I don't remember, it was in that guide someone posted earlier in the thread, but which I now cannot find.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif