As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The New Mac Thread: Still loving Leopard despite it's spots

• Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    hmm

i think i'll call the store beforehand

Faricazy on
  • Options
    apotheosapotheos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2007
    Huh. My macbook just lost a little sliver of white plastic exactly where the little ridge on the top of the display meets the case.

I have Applecare. Should I call Apple? (in Canada and nowhere near an Apple store)

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    FaricazyFaricazy Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    apo i have the same thing

apple covers it apparently

Faricazy on
  • Options
    Evil_ReaverEvil_Reaver Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I had the plastic break on the palm rest area on my Macbook a few months ago. The magnets like to pull those stupid ridges on the lid right in to the plastic, so unless you gently close your notebook every single time, you're going to have this happen to you eventually.

Anyway, as long as your Macbook is still under warranty they'll replace your keyboard/palmrest for free.

Evil_Reaver on
    XBL: Agitated Wombat | 3DS: 2363-7048-2527
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Does anyone know of a free program that would work equivalent to this?

http://stinkbot.com/Tubesock/

Being able to download youtube videos/ audio files is basically what it does.

Shameless bump

If you use Firefox, there's an extension called Download Helper that will let you dl youtube stuff. You can use ffmpegx to convert them to whatever you need once you've downloaded the .flv file.

If you use Safari, open the Activity window and look for the biggest file loading. Hold option and double-click it. Rename it Something.flv if it doesn't get a good name. Perrian, VLC, and others can play the files directly. I prefer Perrian right in Quicktime for convenience and potential format conversion.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I had the plastic break on the palm rest area on my Macbook a few months ago. The magnets like to pull those stupid ridges on the lid right in to the plastic, so unless you gently close your notebook every single time, you're going to have this happen to you eventually.

Anyway, as long as your Macbook is still under warranty they'll replace your keyboard/palmrest for free.

Do I have to send it away?

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    apotheos wrote: »

Nah. Just make an appointment at an Apple store and they'll do it in house. The store I went to fixed it up in a couple of hours even though they told me it might take a day or two.

Evil_Reaver on
  • Options
    DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So I'm working on a project for anthropology class about Apple. If any of you wouldn't mind being subjected to some interviewing, drop me a PM! I'd really appreciate it.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • Options
    Dark MoonDark Moon Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So the mouse button on my 6 month old Macbook feels...funny. When I depress it, instead of it being one fluid motion with a click when it reaches the bottom, it feels wobbly and there are now two distinct clicks on the way down(only one triggers a click in the OS though). It's intermittent, as this only happens once ever 3 or 4 clicks. Thing is, when I first noticed this a few days ago it was only once every 20 clicks. Is this a common issue with the Macbook mouse button? I tried googling it, but came up short.

Dark Moon on
    3072973561_de17a80845_o.jpg
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    DeathPrawn wrote: »
    So I'm working on a project for anthropology class about Apple. If any of you wouldn't mind being subjected to some interviewing, drop me a PM! I'd really appreciate it.

PM'd

ben0207 on
  • Options
    BangarangBangarang Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Just got my new 20" iMac up and running. I'm digging Leopard so far but have run into a couple snags. I used the migration tool during setup to copy all my neccesary bits over from my G4 powerbook. I'm not sure where to get at this, but when I access the imac from the 360, it appears to be named "dougs-powerbook:Connect360" and the old powerbook is now "dougs-powerbook2:Connect 360" Any ideas on how I can change it?

EDIT: Oh yeah, also, I have a copy of XP SP2, but I don't have a printer and Bootcamp HEAVILY suggests printing some installation instructions before starting. I've installed Windows before, but never on a mac. Is this something I should worry about?

Bangarang on
  • Options
    lordswinglordswing Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Bangarang wrote: »
    EDIT: Oh yeah, also, I have a copy of XP SP2, but I don't have a printer and Bootcamp HEAVILY suggests printing some installation instructions before starting. I've installed Windows before, but never on a mac. Is this something I should worry about?

It seems you have a PowerBook, just use that as instructions if you don't feel like printing one out. It's pretty easy from what I remembered.

lordswing on
    D2:LoD East -> *FlipPaulHewitt
  • Options
    Anti-SeanAnti-Sean Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Just got my new 20" iMac up and running. I'm digging Leopard so far but have run into a couple snags. I used the migration tool during setup to copy all my neccesary bits over from my G4 powerbook. I'm not sure where to get at this, but when I access the imac from the 360, it appears to be named "dougs-powerbook:Connect360" and the old powerbook is now "dougs-powerbook2:Connect 360" Any ideas on how I can change it?

Go to System Preferences > Sharing, and edit the contents of the Computer Name field at the top of the preference panel.

Anti-Sean on
  • Options
    Future BluesFuture Blues Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

The instructions are pretty short. You can pull them up on google (since they're hard to find on one's system) and read them without much trouble. Basically the main thing you should take note of is the fact that Apple recommends re-formating the boot camp partition with your windows disk even if you plan to keep it FAT32. And even then, sometimes the installation of XP will fail for unknown reasons. ("missing hal.dll" is the big one; caused by a bug with the way boot camp partitions iirc). If you're installing Vista though, the installation is straightforward and you're unlikely to have any problems even if you don't have the instructions at hand.

Future Blues on
    Xbox Live: No Reply
    Steam: Jacobontap
    LoL: FutureBlues
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Nah. Just make an appointment at an Apple store and they'll do it in house. The store I went to fixed it up in a couple of hours even though they told me it might take a day or two.

It is thousands of kilometers to the nearest Apple store.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Then you will be sending your Macbook thousands of kilometers away. Where do you live? Kenya?

Evil_Reaver on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

Then you will be sending your Macbook thousands of kilometers away. Where do you live? Kenya?

No. Canada.

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Apple : Canada :: George W. Bush : Black People

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Okay, wow. I go onto Apple's website, click to view the guided tour of Leopard, and hey! The mother fucking videos cause Firefox to crash. On XP... >_>

Okay... so yeah, there goes my belief that Apples must be at least a little bit better than PCs in regards to crashing. Does anybody have any Youtube links to those videos?

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    ZackSchillingZackSchilling Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Okay, wow. I go onto Apple's website, click to view the guided tour of Leopard, and hey! The mother fucking videos cause Firefox to crash. On XP... >_>

Okay... so yeah, there goes my belief that Apples must be at least a little bit better than PCs in regards to crashing. Does anybody have any Youtube links to those videos?

How does Firefox under XP crashing reflect badly on Apple? I mean, it's possible a bad version of Quicktime is doing it, but even then the entire browser shouldn't crash. It just seems silly to me.

Oh, and it works here in Firefox on my PC.

ZackSchilling on
    ghost-robot.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2007

So your PC can't run Flash properly and you think this reflects on Apple?

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    SueveSueve Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

... This makes little sense, but thats been said.

Sueve on
  • Options
    edited December 2007

No. Canada.

That's rough, dude. There might be one closer to you if you did live in Kenya.

Evil_Reaver on
  • Options
    Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

I have updated everything to it's most current release and I still cannot view those videos off the apple website without FF crashing. I have never had this problem before so yes, I take it does bad.

Lucky Cynic on
  • Options
    WheezerWheezer Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So, I whip up my Macbook Pro in a taxi while working, and what do you know, nothing comes up on the screen. A few restarts later, and it's still black.

I got home and called Apple tech support. The guy was nice enough, perhaps from India, and confirmed through some basic steps that yes, my screen is indeed broken. He also told me I'll need a trip to a service center to get it fixed.

Nevermind that it's about a month old, and under warranty, but it's such a hassle when the nearest service center is in Shanghai, and it's either five hours in a bus or a flight to get my comp up and running.

Ranting aside, is there any way I could claim Apple for the expenses of the flight or the bus to Shanghai, or even overnight express fees? I mean I understand that they are not responsible for making my work harder, but it's a nasty inconvenience.

Lucky thing I bought a backup disk with the computer, and I have an up-to-date backup, about an hour before the computer broke.

Wheezer on
    megamansig.jpg
  • Options
    HypertimeHypertime Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    is there any way I could claim Apple for the expenses of the flight or the bus to Shanghai, or even overnight express fees? I mean I understand that they are not responsible for making my work harder, but it's a nasty inconvenience.

Not unless you have some sort of corporate contract. I'd call again and explain your situation [and frustration (and the cost)] and escalate until they respond in some positive way to your needs.

Hypertime on
    Your mom.
  • Options
    DigDug2000DigDug2000 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

Just FYI, the videos on Apple's site (at least for me) use Quicktime. Quicktime (especially QT for Windows) is a shitty product. This has been long known and accepted by all. Its why we all use QT Alternative.

DigDug2000 on
  • Options
    JeakJeak Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Wheezer wrote: »
    So, I whip up my Macbook Pro in a taxi while working, and what do you know, nothing comes up on the screen. A few restarts later, and it's still black. ...lots of words
    If it's under warranty then surely they'll pick-up and return your macbook via courier free of charge.

Jeak on
  • Options
    Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Jeak wrote: »
    Wheezer wrote: »
    So, I whip up my Macbook Pro in a taxi while working, and what do you know, nothing comes up on the screen. A few restarts later, and it's still black. ...lots of words
    If it's under warranty then surely they'll pick-up and return your macbook via courier free of charge.

Yep. My under-warrantied PowerBook's hard drive died, so they mailed me a postage-paid box that I sent it to them in.

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • Options
    ROFISHROFISH AnehiixiiRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I thought it was cool how Leopard knew my iBook was a laptop and the 'Shared' icon for it was a laptop.

But when you zoomed in on the icon, it actually says 'iBook G4' on it. Apparently it also knows the difference between the White Macbook and the Black Macbook too!

Look in /System/Library/CoreServices/CoreTypes.bundle/Contents/Resources/, there's icons for almost every Mac made in the past 4 years.

ROFISH on
    sig3.png
  • Options
    MarlorMarlor Registered User regular
    edited December 2007

Mine has developed a crack there as well.

I'm currently trying to decide whether to send it off now or after Christmas.

Marlor on
    Mario Kart Wii: 1332-8060-5236 (Aaron)
  • Options
    MentisMentis Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    So I'm new to this Mac thing. I have leopard, Lovin' it so far.
    Is there anything important or cool I should know besides the OP stuff?

Mentis on
    Minecraft & XBL name: TheCJX
    Steam: Ashengor
  • Options
    Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    3rd party add on to allow quicklook to view the contents of folders and zip files:

http://www.tuaw.com/2007/11/27/quick-look-folder-and-zip-plugins/

Every leopard user should install this.

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • Options
    Mathew BurrackMathew Burrack CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Marlor wrote: »
    Mine has developed a crack there as well./QUOTE]

Ditto mine, or rather my wife's. She originally had the discoloration as well as cracking, and they fixed it free of charge. Now of course it's started cracking *again*. I never thought about the whole magnet-causing-it-to-close-with-force thing, though, but it makes perfect sense now. Problem is, it's now out of warranty (first Mac I've ever had out of 10 or so where they forgot to send me the reminder for extending the warranty coverage, weird) so I have no idea if they'd charge for fixing the cracks or not, and a new lower case is like $100 off of pbfixit.com. Ugh.

Luckily, my MBPro is still solid as a rock :)

Oh, and...
    Dark Moon wrote: »
    So the mouse button on my 6 month old Macbook feels...funny. When I depress it, instead of it being one fluid motion with a click when it reaches the bottom, it feels wobbly and there are now two distinct clicks on the way down(only one triggers a click in the OS though).

Note: My wife's MB also had this problem originally, although it was there almost from the start and I didn't really think much of it. Took it in, and it turns out it was a symptom of the battery swelling! The guy showed me where, since the battery basically rests right underneath the trigger for the trackpad button, if it swells, it presses up against the button and causes it to act funny. Get a replacement battery and you should be good to go (go figure, I would've never thought about it, either!) Although I'd recommend taking it in to an Apple store just to be sure.

Mathew Burrack on
    "Let's take a look at the scores! The girls are at the square root of Pi, while the boys are still at a crudely drawn picture of a duck. Clearly, it's anybody's game!"
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    Note: My wife's MB also had this problem originally, although it was there almost from the start and I didn't really think much of it. Took it in, and it turns out it was a symptom of the battery swelling! The guy showed me where, since the battery basically rests right underneath the trigger for the trackpad button, if it swells, it presses up against the button and causes it to act funny. Get a replacement battery and you should be good to go (go figure, I would've never thought about it, either!) Although I'd recommend taking it in to an Apple store just to be sure.

Presumably you could run off AC with now battery to confirm if this fixes your wacky mouse button issues....er...can you do that? Never tried....

apotheos on

猿も木から落ちる
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    so I've got a first gen macbook w/1Gb ram. I'm starting to move from bootcamp to Parallels, but find that it is making my sys crawl. Obvious solution, more ram. Google led me to this:
    $30 for 1GB
    which seems like a deal that's too good to be true when compared to Apple's prices:
    $150 for 1Gb

Is this ram crap, or a really good deal? If it's crap, where's a good place to look for MacBook ram?

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    Cameron_TalleyCameron_Talley Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I can't speak for the particular 3rd-party RAM you linked, but Apple charges horrendous prices for RAM. DO NOT buy memory from them!

Cameron_Talley on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-4598-4278-8875
    3DS Friend Code: 0404-6826-4588 PM if you add.
  • Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Is this ram crap, or a really good deal? If it's crap, where's a good place to look for MacBook ram?

I get my memory fix from Crucial. Not as cheap as other, but better than Apple.

MichaelLC on
  • Options
    Drunk_caterpillarDrunk_caterpillar Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    so I've got a first gen macbook w/1Gb ram. I'm starting to move from bootcamp to Parallels, but find that it is making my sys crawl. Obvious solution, more ram. Google led me to this:
    $30 for 1GB
    which seems like a deal that's too good to be true when compared to Apple's prices:
    $150 for 1Gb

Having used Macs for a good long while now I can honestly say that sometimes an increased price, even a 500% increase, is something I'm willing to put up with so long as it just fucking works. OS X stresses memory way more than Windows does, and you need to give it good RAM to keep it happy. My old production G4 just about croaked when I tried putting Kingston RAM in it, which meant that I could have potentially lost way more money than it cost to buy RAM from Apple.

So look, I'm not saying that you can't buy some OCZ or Corsair stuff, but if you're doing critical, critical work, just over look the disparity. Oh, and totally fucking avoid Kingston RAM. That stuff sucks maggoty whore ass.

Drunk_caterpillar on
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    MichaelLC wrote: »

I get my memory fix from Crucial. Not as cheap as other, but better than Apple.

Well looks like Crucial is the same price ($30) and cheaper for 2x 1Gb even ($55). Sweet.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life