As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Which next-gen console should I buy?

• Options
    HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    JCRooks wrote: »
    On a somewhat related note, I also want to recommend that regardless of whether or not you go Blu-ray or HD-DVD, you may want to hold off on creating a massive library of either. It's still much to early to tell which one is going to be the new "Beta-max". If you do get Blu-ray or HD-DVD, I'd recommend watching most of your movies off rentals or something like Netflix ... unless you like gambling with movie formats!

Personally, I'm betting on neither. Digital distribution is where it's going to go, IMHO. But that's just me and my crazy thinking.

That's another problem I'm worried about. I've got a Netflix subscription so I could get either format, but I really think with all this advertising Sony is doing for Blu-Ray I think it'll start to pull ahead.

I want something now, but I also still want to play the games that (hopefully) will come out later.

And no, I haven't looked into any of the online extra content games. I kinda just think of them as an afterthought and don't think they're influence my decision on which console I'll purchase.

I think it's still far too soon to guess at who's going to win the high-def movie format war. Unfortunately for all of us. Personally, I got an HD-DVD add-on for the 360, but only because there was a special deal one week at Best Buy with 2 extra movies and Heroes season 1 (for a total of 8 free movies + Heroes). But without that deal, I wouldn't have made any investment. The Wal-Mart Black Friday deal for a PS3 with 10 free movies (15 total) was a similarly awesome exception.

In any event, in regards to high-def movies, the PS3 does have the edge since the player is built-in and, essentially, doesn't "cost" anything extra. But the real question isn't what sort of player, it's whether you then want to put big money into a movie library that might eventually be obsolete or very niche. NetFlix for the win in that case, if you ask me.

Edit: One thought that keeps coming into my head about this is that Sony has lost a lot of format wars. Beta, minidisc, memory stick, UMD.... Many of their previous proprietary formats continue to exist only because Sony makes some decent products that use them, not because the formats succeeded on their own in the marketplace.

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Arde, Katamari Damacy is on 360, not wii.

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Arde wrote: »
    Based on the games you like: either get a 360 or upgrade your PC. :P

Unless you really need to play more games like Katamari Damacy, then 360 is your best bet for entertainment.
    But if you're dying to get more stuffs like Katamari Damacy or more unique titles, then Wii is the best choice.

O.o

BK is the only next-gen Katamari, and it is on the 360

Evander on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    My advice, based on your lists, is to go with the 360.

Forget high-def video formats. The Bluray player should NOT be what you base your decision on when buying a system you intend to use for GAMING.

And lack of wireless isn't really that big a deal. Get a really long ethernet cable, or buy a 20 dollar wireless router, and change to a homebrew firmware that turns it into an ethernet bridge.

The games you want to play right now are on the 360, and (I'm risking a flamewar here) the other two exclusives you've been looking at may end up on the 360 too. Regardless, wwith the way Sony is going, another price drop before FFXIII really ISN'T out of the picture.

If you want something that you'll enjoy right now, the 360 is really the way to go.

The Wii is great too, I own one myself, but it doesn't really deliver on deep immersive gameplay. Most Wii fare is light and fun.

Evander on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Okay, so let's ignore the format war, but I personally think throwing in an HD player for $50 more is kind of a bonus. Basically, to those of you with Wiis and 360s, what is it that you think makes it enjoyable?

Well, the Wii has games you don't find anywhere else, and it was cheapest, and I knew goddamn well that it was going to be the front-runner this time around, so I got it like a week after launch. Not a hard decision.

As for the others, well, like nine-tenths of the 360's library is also on the PS3, and vice versa, so between those two it's just which one has more exclusives that you care about, and well, the PS3's list of "exclusives I give a flying fuck about" currently is one item long, and that's a third party game. To be fair, the 360's was similarly short, but it was also a full hundred dollars cheaper (and came with two games) with the deal I got, so there you go.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Also let's not forget that Nippon Ichi is now a 360 developer, but has made no such announcement for the PS3.

Uh, just because they're a licensed 360 developer doesn't mean they'll actually develop games for it. Square Enix, for example, was a licensed developer for the Xbox and yet didn't publish a single game for it. Oh and if they're not a licensed PS3 developer, why are they developing Disgaea 3 for it? :|

Anyway, since you seem to be leaning towards the PS3 I'd say you should just get one. That said, your lineup could do with some better games. Needs more Ratchet and Clank, Warhawk, Uncharted and LittleBigPlanet. ;-)

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Probably the PS4 or 720. I've heard bad things about the Super Wii.

Oh... wait... you meant which console should you buy... not which next gen console.

Seriously people. It's been a year since this generation officially started (according to Sony), can we stop calling it the "next-generation" now?

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    ArdeArde Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    plufim wrote: »

I know - I'm just saying that for quirky games like Katamari Damacy, the Wii will have many more games like that than the 360.
    I still have no idea why they released KD only in 360 since the 360 userbase has proven that it's not receptive to games like KD.

Arde on
    Wii code:3004 5525 7274 3361
    XBL Gametag: mailarde

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • Options
    edited November 2007

I know - I'm just saying that for quirky games like Katamari Damacy, the Wii will have many more games like that than the 360.
    I still have no idea why they released KD only in 360 since the 360 userbase has proven that it's not receptive to games like KD.
    Because they started developing it back when all the analysts were shouting that the Wii would fail worse than the 3DO, and once they realized that the analysts were speaking rectally (the least expensive system with the most mainstream-market-friendly gimmick is going to fail? Really?), they rushed it out the door so as to not waste any more money on it, producing the most underwhelming Katamari game since, well, the previous one.

Face it, without Takahashi, the series is dead.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

Have you seen XBLA?

Evander on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Evander wrote: »

Have you seen XBLA?

To be fair, on XBLA it can be hard to separate the cream from the shit, if you know what I mean.

At least everything has a free trial, though.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    My advice, based on your lists, is to go with the Wii.

Forget high-def video formats. The Bluray player should NOT be what you base your decision on when buying a system you intend to use for GAMING.

And lack of wired connection isn't really that big a deal.

The games you want to play right now are on the Wii, and (I'm risking a flamewar here) all the other exclusives you've been looking at may end up on the Wii too. Regardless, with the way Sony is going, another price drop before FFXIII really ISN'T out of the picture.

If you want something that you'll enjoy right now, the Wii is really the way to go.

The 360 is decent too, I've played one myself, but it doesn't really deliver on deep immersive gameplay. Most 360 fare is violent and repetitive.

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Death of RatsDeath of Rats Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The 360 is decent too, I've played one myself, but it doesn't really deliver on deep immersive gameplay. Most 360 fare is violent and repetitive.

*looks at Mass Effect, Skate, Bioshock, Rock Band, and Assassin's Creed*

:lol:

Oh you.

Death of Rats on
    No I don't.
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Evander wrote: »
    Have you seen XBLA?

Uhh, judging from the OP's wants - I don't think XBLA is a deal breaker for him.
    I think he prefers full games.

Plus, you also open a can of worms since now we have to include PSN or VC - and for some people including me, the VC beats the pants of XBLA and PSN. That said, let's never include downloadable contents in further discussion in this thread.

In any case, based on his gaming wants, the 360 will give him what he wants the most in his list of wanted games.

Arde on

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • Options
    ShoeboxPenguinShoeboxPenguin Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

Oh... wait... you meant which console should you buy... not which next gen console.

Seriously people. It's been a year since this generation officially started (according to Sony), can we stop calling it the "next-generation" now?

Sorry, I call it "next-generation" because it's still all new to me.

The games you want to play right now are on the Wii, and (I'm risking a flamewar here) all the other exclusives you've been looking at may end up on the Wii too. Regardless, with the way Sony is going, another price drop before FFXIII really ISN'T out of the picture.

I would buy a Wii just for SMG(if I could find one), but I'm really looking for a long term console. All the other titles I listed were mostly filler. I want a system with games I can spend 80+ hours on because of their depth/replay value. Super Mario for me has always been about replaying for nostalgia and novelty. I think the only two games I own for GCN are Sunshine and Rogue Squadron. I didn't have a group of friends who would come over and play Melee with me. Also, the Wii is sort of a party oriented game, so with the loss of my girlfriend I have very few people who I can rely on to plan games with me.

The whole point to my of buying a "next-gen" (sorry Rats) was for everything to be upgraded and such. And Wii has the controller, it's had excellent use in all the games I've seen, but it's just not there with graphics. Ideally, I will be able to buy a Wii AND a 360/PS3.

You guys are starting to make the 360 more appealing, could anyone give me a list of games they feel are solid exclusives for the console?

ShoeboxPenguin on
    PSN: FaustEx
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

I would buy a Wii just for SGM (if I could find one), but I'm really looking for a long term console. All the other titles I listed were mostly filler. I want a system with games I can spend 80+ hours on because of their depth/replay value. Super Mario for me has always been about replaying for nostalgia and novelty. I think the only two games I own for GCN are Sunshine and Rogue Squadron. I didn't have a group of friends who would come over and play Melee with me. Also, the Wii is sort of a party oriented game, so with the loss of my girlfriend I have very few people who I can rely on to plan games with me.

The whole point to my of buying a "next-gen" (sorry Rats) was for everything to be upgraded and such. And Wii has the controller, it's had excellent use in all the games I've seen, but it's just not there with graphics. Ideally, I will be able to buy a Wii AND a 360/PS3.

You guys are starting to make the 360 more appealing, could anyone give me a list of games they feel are solid exclusives for the console?
    The only game that you'd get more than a dozen or two hour out of for any console that's currently out is oblivion. And while the Wii is an awesome system, it really doesn't fit your criteria

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Spoit wrote: »

I would buy a Wii just for SGM (if I could find one), but I'm really looking for a long term console. All the other titles I listed were mostly filler. I want a system with games I can spend 80+ hours on because of their depth/replay value. Super Mario for me has always been about replaying for nostalgia and novelty. I think the only two games I own for GCN are Sunshine and Rogue Squadron. I didn't have a group of friends who would come over and play Melee with me. Also, the Wii is sort of a party oriented game, so with the loss of my girlfriend I have very few people who I can rely on to plan games with me.

The only game that you'd get more than a dozen or two hour out of for any console that's currently out is oblivion. And while the Wii is an awesome system, it really doesn't fit your criteria

Really? The only game that you can get more than a dozen or two hours out of is Oblivion? Mass Effect disagrees with you. I'm certain there are at least a few others, I just can't think of 'em off the top of my head.

If you're such a Mario nut, it is worth mentioning that you can play every non-handheld Mario game on one system thanks to the VC (and GameCube BC for Sunshine). Certainly something to salivate over.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    The best combo for any core gamer right now is the Wii60.
    In 360 you get the traditional epic big action/adventure games, sports, racing, and western RPG games.
    With Wii you get Nintendo titles, lightgun games, point n click games, quirky games, and if you're like me - the best FPS control for consoles :).

Since the Wii is so hard to find right now, 360 seems to be the easiest suggestion.

Arde on

Screen Digest LOL3RZZ
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    DeathPrawn wrote: »

Really? The only game that you can get more than a dozen or two hours out of is Oblivion? Mass Effect disagrees with you. I'm certain there are at least a few others, I just can't think of 'em off the top of my head.

So does FFXIII, not to mention the online play in COD4, Orange Box, MGS4, Halo 3 and GTA4.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited November 2007
    Personally I think having both a 360 and a Wii will cover you forever.

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Dareth Ram wrote: »

especially if you also buy a ps3.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

So does FFXIII, not to mention the online play in COD4, Orange Box, MGS4, Halo 3 and GTA4.

From what I've heard, Mass effect has a bit more than a dozen hours of playtime, maybe 20 if you stretch it with all the side quests. That is, unless you're trying to count the whole trilogy as a single entity. Also, MGS and GTA have multiplayer? Also, the longest I spent on a FF game was like 35 hours, and a lot of that was the stupid grinding for the ultima weapons.

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AhhseeAhhsee Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I've debated this same thing myself, and although I'm not buying anything until the games I want come out, I've had to convince myself many times that the 360 is even worth a mention, simply because it just doesn't have the games I want to play when I sit down at a console.

Skate looks good and Mass Effect looks nice, but the list pretty much ends there. Halo 1 was good, since then the games have been subpar (I've played both of the newer ones to death at a friend's). The other exclusives are pretty much rehashes of ps2 games with prettier graphics, like ac6 and beautiful katamari.

Ps3 has a VERY good lineup of future games, but some of those are potentially more than a year away. MGS4 will come out eventually, and ff13 is WAY down the line, but they will come out, and they will probably be very good. Been a while since those companies haven't delivered a good game (decades?). The games I see coming down the pipe for 360 is a very very short list, of which some could potentially be not worth my time, or the price.

Wii just doesn't have the list of games to make it a buy for a person playing alone at home after work. Sure, if I was in some dorms with a bunch of friends that love to hang out, it'd be very cool. I wanna sit down and play my games, not jump around in my bedroom alone. Cost is nice, it just doesn't deliver now, and I don't see it delivering in good content for myself in the future.

Also, if you're spending $400 on a system, something like a HD Movie player is a VERY important factor. Believe me, finding a way to have 2 uses for a hunk of machinery is a very good investment, and a good way to spend/save money.

From what you've said, you sound like you want a PS3, but can't justify buying it right now, simply because the games you want to play, won't be out until next year.

I say wait til next year. It'll drop in price by then. Sure, you won't get to splurge your money since you're hella free of a significant other, but I suggest saving it up unless you absolutely must play one of the current games tomorrow. Believe me, if you get a 360 a year from now, you'll be able to find Mass Effect. It's not published by Atlus, so you'll be able to find it.

Ahhsee on
    newsigji1.jpg
    Click image for my huge backlog :\\\
  • Options
    Dareth RamDareth Ram regular
    edited November 2007
    Variable wrote: »
    Dareth Ram wrote: »

especially if you also buy a ps3.
    there was a time i scoffed at owning all three consoles. It's too much money, I said! People who do this must make themselves poor, I said!

Obviously, all that meant was I wasn't making enough at the time. PS3 needs some exclusive sellers for me to bite on, and I'll jump on that too.

Dareth Ram on
  • Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Let's just cut to the chase, shall we?

Every system is worth owning to somebody. They all have pros and cons, and in the end it's what you like. What you're going to get here is generally biased opinions (I'd certainly pitch a 360 to you like I get a commission for it). Do some research online, look at the library and the upcoming releases, and make your own decision. Coming here is just bound to make it more confusing.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    edited November 2007

From what I've heard, Mass effect has a bit more than a dozen hours of playtime, maybe 20 if you stretch it with all the side quests. That is, unless you're trying to count the whole trilogy as a single entity. Also, MGS and GTA have multiplayer? Also, the longest I spent on a FF game was like 35 hours, and a lot of that was the stupid grinding for the ultima weapons.

I spent 100 hours on FFXII and didn't even complete all the sidequests, but even 35 hours is pretty god-damn long.

And yes, MGS4 has Metal Gear Online packed in (though they're going to release a more indepth Metal Gear Online seperately later on) and GTA4 has 16-player online multi.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    My Wii is my party machine. People over? Pop in a Wii game and let's all have a blast.

My 360 is for gaming by myself or playing with folks online.

Of course, Rock Band might change this...

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    The Wii will, in a couple of years, probably wind up as this generation's PS2.
    This will mean a hell of a lot more games.
    Bear this in mind.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    To be honest, I think this generation is going to end up with the 360 and Wii being more or less equal in terms of how successful they are.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    XagarathXagarath Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    To be honest, I think this generation is going to end up with the 360 and Wii being more or less equal in terms of how successful they are.

Depends whether we're talking about software sales or install base.
    Becuse the former is the only one where your argumenet even might be possibly right.

Xagarath on
  • Options
    HarshLanguageHarshLanguage Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

I think the Wii is going to be the more significant console, but not necessarily successful in the same terms as the 360. This generation marks a real split between MS/Sony and Nintendo, which is exactly what Nintendo has been trying to do for the last couple generations in various ways. The Wii is different, and the audience will be different, and the games library will be different. Like others have said, it's a great second console if you're a "hardcore" gamer, but much more importantly it's a fun party/social centerpiece. Which the 360 and PS3 are not. (GH3/Rock Band notwithstanding.)

So while the 360 and PS3 battle over exclusives, graphics, speeds and feeds, movie formats, and whathaveyou, grandparents will be playing Wii games with their grandkids. And that's the real Next Generation of gaming: widespread social acceptance and integration.

HarshLanguage on
    QSwearing_trans_smooth_small.gif
    > turn on light

Good start to the day. Pity it's going to be the worst one of your life. The light is now on.
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Let's just cut to the chase, shall we?

Every system is worth owning to somebody. They all have pros and cons, and in the end it's what you like. What you're going to get here is generally biased opinions (I'd certainly pitch a 360 to you like I get a commission for it). Do some research online, look at the library and the upcoming releases, and make your own decision. Coming here is just bound to make it more confusing.

Get your logic out of here! There's no way they can make a choice based on which system has the games they like. Don't you realize people can't make decisions for themselves?

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

I can't recall what game IGN was talking about, but I distinctly remember reading a preview for a game that was coming to "all next-gen consoles," meaning PS2/GCN/XB. The article was posted over a year after the Gamecube and XBox came out, and over 2 years after the PS2 launch.

Dirty on
  • Options
    KarrmerKarrmer Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    1. Blu-ray movies are fucking gorgeous. Holy crap. On another note, I can't confirm this, this is just what I have heard on some other boards and such, but I have heard that PS3 rates fairly high as a Blu-ray player, while the X360 HD-DVD addon is inferior to most/all HD-DVD standalones.

Just figured I'd note that this is quite false. The PS3 is a good Blu Ray player, and the 360 HD addon is actually one of the best HD DVD players.

However, IMO it makes more sense to just grab a Toshiba HDA3 for 200 dollars and get 10 free HD DVD movies.

Karrmer on
  • Options
    GUTSGUTS Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    If its Next Gen you are looking for, then its got to be either the 360 or the PS3. Based on the better game library at the moment, i would suggest the 360. If you are a casual gamer, who just spends a few hours a week gaming then perhaps the Wii, though i wouldnt recommend it.

GUTS on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    fightinfilipinofightinfilipino Angry as Hell #BLMRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    GUTS, noooooooo, what are you dooooooooiinnnng???

fightinfilipino on
    ffNewSig.png
    steam | Dokkan: 868846562
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    I have a lot of fun with my PS3. Considering its free, Ive never had trouble with the PSN, it works flawlessly and any time it doesn't its my fault for not turning downloads off on my PC. Though I don't like that if there is an update available, you're forced to update before signing in and therefore using the PSN. Especially as this process can take from 15-30 minutes when I just wanted to sit down and play a game or download a demo.

Games are great and there is already a nice selection developing there and a lot of really stand out hits like Resistance, Ratchet and Clank and Uncharted. Heavenly Sword is good but I would rent not buy if only because it doesn't have much reason to come back to it once its completed unless you really just love challenge.

Youre also getting a full system straight off with your purchase. Out of the box youre able to charge your controllers, connect wirelessly to multiple types of devices and play Blu-Ray movies, which if you have a HDTV is a pretty nice upgrade.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Karrmer wrote: »
    1. Blu-ray movies are fucking gorgeous. Holy crap. On another note, I can't confirm this, this is just what I have heard on some other boards and such, but I have heard that PS3 rates fairly high as a Blu-ray player, while the X360 HD-DVD addon is inferior to most/all HD-DVD standalones.

Just figured I'd note that this is quite false. The PS3 is a good Blu Ray player, and the 360 HD addon is actually one of the best HD DVD players.

However, IMO it makes more sense to just grab a Toshiba HDA3 for 200 dollars and get 10 free HD DVD movies.

Good? At launch it was rated by a lot of tech sites as the best Blu-Ray player on the market, not sure how it compares now but I'd still say it's up there.

DarkPrimus: Microsoft is not going to be anywhere near as successful as Sony or Nintendo when they can't sell well outside of the US. Sorry but the 360 is dead in Japan and in Europe, only really sells well in the UK.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Currently I only own a Wii of the current gen consoles, and I really really want a 360. I freaking love my Wii though, no other console can offer me Zelda/Mario/Metroid and make my parents and friends all interested in gaming. I don't see how buying either a 360 or a Wii would be a bad decision for anyone, and I would pick which one of the two to get first on economic reasons - The Wii is not going to get a price drop in a long time, maybe an extra pack in game in 12 months, but it will be RRP £180/$250 for the foreseeable future. Xbox 360 is likely to get a price drop in the next 6-12 months, especially if the PS3 price drops first, and it has further to drop. It makes sense (to me at least) to get a Wii now, and a 360 after next price drop, with a bucketload of cheap software.

LewieP on
  • Options
    GUTSGUTS Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    GUTS, noooooooo, what are you dooooooooiinnnng???

What?! What did i say!!!

GUTS on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]