As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

British teacher lets students name bear Muhammad, incures wrath

14567810»

• SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    faitheo, hotman!

SithDrummer on
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Shurakai wrote: »
    After playing assassin's creed, I have more respect for middle eastern culture. Plus, I got to shove a spike through the many, skulls of infidel crusaders.

However, I did get tired of hearing the same old speeches about "christian kings" and the "infidel army" being shouted in the streets, so I usually took the time to punch the dude in the face and go on my merry way. Same thing with those filthy beggars and the plethora of mental patients that seem to walk the streets.

I love the game, but how exactly did AC give you more "respect" for middle eastern culture? Unless you had never heard the Crusades from a Muslim perspective.

Javen on
  • ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Ranx wrote: »
    Guys, would it be fair to say that the more extreme branch of Islam that is quite prevalent in the Middle-East is kind of like pre-reformation Christianity?

I would argue that Islam as a whole is a lot like pre-reformation Christianity given the level of corruption and lack of separation between church and state.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Penguin IncarnatePenguin Incarnate King of Kafiristan Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Guys, would it be fair to say that the more extreme branch of Islam that is quite prevalent in the Middle-East is kind of like pre-reformation Christianity?
    Pretty, much, yeah. A lot of the things the Middle East is going through currently is mirrored rather well by the Middle Ages. If I remember correctly, Islam is also the same amount of time away from it's origin as pre-reform Christianity was.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Butters wrote: »

I would argue that Islam as a whole is a lot like pre-reformation Christianity given the level of corruption and lack of separation between church and state.

Well, pre-reformation, post-Constantinian European Christianity.

although early Islam under Muhammad and his successors was a lot more focused on conversion through conquering than European Christianity ever was

Centipede Damascus on
    edited December 2007
    That is true, PI.
    Butters wrote: »

Well, pre-reformation, post-Constantinian European Christianity.

although early Islam under Muhammad and his successors was a lot more focused on conversion through conquering than European Christianity ever was

To clarify I am talking about the era of christianity right before reformation and the current state of Islam.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • coldbird.coldbird. Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    haha, religion

coldbird. on
    edited December 2007
    coldbird. wrote: »
    haha, religion
    i no rite

Penguin Incarnate on
  • coldbird.coldbird. Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    are those tommy jones' eyes
    cuz they really look like bush's

coldbird. on
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Just to touch on the original topic.

Apparently, pretty much 99% of the people calling for this teachers' death were government employees given the rest of the day off if they protested.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
    edited December 2007

Apparently, pretty much 99% of the people calling for this teachers' death were government employees given the rest of the day off if they protested.
    I'm trying to decide if this is more fucked up or less fucked up.

Anyways, link the story.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

I'm trying to decide if this is more fucked up or less fucked up.

Anyways, link the story.
    Maybe I was a little liberal with the hyperbole, but the point is the same.
    Despite the display of outrage, witnesses said that many of the protesters were government employees ordered to demonstrate, and that aside from a large gathering outside the presidential palace, most of Khartoum was quiet. Imams across the city brought up the case in sermons after Friday Prayer, but few of them urged violence.
    “This woman gave an idol the name of Muhammad, which is not acceptable,” said Ahmed Muhammad, the imam at a mosque in Khartoum 2, an upscale section of town. But, he added, the proper response was more nuanced: “We have to first respect ourselves, and then others will respect us.”

Seems more like the Sudanese government is trying to stir up anti-foreigner sentiment than any real religious rage.

Der Waffle Mous on
    edited December 2007
    I guess then the real question is, "What the fuck is the Sudanese government's deal?" They're not doing themselves or their religion any favor by acting like crazy, xenophobic assholes.

Who benefits from this?

Penguin Incarnate on
    edited December 2007
    Darfur.

Der Waffle Mous on
    edited December 2007
    I guess then the real question is, "What the fuck is the Sudanese government's deal?" They're not doing themselves or their religion any favor by acting like crazy, xenophobic assholes.

Who benefits from this?

I don't think they thought this through that far. Maybe they just wanted to cane a white bitch and not look kinky for it.

Butters on
    edited December 2007
    Sudan can't get an erection unless they throw a broad in jail for insulting Mohammad.

Penguin Incarnate on
    edited December 2007
    And beat the shit out of her.

Butters on
    edited December 2007
    Keep on talking, I'm almost there...

Penguin Incarnate on
  • FirmSkaterFirmSkater Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The Muslim faith is really strict on what constitutes blasphemy.

They don't allow the depiction of humans or animals in the Qu'ran or in Mosques. It's not really a suprise people might be calling for her execution.

Of course that doesn't make it right.

FirmSkater on
    sig2.jpg
    edited December 2007
    FirmSkater wrote: »
    The Muslim faith is really strict on what constitutes blasphemy.

They don't allow the depiction of humans or animals in the Qu'ran or in Mosques. It's not really a suprise people might be calling for her execution.

Of course that doesn't make it right.

Jesus Christ! Who gives a flying shit what constitutes blasphemy?

Butters on
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2007
    I'm pretty sure they're doing this for publicity. There are cartoon characters on Sudanese TV named Mohamed, and they're not raising a stink about that; it's easily the most popular name in the country. And the "protests" they've had seem to be entirely organized by the government. Meh.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Dostoyevsky on 5h3 who43Dostoyevsky on 5h3 who43 Registered User new member
    edited December 2007
    *is a Muslim

I honestly agree that this is way over the line. This is a situation that probably the teacher was ignorant of but even jail for this is a bit too harsh, let alone calling for blood. Prophet Muhammad himself was insulted in front of his followers during his life and did not act towards it, not only that but he stopped his followers from doing anything to the guy that insulted him. This is a well known story in Islamic history yet it's always easy to incite a mob among the repressed to guide a deliver a certain agenda. Be it this time, or be it with the Jyllands Posten incident.

Sudan has one of the most backwards governments in the world. It's chaotic the way they run the country, not to mention Darfur and what stubbornness lead to there. Not only that, according to studies, Sudan can feed all of Africa. ALL OF AFRICA. The land is that fertile. Yet it's not even close to marginally utilized properly. An order of government employees to scamper about after having a few notes in their heads struck (combined with current hatred of the status quo and poverty and blaming said poverty on everyone else it's not so hard to rile them up). This is not close to what Islam resembles, yet there are so many hands that come in altering to get their own agenda accross. Be it Sudan wanting to further its anti-west image, or "extremist muslims" brainwashed by their faction leader.

Dostoyevsky on 5h3 who43 on
    D:
  • ShurakaiShurakai Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Javen wrote: »
    Shurakai wrote: »
    After playing assassin's creed, I have more respect for middle eastern culture. Plus, I got to shove a spike through the many, skulls of infidel crusaders.

However, I did get tired of hearing the same old speeches about "christian kings" and the "infidel army" being shouted in the streets, so I usually took the time to punch the dude in the face and go on my merry way. Same thing with those filthy beggars and the plethora of mental patients that seem to walk the streets.

I love the game, but how exactly did AC give you more "respect" for middle eastern culture? Unless you had never heard the Crusades from a Muslim perspective.

Well, I suppose I didn't really know anything about middle eastern culture except "aulalalalalalaelelele!" and camels, so anything is an improvement.

Shurakai on
  • ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Ohh.. So I think what they are really pissed off about is that they think the bear is some sort of idol. Not that she named it, just that they think it is uh.. an object of worship or something? Weird.

Artreus on
    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • CrossBusterCrossBuster Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Elki wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure they're doing this for publicity. There are cartoon characters on Sudanese TV named Mohamed, and they're not raising a stink about that; it's easily the most popular name in the country. And the "protests" they've had seem to be entirely organized by the government. Meh.

Doesn't change the fact that a person who has done absolutely nothing wrong is going to be caned and/or imprisoned.

CrossBuster on
    penguins.png
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited December 2007

Doesn't change the fact that a person who has done absolutely nothing wrong is going to be caned and/or imprisoned.

It Sudan; not gonna be the first or last time.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
    edited December 2007

It Sudan; not gonna be the first or last time.
    All things considered, this is small fries compared to what else is going on in Sudan.

Penguin Incarnate on
  • RitchmeisterRitchmeister Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    But of course this just makes people give even less of a fuck about what happens to the Sudanese people in Darfur for example, because "who wants to help the dirty fuckers that would jail someone over a minor cultural misunderstanding".

Ritchmeister on
    edited December 2007
    But of course this just makes people give even less of a fuck about what happens to the Sudanese people in Darfur for example, because "who wants to help the dirty fuckers that would jail someone over a minor cultural misunderstanding".
    I'm going to wager that you're misinformed about something.

Penguin Incarnate on