As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Handheld LCD Thread! Reminisce!

Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
edited December 2007 in Games and Technology
::Edit::

Original started this thread as a "what's this game" thread, but it seems there's some interest in chatting about old LCD Handhelds! Commence!

Ok, I can't remember the title at all but I THINK it may have been a two screen game (or it may not) the basic idea was you had to make your way through a maze to get to a bomb (I think).

All I really remember is that you could push walls forward or backward until they collided with another wall to try and make your way to the bomb.

Every few levels you would have a different stage whereby the walls moved towards you at a fast rate and you had to dodge around them.

Does anyone have ANY idea at all? It's driving me completely mad.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
PSN: SirGrinchX
Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
Mr_Grinch on

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So it's an LCD game and not a portable console one like Gameboy?

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Yeah, an old LCD thing and I'm pretty sure it wasn't anything by Nintendo.

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Can you remember how the buttons were laid out at all, or the color/shape of the casing? For example if it was similar to this
    LCD008.jpg
    then you know it was by Tiger.

Also was it character/movie based, or some random new IP?

This Sonic game I have sounds similar to what you describe.
    LCD005.jpg
    It's not two-screen but it slides up in a nifty way. You have to get through a maze to get chaos emeralds, and sometimes the walls move around. Although you don't really push the walls at all from what I remember.

EDIT: Whatever the game was, it is probably in here, somewhere.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Nope neither of them, this must have been back when I was under 10, so at least 15 years ago! I'm searching through some old style handhelds now so I'll updateif I can remember what it was like (Not like the above two though).

Also, splatterhouse was a handheld, who knew? http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Namco/Splatterhouse.htm

::Edit:: It was released in the UK too, that should limit it down.

I'm -pretty- sure it was a folding game and the screen folded down in the middle, like a DS.

---GOT IT---

http://www.handheldmuseum.com/Systema/BankRaid.htm

Thank God for that! I remember it fully now, as soon as I saw the name I recognised it. Fantastic game, now to hunt it down!

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I had that Alladin.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    We need another handheld LCD thread. I still have all the pictures from my old one.

LCD006.jpg

LCD003.jpg

LCD001.jpg

LCD012.jpg

Good times.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Do you know of good places to get them? I'd really like Bank Raid back again, I probably have it back in my home town but it'd be impossible to hunt down in the attic.

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    Do you know of good places to get them? I'd really like Bank Raid back again, I probably have it back in my home town but it'd be impossible to hunt down in the attic.
    Eh, your guess is as good as mine. I'd just go to ebay.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007

LCD012.jpg

Good times.

I'm sure I had one of these. Awesome.
    I also approve of this thread, since I harboured so much lust for these things as a kid. My first one was some ghost-catching game that turned out to be a bit disappointing after a while. I was also so excited to get Afterburner for.. probably my 13th birthday.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Wow, awesome.

I had so many of those Tiger games..
    As well as many other branded ones. Like those stick ones above? I had the shark version of that. I was awesome at it. It was the yellow and blue one and the yellow part you had to flip back and forth like a tail fin to move forward, then the other side you would twist up or down to move up or down, and then a button to eat.

They were so hard sometimes, even compared to the "Nintendo hard" level of gaming.

My parents kept buying me those instead of a gameboy because they were cheaper. Though after about 10 minutes in a long car ride I would be asked to shut the sound off because it was the same 5 notes in a 10 second loop over and over again. :D

Good times though.

Anyone remember the game watches? I had Batman and Robocop. I wanted the Nintendo ones though. Last year I was at a flea market and I saw the original Super Mario watch game and I bought it. :D It was like I was 10 again.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I had a Zelda gamewatch! That thing was awesome.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    darleysam wrote: »

LCD012.jpg

Good times.

I also approve of this thread, since I harboured so much lust for these things as a kid. My first one was some ghost-catching game that turned out to be a bit disappointing after a while. I was also so excited to get Afterburner for.. probably my 13th birthday.

I, too, had one of these. With some Star Wars game.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    My girlfriend bought me a spider-man game and watch thing last year for xmas, it's awesome in it's simplicity.

And EVERYONE must have had one of those racing ones, y'know where there were three lanes and you had to dodge in and out of each one to avoid cars? :)

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Mr_Grinch wrote: »
    My girlfriend bought me a spider-man game and watch thing last year for xmas, it's awesome in it's simplicity.

And EVERYONE must have had one of those racing ones, y'know where there were three lanes and you had to dodge in and out of each one to avoid cars? :)

That's pretty much what Afterburner was, except you fired guns or missiles too! I'm sure I had other ones, might've even had a racing one, but I can't remember now.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    BlueBlueBlueBlue Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I have a couple of those McDonald's Sonic lcd games...I never got one myself, but I think I played the Shadow model where you were riding the rails. I want to say it had only one button - jump.

BlueBlue on
    CD World Tour status:
    Baidol Voprostein Avraham Thetheroo Taya Zerofill Effef Crimson King Lalabox Mortal Sky ASimPerson Sal Wiet Theidar Tynic Speed Racer Neotoma Goatmon ==>Larlar Munkus Beaver Day of the Bear miscellaneousinsanity Skull Man Delzhand Caulk Bite 6 Somestickguy
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I had a basketball game, the Sonic game, and the X-Men game when I was about 13. When I was even younger, I had this old school 80s space shooter game that wasn't even LCD, it was all LED. I recall it being pretty awesome, even if it was pretty cheesy. Finally, the last LCD game I owned (and still own, though it's up in storage) was this badass Tetris ripoff game that I bought when I visited Russia. It had regular tetris, plus a version with ridiculous shapes mixed in, and a mode where the bottom level was constantly moving up on you. I got lots of play off of that one.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

LCD012.jpg

Good times.

I had Panzer Dragoon for this. It was actually really good.

Also, I've got one of these in a drawer somewhere.

Dartboy on
  • Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Dartboy wrote: »

LCD012.jpg

Good times.

!!!

Panzer Dragoon?!

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    GSMGSM Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    LCD008.jpg

I so totally had that. Played it far too many times.

LCD001.jpg

Blockade. YES. So tiny, and had 9 games, even though some were repeats, like racing in two lanes, and racing in three lanes. I did finally buy a further variation on Blockade, that had a whole lot more games. But I really only played it for tetris.

GSM on
    We'll get back there someday.
  • Options
    VelmeranVelmeran Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    god, I remember Tiger games being shit for controls, and usually difficult to the point of rediculousness.

Still wish I had one when I was a kid, only ever got to play with my friend's.

Velmeran on
    Vechloran.png
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited December 2007
    I had a Zelda gamewatch! That thing was awesome.
    I've still got mine! I hate buying those stupid button batteries for it though.

bombardier on
  • Options
    shyguyshyguy Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I logged more hours into that oddly-shaped Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles LCD game than most console games I've owned.

shyguy on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I also have Galaxian, one of those weird pinball based videogame imitations.

It was awesome, because the ships on the right would flip over when you got a ball in the pocket, revealing a small picture of explosions!

Tomy-GalaxianPinball.jpg

Somewhere I have a centipede themed magnet pinball game from Tomy as well...

edit: Hmm... not sure if this is acceptable in the LCD thread?

GSM on
  • Options
    DondumsDondums Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    We need another handheld LCD thread. I still have all the pictures from my old one.

LCD006.jpg

Good times.

Yes... YES YES! This thing was BAD-ASS. It was my first real psp (portable shitting pal). I eventually just started leaving it in the bathroom.

I used to have one .. I think it was Virtua Cop or something? It came with a little light gun. A very little gun. Sigh. I tried to find a pic .. but I failed.

Dondums on
    internet
  • Options
    bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Tiger-StreetFighter2.jpg

I used to play a lot of this. Damn, maybe it's still around somewhere.

bruin on
  • Options
    SaddlerSaddler Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    If I was gonna get one ever, it would be this one:

d770_1.JPG

Saddler on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Dartboy wrote: »

LCD012.jpg

Good times.

!!!

Panzer Dragoon?!
    Yep, there was an R-Zone version. I mean obviously it couldn't be as good as the real game but you'd be surprised at the depth of some of these late-gen LCD games. I have Virtua Fighter 2 for the R-Zone and it has like 8 characters with 4 unique special moves each. Obviously there isn't a lot of detail in the animations or anything but I thought it was neat.

Other R-Zone games that I wish I could've tried were Battle Arena Toshinden, Mortal Kombat Trilogy, NiGHTS, Primal Rage and Road Rash 3. There was surprising variety for it.

There were three versions of the R-Zone: the crappy one you wear on your head, a small GameGear styled one, and this monstrosity:
    tigerrzonesuperscreenly0.jpg
    All of them played the same cartridges which was really cool.

Here are some other pictures of my many handheld games:

LCD007.jpg
    LCD003.jpg
    LCD010.jpg
    (classic!)

I only wish I had this:
    tigernightsintodreamszl7.jpg

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I'd love to have a copy of Panzer Dragoon for that thing. My R-Zone is probably buried under tons of worthless junk (which isn't really unfitting) in a box somewhere, but I'd just love to have the cartridge.

mntorankusu on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I think I also still have this somewhere:

1HH_-_Bandai_Golf.jpg

Again, not an LCD game. Actually an LED game. It made terrible beeping noises very loudly.

GSM on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I had a Tetris watch and a Star Fox watch, box of which came from cereal boxes. I once played the Star Fox one for so long that it stopped keeping track of my score :(

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    GSM wrote: »
    I also have Galaxian, one of those weird pinball based videogame imitations.

It was awesome, because the ships on the right would flip over when you got a ball in the pocket, revealing a small picture of explosions!

Tomy-GalaxianPinball.jpg

Somewhere I have a centipede themed magnet pinball game from Tomy as well...

edit: Hmm... not sure if this is acceptable in the LCD thread?

yep, definitel acceptable! I had a handheld device that wasn't led or lcd. It was weird. It had three guards which would go up and down, and you were on a horse and had to try and ride underneath them. If you hit the right then you got a point and your character got dragged all the way back to the left.

It was brilliant.

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    The best handheld LCD game I had was probably this deluxe pool game. It looked like a huge hockey puck, with a stubby pool cue sticking through it. You actually rotated the bottom half to aim, and pulled the cue back to shoot. Surprisingly, the physics were very good. I can't seem to find a picture of it anywhere.

GSM on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    bruin wrote: »
    Tiger-StreetFighter2.jpg

I used to play a lot of this. Damn, maybe it's still around somewhere.

Haha, I had that one!

It was surprisingly good for an LCD game. Each of the 6 characters had 2 special moves that were generally done in the same way as the regular game. You could move forward/back, and jump, and block and throw projectiles. It was not bad.

But I should've just gotten the game for my Gameboy. Oh well :P

I also had a couple of these watches:

Tiger-NinjaGaiden.jpg

Tiger-DoubleDragonWatch.jpg

These were the ones I had. Ninja Gaiden and Double Dragon.

That's right. Watches. That were also LCD games.

Man was I dorky little guy.

slash000 on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Oh yeah?

LCD002.jpg

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I remember the worst mistake I ever made in second grade. My grandma offered to get me a Christmas present of my choosing and I saw in a JCPenny Christmas catalog the Super Mario 3 game watch. I wanted that like no other. She said wouldn't you rather have me get you a game boy and some games? I said shut your fucking mouth you old wench you have no idea whats fun and cool because this ain't 1947 bitch.

So she got the watch. That thing made no fucking sense at all. King Koopa was at the top and mario was at the bottom and you can use a pipe and hit the one block for a leaf. I have no idea what I did with that watch. I also had the Sonic LCD game and got pretty far with that.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TubaFrogTubaFrog Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I had the orange Donkey Kong and black Pinball Game & Watch multiscreen games. (I was a leet Nintendo fanboy before I even knew it...)

I also had the little yellow Burgertime with the tiny joystick. That was a birthday to remember!

edit: oh, man! Donkey Kong watch is off the chain!

TubaFrog on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    TubaFrog wrote: »
    Iedit: oh, man! Donkey Kong watch is off the chain!
    It's actually really good, just like playing a real Donkey Kong level. It's mostly like classic DK level 2, with the moving platforms and items to pick up.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Do any of those watches tell the time?

GSM on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    GSM wrote: »
    Do any of those watches tell the time?

I've got a feeling I used that as a selling-point when trying to convince my parents to buy me one. "But I'll also know what time it is, too!"

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    cursor101cursor101 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Afterburner was where it was at back in 1993

cursor101 on
    MK:DS 451051-559978
    Guy1: There's nothing bitchin about the games soundtrack. It's practically all elevator music.

Guy2: That's just hilariously stupid. I can't imagine playing a fighting game with "Girl from Ipanema" playing in the background.