As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Looking for a good RPG

2»

• Options
    KrowserKrowser Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Burnage wrote: »
    If your PC can't play Oblivion, try finding Morrowind. That'll run perfectly on your set-up.

Does it run well? With reasonable graphics?

Krowser on
  • Options
    redstormpopcornredstormpopcorn Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Your machine sounds like it should be able to handle Oblivion pretty well. Probably not at HolyShitxOhMyGod resolution with every shader and draw-distance setting maxed, but it'd certainly be playable. If it isn't, for some reason, it'll definitely run Morrowind like a champ with everything cranked up to 11; my AXP 3200+, gig of PC3200, and Radeon 9600XT plays Morrowind at a solid 60 frames with gobs of graphics & environment mods stacked on.

redstormpopcorn on
    emot-kamina.gifBELIEVE IN YOU, WHO BELIEVES IN YOURSELF emot-kamina.gif
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines. No more really needs to be said.

DisruptorX2 on
    1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    How are Luminous Arc and Hoshigami Remix: Ruining Blue Earth?

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    BurnageBurnage Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Krowser wrote: »
    Burnage wrote: »
    If your PC can't play Oblivion, try finding Morrowind. That'll run perfectly on your set-up.

Does it run well? With reasonable graphics?

My PC's got an AMD Sempron 2200+, 1.5ghz processor, 512mb RAM, same video card as you, and it runs Morrowind perfectly. The models are obviously not of the quality you'd expect from a game that came out a year ago, say, but with the right mods the game can compare well to today's games.

Burnage on
  • Options
    PeasPeas Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Give Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura a shot!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arcanum:_Of_Steamworks_and_Magick_Obscura

Arcanum: Of Steamworks and Magick Obscura (aka Arcanum) is a computer role-playing game with a cult following. Developed by Troika Games and published by Sierra Entertainment, it was released in August 2001. It is played in isometric perspective and takes a steampunk-high fantasy setting.

Nsf56k:
    spoiler
    2.jpg

5.jpg

4.jpg

Peas on
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm going to reiterate what some other people have said:

Fallout + Fallout 2
    Planescape: Torment
    Baldur's Gate + Baldur's Gate II
    Arcanum
    Anachronox
    Neverwinter Nights 2
    Deus Ex (play it again lol)
    Vampire: The Masquerade - Bloodlines
    System Shock 2

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I just tried morrowind and... no. Thats not a game for me. The skill leveling system is original but stupid. If there is one thing that really annoys me it's grinding. That and The graphics are old, I'm confused as to how half the game works and I don't feel like spending a whole day to beat the learning curve.

I'm at that first quest given to you by Caius, I had to reload like 6 times before I beat the moron on the bridge with his skeletons. I found the valve and halfway through the endless dungeon with no map I pressed Alt-F4 and hit up Add/Remove software as quickly as I could.

Krowser on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Try picking up an old dreamcast or a gamecube for a bunch of stellar RPGS. skies, grandia et al.

on the face of it they are jrpgs, but they kinda arent.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    RookRook Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    grandia II came out for PC, and it was pretty good.

Rook on
  • Options
    VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Technically it's a strategy game, but because of it's RPG-like skill advancement system. I gotta say Silent Storm

VoodooV on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    VoodooV wrote: »
    Technically it's a strategy game, but because of it's RPG-like skill advancement system. I gotta say Silent Storm

It's not just "technically" a strategy game. It's a strategy game in every single aspect except the skill trees. Plenty of games have those. Someone who wants and RPG is not going to be satisfied with Silent Storm.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    Vert1Vert1 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    What you really need is Resident Evil 4. The symptoms you seem to be showing made this quite clear to me.

Vert1 on
    blood_berry_new.jpg
    Sleep wrote: »
    Vert1 wrote: »
    I'd like to ask everyone here one question. What is a game?

A lower form of sex.
  • Options
    ChildrenChildren Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    But what you really need is an xbox so that you can play Mass Effect. Seriously, the game you are looking for is Mass Effect. To the extent that someone thought your post was viral marketing for it.

Children on
    360 tag: A Blue Mushroom
    skate, halo 3
  • Options
    Vert1Vert1 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Does Mass Effect let you suplex bitches?

Vert1 on
    blood_berry_new.jpg
    Sleep wrote: »
    I'd like to ask everyone here one question. What is a game?

A lower form of sex.
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

It does...
    In the bedroom... :winky:
    ...That didn't come out right...

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

You're actually looking for Hybrid Heaven.

I mostly said that as a joke, but upon reflection...

If the OP has an N64, I do highly recommend it. Good RPG, fun story. Lots* of different attacks. Most interesting feature is that (e.g.,) if you do a head-butt, your head increases in strength, making further head-butts more powerful. Reverse is true; take damage in a body part, and it'll become more resistant. It's relatively unknown - I added the Mobygames entry.

Some frame-rate issues. Story does boil down to 'are you a bad enough dude to rescue the president??!', but then, what game's story shouldn't? ;-)

* and by lots I mean a metrick fuckton. we're talking "Upper Middle High Kick"-level detail

Tamin on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I didn't own a console since the NES so I'm stuck with PC games.

So I'll try Vampire. That game, Silent Storm, looked pretty cool.

Krowser on
  • Options
    roflgoblinroflgoblin Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Krowser wrote: »
    Hi guys, I've been looking for a good RPG lately without luck and then I thought... why not check the PA forums.

So, idealy I want to try a SCI-FI RPG. I tried both KOTORs and they were fun but way too easy. And KOTOR 2 was so buggy I never got to finish it.

I'm done with MMOs for now so Eve-Online is out of the question (Besides, there is nothing to do). If there are no good sci-fi games right now I can settle for a Baldur's gate quality game.

Any suggestions?

Krowser,

By now you've probably come to a conclusion, but let me help you. I am a big RPG fan, and enjoy gaming with a great, engrossing story. I've been stuck on old games for the last couple of years. I pulled out Baldur's Gate II and beat it for the umpteenth time, just to suck out what was left of my favorite RPG. Aside from all the final fantasy games I have, and the old PS2 sitting in my room, I had nothing.

I bought an Xbox 360 two weeks ago when I was shocked to find out Mass Effect was Microsoft console-only (non PC, dammit). It was worth it. That game was so refreshing, and if you ever play it through, it will hit the spot. After that, you'll just be glad you invested into the xbox.

For a great gaming experience, you have to keep up with the times (i.e. upgrade the cpu, buy the new console, and/or get the new games) so good luck with your decision. Hope fun ensues.

roflgoblin on
    "There's no such thing as real life, just AFK."
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Mass Effect is a 360 exclusive right now, just like Bioware's earlier RPGs (KOTOR, Jade Empire) were XBOX exclusive for a while. And then they weren't. So you might want to think about that.

TychoCelchuuu on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Mass Effect is a 360 exclusive right now, just like Bioware's earlier RPGs (KOTOR, Jade Empire) were XBOX exclusive for a while. And then they weren't. So you might want to think about that.

Just so people dont hold out for a PC version I think the situation is different this time.

As in, BioWare knew people would just assume there would be a Pc version years down the line and have ruled that out quite explicitely, in a different manner than they used to when they denies PC ports of KOTOR and Jade Empire.

Doesnt mean there wont be a Pc version, which is extremely likely, but dont set your watch by it.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The_Scarab wrote: »

Just so people dont hold out for a PC version I think the situation is different this time.

As in, BioWare knew people would just assume there would be a Pc version years down the line and have ruled that out quite explicitely, in a different manner than they used to when they denies PC ports of KOTOR and Jade Empire.

Doesnt mean there wont be a Pc version, which is extremely likely, but dont set your watch by it.

While there may be one, they have said several times that seeing a port within five years is extremely unlikely. Five years from now is when they hope to have Mass Effect 3 out at the latest.

So you may get to play it on the PC when everyone else is actually finishing up the series. Maybe. They might still not do a PC port.

And because Microsoft still controls the platform PC games tend to have to be played on, they don't consider moving a game over to the PC as a lack of Xbox 360 exclusivity. But that still doesn't mean they want all their games ported over immediately if at all.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    if youre not dead set on the sci fi aspect i highly recommend giving Ultima V Lazarus a shot. you'll need a copy of Dungeon Siege, but its worth tracking down a cheap old copy. the amount of work and love put into this project is just staggering.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    How are Luminous Arc and Hoshigami Remix: Ruining Blue Earth?

Luminous Arc is absolutely fucking atrocious as an RPG and barely passable as a Tactics game. The story is cliche and obvious, but that would be okay if it were handled with skill and charm. It is not. The characters are one-dimensional anime cliches, the dialogue is unbelievably bad, and overall it makes you want to stick a knife into your head. Combat is okay -- think FFTA, but with no customization (actually, I liked the distinct character-classes) and very low difficulty with three or four absurdly hard fights scattered throughout. Really though, skip this game.

I've heard that Hoshigami is mediocre.

edit: Um, is it safe to assume that this Maple Story DS will not in fact be a portable MMO?

Mahnmut on
    Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    BlackDoveBlackDove Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Fahernheit/Indigo Prophecy for the mother, fucking, win.

BlackDove on