As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Sega Saturn 4 life!

ViolyntViolynt regular
edited December 2007 in Games and Technology
I picked up a Japanese Sega Saturn not to long ago and I am wondering what games I should pick up.

I've already bought Radiant Silvergun and Panzer Dragoon Saga. See, I bought this Saturn months ago but I needed to save to buy the 2 games I wanted. Which were those 2 and now that I have those so I turn to you PA people to help me out.

These are the games I am going to buy. Anything to add to it my friends?
Current list:
Panzer Dragoon
Panzer Dragoon 2
Virtual On
Virtua fighter 2
Nights
Dragon Force
Gundam Blue Destiny
Burning Rangers
Guardian Heroes
Duke Nukem 3d
Shinobi Legions

ssunodxnewmt6sz1.jpg

satpdsagapalcibjm7.jpg

chimpanzeeglockfh1.gif

0989rb2.jpg

dragonforce7zw3.jpg

pd1io1.jpg

PS. The Saturn controller is kick ass and also should I buy a S-Video cable ?

PPS. Use this thread to talk about anything Saturn related.

f4ded.png
violynt.png
Violynt on

• Options
    WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I really want to get one! I'm trying to convince my cousin to let me borrow his + Virtua Cop + the light guns cause god damn that was sweet.

So my recommendation:
    Virtua Cop, Virtua Cop 2 + light guns + a friend

Wezoin on
  • Options
    SmashismSmashism Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Awesome list man. Couldn't have made a better once myself. Are these pretty cheap on ebay? I should get one again.

Smashism on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I forgot how much the Saturn game boxes sucked.

Couscous on
  • Options
    ViolyntViolynt regular
    edited December 2007
    Uhm, how'd that monkey with a gun get there.

Well to the guy a few posts above the 2 games I bought weren't cheap, pretty far from it.

But the rest are well worth the money and are about $15-$20.

Violynt on
    f4ded.png
    violynt.png
  • Options
    WuckFarcraftWuckFarcraft Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    They were supposed to be coming out with a Dragon Force port for PS2. A google search shows an IGN page for it. That game was awesome and people are selling it on ebay for over 50 dollars.

WuckFarcraft on
  • Options
    RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    This thread needs way more Astal.

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    Pick up a NetLink so I can kick your ass at Duke Nukem 3D and Daytona USA CCE.

Tomb Raider had an excellent release on the Saturn. Debate rages among supernerds as to which console had the superior version (Saturn or PS1), but basically the PS1 version has a larger color palette, but the Saturn version has slightly sharper models, a slightly better framerate, and saves much quicker.

The Saturn version of Resident Evil has a battle mode and a couple of new monsters as well. If you've never played through the original, you might as well check out the Saturn version if you can get ahold of it.

Clockwork Knight is really good. It's the first 2D platformer with 3D elements that I know of (similar to Tomba), you play as a Clockwork Knight who has to run through the house to rescue his woman, fighting toys as you go. It puts off a real Toy Story vibe, which is good.

Back when everyone said that the PS1 couldn't handle Quake, Lobotomy went and ported it to the Saturn (and then Hammerhead ported Quake II to the PS1. Moral of the story is don't listen to people). It's an excellent port, losing only a few multiplayer levels and having some bonus levels changed. The Saturn version actually pushes more level geometry than the N64 version does. If you can find it, it's worth picking up, especially if you've never played through Quake before. Not having multiplayer is kind of sad, though.

Get Baku Baku if you live puzzle games. It's the most fun I've had with a puzzle game since Ballistic.

You've got some really good shooters, but if you're looking for one that's also good but won't run you more than a couple of bucks you should check out Galactic Attack. It has a cool lock-on system where you can shoot your lasers at stuff in front of you, and then lock on and fire missiles at stuff in the background.

Also, your Saturn will store game saves using a CR-2032 battery (a common watch battery, used by a lot of other stuff, including Dreamcast VMUs), but it'll die eventually, and you'll lose your saves. You should invest in a memory cart. Try and get a first party Sega cart if you can. Other manufacturer's cards will usually work fine, but the problem is the plastic in them is slightly wider than the plastic used in the Sega cart, so they will widen the gap between the contact points in your console whenever you have it in there. This can cause trouble later on if you want to put in a different cart (like a RAM cart for some Capcom or Neo Geo stuff, or a NetLink) later on, since the contacts will be wider than the cart and they may not connect.

Also, get Sega Rally. It's awesome. Speaking of Racing games, Daytona USA pretty much was given out in boxes of cereal by Sega at the time (it was one of the three games that you got for a while for free when you registered your console), but it's still a lot of fun. If you can track down the CCE (Championship Circuit Edition) of it you should check it out. Since Daytona USA was an extremely rushed port, the framerate sucked and there were some small issues with collision. CCE was reworked using the Sega Rally engine, so it looks a little better, performes much better, and has three extra tracks. The drift mechanics are different, though. There is aCCE Netlink edition as well, which appropriately enough lets you play it using a NetLink, but is really, really rare.

Also, S-Video get if you can. I'm stuck with composite, but at least it ain't RF.

Einhander on
  • Options
    YardGnomeYardGnome Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    ...Why is there a monkey with a gun?

YardGnome on
  • Options
    LovelyLovely Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Raslin wrote: »
    This thread needs way more Astal.

STRONGLY seconded. Just a wonderful 2-d sidescroller. Beautiful in both looks and in sound. Not to mention that it was pretty fun to play back in the day.

Lovely on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    What? This thread has come this far with no mention of Saturn Bomberman? All of you fail.

Also, I like In The Hunt a lot, but I'm weird...

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    GeodGeod swim, swim, hungryRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I'm curious, how does playing different region games on the Saturn work? Can you play North American games on the Japanese Saturn, or vice versa? Or do you need some sort of freeloader? I'd like to get Radiant Silvergun at some point, but also non-Japanese games.

EDIT: I also always enjoyed Bug! on the system. Guilty pleasure.

Geod on
  • Options
    EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2007
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    What? This thread has come this far with no mention of Saturn Bomberman? All of you fail.

Saturn Bomberman with 2 Team Players (multitaps, for a total of ten players) is pretty much the best thing ever.

I've only ever been involved in it once, but it's something I would track down the equipment for if I ever thought I could find nine other people who would play Saturn Bomberman with me.

Also, monkey with a gun right click save target as.

Einhander on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I still have a RTS Godzilla game that I've NEVER been able to figure out. I've never been able to find a faq or translation or anything. I wish I could sell it.

Also, more Bug.

BUG JOOOOOOOOOSE!

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    ViolyntViolynt regular
    edited December 2007
    I remember the Tomb Raider debate back in the day... oh my.

Yea I will probably pick up Tomb raider and Clockwork night as well.

Quake runs slower than the other versions though, as in the monsters and what not move slower to compensate for the tougher controls and I'm not sure I'd like that.

Bug! I remember playing that on my PC way back when... man where does the time go.

Violynt on
    f4ded.png
    violynt.png
  • Options
    ElementalorElementalor Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    If you're into fighters, Saturn had great releases; Xmen vs Street Fighter, Marvel vs Street Fighter, the KoF Series, Samurai Shodown IV(i don't think 3 ran very well), DoA 1 was ok, a little too right though.

Also, there was the DnD beat'em up set, Castlevania(load times were kinda horrible). Oh and the Shining series were niftly Action RPGs.

And to do import on whatever system, you just need a 4-in-1 Pro Action Replay(best choice since some games need the RAM cart 1 or 4)

Elementalor on
    Marvel Future Fight: dElementalor
    FFBE: 898,311,440
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/dElementalor
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Geod wrote: »
    I'm curious, how does playing different region games on the Saturn work? Can you play North American games on the Japanese Saturn, or vice versa? Or do you need some sort of freeloader? I'd like to get Radiant Silvergun at some point, but also non-Japanese games.

EDIT: I also always enjoyed Bug! on the system. Guilty pleasure.

Usually you just need an import cartridge, like an ST-KEY(what I use) or a hybrid RAM/import cart(what I hear is better).

I got into importing barely a year after getting my Saturn; first system I did that with.

Working Designs define the Saturn for me, like most systems they backed up.

Dragon Force, Albert Odyssey, Shining Wisdom, Magic Knight Rayearth...

But Sega were no slouches: NiGHTS, Burning Rangers, Shining The Holy Ark, Shining Force III, etc.

I'm something of a black sheep considering my feelings of Panzer Dragoon Saga(not worth the effort/cost), but I still love the system.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    ViolyntViolynt regular
    edited December 2007
    I have the 4 in 1 cart so imports aren't a problem.

And on that monkey, I have no idea how that got there, honest. I'm leaving it up though.

Violynt on
    f4ded.png
    violynt.png
  • Options
    MattitudeMattitude Paste Pot Pete Kicking The BucketRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Saturn was my first console. I still have it along with a healthy collection of games and peripherals. of course over here there's a load of stuff we never got but I've managed to amass:

Analouge and regular (Mark II) controllers, official sega lightgun, third party lightgun, official steering wheel and arcade stick (huge!)

and a ton of games:

Alien Trilogy
    Athlete Kings
    Batman Forever
    Clockwork Knight
    Command and Conquer
    Christmas NiGHTS (Special Demo and goodies disc for nights. Christmas themed with clock-activated features)
    Croc
    Dark Saviour
    Darklight COnflict
    Daytona USA
    Daytona USA: Championship Circuit Edition
    Destruction Derby
    Die Hard Arcade
    Die Hard Trilogy
    Discworld
    Discworld II
    Dragon Force
    Duke Nukem 3D
    Exhumed
    Fighters Megamix
    Firestorm: Thunderhawk 2
    Guardian Heroes
    Hexen
    House of The Dead
    Jonah Lomu Rugby
    Last Bronx
    Manx TT Superbike
    Mass Destruction
    Mortal Kombat II
    NiGHTS into Dreams
    Panzer Dragoon
    Panzer Dragoon II Zwei
    Panzer Dragoon Saga
    Quake
    Resident Evil
    Sega Ages (Afterburner II, Space Harrier and Outrun)
    Sega Rally
    Sega Touring Car
    Sonic 3D
    Sonic R
    Sonic Jam
    Soviet Strike
    Space Hulk
    Steep SLope Sliders
    Street Fighter Alpha 2
    Tilt!
    Tomb Raider
    Torico
    True Pinball
    Tunnel B1
    Virtua Cop
    Virtua Cop 2
    Virtua Fighter
    Virtua Fighter 2
    Virtual On
    Warcraft II
    Wipeout 2097
    World League Soccer
    Worms
    X-Men Children of the Atom.

A lot of crap in there I know, but I'm proud in knowing that so much of that would have cost me a fortune If I hadn't bought it when I came out. Which is why I weep at night for Burning Rangers.

Mattitude on
    I got this Tumblr and I don't know how to use it.
    Decide on the next line by the rhyme when I choose it.
    Also I put songs on YouTube
    The musings of this lonely rube.

I made a thread once. It didn't end well for me.
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I've never owned, touched, or seen a Sega Saturn. What does its start-up menu look like? The CD Player? Any nifty features?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    leafleaf Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    sega 4 lyfe not just 4 a day

(I've never actually owned any sega junk before finding a genesis for $5 at a pawnshop last year)

leaf on
    newsig-notweed.jpg
  • Options
    ViolyntViolynt regular
    edited December 2007
    Any place I could buy those twin sticks for Virtual on? Ebay turns up nothing.

Violynt on
    f4ded.png
    violynt.png
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Panzer Dragoon Saga, god that game is hard to get a hold of without shelling out a shit load of money for it.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    What's funny is that what should be the rarest Saturn game of all, the very last one(Magic Knight Rayearth), isn't that difficult to get at all.

I went into a store on release day and bought it.

The game didn't even make a blip on the radar.

There's more listings for Panzer Dragoon Saga than MKR, yet PDS costs more.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Red or AliveRed or Alive Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Layer Section and Dodonpachi, if you're into shooters. They're cheap and very, very good indeed.

Red or Alive on
  • Options
    ViolyntViolynt regular
    edited December 2007
    Dondonpachi, is this anything like the ps2 version?

Violynt on
    f4ded.png
    violynt.png
  • Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    That second shot of Dragon Force is using graphics that aren't standard to the game. Is this a shot from the sequel that was never ported?

Raynaga on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I'm pretty sure that's from the Sega Ages port to the PS2(which was also never localized).

I can assure you that Dragon Force 2 looks worse than both of them.

I'll try to track an image from it down.

DF2.jpg

I think they were going for a darker look, and just wound up making it look unpolished.

Also, Dragon Force 2 doesn't have any of the original cast, except
    Katmando. Don't ask me how; he carries the new Tradnor ruler on his shoulder.

It takes place a few centuries later or something.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Radient Silvergun is really really good.

Excellent in fact, easilly one of my favourite shmups, I am so glad I bought it.

If you are
    A) In a position where you can easily afford spend a lot of money on one game you might really like, and get good value out of
    B) Plan to resell it
    C) A Nintendo Shareholder
    You should consider buying it.

Edit: I fell under B, and resold it.

LewieP on
  • Options
    slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    There's actually only 1 copy of Radiant Silvergun in the world.

It just gets sold on Ebay, played, and resold to someone else on Ebay every time.

slash000 on
  • Options
    ViolyntViolynt regular
    edited December 2007
    Should I get the Jap version of Panzer dragoon 2 or the US?

Other than the language is there any difference?

Violynt on
    f4ded.png
    violynt.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    This thread is lacking Magic Knight Rayearth. Still my favorite Saturn game, and still my favorite Working Designs game.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited December 2007
    I want the "monkey with a gun" game.
    For any system
    Fuck why didn't people make a whole "MONKEY WITH GUNS" franchise... RPGS, shmups, FPS, SRPG, CIV MONKEY... All starting on the NES and branching to every console and handheld, including the PC.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Thread needs more Segata Sanshiro.

Segatasanshiro.jpg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3lCF8O2N50

Taramoor on
  • Options
    Red or AliveRed or Alive Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Violynt wrote: »
    Dondonpachi, is this anything like the ps2 version?

It's the prequel to that game. I haven't played Dai Ou Jou so I can't comment on which is better, but the original Dodonpachi is is superb, and comes with an excellent arranged mode exclusive to the Saturn.

Red or Alive on
  • Options
    LingxorLingxor Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    SEGA SATAAN SHIRO

Lingxor on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    This thread is lacking Magic Knight Rayearth. Still my favorite Saturn game, and still my favorite Working Designs game.
    What's funny is that what should be the rarest Saturn game of all, the very last one(Magic Knight Rayearth), isn't that difficult to get at all.

I went into a store on release day and bought it.

The game didn't even make a blip on the radar.

:P

Hardly my favorite Working Designs game, but it was a good send off for the Saturn.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    RaynagaRaynaga Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    cj iwakura wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that's from the Sega Ages port to the PS2(which was also never localized).

I can assure you that Dragon Force 2 looks worse than both of them.

I'll try to track an image from it down.

DF2.jpg

I think they were going for a darker look, and just wound up making it look unpolished.

Also, Dragon Force 2 doesn't have any of the original cast, except
    Katmando. Don't ask me how; he carries the new Tradnor ruler on his shoulder.

It takes place a few centuries later or something.

O_o to that spoiler.

And I don't care by the way, I still want to play it. There is no way it could go from being as awesome as it was in the original to being that bad.

Then again, there's always Warrior Within to prove me wrong....

Raynaga on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    I've been trying to play through Dragon Force 2. My stopping point was about two hours into the game, when a castle with five demon generals that have a hundred soldiers each shows up, blocking any progress.

No thanks.

Interesting note: it also has two kingdoms blocked off, like the original... except they're Tristan and Izumo(?) this time. And there's a new Knight of Masked Death, too, so I was ticked that I couldn't play as him(?).

I guess it's worth playing if you just really want more Dragon Force, but it's like comparing a PS1 game to a PS2 game.

But at least it's voice acted, so you can kind of try to guess what's going on in the story scenes.

I think I got my copy from Play-asia for ~$30(a few years back).

If there's one and only one advantage to Dragon Force 2: split armies. You can use 20 mages, and 80 soldiers, 40 dragons, 60 samurai, etc.

Great for overcoming weaknesses.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    MiserableMirthMiserableMirth Registered User regular
    edited December 2007
    Guys, I played one Saturn game in my life. It was awesome. It was a crazy beat'em up game. There were three characters. One guy had a shot gun, another a baseball bat, and last had a bowling ball I think. If someone got hit, another character would have to go other to him and smack him back into action.

There was also a naked ninja enemy with a black box over his privates, but he get moving a little fast and black box wouldn't always keep up.

Anyone know what this game is? I would so love to revisit it.

MiserableMirth on
  • Options
    edited December 2007
    O_o I've sure never played it.

I'd swear it was an import from the sound of it. I wouldn't think a game like that would have gotten localized. The only Saturn beat'em up I'm familiar with is Guardian Heroes.

And darn it, now I'm tempted to play Dragon Force 2 again. I thought I was done with that evil game and its immortal AI.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png