As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Gerstmann fired from Gamespot, internet asplode, fallout continues.

• Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Right. It's worth noting that at the time the mods weren't even entirely sure that Frankie was legit. There was really zero warning, not even a PM asking permission.

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    It's N'gai Croal! Are there really this few people who know who N'gai Croal is? He's linked to very regularly from gaming blogs.
    I'd heard of Level Up before, and I think he was even a guest on 1UP Yours, recently. I just didn't realize his column was made of awesome.

gilrain on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Wienke wrote: »

Gabe also made a post stating that he wasn't aware Bungie was going to do that and then somewhat jokingly disowns the forums as future serial murderers and the forums as a large record of evidence to be turned over to the FBI.

Well, that's pretty fucking shitty.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Gabe also made a post stating that he wasn't aware Bungie was going to do that and then somewhat jokingly disowns the forums as future serial murderers and the forums as a large record of evidence to be turned over to the FBI.

He also turned up in the thread (Gabe did) and yelled at us for flaming Frankie. I know because I participated in the thread.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    WienkeWienke Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

Specifically he said...
    Gabe wrote:
    "Bungie decided to make their most recent Halo 2 update in our forum. They are all really nice guys and had they told me of their intentions I would have begged them to reconsider. They post these updates in forums all the time but I don’t think they really understood just how bad ours is. The only reason it still exists is because at some point someone in there will blow up a nursing home full of senior citizens and the FBI will want a history of their online activities. It’s really just a big pile of evidence that we’ll hand over to the authorities the second they stop posting pictures of their asses and start killing people.

-Gabe out"

From what I understand, Gabe used to post on the forums occassionally but everyone was being a dick to him and his wife so I'm pretty sure he doesn't have a WHOLE lot of love for us as it is. Obviously he doesn't outright hate us or we wouldn't exist...

Wienke on
    PSN: TheWienke
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Daddy hates us. :cry:

gilrain on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Gabe wrote:
    "Bungie decided to make their most recent Halo 2 update in our forum. They are all really nice guys and had they told me of their intentions I would have begged them to reconsider. They post these updates in forums all the time but I don’t think they really understood just how bad ours is. The only reason it still exists is because at some point someone in there will blow up a nursing home full of senior citizens and the FBI will want a history of their online activities. It’s really just a big pile of evidence that we’ll hand over to the authorities the second they stop posting pictures of their asses and start killing people.

-Gabe out"

Gabe has never been to any other forum on the internets, I think.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Drez wrote: »

He also turned up in the thread (Gabe did) and yelled at us for flaming Frankie. I know because I participated in the thread.

It's really sad when we pride ourselves as being a forum beacon of intelligent and civilized discussions, all while Gabe thinks we're worse than Gamefaqs/System Wars.

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    victor_c26 wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »

It's really sad when we pride ourselves as being a forum beacon of intelligent and civilized discussions, all while Gabe thinks we're worse than Gamefaqs/System Wars.

Well, I suppose ALL forums are "bad" really. There will be a ridiculous amount of assholes on all of them.

At least our assholes know proper grammar..

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Gabe wrote:

-Gabe out"

I think by referring to the PA forums as bad, Gabe meant pretentious. Let's face it; a lot of us are pretentious douchebags.

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    It's N'gai Croal! Are there really this few people who know who N'gai Croal is? He's linked to very regularly from gaming blogs.

I've seen him a few times on TechTV (G4).

Bamelin on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Gabe wrote:

-Gabe out"

I think by referring to the PA forums as bad, Gabe meant pretentious. Let's face it; a lot of us are pretentious douchebags.

BUT! We can spell pretentious douchebags. Thus, point for us.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    JCRooksJCRooks Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Gabe wrote:

-Gabe out"

Yeah, the PA forums are much more civilized than most other sites: 1UP, GameFAQs, NeoGAF, etc. That said, it can still get pretty brutal here. You have to have some pretty thick skin, especially if you want to dish out potentially controversial opinions.

JCRooks on
    Xbox LIVE, Steam, Twitter, etc. ...
    Gamertag: Rooks
    - Don't add me, I'm at/near the friend limit :)

Steam: JC_Rooks

Twitter: http://twitter.com/JiunweiC

I work on this: http://www.xbox.com
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    JCRooks wrote: »
    Gabe wrote:

-Gabe out"

Yeah, the PA forums are much more civilized than most other sites: 1UP, GameFAQs, NeoGAF, etc. That said, it can still get pretty brutal here. You have to have some pretty thick skin, especially if you want to dish out potentially controversial opinions.

It still kind of stuns me that there could be potentially controversial opinions... on a freaking video game forum.

Gonad A: I stomp on Goombas's heads!

Testicle B: I spin into them! It's insanely superior!

Gonad A: You = nazi assreamer omg!

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    KrunkMcGrunkKrunkMcGrunk Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Gabe wrote:

-Gabe out"

It still kind of stuns me that there could be potentially controversial opinions... on a freaking video game forum.

Well it's more like "this game really blows" or "I think Gertsmann high-fived management on his way out the door."

KrunkMcGrunk on
    mrsatansig.png
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Gabe wrote:

-Gabe out"

PI IS EXACTLY 3!

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Gabe wrote:

-Gabe out"

Oh man, I wish that's what video game forum arguments were about. Instead, we get the same old, tired, lame, console war fanboy-ism again and again and again and again ...

JCRooks on

• Options
    Zetetic ElenchZetetic Elench Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    PI IS EXACTLY 3!

*stunned gasp*

Zetetic Elench on
    nemosig.png
  • Options
    NorayNoray Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Gabe wrote:

-Gabe out"

I think he just went to SE++

Noray on
  • Options
    LightRiderLightRider __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    PI IS EXACTLY 3!

*stunned gasp*

I wasn't going to take out a whole nursing home before that post...

LightRider on
  • Options
    GrimReaperGrimReaper Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    PI IS EXACTLY 3!

*stunned gasp*

My brain hurts.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
    I've got a spare copy of Portal, if anyone wants it message me.
  • Options
    ruforufo Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Gabe wrote:

-Gabe out"

NeoGAF has some pretty insightful people on there (lot of industry guys too, which is nice), but it's so big you get an metric buttload of dumbasses posting too, and the sheer posting volume is often too much to handle.

And don't even get me started on the 1UP boards... Garnett's always complaining on the podcast that none of the 1UP staffers do much posting there, but jeezus, if they had the hive of scum, villany and 12-year-olds that that... that pit has, I'd cower in a corner myself. (I sometimes dip my toe in to see what the hold-up is on The Brodeo, and usually regret it for the rest of the day.)

GameFAQs is... I don't know, the equivalent of the bug planet in Starship Troopers (the movie, not the book)?

Anyway, now that we're all done with the back-patting of ourselves for picking such a tranquil and erudite forum... to get back on topic: how about that Gerstmann guy, eh?

rufo on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Hmm, accidental post. Edited.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    GrimReaper wrote: »

Argh! My brain! It hurts!

Also, use

Yes, let's all of us agree to utilize "use".

ho ho ho

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    ruforufo Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    In on-topic news, GameSpot has posted an FAQ about the firing, written from the editors' perspective:

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6183666.html?om_act=convert&om_clk=multimodule&tag=multimodule;picks;title;2

The article, while the attribution has recently changed to Staff, was originally posted by Tor Thorsen, who writes about its writing here:

http://www.gamespot.com/pages/profile/index.php?user=thorsen-ink

Discuss.

rufo on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Herby wrote: »
    I again believe that the firing wasn't strictly based on K&L but instead that it was the straw that broke the camel's back. They likely have had complaints from other publishers (even those who aren't paying a ton in advertising) that his reviews may have been too negative and too harsh - and from some that I've been reading they may have been justified in that.

It's fun to skewer games, I'll admit, but when you are the head writer on such a large site, perhaps you do need to have more tact then a small website. His reviews reek of a jaded reviewer who is far too hard to please and can't enjoy games like an average gamer can and his review scores lacked any consistency.

I'll add this with the disclaimer that if they do find some smoking gun memo of "Fire him or Eidos pulls the money" than I take back what I've said. Otherwise, I think the K&L thing just was the final nail in a coffin.

I pretty much agree with all of this. I think the management just had a problem with Jeff's attitude and maybe the fact that he was head of the review department scared them. K&L was, like you said, the straw that broke the camels back. And as much as I think Jeff is a pretty cool guy, I've thought he was jaded about many games for a long, long time, and consistency is indeed nowhere to be found. Freedom Fighters - 9.3? Really, Jeff?

I'm guessing the upper management just wanted someone more predictable and less controversial, I guess.

Noray on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Noray wrote: »
    Gabe wrote:

-Gabe out"

I think he just went to SE++

SE++ is quite a bit superior to the vast majority of forums out there.

With SE++ you at least know they're only joking.

MKR on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    rufo wrote: »
    Gabe wrote:

-Gabe out"

NeoGAF has some pretty insightful people on there (lot of industry guys too, which is nice), but it's so big you get an metric buttload of dumbasses posting too, and the sheer posting volume is often too much to handle.

And don't even get me started on the 1UP boards... Garnett's always complaining on the podcast that none of the 1UP staffers do much posting there, but jeezus, if they had the hive of scum, villany and 12-year-olds that that... that pit has, I'd cower in a corner myself. (I sometimes dip my toe in to see what the hold-up is on The Brodeo, and usually regret it for the rest of the day.)

GameFAQs is... I don't know, the equivalent of the bug planet in Starship Troopers (the movie, not the book)?

Anyway, now that we're all done with the back-patting of ourselves for picking such a tranquil and erudite forum... to get back on topic: how about that Gerstmann guy, eh?

I'll admit, when I first began posting on video game forums, I started at 1UP. Holy hell, those forums are pretty much worthless. Yeah, there are some insightful folks there (and there usually are some in every community), but the signal-to-noise ratio is like NeoGAF, which is to say abysmally low. Part of the problem is that everyone wants to get mentioned on the various podcasts, so you've got a ton of people constantly clamoring for attention.

Back to Gerstmann, the first podcast that can get him on as a guest, will be immensely popular (even though he probably won't be able to say very much about his situation). I'm hoping that he'll be able to show up eventually on 1UP Yours or even better, GFW one (the Brodeo!).

JCRooks on

• Options
    edited December 2007

Also, use

ho ho ho

Was an incomplete post that I meant to delete. Hence the uncompleted sentence, posted accidently.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Also, use

ho ho ho

Was an incomplete post that I meant to delete. Hence the uncompleted sentence, posted accidently.

Yet, I still managed to rescue some funny from it.

No, no, citizen, no need for thanks. Just another job for...

Random Internet Poster!!!!

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Also, use

ho ho ho

Yet, I still managed to rescue some funny from it.

No, no, citizen, no need for thanks. Just another job for...

Random Internet Poster!!!!

Thanks random internet poster!

Here's some: pismallgr6.png

Just for you.

What a guy.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • Options
    LightRiderLightRider __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    That pi is a lie.

LightRider on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    This page is why Gabe and Tycho don't use the forums

Noray on
  • Options
    RPGeekRPGeek Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Noray wrote: »
    Herby wrote: »
    I again believe that the firing wasn't strictly based on K&L but instead that it was the straw that broke the camel's back. They likely have had complaints from other publishers (even those who aren't paying a ton in advertising) that his reviews may have been too negative and too harsh - and from some that I've been reading they may have been justified in that.

It's fun to skewer games, I'll admit, but when you are the head writer on such a large site, perhaps you do need to have more tact then a small website. His reviews reek of a jaded reviewer who is far too hard to please and can't enjoy games like an average gamer can and his review scores lacked any consistency.

I'll add this with the disclaimer that if they do find some smoking gun memo of "Fire him or Eidos pulls the money" than I take back what I've said. Otherwise, I think the K&L thing just was the final nail in a coffin.

I pretty much agree with all of this. I think the management just had a problem with Jeff's attitude and maybe the fact that he was head of the review department scared them. K&L was, like you said, the straw that broke the camels back. And as much as I think Jeff is a pretty cool guy, I've thought he was jaded about many games for a long, long time, and consistency is indeed nowhere to be found. Freedom Fighters - 9.3? Really, Jeff?

I'm guessing the upper management just wanted someone more predictable and less controversial, I guess.
    Nah, that wouldn't explain the on-the-spot disappearance act they pulled on him.

Anyway, I'd the controversy seems to have disippated...which means if we want to talk about corruption it's back to Marc Ecko's Getting Up: Contents under Pressure again.

RPGeek on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    thorsen wrote:
    So why was Jeff fired when he was fired? Honestly, the editorial rank and file don't know the official reason. (Though we do know it couldn't have been more badly timed.)
    Then why the hell did he say it was not about the review?

Edit:
    A: Legally, the exact reasons behind his dismissal cannot be revealed. However, they stemmed from issues unrelated to any publisher or advertiser; his departure was due purely for internal reasons.
    MacDonald also addressed one of the key factors of the rumors: the temporary removal of Gerstmann's Kane & Lynch video review. According to MacDonald, he took the video review down himself, not because he was forced to, but because "the quality was not what we do."
    There was one video review consisting of him making a haiku about how much a DBZ sucked. This also doesn't explain why the video guy left.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Shoegaze99Shoegaze99 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    You know, quite a few years back this forum was pretty bad. I mean, just nasty as all hell. I read it from time to time but had zero inclination to sign up. (I finally did a few years back, but that took a while.) The place drove newbies away like buffalo off the cliff. It was ugly.

The forum you see today bears little resemblance to what the forum used to be, in my opinion. Far different place now; great discussion, a better overall tone, strong community. Excellent forum. I can only assume Gabe was turned off early on and never returned.

Shoegaze99 on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Shoegaze99 wrote: »
    You know, quite a few years back this forum was pretty bad. I mean, just nasty as all hell. I read it from time to time but had zero inclination to sign up. (I finally did a few years back, but that took a while.) The place drove newbies away like buffalo off the cliff. It was ugly.

The forum you see today bears little resemblance to what the forum used to be, in my opinion. Far different place now; great discussion, a better overall tone, strong community. Excellent forum. I can only assume Gabe was turned off early on and never returned.

Yeah, it was very unforgiving. Still like that a lot, i've made my fair share of stupid posts. (see above) I just think in terms of stupidity the PA forums are less forgiving than others.

Back onto topic, since he confirmed he was "terminated" shouldn't the topic title be updated to include that information rather than "leaves (or fired from)"?

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Why did they change the article from saying it was written by Tor to saying was written by the staff? Isn't that just going to cause more suspicion?

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    That was done probably to avoid whoever wrote it from being overwhelmed by the wrath of the internets.

GrimReaper on
    PSN | Steam
    ---
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    That was done probably to avoid whoever wrote it from being overwhelmed by the wrath of the internets.

But this is the internets, changing something will be noticed and cause more wrath. People know who originally wrote it.

Edit: Come to think of it, what the heck has Tor Thorsen done on the site anyway?

Couscous on
This discussion has been closed.