As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Let's Play!]Fallout Tactics - Great Bend Part 1b (and 2!): Poor Rage (NSF56k)

14567810»

• Options
    MalechaiMalechai Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Glad to see your back. Been missing this LP so hard.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    I used to be a huge fan of Fallout Tactics. Then I realized that Jagged Alliance 2 (with the fan patch) does almost everything better. If you liked FT, I highly suggest it.

Doc on
  • Options
    Steel AngelSteel Angel Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Doc wrote: »
    I used to be a huge fan of Fallout Tactics. Then I realized that Jagged Alliance 2 (with the fan patch) does almost everything better. If you liked FT, I highly suggest it.

The almost is a big one though. The combat itself tends to be more satisfying in JA2, but FT blows it away in terms of atmosphere. I'm enough of a military historian and weapons enthusiast to enjoy the real life weapons in JA2 1.13 a lot, but it still doesn't have powered armor, energy weapons, or a gauntlet that fires shotgun shells.

It was both atmosphere and game mechanics that gave X-Com its enduring appeal and we still wait for a true successor.

Steel Angel on
    Big Dookie wrote: »
    I found that tilting it doesn't work very well, and once I started jerking it, I got much better results.

Steam Profile
    3DS: 3454-0268-5595 Battle.net: SteelAngel#1772
  • Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Wait, if he came back a month ago, why are people welcoming him back a month later?
    Darn it, you got my hopes up for an update

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZapnutZapnut Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    ok I have been playing this game for about a day now (loads of fun) but for some reason all the characters and animals, well basically everything that’s not scenery sort of fades in and out Evan a dead body with blood around it will fade in an out, is this supposed to happen?

Been enjoying the LP by the way :)

Zapnut on
    I’m getting to be the most technical boy in town.
  • Options
    DamascusxieDamascusxie Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    It's based on the line of sight your characters can trace to them. If you go behind a wall, the people on the other side will disappear, including bodies and some special things (like computer terminals that you can use).

Damascusxie on
    starlordsig1-2.jpg
  • Options
    ZapnutZapnut Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    yeah but evan my characters standing in the open, and guys standing next to me are all flashing just seems weird that there doing it all the time?

Zapnut on
    I’m getting to be the most technical boy in town.
  • Options
    DocDoc Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    Anyone play the multiplayer on this game? I remember when it first came out and there was only the release patch, I set up all my characters for multiplayer and realized that I had nobody with driving skill, but not enough points to create another human or whatever. So I created a dog with a really high driving skill. Sure enough, he was the one that would drive the Humvee whenever he was in it. I'm not sure if this has been patched.

Doc on
  • Options
    xRav3nxxRav3nx Registered User new member
    edited July 2009
    So, is this LP just abandoned? It was some of the best reading material a man could ask for...

xRav3nx on
  • Options
    twotimertwotimer Registered User new member
    edited September 2010
    I can't believe this hasn't been bumped to oblivion - best LP I've ever read! Got me to reinstall the game too, after all these years... Shame themocaw never finished, but... what a climatic point to leave things at.

twotimer on
  • Options
    TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Oh you son of a... Thought it was getting an update! :(

TeeMan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I'm determined to keep bumping this until there is an update.

Honestly, any means necessary - if ten people shell out ten bucks, you reckon themocaw could be bribed into finishing it for $100? Technically, that would be the beginning of a career as a professional writer, which, given the record so far, is what the world wants him to do.

Themocaw, where art thou?

twotimer on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    You're new here, so you might not know this, but we don't really "do" thread bumping here. Basically if a thread looses impetus over time, you leave it to do so. Jumping the thread back up to the front page without anything useful to add other than wanting to keep it on the front page is pretty much frowned upon. And more to the point, is likely to get you infracted.

subedii on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I hear ya.

This LP got me reinstalling the game and loading my old saves... and an idea started sloshing around in the sewers I call my brain.

Since themocaw doesn't go the distance, I took it upon myself to do something similar to his work. Just a short story, set right after osceolla with my old squad:
    I walked up to Latham, pointing my Mark XIX at his head. He looked up at me, his limp hands holding on to the Tommy gun like grim death.
    ‘Find a rope, we’re taking him with us’ I ordered. Latham exhaled and I heard a gurgle as blood filled his lungs. He flexed his muscles, commanding whatever strength he had left and the Tommy gun twitched in his hands.
    BANG! I heard a gunshot, the tommy gun bursting and grazing my calf. I involuntarily squeezed the trigger and his throat exploded, hit by a hollowpoint from my Desert Eagle. I watched a bubble of blood form and pop at Latham’s gunshot wound. His eyes rolled back in his head and he was done for.
    ‘Hot damn, commander’ Jax whistled. ‘Beautiful gun work. But…’ I couldn’t make out the rest because he fired a SAW burst at Latham’s body. The word ‘overkill’ pretty much defined Jax for me.
    ‘Just to be sure it’s good riddance to the fucker.’ He beamed one of his crazed grins at me. I gave him a grim look back.
    ‘Police the bodies, salvage what you can and let’s move out.’ I muttered. Mission accomplished.

We could still hear the gunfire from the nearby battle as we left Osceolla. Jax and Stoma begged to go help out and ‘bring some more pain’, but our orders were clear – report back to base with Latham’s belongings. We couldn’t risk it.

We drove back in a somber mood. The menace from the West, whatever it was, was capable of single-handedly shredding an entire platoon of Super Mutants and worse yet, it had taken Barnaky. Not that there was any love lost between my squad and the General but the Brotherhood looks out after its own. We weren’t going to sit back and let a POW be interrogated for information and most likely tortured.
    ‘Fuck the General, it’s the Power armor I wanna get my hands on’ was Jax’s viewpoint. ‘Imagine blowing things away with a .50 cal without having to worry about return fire, bullets bouncing off you like ping pong balls.’ He made a dreamy face. The rest of us said nothing on the drive back. Mother, as usual, slept in the back of the Humvee, occasionally waking up to devour a roasted Iguana or a meat pie.

About a day’s drive away from the bunker we hit some rough terrain. Rocks, cliffs, giant mutated cactuses, the usual cast members of a pilot’s worst nightmare. We drove slowly through a narrow canyon and then it happened. We got out in the open to be greeted by a platoon of heavily armored Super Mutant stragglers armed to the teeth. Panicked, I hit the pedal to the metal as they opened fire. Sparks flew where the 7.62 rounds bounced off the Humvee. The only thing I can remember from the next few seconds is the symphony of SAWs with the rhythmical, slower thudding of .50 cal Brownings blowing holes in the Humvee’s exterior. We wheezed past the mutants into the open and miraculously I didn’t crash into any of the large rocks cluttering the wasteland ahead. Then the mask flew off the Humvee and steam coming from the engine clouded my vision. We swerved left, miraculously fitting the vehicle between two large rocks on either side as the engine went silent and came to a stop a few hundred yards away from the mutants still firing.

Then there was silence. I was finally able to pry my cold fingers off the steering wheel when the rear left door slowly came off its hinges and landed on the sand with a dull clank.

My squad leaped out of the vehicle. ‘Incoming!’ Jax yelled as a rocket hit one of the rocks and the explosion obscured the vision of the Super mutants advancing in a cloud of dust.
    ‘Commander…? Commander?’ Dillon jabbed me in the ribs with his finger. I looked into the ghoul’s single eye. The firing from the Super Mutants resumed.

‘We needs to get the en-geene fixed, fast’ he said calmly like ordering a bottle of Gamma Gulp. Jax opened the door on my side and forcibly pulled me out of the vehicle.

fbos0001.jpg

‘We’ll cover you and hold them fucktards off as long as we can. Get a hold of yourself, soldier!’ he bellowed, shaking me. I blinked. I did not understand a single word of what he’d said. ‘Stoma! Grab some 7.62 and take position by the rock. Move!’ he ordered the senior ranking tribal. Stoma obeyed. Jax positioned himself behind one of the rocks with a Minigun.

‘Open up your lovin’ arms, watch out, here I come…’ he hummed as he fired up the minigun. The first wave of unarmored Mutants arrived and Jax squeezed the trigger; the mutants were instantly obliterated in the spinning muzzle flash of the six barrels.

‘You spin me right round, baby, right round, like a record baby right round round round…’
    ‘We gots us a flat tyre!’ I heard Harold exclaim over the gunfire. Dillon grabbed a toolset from the back and scurried back to the front to check the engine as three more mutants emerged from between the rocks to be met by crossfire from Jax and Stoma. Mother circled around the Humvee with a spare tire which she placed at Dillon’s feet. She then proceeded to lift the front of the Humvee as Dillon crouched to replace the flat.

‘See your guts flyin’ around, this looks like a lotta fun, open up your mutie arms…’ Jax continued the strangest battle cry in BOS history as he reloaded. The Mutants were closing in, with spears and knives and pipes at first, but then came the first one with a SAW.

And then another, heavily armored. They got a few good shots in before collapsing.
    I finally came to my senses. Jax and Stoma were dug in, using the dead mutants as sandbags, blasting away at the rest of the platoon we couldn’t see. Dillon had finished replacing the tire in record time and moved on to the steaming engine. Harold scurried past me into the driver’s seat, intermittently trying the ignition as Dillon frantically maneuvered a wrench in the machinery.

fbos0002.jpg

‘I’m OUT ‘ Jax yelled and pushed the minigun aside, picking up a super mutant’s SAW.
    A rocket hit the rock next to Stoma and the explosion shook the ground. All we could see was a cloud of dust where he’d taken position just seconds ago. ‘Stoma is down! Stoma is DOWN’ Jax bellowed, getting up to charge.

fbos0003.jpg

‘Get right back here, initiate, that’s an order!’ I screamed after him, but he’d already disappeared behind one of the rocks. A familiar sound of a revving engine got me to turn around – the Humvee was just about operational again. The sound of the gunfire died down seconds later. The next thing I remember, I was in the back of the Humvee, Mother restraining me from rushing after Jax. Distance grew between us and the two rocks where two of my soldiers had just sacrificed their lives to save ours as Dillon navigated the Hummer through the Wasteland into the settling night.

So here's the three options I'm thinking:

1) I do this LP - properly, images, intro, setting, bringing in the characters and their personalities from the beginning right to the end of the game, 'tough guy' mode.

2) I (with the help of volunteers, if there are any) finish themocaw's work - edit the saves to get the exact same team and attempt to finish his LP with cindylu

3) Let the thread die and leave the story unfinished as the author intended.

Thoughts?

Respecting the forum rules, I will not bump this thread again.

twotimer on
  • Options
    MalechaiMalechai Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    I would let themocaw's work stand as it is. He had a nice run and I don't think I would want some one ghost writting the end of my works. If you want to fire up a new run and go start to finish that's totaly cool but would suggest starting a new thread for it.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg