As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

T-shirt Critique

gaerisgaeris Registered User new member
edited December 2007 in Artist's Corner
Hey everyone, I'm a senior Illustration major at the Art Institute of Boston and I'm working on a self-authorship project in one of my classes.
Specifically, I chose to turn some of my illustrations into t-shirts for this project. Part of this project requires doing surveys and getting input on my project. Right now I'm talking with various vendors in the Boston area about getting these made and out in stores, but meanwhile I'd appreciate any input you could provide on what you like about any of these, what could be better, what doesn't work, ect. These are just mock-shirts with illustrations thrown into a quick t-shirt template, so if you think a certain image would look better on a certain shirt color, without a background, or a completely different color scheme, let me know.
Below is a short survey I came up with, you can answer any or all of the questions, or just give input.
Thanks in advance.

1) what age group do you think these appeal to?
2) would you buy any of these shirts?
3) how much would you be willing to pay?
4) do you have a preference for fabric and/or t-shirt styles?
5) what kind of store do you think would carry these shirts?
6) would you be interested in more shirt designs?
7) how do you think they could be better?
8) which is your favorite?
9) is there a particular animal you would like to see on one of these shirts?

phanttshirt.jpg

aibt.jpg

monstershirt2.jpg

shoesshirt.jpg

phantshirt2.jpg

treeshirt.jpg

gaeris on

• MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    HTML won't work here. On the post box, click the little icon that looks like a mountain with a yellow BG, and put the URL in.

MKR on
  • GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited December 2007
    image url

Grifter on
  • archonwarparchonwarp Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I like 4, and I really like 6 (I would buy it). I think the 'dots' on 1 and 5 are way too 'loud' looking with anything other than patterns. I don't really care for the figure in 2, and I think the 'lines on the breasts' kind of clash in 3. These are the type of things that scene kids would probably wear, similar to the kind of things that are posted on threadless [16 to 35 year olds]. I don't know what else to say other than try not to make things that are too 'loud' that don't blend.

archonwarp on
    873342-1.png
  • NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    do one with a turtle in that style and i would buy!

NakedZergling on
  • amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    1) what age group do you think these appeal to?
    20 somethings in college, possibly the weekender in his early 30's

2) would you buy any of these shirts?
    No (nothing personal, I love the artwork, just not my style of tee shirt)

3) how much would you be willing to pay?
    I wouldn't ever pay more than $20 for a tee shirt

4) do you have a preference for fabric and/or t-shirt styles?
    100% cotton, pre shrunk

5) what kind of store do you think would carry these shirts?
    Online specialty shops, possibly a small scale clothing boutique

6) would you be interested in more shirt designs?
    Words..... some words, or things happening, instead of just abstract art (which once again, is really good art btw)

7) how do you think they could be better?
    See six

8) which is your favorite?
    The monkey, but I hate the shirt color.

9) is there a particular animal you would like to see on one of these shirts?
    Platypus

Edit: Platypus cowboy, or maybe a platypus astronaut

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • MykonosMykonos Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I think if you added like a mouse or something on the first one to scare the elephant into hopping on the piece of fruit would be cool in my eyes. Then again this is a shirt and not a canvas so maby that empty space u have there may be a good thing. not bad though on the others.

Mykonos on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "I was born; six gun in my hand; behind the gun; I make my final stand"~Bad Company
  • MossMoss Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I don't think any of these (except maybe the monkey) work as T-Shirt graphics. I think you gave it away in your opener:
    I chose to turn some of my illustrations into t-shirts

You should try to design specifically for tees, since it's a totally different aesthetic. Also, you should probably do some market research before you create your designs.

Moss on
  • MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Moss wrote: »
    Also, you should probably do some market research before you create your designs.

This is the first step towards anything! Hell, I do market research before I go to the bathroom.

EDIT:
    I just remembered, October's edition of Computer Arts had an article on selling t-shirts over the web. Very interesting read.

MagicToaster on
  • beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    moss is like the king of selling tee-shirts since he pretty much has (had?) threadless.com under his thumb... and with good reason.

so if i were you, i'd go ahead and listen to moss.

beavotron on
  • MossMoss Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Moss wrote: »
    Also, you should probably do some market research before you create your designs.

This is the first step towards anything! Hell, I do market research before I go to the bathroom.

EDIT:
    I just remembered, October's edition of Computer Arts had an article on selling t-shirts over the web. Very interesting read.

I actually did an interview for Computer Arts Projects about tee-design a couple of weeks ago, so that should be out soon.

Moss on
  • padmeamandapadmeamanda Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I think the monkey is the best, though the car-in-tree graphic could work, it's kinda interesting.

I wouldn't buy any of the shirts though, the themes don't really make sense to me. When you design for shirts, you really do have to think about your market - people wear things that say something about them. I don't think a car in a tree or a monkey with shoes really says much... unless you like monkeys a lot.

padmeamanda on
  • GihgehlsGihgehls Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    The monkey with the shoes and the car in the tree are AWESOME. I'm not fond of the other ones.

Gihgehls on
    PA-gihgehls-sig.jpg
  • sonictksonictk Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Car gets the thumbs up, but the rest don't really feel like T-shirt designs...especially the ones with the dots/lines.

sonictk on
  • r-jasperr-jasper Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    3 looks like you've just slapped an image on a tee. the cropped look it has to it doesn't work.

that being said, i really really like your last design.

r-jasper on