As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Ye Olde Games: The Recommending

2»

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm playing through Myth 2 right now - it ain't bad! By far the bloodiest RTS game I've ever seen, surpassing even Dawn of War.

emnmnme on
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The only resource management in X-Com is Elerium, and when you're running low, just start shooting down UFOs. You'll get more that way.

Oh, and of course money, but once you can start mass-producing Laser Rifles, money is not an issue.

"The USA just pulled out of the X-Com project. But I'm making a billion every 5 days. I really don't give a shit about you and your money, USA."

MechMantis on
  • wallabeeXwallabeeX Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Marty81 wrote: »
    Master of Magic!! It's like Civilization but with orcs and wizards and shit. It rules.

I, too, endorse Master of Magic.

Obviously.

I played the shit out of this game when I was 12. It's fucking incredible, IF you can get it to run properly. I did manage to get it going a year or two back but it was a little less than optimal.

I still have the original manuals somewhere with the list of spells. :)

wallabeeX on
  • rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    All the colors, It's like I'm playing a MUD!

rayofash on
  • .la1n.la1n Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    emnmnme wrote: »
    I'm playing through Myth 2 right now - it ain't bad! By far the bloodiest RTS game I've ever seen, surpassing even Dawn of War.

YES...this and the original are still worth playing through - the story was great. Takes me back to the days when Bungie knew how to create characters / stories.
    ba dum tish

.la1n on
  • Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Kotenk wrote: »
    Freelancer is also pretty good... And pretty easy to obtain. Great game, and was worth every penny.

Yes, yes, a thousand times yes!

...except that as soon as the story's finished there's no point in playing anymore.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • Tim JamesTim James Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    rayofash wrote: »
    All the colors, It's like I'm playing a MUD!

Command & Conquer: Red Alert
    C&C: Red Alert: Counterstrike
    C&C: Red Alert: The Aftermath

Commandos: Behind Enemy Lines
    Day of the Tentacle
    Diablo
    Diablo II
    Diablo II: Lord of Destruction
    Doom II
    Masonite backstabs you for 78 damage!
    You fall to the ground!

Dreamfall
    The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind
    TES III: Tribunal
    TES III: Bloodmoon
    F.E.A.R.

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    MechMantis wrote: »
    The only resource management in X-Com is Elerium, and when you're running low, just start shooting down UFOs. You'll get more that way.

Oh, and of course money, but once you can start mass-producing Laser Rifles, money is not an issue.

"The USA just pulled out of the X-Com project. But I'm making a billion every 5 days. I really don't give a shit about you and your money, USA."

Look.

I'm only going to say this once more(per thread involving X-COM)

LASER CANNONS are the most profitable items to produce.

Khavall on
  • gneGnegneGne Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    No One Lives Forever!
    Freedom Fighters
    Prince of Persia: SoT
    Max Payne...

Diablo II is also a close personal favorite of mine. Don't know if the singleplayer is still anything exciting anymore though...

gneGne on
    pasigcopyox6.jpg
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Khavall wrote: »
    MechMantis wrote: »

Look.

I'm only going to say this once more(per thread involving X-COM)

LASER CANNONS are the most profitable items to produce.

Indeed. But I am rather lazy about getting that far.

I focus my efforts on getting Plasma Beams.

EDIT: Once I get Plasma Beams made for my ships, I research Heavy Lasers and then Laser Cannons.

MechMantis on
  • GoodOmensGoodOmens Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Master of Magic!! It's like Civilization but with orcs and wizards and shit. It rules.

If you can convince it to run on a modern computer (DOXBox works, if you don't hate it) MOM rox big sox. Seriously, get it. As addictive as Civ, but with cooler races and magic and all that jazz.

GoodOmens on
    steam_sig.png
    IOS Game Center ID: Isotope-X
  • AtomicBananaAtomicBanana Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    No love for Quake 3 eh? The pinnacle of the straight death match/1 on 1 fps games in my humble opinion.

These days everyone wants a million weapons and 64 thousand people per side. The razor sharp balance and adrenaline rush just isn't the same ...

I do enjoy TF2, Quake wars, the BF series etc, but Quake 3 will always be my true love. Never in my eyes will a game get something so right again.

infact, hold that thought I'm going to go and play it right now :D

AtomicBanana on
    isonline.AtomicBanana.gif Atomique+Banana.gif
  • Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Psychonauts.

Give Tim Schafer your money.

It's also on GameTap, and it's fantastic.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm asking this not as a flame or an attempt at trolling but an honest to goodness question.

Every day several threads are locked because they're "poll threads" and the mods who lock them typically state such or at the very least make reference to the OP being painfully bad at following/reading rules.

So why is it that threads like this, which are identical to poll threads (except for the very minute difference of the OP asking for "recommendations" instead of asking what your favorite games are [which is the same damn thing]) are typically allowed to go on?

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm asking this not as a flame or an attempt at trolling but an honest to goodness question.

Every day several threads are locked because they're "poll threads" and the mods who lock them typically state such or at the very least make reference to the OP being painfully bad at following/reading rules.

So why is it that threads like this, which are identical to poll threads (except for the very minute difference of the OP asking for "recommendations" instead of asking what your favorite games are [which is the same damn thing]) are typically allowed to go on?

Well, it's the Holiday shopping season and consumerism has 'consumed' the mods' minds. With a thread full of encouragement and potential purchases, could the economy survive if they lock it? If you don't buy Max Payne for $3, OP, that's $3 the gaming industry doesn't have, making them that much closer to going bankrupt.

emnmnme on
  • MasoniteMasonite Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    No love for Quake 3 eh? The pinnacle of the straight death match/1 on 1 fps games in my humble opinion.

These days everyone wants a million weapons and 64 thousand people per side. The razor sharp balance and adrenaline rush just isn't the same ...

I do enjoy TF2, Quake wars, the BF series etc, but Quake 3 will always be my true love. Never in my eyes will a game get something so right again.

infact, hold that thought I'm going to go and play it right now :D

I never saw the multiplayer end of the game. Considering the game was, more or less, made to be played with other people, playing it alone really doesn't give you that great of an experience.
    Fig-D wrote: »
    Psychonauts.

You don't need to convince me, I already own it.

Anyway, more games:
    • Wasteland :: Considering I enjoyed both Fallouts, is it a given I'd enjoy this?
    • Heretic II and Hexen II :: Anything like the two originals?
    • The Zork series :: I've only ever played Return to Zork, but alas, I lost the CD. How is the rest of the series?
    • The 7th Guest and The 11th Hour, I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream, Sanitarium :: All sound pretty interesting, and I can't say that I've played any of them. Opinions?
    • The Legend of Kyrandia trilogy :: I'm fairly certain all three are supported with ScummVM, or, at the very least, the first game is. Might as well try it out, right?
    • The Neverhood :: I've heard this is pretty fun, thoughts?
    There were a few other graphical adventures games I remember playing, but I honestly can't remember which ones. I'll try Google and see what I can come up with.

edit: Ah, here's one -- Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars. I know I've played the demo of this. Seemed pretty wacky. I mean, a clown terrorist (there was that one Bill Murray film..)? How does the rest of the game hold up?

Masonite on
  • JAEFJAEF Unstoppably Bald Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Masonite wrote: »
    The Neverhood :: I've heard this is pretty fun, thoughts?
    If you don't play it, I will find you and choke you with my bare hands.

It is the only adventure game I have bothered to complete. Well.. that and Day of the Tentacle.

JAEF on
    edited December 2007
    Masonite wrote: »
    Fig-D wrote: »
    Psychonauts.

You don't need to convince me, I already own it.

Oh, wow. I should look at people's avatars.

Anywho, about adventure games, ever tried a game called Bad Mojo? I remember absolutely loving the game when it was released and if you haven't heard of it then you should really check it out.

EDIT: Did I just pass up a chance to recommend Discworld!?

Discworld.

Fig-D on
  • Ghandi 2Ghandi 2 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

But there is a difference. Your recommendations aren't all of your favorite games: it's games that you think other people should play that they probably haven't heard of/didn't think of. Favorite games is going to be the same thing over and over again, especially if it's for this year or something.
    Recommendations are actually useful.

Ghandi 2 on
  • Dr SnofeldDr Snofeld Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    As I understand it Heretic 2 is not much like the original. Hexen 2 is, however.

You'll be hard-pressed to get The 7th Guest to run. It goes like a slug in DOSbox, and the OpenGL port the developers made has a tendancy to crash to desktop at the worst moments. Still a good game, though.

Dr Snofeld on
    l4d_sig.png
  • NeakyNeaky Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Phantasmagoria.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXE1C_q-jw8&feature=related

Haha.

EDIT: Fuck I just bumped a year old topic. I was reading another thread and this topic was linked in it. Sorry.

I lost track of where I was it seems.

Neaky on
    Violynt.png
    edited September 2008
    Neaky wrote: »
    Phantasmagoria.

Haha.

EDIT: Fuck I just bumped a year old topic. I was reading another thread and this topic was linked in it. Sorry.

I lost track of where I was it seems.

No worries. It allows me to bring up a very important issue that I discussed last year.

Everyone should play Discworld. It is fantastic damn it.

Fig-D on
  • JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    You've got some adventure games there, but theres a lot of classic ones you haven't played.

Quest for Glory, 1-4 (maybe 5 once you're done)
    Gabriel Knight 1 (2 and 3 are a bit forgettable)
    Sam And Max (The original and the new episodic adventures from Telltale are both excellent)

JohnDoe on
  • Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Currently on my handy little USB powered external hard disk for my EeePC, I've got System Shock 2 (goddamnit I absolutely love this game to pieces), Deus Ex, Diablo, Diablo II, The Longest Journey, Age of Wonders Shadow Magic, Disciples II, Blood Omen: The Legacy of Kain, DEFCON, Unreal Tournament, Quake, Heroes of Might and Magic 2 and 3, and Hearts of Iron 2.

That's all I felt like messing with to get running, but rest assured there are more. I'm in the process of organizing my binders of games, which is a colossal task in and of itself. There are some real gems in there.

Mustachio Jones on
  • VistiVisti Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Monkey Islands, Day of The Tentacle.

Seriously man, anything Lucasarts from back in the day.

Also Discworld.

ALSO the new Sam&Max. And the old. Keeping in thread with above statement.

Also seconding the NOLF recommendation! Excellent stuff!

Visti on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • CindersCinders Whose sails were black when it was windy Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Star Control 2. One of the best games ever made. Great plot, great gameplay, great sound effects. It's also free nowadays thanks to a fan remake.

Cinders on
  • PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Evangir wrote: »
    Freespace 2. Seriously, look it up. Best space-sim ever made. One of the best games ever made. Wiki it!

Video evidence of awesome!

I was wondering how an "olde game" still looks so goddamn fuckawesome, then I found this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FreeSpace_2_Source_Code_Project

Does this still work multiplayer, and if so, why is it not being played right now?

Edit: What the fuck? People are saying Volition made this perfectly legal to download? It's like Christmas in September. Someone tell me this runs in widescreen and has surround sound, please.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • washoutwashout Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    Star Control 2 is the best game ever made and it's totally free.

Ur-Quan Masters:

http://sc2.sourceforge.net/

X-com is probably the second best. No other games really hold a candle to those two. Maybe Dues X but I didn't get into that game for some reason.

The original gold box Pool of Radiance was pretty awesome. But I think that would be pretty tough to play these days. It has many cool moments that have never been recreated in another D&D game.

Ultima 7 is amazing and a real ground breaking game that lead to a bunch of innovations in computer gaming. But I wouldn't exactly call it good. It's probably pretty hard to complete without spoilers, unless you had beat a bunch of the previous games already.

washout on
  • DusT_HounDDusT_HounD Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    @Mustachio:

Hail, fellow triplE user! How well are the games running? i only got mine recently (901XP), so haven't had a chance to check out the gaming capabilities.

DusT_HounD on
  • PeregrineFalconPeregrineFalcon Registered User regular
    edited September 2008
    [strike]So a bump here, because you can download all of FreeSpace 2 Open (FS2_Open) by clicking here if you have Java installed:

http://www.google.com/

We need to get a [Fly On] for this.[/strike]

So apparently I'm supposed to get kicked in the nuts for posting about that without mod approval. Editing to be safe.

PeregrineFalcon on
    Looking for a DX:HR OnLive code for my kid brother.
    Can trade TF2 items or whatever else you're interested in. PM me.
  • Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited September 2008
    DusT_HounD wrote: »
    @Mustachio:

Hail, fellow triplE user! How well are the games running? i only got mine recently (901XP), so haven't had a chance to check out the gaming capabilities.

Astray + is a must if you're planning on running anything that doesn't natively support widescreen, but since you've got an 901, you can run in 640x480 and 800x600, so you're pretty much golden.

In terms of gaming capability, it plays games surprisingly well, considering. I play regular matches of UT99 between classes with settings on high. You'll only really run into problems getting games running that should run due to either odd aspect ratio, or it just in general doesn't like XP, as is the case with System Shock 2, but by God I got it running. Other than that, you pretty much need a mouse and the keyboard doesn't suck to play with unless you're punching all sorts of keys.

Silent Storm isn't necessarily old, but it runs on older machines and plays like a fucking champ.

Mustachio Jones on