As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Living on my own for the first time.

PrecursorPrecursor Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey everybody,

So I just graduated from university and I was offered a job in Calgary. This is going to be my first time moving out and living on my own.

What are some things that I should know? I'm going to be moving in with a friend and 2 other people that I don't know. How do I keep my valuables safe?

What are some things that I should bring? I'm definitely bringing a laptop and clothes, but what are some things that I shouldn't forget.

The company is going to put me up for a month, but after that I'll be moving in with a friend who's already setup there so I won't need furniture, kitchen stuff, tv just yet.

This is a big step for me and I just wanted to be prepared. Thanks.

Quashdom.png
Precursor on

• Options
    AftyAfty Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Precursor wrote: »
    Hey everybody,

Hi !
    So I just graduated from university and I was offered a job in Calgary. This is going to be my first time moving out and living on my own.

Congratulations
    What are some things that I should know? I'm going to be moving in with a friend and 2 other people that I don't know. How do I keep my valuables safe?

Are the other 2 people friends of your friend ? If so i would consider just getting a small cabinet or safe that you can lock your really valuable things away in when you need to. Otherwise a lock on your door is a good option and you can buy those laptop locks aswell (basically a chain with a lock that ties your laptop to your desk) A girl on my floor at university had one of these and it actually saved her her laptop when someone tried to steal it.

Afty on
  • Options
    CoJoeTheLawyerCoJoeTheLawyer Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    If you've never been to Calgary before, go a few days earlier and explore the city and the surrounding area. Get to know where you can find the basics (gas stations, grocery stores, restaurants, attractions, etc.) as well as to familiarize yourself with the roads & traffic patterns.

Living with people you don't really know and have no connection to can be daunting at first, but survivable. Try not to start any brawls the first few days you are all living together, and be extra-polite to everyone and anyone. Follow everyone else's example at first (even if you don't agree with it) in terms of bathroom use, food labeling/sharing, chores, tv/computer/music use, guests, etc. And be sociable: don't wall yourself off from your new roommates, even if you don't necessarily like them. You are going to have to share a living space with these people for at least 30 days, and it's best not to have to do so with a knife under your pillow.

A laptop lock is a wise investment, as is a small safe/lockbox that can be concealed in the room. I always used a fake book safe like THIS. Just don't tell your roommates about it.

Besides clothes, bring with you bathroom essentials, a small supply of your favorite food, some personal cleaning supplies and anything else you think you'll have to have to survive that's not readily purchasable.

CoJoeTheLawyer on

CoJoe.png
  • Options
    Sharp10rSharp10r Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Password protect your computer, make sure that you find our their expectations of cleanliness.

Sharp10r on
  • Options
    BlochWaveBlochWave Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Well hell, if your friend is already set up, that's about 90 percent of the difficulty. I moved out and went shopping about 845039476 different times in the first two weeks as I realized I needed crap(the first time you have to clean your butt in the bathtub after pooing because you forgot about toilet paper is always a laugh)

The things that will be tricky for you will be things your parents have always taken care of like insurance(err...Canada so...no need to worry about health insurance? Or how's that work? Dental? Vision? I dunno)but that's usually straightforward. Here at least you can drop like 100 bucks a YEAR on renter's insurance, make sure you figure out what benefits your job offers and how to use them, and don't forget to pay bills. I would recommend not setting up direct deposits unless you just have an idiot memory, since the day may come where you're tight on cash and you need to wait just one day for a check to clear before paying something, but your automatic payment goes and overdrafts you

BlochWave on
  • Options
    vonPoonBurGervonPoonBurGer Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    BlochWave wrote: »
    The things that will be tricky for you will be things your parents have always taken care of like insurance(err...Canada so...no need to worry about health insurance? Or how's that work? Dental? Vision? I dunno)but that's usually straightforward.
    The OP will need to trade in his Ontario health card for an Alberta health card 3 months after he gets to Alberta. Details here. If you wait to apply, you'll need to pay out of pocket for any medical expenses, though you'd be eligible for reimbursement once they determine what your first date of coverage would have been. Be forewarned, there are premiums ($44 a month), though it's likely your employer will pick that up if your job has benefits. There's a lot of stuff that isn't covered, but would be covered by your employer if you've got benefits.

vonPoonBurGer on
    Xbox Live:vonPoon | PSN: vonPoon | Steam: vonPoonBurGer