As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Changing the Windows XP serial key

urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
Hey guys. I was wondering if you know a way to change the serial key for Windows XP. My company has it's own key that they want us to use so I can't use the one this Dell Notebook is using. The problem is, this laptop had the key already inputted for me, so I couldn't change it.

We have this .exe file that supposedly changes it, but it wont let me do it. Does anyone know where in the registry it's located? I'd love to get this changed, so I can make a Ghost image of this new laptop. If you have any questions let me know. :)

urahonky on

• MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    If your company has a Volume License Key (a "corporate" or unrestricted key), it will not work correctly in an OEM (or preinstalled) version of the same product.

The key must match the type of media used. It may be possible to reimage the laptop using the company's Volume media kits. It's also not possible to reliably make an image (possible, but not recommended, due to the way it activates) from an OEM install.

Morskittar on
    snm_sig.jpg
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    At least I found this out now. :) Sigh... Gotta format and get the drivers the long way. Thanks for the heads up!

urahonky on
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Haha... Jesus I'm stupid. We have a ghost for the laptop... I just assumed we didn't... THIS THREAD IS OVER!

urahonky on