As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Activision and Blizzard to merge

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So basically this won't change Blizzard or Activision's operations at all and it's pretty much just a behind-the-scenes business deal.

Zek on
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I hate name changes like this. Whenever two companies merge and they settle for a name with is effectively Company x Company y, they almost always phase out the Company y part within a few of years. We could be looking at the death of the Blizzard brand within five years, people...

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    emnmnme wrote: »
    Wait, how do people reason that Activision Blizzard is a dumb title but Square Enix is acceptable?

Because Square Enix was a merger between two companies called Squaresoft and Enix, whereas this Activision merger is between Activision and Vivendi.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I hate name changes like this. Whenever two companies merge and they settle for a name with is effectively Company x Company y, they almost always phase out the Company y part within a few of years. We could be looking at the death of the Blizzard brand within five years, people...

Not really. They're still going to use Blizzard Entertainment with their games.

Zek on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Wait, how do people reason that Activision Blizzard is a dumb title but Square Enix is acceptable?

Because Square Enix was a merger between two companies called Squaresoft and Enix, whereas this Activision merger is between Activision and Vivendi.

Very true.

Also, so much for loyal Blizzard fans. Snippet from the WoW boards -

"If I even hear a rumor about in-game adverts I'll burn my copy of WoW."

emnmnme on
  • Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    "Yeah! I'll burn my game disc! Never mind that I can still downloaded the client from the internet! And... wait, cancel my account? No, man! I'm nearly Level 70. Level 70, people."

Squirminator2k on
    Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • Options
    TheBogTheBog Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Activision and Blizzard to merge
    FUCK!!

TheBog on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Rolo wrote: »
    Is anyone else feeling more despair than shock at this? Is it just me?

not just you. i dont think i've ever even played a Blizzard game, and I dont want Activision F-ing around with what's good. I don't know why, but i keep getting the feeling that Activision's QA mindset isnt good, at least not with GHIII

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I have a lot of faith that Blizzard will continue to operate as per usual. No one's going to try and change what they do, it's just stupid.

I may also be in the minority, but I think that as far as huge publishers go, Activision has a very low concentration of evil. I really do think everything will be business as usual, just with a new (albeit stupid) name.

Still, I'm shocked, and I bet EA is, too.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The_Scarab wrote: »

Very true.

Also, so much for loyal Blizzard fans. Snippet from the WoW boards -

"If I even hear a rumor about in-game adverts I'll burn my copy of WoW."

You and me both know this will not happen. Addicts cant just give up like that. They will stop playing for like a day then jump right back in no question. I hate that kind of fakery when protesting something. If you want to make a point, at least be fucking believable.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    MaratanosMaratanos Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    You know, how long exactly will it take before someone decides to start making anti-trust charges?

Will we have to wait for Ubisoft, EA, and Vivendi to merge?

That might be a little on the late side.

Maratanos on
  • Options
    OhtsamOhtsam Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    On the plus side this might mean Diablo 3 (when it released in like 8 years) might be released on consoles as well as pcs

Ohtsam on
  • Options
    Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Ohtsam wrote: »
    On the plus side this might mean Diablo 3 (when it released in like 8 years) might be dumbed down for consoles
    I jest

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    delroland wrote: »
    delroland wrote: »
    Narian wrote: »
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    Blizzard developing Guitar Hero 4?

Arthas as a secret character.

And now, finally, after 25 years: bards no longer suck.

YOU ARE NOT PREPARED....

TO ROCK!

Hey guys, I just mastered Selo's Accelerando on Expert! More haste for everyone!

Pffft. We should all know that Selo's Accelerating Chorus is superior since it doesn't require everyone to be close to the bard.

Nevermind that it also frees up an extra song for twisting.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    On the plus side this might mean Diablo 3 (when it released in like 8 years) might be dumbed down for consoles
    I jest

I don't fucking jest. This is bad bad news.

TheBog on
  • Options
    roflgoblinroflgoblin Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    On the plus side this might mean Diablo 3 (when it released in like 8 years) might be released on consoles as well as pcs

Come on, you and I both know that Diablo is meant to be played on a PC, not a console. And I hope to all-mighty God they don't turn Diablo 3 into an MMORPG.

roflgoblin on
    "There's no such thing as real life, just AFK."
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Raslin wrote: »
    Ohh dear lord.

I just imagined a cinematic singleplayer starcraft game in the vein of CoD4.

I'm crying. Its so beautiful.

If they want to make me feel better, they'll call it Starcraft: Ghost.

If they REALLY want to make me feel better, Activision either informally started work, or are starting now, and it'll be polished and ready to ship about the same time Blizzard is done with Starcraft 2.

werehippy on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Zek on
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Maratanos wrote: »
    You know, how long exactly will it take before someone decides to start making anti-trust charges?

Will we have to wait for Ubisoft, EA, and Vivendi to merge?

That might be a little on the late side.
    Nonsense: EA, Activizzard, Ubisoft, plus the first-party publishers -- that's still a lot of competition.

gilrain on
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    To the people crying-

How exactly do you think this is going to negatively impact Blizzard?

This is not a case of a smalltime dev being gobbled up.

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    The moment Blizzard makes a console-exclusive game, the shit will hit the fan.

TheBog on
  • Options
    Inglorious CoyoteInglorious Coyote Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    bruin wrote: »
    Wait uh, this isn't just Blizzard merging with Activision, it's all of Vivendi.

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20071202005054&newsLang=en
    SANTA MONICA, Calif. & PARIS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Activision, Inc. (NASDAQ: ATVI) and Vivendi (Euronext Paris: VIV) today announced that they have signed a definitive agreement to combine Vivendi Games, Vivendi's interactive entertainment business -- which includes Blizzard Entertainment’s® World of Warcraft®, the world’s #1 multi-player online role-playing game franchise -- with Activision, creating the world’s largest pure-play online and console game publisher. The new company, Activision Blizzard, is expected to have approximately $3.8 billion in pro forma combined calendar 2007 revenues and the highest operating margins of any major third-party video game publisher. On closing of the transaction, Activision will be renamed Activision Blizzard and will continue to operate as a public company traded on NASDAQ under the ticker ATVI.

Vivendi Games, not Vivendi. Vivendi will own a controlling share of the company.
    Do we know Vivendi will get a controlling interest? I just heard it say they would be the largest single shareholder, that doesn't necessarily mean they'd have a controlling stake.

Inglorious Coyote on
  • Options
    MaratanosMaratanos Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Maybe.

Maybe not, though.

We're basically in the same position with games publishing that we are with telecommunications since SBC and AT&T merged.

Maratanos on
  • Options
    gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Zek wrote: »
    That's a good link, and for the lazy, some key points:
    Q: What will change with regard to the day-to-day operations at Blizzard?
    A: There will be no changes in the way Blizzard operates. All of the people, processes, and philosophies that have made Blizzard so successful will be preserved. Blizzard will benefit from all-star sales and distribution teams to service our products. In addition, the combined company will be stronger financially, managerially, and operationally.

Q: How will this impact Blizzard’s games?
    A: This will not impact Blizzard’s games. We remain committed to providing the same high-quality game content and support that we always have. Development on Wrath of the Lich King and StarCraft II, as well as on our unannounced games, is continuing as normal.

Q: Will there be any visible differences in Blizzard’s logo or packaging/marketing materials as a result of this deal?
    A: No, there won’t be any changes to our company name, logo, packaging/marketing materials, or anything else along those lines.

Q: Will there be any management changes at Blizzard as a result of this deal?
    A: No, there won’t be any management changes at Blizzard as a result of the combination.

Q: Will Activision and Blizzard now share development teams?
    A: No, both of our companies will continue to operate as they have previously with regard to game development.

Q: Will the release schedules for any Blizzard games be impacted?
    A: No, the transaction will not have any impact on our games, our day-to-day operations, or our release timelines.

gilrain on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Except I don't give a shit about telecommunications, and I grew up worshipping Blizzard. They've never done me wrong.

TheBog on
  • Options
    roflgoblinroflgoblin Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    bruin wrote: »
    Wait uh, this isn't just Blizzard merging with Activision, it's all of Vivendi.

http://www.businesswire.com/portal/site/google/index.jsp?ndmViewId=news_view&newsId=20071202005054&newsLang=en
    SANTA MONICA, Calif. & PARIS--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Activision, Inc. (NASDAQ: ATVI) and Vivendi (Euronext Paris: VIV) today announced that they have signed a definitive agreement to combine Vivendi Games, Vivendi's interactive entertainment business -- which includes Blizzard Entertainment’s® World of Warcraft®, the world’s #1 multi-player online role-playing game franchise -- with Activision, creating the world’s largest pure-play online and console game publisher. The new company, Activision Blizzard, is expected to have approximately $3.8 billion in pro forma combined calendar 2007 revenues and the highest operating margins of any major third-party video game publisher. On closing of the transaction, Activision will be renamed Activision Blizzard and will continue to operate as a public company traded on NASDAQ under the ticker ATVI.

Vivendi Games, not Vivendi. Vivendi will own a controlling share of the company.
    Do we know Vivendi will get a controlling interest? I just heard it say they would be the largest single shareholder, that doesn't necessarily mean they'd have a controlling stake.

True. One would assume you'd want to keep your largest share holder satisfied though...

roflgoblin on
    "There's no such thing as real life, just AFK."
  • Options
    Captain CrunchCaptain Crunch Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Now in StarCraft II, in game ads!
    Yes, now when you're destroying Zerg forces you, yes you, can see wonderful ads for Pontiac and Axe!

Captain Crunch on
  • Options
    SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I honestly think everyone is over reacting to this.

SirUltimos on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    How does that change anything, Zek? I read that post a while ago. I don't doubt that Blizzard will keep making good games and stuff, it's just that this deal opens them up to the console world.. and that means less attention paid to the PC crowd, and that does not sit well with me at all.

TheBog on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Essactly. Its just blizzards current corporate overlord combining with a larger corporate overlord.

DodgeBlan on

• Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    Essactly. Its just blizzards current corporate overlord combining with a larger corporate overlord.

Instead of Spawning more?

LewieP on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    TheBog wrote: »

Wasn't Starcraft Ghost supposed to be console-exclusive?

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Why would you think that Activision is any more likely to pressure Blizz in a specific direction than Vivendi is?

DodgeBlan on

• Options
    edited December 2007
    Daedalus wrote: »

Yes. And the shit DID hit the fan. And they canceled it.

TheBog on
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    How does that change anything, Zek? I read that post a while ago. I don't doubt that Blizzard will keep making good games and stuff, it's just that this deal opens them up to the console world.. and that means less attention paid to the PC crowd, and that does not sit well with me at all.

A blizzard game made both for PC and consoles... thats not a pleasant thought.

Vic on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Daedalus wrote: »

Yes. And the shit DID hit the fan. And they canceled it.

They canceled it because the game was taking too long to develop, not out of some retarded "hey, our WoW fanbase won't like the fact that we're making a game you can't play on the PC" sentiment that gets thrown around on message boards.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    WienkeWienke Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Wow 7 pages and no one has said what I'm about to say.

Ahem.

I for one, welcome our new Actiblizzion..er...Blizzavision...wait...Activision Blizzard Overlords.

Maybe EA will change their ways a little bit now that they're not the Overlords.

Wienke on
    PSN: TheWienke
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    What's the big deal.

Read the link Zek linked to 100 times, this merger changes absolutely nothing as far as Blizzard are concerned.

Rami on
    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
  • Options
    SulSeekerSulSeeker Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    EA vs AB Video game publisher deathmatch!!!

SulSeeker on