As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Burnout Paradise

1232425262729»

• Options
    wakeboarderbluntwakeboarderblunt Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Im very impressed, I really liked this game for what it was, and now with Criterion adding more gameplay modes and vehicles to the mix, it will feel like a brand new game again.

wakeboarderblunt on
    stripessig.jpg
    WBblunt.gif
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Willeth wrote: »
    TeeMan wrote: »
    How will bikes get takedowns?

They might not. In their podcast they said 'This is not Burnout on bikes, this is bikes in Paradise City. You're not going to be kicing people off bikes or anything.'

Ah ok, I might have to listen to that podcast when I get home. Any mention of Ariel Takedowns in the planes? :D

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Grizzly_AddamsGrizzly_Addams Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    This game sucks fucking balls. Open world system totally destroys what was once my favorite racing franchise period.

Having to repair before you enter an event, then driving to the event w/o crashing so you can last longer?

One wrong turn in a race with the garbage nav system and you're pretty much fucked?

Glancing off any wall or car causes you to wreck, and in most cases starts you off turned around in the wrong direction or street?

Stunt events that have you traveling down roads with no ramps or other ways to actually get multipliers?

One of the most fast paced hectic racers ever that requires you to keep your eyes on the road to avoid crashing at all times, yet its a good idea to give you street signs at the top of the screen and a map at the bottom that you have to watch?

Having to drive all the way back to, and find an event if you want to retry it if you fail?

Every single one of the problems I have with this game stems from the open world system which completely and utterly destroys an otherwise great game with great graphics, sense of speed, and controls. At least when they fucked up NFS they made it so I could still choose to jump to an event from the map. Burnout Paradise absolutely ridicules what I feel Burnout is supposed to be, which is fast-paced arcade action racing with no bullshit.

Unfortunately that's all Paradise brings to the table is bullshit.

Grizzly_Addams on
    Dr+Bongenstein.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Its pretty fun to just drive and not give a crap about the actual game, and when you do its dead-easy to find a race. I like that part. Searching for billboards, gates and superjumps is what I do about 80% of the time.

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I wouldn't say it sucks outright. The open world system works extremely well in Marked Man events, those are fantastic as well as the cars you need to shutdown throughout the city. Races not so much. Where it really fails for me was when I realised about halfway the way to getting class A license is that the events feel kind of hollow, I don't get the instant urge of completionism because it keeps resetting everything and there's no push to get better times and gold medals or to really go back and perfect events. Plus there's no real decent nav system or thing to keep track of all the races so you just end up tooling about and entering races at random.

It just falls flat for me. Which is a shame, because apart from that (and how I seem to have a hard time seeing shit coming which causes me to crash way more than in previous burnouts) it's a really great game. Just that the urge to play is ruined by some of the design decisions.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    LegbaLegba He did. Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Man, the open world is exactly what I like about Burnout Paradise. Discovering new routes, entire new areas, driving my balls off at high speeds, then doing some mad trick and discovering some hereto unknown, yet somehow massive area... When I accidentaly discovered Showtime, it was like the icing on a delicious, delicious cake. So awesome.

Funny thing is, normally I hate driving games. I haven't played any of the previous Burnouts except for a few minutes at a time while visiting a friend who loves them. They just don't appeal to me. Putting it in an open world took away all that boredom and replaced it with insatiable lust.

Legba on
  • Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I think I'm going to buy this now that they've announced bikes are going to be added. When's the update for that coming out?

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Plus there's no real decent nav system or thing to keep track of all the races so you just end up tooling about and entering races at random.

There is. Go to the map.
    Zilla360 wrote:
    I think I'm going to buy this now that they've announced bikes are going to be added. When's the update for that coming out?
    Bogart - Live now
    Cagney (more online features) - in 35 days. First of June I think.
    Davis (bikes) - August

EskimoDave on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    EskimoDave wrote: »
    Plus there's no real decent nav system or thing to keep track of all the races so you just end up tooling about and entering races at random.

There is. Go to the map.

Or look at the giant checkmark next to every race you've done on the minimap or on the HUD.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Or, you know..... open your eyes.
    Seriously, everyone is entitled to their opinions but no-one should say it like its the bottom line.

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Don't get me wrong, I've been forcing myself to play the game b/c the racing itself is so fantastic. I've got my C License and a couple more wins on top of that. But like I said, I didn't like the open world thing when they added it to NFS, and I don't like it here. It must just be my personal style but I would really rather just go straight from event to event. I thought the progression system w/ the stars in Revenge was great. I could get a gold in a race but still not get a perfect giving more reason to go back. In Paradise, the only reason to go back to a race is b/c once you class up, they reset them all.

I rented it anyway. Due back today. And I really really really want to find a good reason to buy it. The races thrill me, but whenever I'm driving around the map for no reason I just scour.

Grizzly_Addams on
    Dr+Bongenstein.png
  • Options
    Big ClassyBig Classy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Much better :)

Big Classy on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

There is. Go to the map.
    Zilla360 wrote:
    Bogart - Live now
    Cagney (more online features) - in 35 days. First of June I think.
    Davis (bikes) - August

Whats included in 'Bogart'? I don't think I've seen it on the PSN Store

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So how is the multiplayer on this? What kind of modes are available? I've yet to find an open city driving game with multiplayer that compares to how obscenely awesome Midtown Madness 3 was, and it doesn't look like Microsoft is going be doing an MM4 anytime soon, especially since 3 was made by DICE who is owned by EA now right? So if they did they would probably do a different developer again and I thought DICE outdid Angel Studios(Developers of MM1 and 2, Now known as Rockstar San Diego) at their own series. It even came out at the same time as Midnight Club 2 and kicked the shit out of it in multiplayer.

What kind of new online features are they adding in this 'Cagney' update in June?

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008

There is. Go to the map.
    That would be great if you could go to a race on the minimap and select it to bring up an arrow or hud element to guide you there. As it is I'm stuck going back to the map constantly. It doesn't help that the checkmarks next to completed races on the map are stupidly small making them hard to even see on an SDTV.

Being able to jump to any race you've found already would have solved so many problems with this game.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

There is. Go to the map.
    That would be great if you could go to a race on the minimap and select it to bring up an arrow or hud element to guide you there. As it is I'm stuck going back to the map constantly. It doesn't help that the checkmarks next to completed races on the map are stupidly small making them hard to even see on an SDTV.

Being able to jump to any race you've found already would have solved so many problems with this game.

I remember that filtering the paused map would also filter the mini-map, making it easy to find/drive to events you're looking for. Am I wrong here?
    This game sucks fucking balls. Open world system totally destroys what was once my favorite racing franchise period.

Having to repair before you enter an event, then driving to the event w/o crashing so you can last longer?
    When you start a race the damage is repaired up to cosmetic, it barely makes a difference if you repair or not.
    One wrong turn in a race with the garbage nav system and you're pretty much fucked?
    You learn the town and routes pretty easily. Pretty much the same fucked you get if you run into a wall on an on-rails racing game.
    Glancing off any wall or car causes you to wreck, and in most cases starts you off turned around in the wrong direction or street?
    go 100mph and hit glance something and see if you don't wreck. and no, in most cases it starts you off in the same direction you were going wihen you crashed, several meters forward.
    Stunt events that have you traveling down roads with no ramps or other ways to actually get multipliers?
    nope. all the stune events have good stunts near them. again it's about exploring and knowing the city.
    One of the most fast paced hectic racers ever that requires you to keep your eyes on the road to avoid crashing at all times, yet its a good idea to give you street signs at the top of the screen and a map at the bottom that you have to watch?
    if you play in third person, your taillights also blink left/right when you need to turn if you're so used to looking at the bottom. also, you don't need the map if you're following the nav on the top. that's what the nav's for. you can glance at the mini-map to look ahead, but you really don't need it.
    Having to drive all the way back to, and find an event if you want to retry it if you fail?
    yeah it sucks. think of it as a motivator to win. and to explore. and to do a different event next to you. or if you're a wow addict think of it as running yourself back to your dead body.
    Every single one of the problems I have with this game stems from the open world system which completely and utterly destroys an otherwise great game with great graphics, sense of speed, and controls. At least when they fucked up NFS they made it so I could still choose to jump to an event from the map. Burnout Paradise absolutely ridicules what I feel Burnout is supposed to be, which is fast-paced arcade action racing with no bullshit.

feels like you want to hate this game. and you mentioned you only have a C license. that's barely enough to know the city and its routes. it gets better when you know the city. for me i liked the game and after knowing hte city it got better. for you you hated the game at first, and if you weren't renting and had time to learn the city, you might then sort of like the game? moot point since you're returning the rental already.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008

When you start a race the damage is repaired up to cosmetic, it barely makes a difference if you repair or not.

That's funny, because I swear to god DJ Atomica said you had better chances of winning a Road Rage or Marked Man event if you repaired first. I really don't think I'm wrong here.
    You learn the town and routes pretty easily. Pretty much the same fucked you get if you run into a wall on an on-rails racing game.

I've now gotten my Burnout License, and am 25 events towards the Elite. I still don't know the town for dickety shit save for a few major intersections.
    go 100mph and hit glance something and see if you don't wreck. and no, in most cases it starts you off in the same direction you were going wihen you crashed, several meters forward.

Yeah, which is why I play video games. I don't know if you've every played the previous Burnouts, but you could save your car on walls and other vehicles without much thought at all. That's what I'm comparing to here.
    nope. all the stune events have good stunts near them. again it's about exploring and knowing the city.

I've now gotten my Burnout License, and am 25 events towards the Elite. I still don't know the town for dickety shit save for a few major intersections.
    if you play in third person, your taillights also blink left/right when you need to turn if you're so used to looking at the bottom. also, you don't need the map if you're following the nav on the top. that's what the nav's for. you can glance at the mini-map to look ahead, but you really don't need it.

When you're going 200+ MPH and the turn signal starts blinking a split second before you make the turn, no amount of nav system or e-brake will save you from either wrecking or missing the turn.

feels like you want to hate this game. and you mentioned you only have a C license. that's barely enough to know the city and its routes. it gets better when you know the city. for me i liked the game and after knowing hte city it got better. for you you hated the game at first, and if you weren't renting and had time to learn the city, you might then sort of like the game? moot point since you're returning the rental already.

Grizzly_Addams on
    Dr+Bongenstein.png
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Jeez, no wonder you don't like the game. You've been grinding the same events over and over? Man, that's lame. You should be out and exploring, finding new routes and events, not treating it like an on-rails racer and do the same laps over and over again.

Pro tip: You see a yellow gate, you ram it.

Legba on
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Legba wrote: »

Jeez, no wonder you don't like the game. You've been grinding the same events over and over? Man, that's lame. You should be out and exploring, finding new routes and events, not treating it like an on-rails racer and do the same laps over and over again.

What are you talking about? What in that statement at all in any way whatsoever even suggests that I did the same events over and over? More like, I drove around the city and picked events at random, and failed alot of them too, which means I ran more events than just the required number to get the next license.

The proper statement here is, when you're driving blazingly fast down a road during an event while paying attention to your car, rival cars, traffic, medians, streets, compass, its not very conducive to memorizing the roads.

I've done alot of driving around the city both in events and freeburn, but honestly, like I said, only the most major intersections and important turns and roads stick in my memory.

Don't assume. It makes an ass out of you.

Edit: I've gotten about 270ish Smashes, 40ish billboards, a dozen or so Super-Jumps.

Grizzly_Addams on
    Dr+Bongenstein.png
  • Options
    edited May 2008
    Legba wrote: »

What are you talking about? What in that statement at all in any way whatsoever even suggests that I did the same events over and over?

Well, I'm only on a class B licence, but I would say that I know a lot more than just a few major intersections. I'm not intimately familiar with the city, and I still miss the odd shortcut, but I'm still pretty comfortable with how the city works and where things are. The only way I could imagine anyone getting as far as you and not knowing the city at all except for a few roads is if they were grinding those roads over and over. Which would be a pretty boring thing to do.

In case you didn't extrapolate the answer to your question from that, it was the (oft repeated) "I don't know the town for dickety shit save for a few major intersections" that suggested it.

It sounds to me as if the problem here is that Burnout Paradise isn't anything like the previous Burnout games. Which is fair enough. I didn't much like that series prior to this game, and you don't like this game. In other words, the game just isn't for you. As long as we understand that the complaints (and praises) we have for the game are subjective rather than absolute, I'm sure we can go on our merry way.

Still... it boggles the mind; if you didn't like it, why did you keep playing it to the point where you got your Burnout licence? Because that's quite a few hours put into a game you're not enjoying.
    Edit: I've gotten about 270ish Smashes, 40ish billboards, a dozen or so Super-Jumps.

For what it's worth (and honestly, this is nothing but showing e-peen), I've got 368 smashes, 87 billboards and 34 jumps. (Also, 114 events and 33 drive throughs found).

Legba on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    So I love Burnout: Revenge, how much will I love this game? I bought it from Gamefly for about $14. Not bad!

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    Well, you already bought it.

You will definitely enjoy it, I'm sure. It's not as structured as Revenge, but spend some time learning the city and enjoying just tooling about doing cool shit and I'm sure you'll like it.

Also, damn you for posting in this thread today. I was just about to make a new one for the new updates (coming July 10th, new modes) with a proper OP and everything :(

Willeth on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Ask a mod to close this one and you make the new topic. :)

(sorry!)

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited June 2008
    I guess. :'(

Willeth on