As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dance music

The Nameless OneThe Nameless One Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Debate and/or Discourse
I did a search for my old thread from aeons ago but couldn't find it. I thought it'd be cool to start some banter about electronically produced choons that get your booty movin' 8-)

I'm massively into drum and bass and took the plunge and bought myself some decks last Jan (2006) for my 30th b'day. Best purchase evar! The creative outlet is something that's enriched my life considerably :^: I have no real "superstar DJ" aspirations but I've played at a couple of nights here in Sydney and it's a lot of fun so I'm hoping to get some chances to do so again in the future.

Anyone else here into dnb? Other stuff? What are the scenes for the respective genres like in your necks of the woods? Sydney is pretty much all about lowest common denominator house and electro and it's fucking disgusting. The dnb scene is loyal but still fairly small; a big part the problem lies in the close-minded mentality of some of the DJs and a lot of the fans. They love the underground nature of it but stupidly don't realise that it needs new blood or else it'll die in the arse...bah!

Anyhoo, I also thought that this would be a good place for me to (shamelessly) pimp my mix efforts. I've been pretty prolific lately and I actually recorded a nice dark and dirty one the other night. Here ya go :D

http://www.sendspace.com/file/4wo3rf

i-dub ~ Alien Latency ~ Nov 07
Tracklist wrote:
0:00:00 Ed Rush, Optical & Fierce - Alien Girl [Prototype]
0:04:25 Silent Witness & Ercola - Pick Up [DNAudio]
0:08:06 Tactile - Can't Stop [Dispatch]
0:11:06 Break - No Company [Shadow Law]
0:14:27 Fierce & Break - Hold It Now [Quarantine]
0:17:45 Spinor - Absolom [Citrus]
0:19:58 Break - Submerged (Calyx & Teebee remix) [Subtitles]
0:22:10 Break - The Drone [Symmetry]
0:26:35 Lynx - Inhale Exhale [31 Records]
0:30:16 Verse & SP:MC - Surrender [Crunch]
0:32:30 Noisia & Phace - Homeworld [Citrus]
0:37:17 Calyx & Teebee - The Quest (Break remix) [Subtitles]
0:40:35 Noisia & Phace - Outsource [Citrus]
0:44:38 Break - Day One [Quarantine]
0:47:11 Kryptic Minds & Leon Switch - Dark Flower Remedy [Defcom]
0:51:36 Survival - Gravity Bourne [Play:Musik]
0:54:54 Survival - Exile [Dispatch]
>>>>> Mist:ical ft DRS - The Eleventh Hour [Soul:R]
0:59:18 Survival - U457 (Born Adrift) [Exit]
1:02:46 Saburuko - Latency [Horizons]

Enjoy!

(and let's get chatting)

The Nameless One on

• Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    DNB is Drum and Bass, isn't it?

What does that mean exactly?

I've been listening to some Pendulum and some of their lyrics reference drum and bass.

Medopine on
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I really got into Solvent a while ago -- does that earn any brownie points from you? And have you heard Copy? I imagine you'd like him.

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I love weird ass electronica like Infected Mushroom and Squarepusher

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Medopine wrote: »
    DNB is Drum and Bass, isn't it?

What does that mean exactly?

I've been listening to some Pendulum and some of their lyrics reference drum and bass.

It's techno at a high BPM that is heavy on the drum break beats and bass lines.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    This is the type of "dance music" I like. I was pretty excited when I saw the thread, but I'm guessing that it's not for me.

MrMister on
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    MrMister wrote: »
    This is the type of "dance music" I like. I was pretty excited when I saw the thread, but I'm guessing that it's not for me.

Hi5

I love the more melodic dance/techno/electronica/whatever stuff - I don't know the lingo, but stuff like Frou Frou, Telepopmusik, Freezepop... Ian Van Dahl is pretty crappy but it's tolerable, pre-Vegas Crystal Method, that sort of stuff. I really can't get into the pure back-beat stuff; there's just not enough substance for me to sink my teeth into.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    flamebroiledchickenflamebroiledchicken Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
  • Options
    MrMisterMrMister Jesus dying on the cross in pain? Morally better than us. One has to go "all in".Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    So many fond memories. First CD I ever bought.

MrMister on
  • Options
    krapst78krapst78 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Not sure why the OP is dissing on the House and Electro crowd as that is how a lot of people originally get into the electronic dance music scene. It's exactly that type of sentiment and elitism from the DnB crowd that turns off a lot of casual fans from the Jungle scene. Some genres of EDM are just easier to follow and adapt better to masses, but that's no reason to slight it. I think it's great that electronic music is becoming more mainstream these days because it means I get greater exposure to music I love. I mean why wouldn't you want to share the stuff that gives you enjoyment with other people?

Other than that rant, I'm glad we have a Dance music thread again. My favorite genre of dance music is Happy Hardcore because I relish the cheesy lyrics and insanely fast beats. I haven't really been into DnB for a while, however I listen to Grime very occassionaly. The last good DnB preformances I saw were Dieselboy, Aphrodite, LTJ Bukem and DJ Hype around 4-5 years ago. I still love good old House music when I want to get my groove on as it's generally the easiest music to dance to. I also love the influx of dance influenced rock band like The Go! Team, The Sounds, and MGMT.

Oh yeah, and I finally get to see my favorite electronic band of all time on Dec 15. Basement Jaxx!!!

krapst78 on
    Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father prepare to die!
    Looking for a Hardcore Fantasy Extraction Shooter? - Dark and Darker
  • Options
    MedopineMedopine __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    Ok. So can someone do a run down of these different electronic/dance music genres and types?

Preferably with examples to listen to. :)

Medopine on
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    This is a good site to get your bearings on the various genres of Electronic/Dance music (has several examples for each genre)

http://techno.org/electronic-music-guide/

and of course the best place to go for electronic streaming internet radio is Digitally Imported at www.di.fm

krapst78 on
  • Options
    FarFar Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

This is the correct suggestion. Daft Punk's Alive 2007 is coming out on December 4th in North America. Purchase it.

Far on
  • Options
    OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2007
    DnB is the most tiring thing to dance to in the universe and although it's very rewarding Jesus Christ does it leave you sore. Still, it is always amazingly cool when you are at an event playing mostly low-tempo hip-hop and pop techno remixes and then some heavy DnB/tribal comes on and it is just like okay

let me show you how my body was not meant to move

I've never gotten into this from the actual music perspective though.

Oboro on
    words
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I just listened to Roni Size & Reprazent's In The M0de again, and it's still awesome, so I highly recommend their stuff, as DnB goes.

While we're on the subject, break beats. Who's good in the genre? It's my favorite part of any mix session, but I don't have any to actually listen to.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    krapst78 wrote: »
    This is a good site to get your bearings on the various genres of Electronic/Dance music (has several examples for each genre)

The listing of various genres looks good, but his description of Gothic Rock smacks of incredible ignorance and bias I had to laugh.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I'm going to clubs like, once or twice a week right now. The only "dance" music I have been familiar with prior to coming to China are Daft Punk, the occasional pop stuff, like Madonna, Massive Attack (is that "dance"? Motion Creeps seems dance-ish to me) and the random shit that I occasionally incidentally heard on top 40 stations, like Fatboy Slim.

Who are popular and defining artists that I should look into?

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    BT. Mostly trance, but he's done a little of everything(and he's worked with a lot of people, ranging from N Sync* to Sarah McLachlan).
    *he was responsible for their only good song, Pop.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited November 2007

and of course the best place to go for electronic streaming internet radio is Digitally Imported at www.di.fm

Man I've been through that whole site and I still can't figure out where Telepopmusik fits except that it's probably some derivation of House, except not at 200BPM.

Salvation122 on
  • Options
    edited November 2007

Man I've been through that whole site and I still can't figure out where Telepopmusik fits except that it's probably some derivation of House, except not at 200BPM.

Ishkur's Guide is pretty dated at this point, it's missing a bunch of stuff like indie-tronic (or whatever you want to call The Postal Service, Hot Chip, Junior Boys, etc.) and mash-ups (Girl Talk, DJ Shadow, The Avalanches, etc.) for starters.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    I just wanted to say that I love you, Nameless, for starting an electronica thread and I love all of you who are posting in it. Don't let this die!
    Medopine wrote:
    So can someone do a run down of these different electronic/dance music genres and types?

krapst78's link is good, but remember that they're more styles than subgenres and many of the best artists don't really fall into any particular subgenre. I'll use BT as an example because he's one of my and cj iwakura's favorite artists - he's usually labeled "progressive house" (which is a more melodic form of house music) even though he only had one album that was 100% progressive house (IMA) and his earlier and later albums are not as easily categorizable (though most of his albums have a number of tracks that tread squarely along the progressive house trail) even though they all have a very noticeable style that you listen to it once and you think "wow, that's BT" (especially when he uses his trademark stuttering vocoder effect that other producers have started copying).
    cj iwakura wrote:
    I just listened to Roni Size & Reprazent's In The M0de again, and it's still awesome, so I highly recommend their stuff, as DnB goes.

In Tha M0de is a fabulous album, but it's definitely meant to be a follow-up to New Forms, as a couple of the songs on In Tha M0de (notably Railing Pt 2) are obviously meant to reference songs from New Forms.

And we can't talk about drum and bass without mentioning Black Sun Empire. Seriously, find them on MySpace or Beatport.com. Their 2005 album Cruel & Unusual was amazing.

And speaking of Beatport, if you don't have an account with them, sign up. Seriously. Legal 320kbps DRM-free MP3s on independent electronica acts, and a supposedly-monthly-but-updated-whenever-the-fuck-they-feel-like it podcast that's pretty good.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Daft Punk
    DFA1979 remix album
    LCD Soundsystem
    MSTRKRFT
    The Chemical Bros
    The Rapture

Warp records (!!!, Aphex, others)
    Ed Banger record label (Justice, SebastiAn, etc)
    Kitsune record label (Digitalism, Simian Mobile Disco, etc)

these are just the more obvious things to dance to

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Thanks to a terrible mistake I can't enjoy Daft Punk anymore. One time I watched their entire album in video clips till like 2 in the morning, regretted it, and now I just remember the angry at myself.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Far wrote: »

This is the correct suggestion. Daft Punk's Alive 2007 is coming out on December 4th in North America. Purchase it.

I saw Daft Punk live for one of the stops for their alive concert. So let me assure you, it kicks fucking ass.

Inquisitor on
  • Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Inter5tella 5555 is quite an enjoyable movie, I must say.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    VeegeezeeVeegeezee Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    It makes me happy that I'm not alone in the world... nobody in real life seems to tolerate it when I pop in stuff like Amon Tobin or Squarepusher.

Mmm, the hectic drums...

Veegeezee on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Veegeezee wrote: »
    It makes me happy that I'm not alone in the world... nobody in real life seems to tolerate it when I pop in stuff like Amon Tobin or Squarepusher.

Mmm, the hectic drums...

I popped in Mirabillis after I bought their CD and my sister down the hall thought I converted to some weird ass religion with all the chanting going on.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    edited November 2007

Ishkur's Guide is pretty dated at this point, it's missing a bunch of stuff like indie-tronic (or whatever you want to call The Postal Service, Hot Chip, Junior Boys, etc.) and mash-ups (Girl Talk, DJ Shadow, The Avalanches, etc.) for starters.

Yeah I agree, it was more of a guideline to show the connections between different types of EDM genres during the early 2000s. A lot of the music nowadays has evolved and become so specialized that they no longer neatly fall into any of those old categories (except for the big ones like Trance, House, Techno, and DnB). You also have a lot of artists experimenting across different genres so again the labels no longer apply. Feral brought up an excellent example with BT who I originally thought of as a Trance producer because I first became familiar with him in 1999-2000 (Dreaming, Flaming June, and Godspeed). However, BT's range of music is MUCH more expansive than just Trance and to pigeonhole him as a trance producer would be equivalent to calling Ronaldinho a guy that can kick a ball. However, some artist basically define their genre like Fatboy Slim (big beat) and Daft Punk (French Disco House) and if another artists sounds similar to them, will probably fall under that genre.

krapst78 on
  • Options
    NexusSixNexusSix Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    A lot of the music nowadays has evolved and become so specialized that they no longer neatly fall into any of those old categories

Outside of the bigger categories (trance, DnB), I really have no idea how the EDM scene(s) break down these days--too much music and not enough time to keep track of all of it. All I know is that I've liked a lot of the music for a long time now.

I simply cannot listen to any genre (of EDM or any type of music) exclusively for a long time--I just get burned out on it. I'm physically incapable of listening to a lot of D&B and most Big Beat right now, as Fatboy Slim's You've Come A Long Way, Baby spent spent nearly 10 months straight in my CD player and was on non-stop. Of course, DeeJay Punk Roc is a huge exception, since he is a fucking god. :D Also, while I don't listen to D&B much these days, Dieselboy's The Dungeon Master's Guide is a classic--with Peter Fucking Cullen doing V.O.'s. How can an album named after a D&D book with Optimus Prime on it not be completely awesome?

Singles on my heavy rotation right now:

“Scream,” Starkillers
    “Wet N Wild,” Kim (Adam Freeland’s Midnight Juggernauts Mix)
    “F.U.N.K,” General Midi
    “Are You the One?” The Presets
    “Shiny Toy Guns,” Le Disko

Additional info:

“Anarchy in the UK,” Freddie Filter vs. The Sex Pistols: Wow. I heard this for the first time about a month ago and absolutely loved it. Great song to add to the collection for any punk/EDM fan.

“Ant Music,” Hyper: See above. A very fun cover of a classic tune.

Some other current favs that I've been listening to a lot over the last couple of years:

I Am X
    Goldfrapp
    M83 still gets a lot of play--Digital Shades Vol. I is a wonderful ambient work
    I Monster
    Client

So... any Illbient fans out there? That's another one I stopped listening to, but I have a lot of respect for DJ Spooky and absolutely loved Riddim Warfare and Songs of a Dead Dreamer.

Finally, here's a question: anybody have info on Tsewer Beta? I only caught one song on a friend's satellite radio, but it sounded very cool. I just haven't been able to track down much info.

Sorry for the rambling. There's a lot of ground that can be covered with EDM. 8-)

Edit: Squarepusher is good, but I really love Aphex Twin. "Start As You Mean To Go On" still kicks my ass when I listen to it.

NexusSix on
    REASON - Version 1.0B7 Gatling type 3 mm hypervelocity railgun system
    Ng Security Industries, Inc.
    PRERELEASE VERSION-NOT FOR FIELD USE - DO NOT TEST IN A POPULATED AREA
    -ULTIMA RATIO REGUM-
  • Options
    edited November 2007
    Inquisitor wrote: »

I saw Daft Punk live for one of the stops for their alive concert. So let me assure you, it kicks fucking ass.

This is a severe understatement. Seeing Daft Punk was some of the greatest two hours of my life. They're retiring their pyramid setup after this year, and I feel a deep sadness for anyone who missed out on it.

flamebroiledchicken on
    y59kydgzuja4.png
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited November 2007
    Aphex twin is damn too good I forgot about him.

His album covers are motherfucking creepy though.

Also Basement Jaxx's "Remedy' is possibly the best party CD ever made.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    redxredx I(x)=2(x)+1 whole numbersRegistered User regular
    edited November 2007
    HI NAMEY!

I haven't been listening to shit for electronic music recently. Though, I do enjoy the hell out of dnb and some trance and even a bit of house here and there.

I've never been able to get into daft punk, and I've tried really hard. I've listened to all there albums several times. In a panoply of states of consciousness, and it just doesn't work for me. I kinda like technolgic, but that's it, out of like a bajillion songs.

redx on
    They moistly come out at night, moistly.
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Inquisitor wrote: »

This is a severe understatement. Seeing Daft Punk was some of the greatest two hours of my life. They're retiring their pyramid setup after this year, and I feel a deep sadness for anyone who missed out on it.

I was gonna say that. SEVERE understatement. If you saw the show (I did absolute front and center @ Seattle), you saw one of the greatest live shows in the history of live music.

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    djklaydjklay Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Ah one of these threads again. If you can't tell by my nick I dj myself as a hobby and have for the past 7 years, and vinyl all the way, can't get enough of that black crack. Unfortunately I live in northern Alberta at the moment so I rarely get to hear new tunes unless I go hunting and my exposure to dj's is very pathetic lately. My beats of choice are speed garage, hard house, funky house, funky breaks and even happycore. I mostly spin speed garage, I love the bouncy/prominent basslines that the genre highlights. A lot of speed garage has samples from rnb which I could do without, I'm always about the beat no matter how bad the lyrics are (I even have a speed garage remix of 5ive-when the lights go out, heh). Since we're sharing sets, you can get one that I did a few years back here: http://www.djklay.com/djklay-demo.mp3

The set goes from darker, older speed garage (from about 97-99) till when I made it in 05. The reason for my love of 'dance' music? Well to dance of course. To me music is for dancing, it may be a shallow view but it's mine. All the music I enjoy has a beat that I enjoy and if I'm not bopping my head to the rhythm then it's not for me. About the OP asking about dnb, I have been getting more into it as I hear sets but I can't get my dancing down to the tune and just doesn't 'make me want to dance'. Though since I'm stuck way up north I'll take listening to cheesy happy house over the country stuff that assaults my ears daily.

PS dance music is a horrible title for this thread, can you at least call it electronica, or techno if you must but that's a whole genre of eletronica really? They have those shitty Much Dance 200X cd's that are all rap/rnb stuff that is hardly what comes to my mind when I think of dance.

PPS if you actually visit my site, I realize it looks like ass, but I was doing it to learn some flash and couldn't be bothered to update it. Working on a drupal site atm.

djklay on
  • Options
    Vert1Vert1 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Gotta love those Streets of Rage 2 tunes. Isn't it like the only vgm ost that was sold in Borders?

I'd recommend everyone check out Visage for dance music. Don't expect anything too fast though.

Vert1 on
    blood_berry_new.jpg
    Sleep wrote: »
    Vert1 wrote: »
    I'd like to ask everyone here one question. What is a game?

A lower form of sex.
  • Options
    DJ Cam CamDJ Cam Cam Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    If you don't want to wait untill December 4th for Daft Punk Alive 2007 you can get it for $9 off of the amazon mp3 downloads right now. Seriously, best $9 I spent on a CD ever, and one of the finest live recordings ever.

I saw them live when they rolled through Red Rocks here in Colorado. Best venue with the best show I have ever seen in my life.

DJ Cam Cam on
  • Options
    djklaydjklay Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

I didn't realize you guys brought up this guide, it's still around? I hadn't seen it in years since the guy first made it. Ishkur used to be a very vocal party kid (least on the msg boards) from Vancouver but since I moved away from Victoria I hadn't really kept up with the scene out there.

djklay on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I like my band.

Dangerous Muse

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Podly wrote: »
    I like my band.

Dangerous Muse

Hmmm. Neat remake of that song, though not sure if I prefer the original by Ministry more.

Aegis on
    Characters
  • Options
    GlorfindelGlorfindel Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Cobblestone Jazz are pretty cool, if you're looking for something a little different.

Glorfindel on