Options

Why I will never trust downloadable content again. XBX360

13»

• Options
    ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Smudge wrote: »
    Or is there a way to play steam games offline? I don't know if you can or not since I always have a connection to my PC.

Steam needs to be running, but you do not need to be online to play.

So, what stops one steam account from buying, lets say, portal and then downloading it on 1000 computers and them all playing it offline? 1000 is a silly number, but call it X if you prefer.

I've done that with a friend so that he could play HL2 episode 1. In theory, you could just do that, but something tells me that valve monitors for abuse of their system. Who wants to test it? ;)

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    Or is there a way to play steam games offline? I don't know if you can or not since I always have a connection to my PC.

So, what stops one steam account from buying, lets say, portal and then downloading it on 1000 computers and them all playing it offline? 1000 is a silly number, but call it X if you prefer.

I can't answer that question but I can say that Steam simply did not allow me to play offline when I was disconnected from the internet. It is possible that if you set it up to play offline while you are still online that it will allow it.

http://support.steampowered.com/cgi-bin/steampowered.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=213

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

The next time those computers go online again, they need to reinput the passwords, or something. Also, the klaxons and flashing lights go off in Valve's Fraud and Abuse department.

Really, I guess Valve just decided that it's better to have people theoretically capable of playing the same copy of a single-player game on two computers at once for limited times via minor difficulty rather than pissing off customers by requiring internet access all the time. Which, y'know, is good.

also, for any download-for-money service, infinite redownloads should be fucking mandatory. You're selling it like it's a service; give it to me as a service. No infinite redownloads == no money from me.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    Also, offline mode doesn't let you use the server browser to find anything.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    liquidloganliquidlogan Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Sorry to drag up this thread, but my 360 got RRoD yesterday so I have a question. First of all, the Indian guy I spoke with said that there was no way that I can get my downloaded content onto my new Xbox without signing into XBL and that he couldn't transfer the license over. I'm so fucking pissed and I know he's lying god damnit.

That being said, I can't wait 4-8 weeks for a new console so in the meantime I might be tempted to pick up a new console and give the old one to a friend when he gets back. Is there any way that Microsoft has come up with recently that will let me transfer that license over to the new console? I mean, its not a big deal since I only downloaded TMNT 1989 that I actually paid for, but that really is not the point.

I remember a while ago somebody saying Microsoft gave them points to redownload the stuff. Is there any truth to that?

Side note: In picking up another console, is there a link to what I should be looking for to avoid this again? I'm thinking specifically in terms of manufacturing dates as I will most likely be picking up a used/refurbished console.

liquidlogan on
  • Options
    JCRooksJCRooks Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Sorry to drag up this thread, but my 360 got RRoD yesterday so I have a question. First of all, the Indian guy I spoke with said that there was no way that I can get my downloaded content onto my new Xbox without signing into XBL and that he couldn't transfer the license over. I'm so fucking pissed and I know he's lying god damnit.

That being said, I can't wait 4-8 weeks for a new console so in the meantime I might be tempted to pick up a new console and give the old one to a friend when he gets back. Is there any way that Microsoft has come up with recently that will let me transfer that license over to the new console? I mean, its not a big deal since I only downloaded TMNT 1989 that I actually paid for, but that really is not the point.

I remember a while ago somebody saying Microsoft gave them points to redownload the stuff. Is there any truth to that?

The support guy is wrong. Here are some instructions I got from Support, regarding this licensing issue. Hope it helps:
    1) MOST (I can’t give statistics) people who have their consoles repaired or replaced have their licenses fixed automatically, and re-downloading the content informs the console of this change immediately. (If you don’t request the content be redownloaded, the console never updates the license data stored on the hard drive. We can’t modify your hard drive remotely, after all.)
    2) IF that doesn’t work, call 1-800-4-MY-XBOX. Explain that you’ve recently had a repair, and your content isn’t working offline. Mention that the issue is related to KB 930017, and that you want your licenses checked.
    3) IF the agent argues in anywawy (and yes, you MUST perform the redownload check first), ask to escalate to a supervisor. Mention the same KB article #.
    4) They should ask you a bunch of questions, and you should have the following information ready:
    a. Gamertag that PURCHASED the content, not the gamertags having the issue playing offline
    b. Console Serial Number (Found in the USB bay on the front)
    c. Console ID (Found in System, Console Settings, System Info)
    d. Repair SR (If it wasn’t repaired, you’ll need to fax in documentation on why the console was swapped by someone else, such as a retail exchange receipt)
    5) Ensure you get an SR.

There is a lot of bad publicity and customer pain, and this is one of the major tasks I am working on in Xbox Support is helping to identify and provide exceptional service on resolving this issue.

IF your case takes longer than the 30 days specified by Xbox Support, PLEASE, little ‘r’ me the SR #.

For the last part, actually contact me (only after 30 days) and I'll see if I can help you out.

Long story short, if you get your console repaired, it should automatically be fixed with the licenses. If not, then follow the steps above. Use the KB number. It is not a "fixed in a few hours" situation, and no matter how much you argue, it isn't going to make it faster. Support has to investigate each and every situation, to prevent cases of fraud/lying, and this unfortunately takes time.

JCRooks on
    Xbox LIVE, Steam, Twitter, etc. ...
    Gamertag: Rooks
    - Don't add me, I'm at/near the friend limit :)

Steam: JC_Rooks

Twitter: http://twitter.com/JiunweiC

I work on this: http://www.xbox.com
  • Options
    finalbroadcastfinalbroadcast WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    This whole thing is silly. My Wii has been broken now for a month, and becasue of their asinine system for VC games, they can't just give me a new one because I would lose all of my games.

finalbroadcast on
    finalbroadcast.jpg
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2008
    Yeah, if you send your console to Microsoft for repairs, don't they transfer the game licenses to the new console?

They are handling everything that they need to. Your beef, as far as I can tell, should be with CC, since they are the ones who fucked you.

Doc on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited January 2008
    So, my brother got back a replacement 360.

And his download history has disappeared.

I'm going to have a very interesting call to 1800MYXBOX tommorow.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    RookieRookie Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    JCRooks wrote:
    Yup, it's messy (which is why I hate DRM). If you go through the normal repair process, the console ID switching is supposed to be done automatically. Now if you go through alternate channels, I'm not exactly sure what the policy is. However I do know that they can switch console IDs over the phone.

I've been told every single one of the approximately twelve to fifteen times I've called 1800-4MY-XBOX that this is absolutely not possible. If it actually is possible, I would love it if you could put me in contact with someone who can do it. :lol:

Rookie on
    TheRizzle.png
    PSN: TheSuperVillain
  • Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Rookie wrote: »
    JCRooks wrote:
    Yup, it's messy (which is why I hate DRM). If you go through the normal repair process, the console ID switching is supposed to be done automatically. Now if you go through alternate channels, I'm not exactly sure what the policy is. However I do know that they can switch console IDs over the phone.

I've been told every single one of the approximately twelve to fifteen times I've called 1800-4MY-XBOX that this is absolutely not possible. If it actually is possible, I would love it if you could put me in contact with someone who can do it. :lol:

They're currently doing it for me (gonna give me a call back in 3-4 weeks), but this is because I had my console repaired by them under the warranty, not because I wanted a new one.

Djiem on
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    JCRooks wrote:

I was incorrect. See my previous post on the proper way to do it.

Basically, console ID switching is possible, but not without investigation by Support. This can take a few weeks. It's not a case of MS blowing people off, but that the Support team is severely understaffed. This is currently being addressed, but I have no ETA when it'll be better (since I don't work on that team).

Maybe in the past console ID switching was done instantaneously over the phone, but then something caused MS to change the policy. (Maybe people started taking advantage of this to illegitimately get games?) I'm not sure.

JCRooks on

• Options
    DjiemDjiem Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    JCRooks wrote: »
    JCRooks wrote:

I was incorrect. See my previous post on the proper way to do it.

Basically, console ID switching is possible, but not without investigation by Support. This can take a few weeks. It's not a case of MS blowing people off, but that the Support team is severely understaffed. This is currently being addressed, but I have no ETA when it'll be better (since I don't work on that team).

Maybe in the past console ID switching was done instantaneously over the phone, but then something caused MS to change the policy. (Maybe people started taking advantage of this to illegitimately get games?) I'm not sure.

If I had to guess, I'd say that the answer is in your post, "the Support team is severely understaffed", which means they can't just do it all the time for everyone.

Djiem on
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008

The support guy is wrong. Here are some instructions I got from Support, regarding this licensing issue. Hope it helps:
    1) MOST (I can’t give statistics) people who have their consoles repaired or replaced have their licenses fixed automatically, and re-downloading the content informs the console of this change immediately. (If you don’t request the content be redownloaded, the console never updates the license data stored on the hard drive. We can’t modify your hard drive remotely, after all.)
    2) IF that doesn’t work, call 1-800-4-MY-XBOX. Explain that you’ve recently had a repair, and your content isn’t working offline. Mention that the issue is related to KB 930017, and that you want your licenses checked.
    3) IF the agent argues in anywawy (and yes, you MUST perform the redownload check first), ask to escalate to a supervisor. Mention the same KB article #.
    4) They should ask you a bunch of questions, and you should have the following information ready:
    a. Gamertag that PURCHASED the content, not the gamertags having the issue playing offline
    b. Console Serial Number (Found in the USB bay on the front)
    c. Console ID (Found in System, Console Settings, System Info)
    d. Repair SR (If it wasn’t repaired, you’ll need to fax in documentation on why the console was swapped by someone else, such as a retail exchange receipt)
    5) Ensure you get an SR.

There is a lot of bad publicity and customer pain, and this is one of the major tasks I am working on in Xbox Support is helping to identify and provide exceptional service on resolving this issue.

IF your case takes longer than the 30 days specified by Xbox Support, PLEASE, little ‘r’ me the SR #.

For the last part, actually contact me (only after 30 days) and I'll see if I can help you out.

Long story short, if you get your console repaired, it should automatically be fixed with the licenses. If not, then follow the steps above. Use the KB number. It is not a "fixed in a few hours" situation, and no matter how much you argue, it isn't going to make it faster. Support has to investigate each and every situation, to prevent cases of fraud/lying, and this unfortunately takes time.

Is there still no way of getting help for my issue?
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=31610

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    edited January 2008

It's been a while since I was in that thread. From what I recall, you're still out of luck, when it comes to getting the offline DRM state when transferring licenses/DLC from one hard drive to another. I'm not sure of the exact policy behind this. It's definitely confusing to me, and I'm not currently working on Marketplace stuff to understand fully.

I could dig into what Marketplace is working on next, but I wouldn't be allowed to share it to anyone, which sort of defeats the purpose. :P

That said, you do know that you can be signed in with a gamertag but not signed into LIVE, right? Basically, you're logged in with your profile. I believe that should still give you access to your DLC, but I'm not 100% sure. That said, it doesn't solve the issue where you'd want to be able to access the content on the box with a different gamertag (a spouse, sibling, roommate, etc.).

EDIT:
    BTW - You are definitely not alone in thinking this is a stupid policy. Many, many other Microsofties have written in complaining about the problem too. So yeah, the team is definitely aware of the issue. Whether not it's something they can work on, or currently are ... they can't tell us.

JCRooks on

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008

It's been a while since I was in that thread. From what I recall, you're still out of luck, when it comes to getting the offline DRM state when transferring licenses/DLC from one hard drive to another. I'm not sure of the exact policy behind this. It's definitely confusing to me, and I'm not currently working on Marketplace stuff to understand fully.

I could dig into what Marketplace is working on next, but I wouldn't be allowed to share it to anyone, which sort of defeats the purpose. :P

That said, you do know that you can be signed in with a gamertag but not signed into LIVE, right? Basically, you're logged in with your profile. I believe that should still give you access to your DLC, but I'm not 100% sure. That said, it doesn't solve the issue where you'd want to be able to access the content on the box with a different gamertag (a spouse, sibling, roommate, etc.).

EDIT:
    BTW - You are definitely not alone in thinking this is a stupid policy. Many, many other Microsofties have written in complaining about the problem too. So yeah, the team is definitely aware of the issue. Whether not it's something they can work on, or currently are ... they can't tell us.

Nope that does not work for me at all, I HAVE to be signed into live to play my download content reguardless of if I'm logged into my username or not. I don't want to break any rules or let anybody else play with my content on other tags, I just want to be able to use the content that I payed for when my net does not work or when I'm on vacation.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Man the PS3 drm is so much better (not tied to name or PS3, just limited to 5 downloads) its a shame that PSN is so lacking compared to the XBLA. I'm guessing its because the the barrier to entry on the 360 is so much lower. I can only hope this changes with time.

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Options
    truck-a-saurastruck-a-sauras Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Add me to the list of unhappy customers.

Even when signed into Live I am still unable to play Puzzle Quest as it always says it is locked in trial mode. After some searching I found that this is a known issue for months now and they are yet to patch it.

So playing by the MS rules doesn't work either.

After all the posts I've seen online it isn't even worth the headache of trying the license swap with customer service as I'm a RROD victim.

Goodbye $15 and beloved puzzle quest.

truck-a-sauras on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam
    XBOX
  • Options
    DratatooDratatoo Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Hey what about DLC over just the internet, if you should lose the installer/data files for any of the Oblivion DLC more then 3 or 4? days after buying it, you're SOL. I think steam is the only really quality system so far, and even it has it's issues.

Yeah I had/have a problem with steam too. I accidentally purchased the censored german version of Dark Messiah of Might and Magic and registered it with steam. Realizing my mistake I bought the english uncut version (again). Unfortunately I couldn't enter the new registration number because the game was "already registered". I asked kindly if the former registration could be removed (even if it was lost this way, I wouldn't care). Got no reply from the support. At least there is the option to install the game sans steam.

Secondly games will be censored automatically on Steam if a) you connect with a IP adress/range which is commonly used by German internet providers b) having a account which is registered for Germany - or some odd combination of payment data/acc country/IP. Thats the reason some customers in the USA could only use/download the German version because the IP range matched with one which is more common in Germany. Its not the case that Germany is that strict about violence, the reason is that companies prefer the "rip off the offending limb if there is only a small cut" method also know as self-censorship. And having no means to verify that you are over 18 is a straight kick in the balls too.

Microsoft is as worse. No Tenage Mutant Heroes Turtles Arcade for German Accounts at launch, because it wasn't validated/available here in the past. Alien Hominid was bloodless (Flowermode always on) for months.

Dratatoo on
  • Options
    edited January 2008

EDIT:

Nope that does not work for me at all, I HAVE to be signed into live to play my download content reguardless of if I'm logged into my username or not. I don't want to break any rules or let anybody else play with my content on other tags, I just want to be able to use the content that I payed for when my net does not work or when I'm on vacation.

Sorry to hear it doesn't work. As I said in my edit, it's a known issue. I'll let you know if the policy changes. I know the issue comes up fairly often in some internal discussion groups. Personally, I'm also interested too, since I've been thinking about going from a 20 GB to 120 GB, and would ideally like to keep my license fully intact too.

Now that more and more companies are embracing online/digital distribution, we're starting to see lots of customer pain with how the content is protected. It's not just Microsoft either. It's Valve (with Steam), Sony (with PSN), Nintendo (with the Virtual Console), and even companies like Apple (iTunes music and video). Granted, some companies handle it better than others, but we're still a long way from it being straightforward and consumer-friendly-for-all.

As I've said in the past, I'm not a fan of DRM in general. I know it's often a "necessary evil" (especially in light of the massive piracy currently affecting PC games like Crysis), but still, I wish there was a solution that benefited both consumers and protected the developer/publisher.

JCRooks on

• Options
    edited January 2008

EDIT:

Sorry to hear it doesn't work. As I said in my edit, it's a known issue. I'll let you know if the policy changes. I know the issue comes up fairly often in some internal discussion groups. Personally, I'm also interested too, since I've been thinking about going from a 20 GB to 120 GB, and would ideally like to keep my license fully intact too.

Now that more and more companies are embracing online/digital distribution, we're starting to see lots of customer pain with how the content is protected. It's not just Microsoft either. It's Valve (with Steam), Sony (with PSN), Nintendo (with the Virtual Console), and even companies like Apple (iTunes music and video). Granted, some companies handle it better than others, but we're still a long way from it being straightforward and consumer-friendly-for-all.

As I've said in the past, I'm not a fan of DRM in general. I know it's often a "necessary evil" (especially in light of the massive piracy currently affecting PC games like Crysis), but still, I wish there was a solution that benefited both consumers and protected the developer/publisher.

DRM as it stands is fucktarded because there is some FREE content that I can't even access without net access. And what makes even less sense is that I've tried deleting the free content and redownloading it and I still can't access it offline. What the hell man?

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    swphreakswphreak Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I had a similar problem when my 360 RRoDed. When I got my refurb, I couldn't use anything I downloaded unless I was signed into Live. After a week of it, I got pissed off enough to call India, and the guy told me to go to Marketplace -> Download History and then redownload my stuff. Since I did that, my DLC works fine signed in or out.

swphreak on
  • Options
    liquidloganliquidlogan Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    So JC, I'm shipping out my 360 today. Purolator should be stopping by to pick it up. Should I give Microsoft a call now with my reference number to remind them/request for them to change my console licenses or should I just wait to see if it works when I get it back?

liquidlogan on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Dratatoo wrote: »
    Hey what about DLC over just the internet, if you should lose the installer/data files for any of the Oblivion DLC more then 3 or 4? days after buying it, you're SOL. I think steam is the only really quality system so far, and even it has it's issues.

Yeah I had/have a problem with steam too. I accidentally purchased the censored german version of Dark Messiah of Might and Magic and registered it with steam. Realizing my mistake I bought the english uncut version (again). Unfortunately I couldn't enter the new registration number because the game was "already registered". I asked kindly if the former registration could be removed (even if it was lost this way, I wouldn't care). Got no reply from the support. At least there is the option to install the game sans steam.

Secondly games will be censored automatically on Steam if a) you connect with a IP adress/range which is commonly used by German internet providers b) having a account which is registered for Germany - or some odd combination of payment data/acc country/IP. Thats the reason some customers in the USA could only use/download the German version because the IP range matched with one which is more common in Germany. Its not the case that Germany is that strict about violence, the reason is that companies prefer the "rip off the offending limb if there is only a small cut" method also know as self-censorship. And having no means to verify that you are over 18 is a straight kick in the balls too.

Microsoft is as worse. No Tenage Mutant Heroes Turtles Arcade for German Accounts at launch, because it wasn't validated/available here in the past. Alien Hominid was bloodless (Flowermode always on) for months.

The legal and technical issues with DLC not being transferable and whatnot are understandably unpopular (and very stupid). However, something like no blood in Alien Hominid isn't Microsoft's fault. They follow the laws of the countries they operate in (presumably, anyway). It's not Microsoft's fault if the German government is overzealous when it comes to violent content and won't review games before they get released because of stupid technicalities, but then turn around and give games ratings that'll screw up sales. Don't blame devs or publishers for having to take extreme measures to make sure their game is ok for sale in Germany, blame the politicians that get bad laws written (which is just as bad as the nebulous laws in the US that are making DLC transfer so ridiculous).

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    So JC, I'm shipping out my 360 today. Purolator should be stopping by to pick it up. Should I give Microsoft a call now with my reference number to remind them/request for them to change my console licenses or should I just wait to see if it works when I get it back?

It will happen without you prompting them to but save yourself the trouble and wait a week or so after you get it back.

It wouldn't work for me the day I got my first one back so I opened a ticket with support and when I got no response I called back 2 weeks later and it ended up working fine with the lady on the phone.

On a side note my 2nd 360 is on it's way to the mass grave in TX.

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • Options
    edited January 2008

It will happen without you prompting them to but save yourself the trouble and wait a week or so after you get it back.

It wouldn't work for me the day I got my first one back so I opened a ticket with support and when I got no response I called back 2 weeks later and it ended up working fine with the lady on the phone.

On a side note my 2nd 360 is on it's way to the mass grave in TX.

FaceballMcDougal is right. Wait until you get it back. Supposedly it's automatically done for the majority of cases. I think you have to redownload them once you get it back, and then it will work.

If it doesn't, that's when you call Support. In this thread, I listed some steps that you can use, in case one of the Support junkies give you trouble. And yes, those are official steps from a Support Lead, who's currently working on getting everyone in Support to understand this issue ... way too many of the current folks don't know what's going on and have been saying the wrong things to customers.

Anyhoo, good luck!

JCRooks on

• Options
    FaceballMcDougalFaceballMcDougal Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    The support dude I talked to when my 360 died recently said all this crazy crap about putting my 360 in a box, then putting that box inside another box well-padded. I don't know what the hell he was talking about because I know the deal... the coffin they send has specific instructions and he should not be giving odd instructions to people. If I was an Average Joe I might have had to call back and ask where the fuck my second box was.

FaceballMcDougal on
    xbl/psn/steam: jabbertrack
  • Options
    edited January 2008
    The support dude I talked to when my 360 died recently said all this crazy crap about putting my 360 in a box, then putting that box inside another box well-padded. I don't know what the hell he was talking about because I know the deal... the coffin they send has specific instructions and he should not be giving odd instructions to people. If I was an Average Joe I might have had to call back and ask where the fuck my second box was.

Ugh. Hiring and maintaining quality people to be on a Support staff must be one of the hardest and most frustrating jobs in the world. Anyone who's bright and intelligent with good communication skills, will probably be at a more high paying job elsewhere. Or at the very least, they're not going to last very long as a phone rep before moving on somewhere else, or up the management chain.

JCRooks on